Best secondary class for Corrin

MeddlingMage

Hey guys I was wondering, what is the best secondary class for Corrin if married to Keaton?   Corrin's boon/ bane is +Strength/ -Luck.  I thought about going for Oni Savage because I can give Velouria Death Blow from Corrin and I can buy Lancebreaker for Keaton to pass down to Velouria.   Plus it gives me a class, I barely ever used.

If that's the case then by all means go for Oni Savage. Death Blow and Lancebreaker are good for Conquest. If that's the route you're doing anyway. Still good for Revelation too.

Adding to what @Emeraldfox said, Oni Savage is one of the best classes to choose anyway, since Kana can pass it along through A+ and S-supports, too and thus make whomever isn't mothered by Rinkah into a destructive powerhouse with Counter, Lancebreaker and especially Death Blow. Same for Corrin him/herself, minus the A+ supports, obviously.

Additionally, the only way for Corrin to get it is by marrying Rinkah, if male, or by A-supporting Rinkah, if female. 

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Adding to what @Emeraldfox said, Oni Savage is one of the best classes to choose anyway, since Kana can pass it along through A+ and S-supports, too and thus make whomever isn't mothered by Rinkah into a destructive powerhouse with Counter, Lancebreaker and especially Death Blow. Same for Corrin him/herself, minus the A+ supports, obviously.

Additionally, the only way for Corrin to get it is by marrying Rinkah, if male, or by A-supporting Rinkah, if female. 

Frankly, I disagree - on the contrary, I'd have expected Oni Savage to actually have worthwhile skills for how rare it is... which isn't the case, unfortunately.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

First things first, if you intend to buy skills off other people's MyCastles this entire discussion is irrelevant. Just pick any class to like/haven't picked yet and then buy whatever skills you want for Velouria, there's not even anything to discuss.

But if I just misunderstood your intention and you want Keaton to learn LBreaker naturally to pass it down than 1) you'll have to give Keaton at least 4 levels in Blacksmith which is really bad for him because he'll have shitty offense to E rank weapons in the endgame, which is the harder bit of the game 2) he might never even reach lv.15 promoted, only a few characters bar the Avatar do supposing you don't grind 3) Keaton will most likely learn it only in the last few chapters, which means you'll have to delay Velouria's recruitment until the endgame: don't you want to use her for more than 3 chapters?

See, the big problem with Lv.15 skills is that they come into play very late in the game if at all, which means you can't really plan out a child build around it unless it's okay for you to recruit said child around chapter 25 or 26.

About Deathblow, it's much better because it's only a level 5 promoted skill that comes into play in the mid-game, but I never understood why people want so badly to put it on every character in the game: it's fairly good skill but unless you use it in conjunction with other Crit boosting stuff it's nothing to write home about. There is many a good skill which are just better to pass down than a measly and unreliable 20 crit rate like Elbow Room, Str+2, Lunge, Duelist's Blow, Sol, Dragon Fang, Draconic Hex, Shelter, Strong Riposte and quite a few others I won't bother listing.

To be more specific about your Velouria: shapeshifter's big issue is that you don't really want to reclass them, which makes their skill options pretty limited. Supposing you don't reclass neither Velouria nor Keaton I think the best to do would be to capitalize on her massive Strength (since you're +Str), which means passing down either Elbow Room or Strong Riposte since they synergize with her Odd Shaped skill netting her +7/+3 damage on odd/even turns respectfully. Sol could be another neat option and would give her a lot of staying power thanks to her Better Odds skill. Darting Blow from the Peg Knight line would let her double a lot of stuff without the need for a pair up. Notice how you can still pass down any of these skills (bar Darting Blow) by having the avatar use a friendship seal and reach an A support with the appropriate units and still retain Oni Chieftain as your talent. Which is a good talent in this situation. Why? Leaving Velouria aside, your Avatar will get acces to the Fighter class line if you marry Keaton, which synergizes very well with Oni Chieftan IMHO. You can reclass to Oni Chieftain in order to build up your Axe rank and get a bit of bulk in the process (but not much speed I'm afraid), grab Death Blow and then actually put said skill to good use by reclassing to Berserker. Your avatar will become a fast heavy hitter with satisfying bulk and a metric crap ton of Crit (+20 from Death Blow, + 10 from Gamble, + 25 from Killer Axe and +20 from Berserker). 

