The Zodiac Rebellion

Corrobin

The Granbellian Empire. A vast, large country that takes up most of the subcontinent of Zeroki. In the year 1134, Emperor Randolph has taken the throne, starting a brutal reign of terror. Curfews appear across the nation. Mages experiment, creating dark monsters and spells to enforce the regime.

The day is the 23rd of March, 1135. The regime has been intact for about a year. Today is the day that the Zodiac Rebellion begins.

Religion in the empire is a relatively tolerant and even split between Dragonism (Your basic FE Naga worshippers with churches, monks, clerics, etc) and Spirituality (A more Shinto-esque worship of nature spirits, with smaller shrines scattered about). Both of them believe in the Emperor as a semi-holy figure (The former believes that the first Emperor, Richter, formed a blood pact with Naga like the FE4 Crusaders, while the latter think that the Spirit King Rein is a part of him).

Magic uses Tomes and Staves, like FE. But there is a bit more variety. There's your basic Fire-Wind-Thunder-Light-Dark tomes, but mages can also create familiars, elemental animals who aid them in battle and with research, And spells can enchant objects, like Debora's (an already made PC) scrolls.

The reason Randolph is like this is simple case of ambition gone wrong. As of the time of the RP's chronological beginning, he is 26, and he has noticed that the Empire has been... lazying too much, for his taste. The economy and research of the formerly grand empire has been lacking, and so the curfews, strict working hours, and patrolling soldiers are his way of waking the Empire up... so he can expand more by annexing and conquering nearby nations. To this end, he's enlisted three generals to help him: General Diego of the Imperial Royal Army, General Clarrisa of the Imperial Intelligence Division, and General Dreichel of the Imperial R&D Laboratory. 

https://discord.gg/GPN3Be

Important locations:
Granbell: Capital city of the Granbellian Empire. Home of the emperor's castle, Tyrfing Castle, as well as most of the important governmental facilities. Very large.

Woodrow: A very magic-heavy city with various magical research laboratories, both governmental and freelance.

Knightly: A trading city and hub of merchant activity.

Redking: A hub of military activity, with the prestigious Redking Military Academy as the shining jewel.

Republic of Zemur: A small democratic country bordering Granbell, and the only other country on the continent of Zeroki. Is Emperor Randolph's first target in his new expansionist ideals.

Sign-ups (IN DISCORD):

Name
Skills (Can they use magic [Fire, Wind, Thunder, Light, Darkness, Staves]? What kinds of weapons are they good at using? Are they a good artist? Writer? Silver tongue? Stuff like that.)
Backstory
Personality

This is an FE-inspired statless RP that focuses on a rebel group overthrowing a corrupt regime, using guerilla tactics.

Edited by Corrobin

I should mention that the Rebellion isn't formed yet, in-story, and is going to be formed by the PCs in the first few chapters.

Important locations:
Granbell: Capital city of the Granbellian Empire. Home of the emperor's castle, Tyrfing Castle, as well as most of the important governmental facilities. Very large.

Woodrow: A very magic-heavy city with various magical research laboratories, both governmental and freelance.

Knightly: A trading city and hub of merchant activity.

Redking: A hub of military activity, with the prestigious Redking Military Academy as the shining jewel.

Republic of Zemur: A small democratic country bordering Granbell, and the only other country on the continent of Zeroki. Is Emperor Randolph's first target in his new expansionist ideals.

Sign-ups (IN DISCORD):

Name
Skills (Can they use magic [Fire, Wind, Thunder, Light, Darkness, Staves]? What kinds of weapons are they good at using? Are they a good artist? Writer? Silver tongue? Stuff like that.)
Backstory
Personality

Where does my character come from? What is their skillset, where did they learn, how do they come about rebelling?

...isn't that for you to decide?

