L'Arachel. How do you pronounce that?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the GBA Fire Emblems used a fair number of Norse references. Ereshkigal is Babylonion, though, and the served as the wife of Nergal in the underworld. Fimbulvetr (Fimbul Winter) is the winter preceding Ragnarok (the war which would end the world). Most of the S class FE8 weapons are Norse excepting Latona and Excalibur (I think all the others are...). Sol Katti references the Sun as Mani Katti references the Moon (I don't know what Katti is, though). There's also some Latin as evidenced by Luce (Light) and Res Hasta (King's Spear) and Greek via Elysian Whip, Orion's Bolt, and Delphi Shield.

Back to the original pronunciation of L'Arachel. I never studied French but I know it's a relatively soft language so I always subvocalized the name as La-rah-shel, spending a little more time on the La syllable because it sounded more appealing to me. I would assume it's incorrect as I never bothered to have the pronunciation checked with a speaker of French and Zanryu seems to know French and uses a different pronunciation. One of my friends referred to her as La-ah-ra-chel with the same intonation on the La as I while another referred to her as Luh-Ray-Chel. Neither of them have ever studied French, either.

well 2 years ago there was a wikipedia article with ALL mythology references from the whole FE series, then earlier this yeah I was looking for it and discovered it was gone...seriously, it was cool...also where I found out about Ephraim & Eirika...in some mythology or other, twins who...you know...>_>

but yeah, it wasn't up to wikipedia's qualities of getting rid of useful information

WIKIPEDIA IS NOT A RELIABLE SOURCE YOU CANT USE IT FOR SCHOOL PROJECTS AND THERE IS NO USEFUL INFORMATION ON IT BECAUSE IT SUCKS AND IS ALWAYS WRONG!

*sigh* When are our teachers going to understand that wikipedia is a major source of win in the universe?

why do we keep running off with topics? are we weird for it?

but you forgot that all .com sites also lie to you, you can only trust .edu .gov and .org (when it's not wikipedia)

I'll throw in that it might be ll-ah-ray-chal (ll as in lull)

Well, it looks like FE goes much deeper then we may have expected. You never realize how weird something is till you look it up on the internet. God I love Ephraim's supports with her, so hilarious.

WIKIPEDIA IS NOT A RELIABLE SOURCE YOU CANT USE IT FOR SCHOOL PROJECTS AND THERE IS NO USEFUL INFORMATION ON IT BECAUSE IT SUCKS AND IS ALWAYS WRONG!

*sigh* When are our teachers going to understand that wikipedia is a major source of win in the universe?

Name your next school project, ro study thing, and I'll edit the Wiki article on the topic to say "LOLZORS!"

well we have a friend who did a report on Germany for History...and he didn't proofread the wiki articles he was using...so at one point in his powerpoint presentation, it said "Adolf Poopy Hitler" because he copied it straight from wikipedia into his presentation...we give him a hard time about that...the teacher did too...he was a nice teacher, so it was ok

well we have a friend who did a report on Germany for History...and he didn't proofread the wiki articles he was using...so at one point in his powerpoint presentation, it said "Adolf Poopy Hitler" because he copied it straight from wikipedia into his presentation...we give him a hard time about that...the teacher did too...he was a nice teacher, so it was ok

:lol:

Classic.

Well, I'm sure even some real names have problems with pronounciations. Some pronounciations may even get butchered over time...

I've studied some French, and from my experience I would pronounce it as La-ra-shull. French is a smooth language, so the "L'a" would just be "La". However, I don't think French would really exist in FE anyway... but yeah.

(I studied French after FE8 though so I still pronounce it "La-ra-chull")

Really, with any videogame, there is no official way of pronouncing names unless there is speaking (with voice actors) then you would know...yes with most names it is obvious how you are supposed to say them...but it's not official...like Guy from FE7 could have a real pronunciation of gooey or something...no one would care, but you know official...

the alternative to hard to pronounce names is simply to change it, call her L-chick, that French girl, the troubadour from FE8, simply skip over the name, really...whatever floats your boat really...