5 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

First things first, if you intend to buy skills off other people's MyCastles this entire discussion is irrelevant. Just pick any class to like/haven't picked yet and then buy whatever skills you want for Velouria, there's not even anything to discuss.

But if I just misunderstood your intention and you want Keaton to learn LBreaker naturally to pass it down than 1) you'll have to give Keaton at least 4 levels in Blacksmith which is really bad for him because he'll have shitty offense to E rank weapons in the endgame, which is the harder bit of the game 2) he might never even reach lv.15 promoted, only a few characters bar the Avatar do supposing you don't grind 3) Keaton will most likely learn it only in the last few chapters, which means you'll have to delay Velouria's recruitment until the endgame: don't you want to use her for more than 3 chapters?

See, the big problem with Lv.15 skills is that they come into play very late in the game if at all, which means you can't really plan out a child build around it unless it's okay for you to recruit said child around chapter 25 or 26.

About Deathblow, it's much better because it's only a level 5 promoted skill that comes into play in the mid-game, but I never understood why people want so badly to put it on every character in the game: it's fairly good skill but unless you use it in conjunction with other Crit boosting stuff it's nothing to write home about. There is many a good skill which are just better to pass down than a measly and unreliable 20 crit rate like Elbow Room, Str+2, Lunge, Duelist's Blow, Sol, Dragon Fang, Draconic Hex, Shelter, Strong Riposte and quite a few others I won't bother listing.

To be more specific about your Velouria: shapeshifter's big issue is that you don't really want to reclass them, which makes their skill options pretty limited. Supposing you don't reclass neither Velouria nor Keaton I think the best to do would be to capitalize on her massive Strength (since you're +Str), which means passing down either Elbow Room or Strong Riposte since they synergize with her Odd Shaped skill netting her +7/+3 damage on odd/even turns respectfully. Sol could be another neat option and would give her a lot of staying power thanks to her Better Odds skill. Darting Blow from the Peg Knight line would let her double a lot of stuff without the need for a pair up. Notice how you can still pass down any of these skills (bar Darting Blow) by having the avatar use a friendship seal and reach an A support with the appropriate units and still retain Oni Chieftain as your talent. Which is a good talent in this situation. Why? Leaving Velouria aside, your Avatar will get acces to the Fighter class line if you marry Keaton, which synergizes very well with Oni Chieftan IMHO. You can reclass to Oni Chieftain in order to build up your Axe rank and get a bit of bulk in the process (but not much speed I'm afraid), grab Death Blow and then actually put said skill to good use by reclassing to Berserker. Your avatar will become a fast heavy hitter with satisfying bulk and a metric crap ton of Crit (+20 from Death Blow, + 10 from Gamble, + 25 from Killer Axe and +20 from Berserker). 

I usually only buy skills for Xander, Benny, Niles, Keaton, Laslow, Jakob, and Selena (when she is married to Laslow) when playing on Conquest since they have the same starting class as their kids (Siegbert, Ignatius, Nina, Velouria, Dwyer (when I actually get him), and Soliel), so I don't have to pass on a skill they can learn themselves.  I figured buying Lancebreaker would be the safest bet for Keaton to pass down to Velouria especially when playing on Conquest.

I usually never ever take Keaton, Velouria, Kaden, and Selkie out of their regular class.  I have thought about taking Kana to Wolfssegner though, so Kana can learn those skills. What I could do is go to Hero until Corrin gets Sol either from A ranking with Selena or marriage with Keaton.   Then I could pass on Sol and Lancebreaker to Velouria.   Then if I used the Friendship Seal, I can always use the Partner Seal after that and turn Corrin into a Berserker.   That's one of the main reasons why I went Oni Savage is because it works great with the Berserker.   I will only go Blacksmith on Corrin if I decide I wanted to get Salvage Blow and Lancebreaker on Corrin.

Edited by MeddlingMage

11 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

Agreed - it's why I'm only willing to entertain the subject of level 15 skill pass downs with Felicia and Jakob.

I don't see why you mentioned Sol - it's pretty underwhelming IMO, falling victim to It Only Works Once.