Edited by Corrobin

And it's up for you to provide the information so I can make that. Are you just expecting people to make up lore along with their signups? It's very irresponsible as a GM and it expects people to write the setting and story for you. You made the same issues with your last attempt to start an RP, and they aren't looking any more fixed. I don't know if you RP on other sites, but here on SF, if you take one second to look into any of the other RP signups (war of men, return of the emblem, super robot wars, angelcynn)

you'll see that yours is incredibly lacking in anything that will draw in potential players. Not to mention how already overstocked the RP section is, people aren't going to put down the effort to make an RP for you if you aren't going to show them it's worth it.

Take my advice, look at other RPs, see what you're missing, then come back.

I am not going to simply abandon this. And, for the record, I do have lore planned, I just don't want to drop 1000 years of history that, in the context of the plot, DOESN'T MATTER.

This RP will feature:

-tactical guerilla action involving studying the work of the Empire to use it against them!

-a dynamic plot that changes based on the choices players make!

-player-driven side plots!

I'd have to agree that the intro post is rather lacking. Nobody expects you to write a trilogy of novels, but a world synopsis and a general summary of recent history would help. For example, why is this Randolph so bad? Is he a baby-eating devil worshipper or does he simply abuse his power? You need to be answering key questions for the player whilst leaving them curious to what could occur. Currently, there's such an absence of information where you could wonder if Woodrow is literally just a city full of nerds.

I'd recommend actually getting details into words before posting a sign up. It may seem like a lot of work, but it's work you'll have to do in the end anyway!

The reason Randolph is like this is simple case of ambition gone wrong. As of the time of the RP's chronological beginning, he is 26, and he has noticed that the Empire has been... lazying too much, for his taste. The economy and research of the formerly grand empire has been lacking, and so the curfews, strict working hours, and patrolling soldiers are his way of waking the Empire up... so he can expand more by annexing and conquering nearby nations. To this end, he's enlisted three generals to help him: General Diego of the Imperial Royal Army, General Clarrisa of the Imperial Intelligence Division, and General Dreichel of the Imperial R&D Laboratory. 

And this is the sort of stuff that should be in the opening post!

It's that simple. Again, you might feel it isn't, and that it isn't going to help, but potential players want to know what the RP is beyond a single paragraph.

Religion in the empire is a relatively tolerant and even split between Dragonism (Your basic FE Naga worshippers with churches, monks, clerics, etc) and Spirituality (A more Shinto-esque worship of nature spirits, with smaller shrines scattered about). Both of them believe in the Emperor as a semi-holy figure (The former believes that the first Emperor, Richter, formed a blood pact with Naga like the FE4 Crusaders, while the latter think that the Spirit King Rein is a part of him).

Magic uses Tomes and Staves, like FE. But there is a bit more variety. There's your basic Fire-Wind-Thunder-Light-Dark tomes, but mages can also create familiars, elemental animals who aid them in battle and with research, And spells can enchant objects, like Debora's (an already made PC) scrolls.

I'm not being "that guy", or that anyone. He's tried this before, it lasted about a week, it died. If he won't listen to critique from successful GMs on SF, he won't get SF RPs. People don't conform to the whims of something new unless it's incredibly interesting. A few paragraphs is not incredibly interesting.

He's taking the right steps by adding lore like above, and should be consolidating them in the opening post (edit button is your friend!)

and once he's done that, he can ask balcerzak to clean up the topic, if it becomes necessary.

tl;dr i know what i'm talking about, otherwise my own RP would have died last year (it's a year and 2 months old now)

17 hours ago, Erren said:

dont be that guy

Mel knows what she's talking about. I have a whole lot of lore backlogged for my RP that's been more or less on life support. However, I'm probably going to revamp a lot of the mechanics and other things just so I don't get trapped into something I regret.

Well, yes, she has a point, but this isn't a SF RP. It's a Discord RP.

Oh, and I did add lore in my third post (the cities and stuff) but apparently that didn't count for some reason?

Edited by Corrobin

I just did. That's not my point: Apparently what I put in the third post isn't lore, but what I put in the fifth (On Randolph's motivations) is? I'm confused.

Ah. I see. Thank you for clarifying.

Also, PRESS THE LINK TO GO TO THE DISCORD WE'RE HAVING A SESSION TONIGHT GO DO IT NOW NOW NOW GO GO GO

• 3 weeks later...