I dunno about that - using a Berserker, like I said, is practically akin to using High Jump Kick in Pokemon, except with more risk.

6 hours ago, MeddlingMage said:

I usually only buy skills for Xander, Benny, Niles, Keaton, Laslow, Jakob, and Selena (when she is married to Laslow) when playing on Conquest since they have the same starting class as their kids (Siegbert, Ignatius, Nina, Velouria, Dwyer (when I actually get him), and Soliel), so I don't have to pass on a skill they can learn themselves.  I figured buying Lancebreaker would be the safest bet for Keaton to pass down to Velouria especially when playing on Conquest.

I usually never ever take Keaton, Velouria, Kaden, and Selkie out of their regular class.  I have thought about taking Kana to Wolfssegner though, so Kana can learn those skills. What I could do is go to Hero until Corrin gets Sol either from A ranking with Selena or marriage with Keaton.   Then I could pass on Sol and Lancebreaker to Velouria.   Then if I used the Friendship Seal, I can always use the Partner Seal after that and turn Corrin into a Berserker.   That's one of the main reasons why I went Oni Savage is because it works great with the Berserker.   I will only go Blacksmith on Corrin if I decide I wanted to get Salvage Blow and Lancebreaker on Corrin.

See the second part of the above for my thoughts on Sol.

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Agreed - it's why I'm only willing to entertain the subject of level 15 skill pass downs with Felicia and Jakob.

I don't see why you mentioned Sol - it's pretty underwhelming IMO, falling victim to It Only Works Once.

I dunno about that - using a Berserker, like I said, is practically akin to using High Jump Kick in Pokemon, except with more risk.

Come on Levant, I read so many of your debates with other users about Sol and Berserkers that sometimes I forget whether or not I have myself debated with you or not :P Even though that comparison with HJK is pretty interesting: it's been a while since I lurked in the competitive environment but wasn't HJK a staple of Mega Lopunny and other mons' moveset? I also suggest that you try to use Percy in one of your playthrough: I know your issues with Berserkers and he might just be the Zerker for you seeing how he always has at the very least a 60% lck growth and always starts out with capped luck, I don't think anything bar killer weapon lets enemies have an actual crit rate against him and he even increases the crit dodge of nearby allies. I seriously think he would fit your playstyle a lot :)

3 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

Come on Levant, I read so many of your debates with other users about Sol and Berserkers that sometimes I forget whether or not I have myself debated with you or not :P Even though that comparison with HJK is pretty interesting: it's been a while since I lurked in the competitive environment but wasn't HJK a staple of Mega Lopunny and other mons' moveset? I also suggest that you try to use Percy in one of your playthrough: I know your issues with Berserkers and he might just be the Zerker for you seeing how he always has at the very least a 60% lck growth and always starts out with capped luck, I don't think anything bar killer weapon lets enemies have an actual crit rate against him and he even increases the crit dodge of nearby allies. I seriously think he would fit your playstyle a lot :)

I suppose it is, though I find it too risky, since it loses to Protect, as well as (in the case of mons without Scrappy) Ghost switch-ins. Anyway, I have one word for your suggestion: Pass. There's nothing I get out of gimping Percy by putting him into a lame class, and worse, an infantry axe class that's pretty much always been awful. And let's not forget that no thanks to his dad, he's doomed to have a negative luck modifier, meaning as a Berserker, he's liable to face crit chances anyway. Whoopedy-freaking-do.

Percy is pretty darn good.  Especially when his mom is Effie.  Granted he is not my favorite kid.  But he still puts in work when you want to use him.  Arthur is good if use him.  I never take Arthur to Beserker anyway.  He always goes to Hero for me.   The only Berserkers I use are Beruka, Charlotte, and Corrin.

UPDATE:  Corrin (aka Casandra in this run) is currently at Level 1 Oni Chieftain with 26 Strength, 20 Speed, 12 Magic, 10 Luck, 17 Skill, 22 Defense, and 12 Resistance.  She has a C-Rank in Axes and an E-Rank in tomes.   Her main weapon is a Devil's Axe (Steel Axe +1), but she also has a Beruka's Axe, Hand Axe, and a Disrobing Gale.   This is as of getting ready to start Chapter 16.

Edited by MeddlingMage