Topaz Light

So, I opened up the Nightmare modules for FE11 and poked around in them again, and was swiftly reminded of why I stopped to begin with.

The stat values given in the editor don't make any sense and don't seem to correlate with the values listed online in any meaningful way.

I was wondering if anybody here had the "key" to converting stat and growth values between regular, comprehensible numbers and whatever bizarre cipher the numbers are hidden behind in the editor.

Thanks so much for your time!

Edited by Topaz Light

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 5:13 AM, Purple Mage said:

Did you decompile your rom and decompress the database? There should be some instructions prepacked with the modules.

On 8/30/2017 at 9:14 AM, VincentASM said:

The growths are encrypted by the game itself.

I am away from my PC, so I can only suggest Googling Shadow Dragon growths and my username.

WHEW OKAY, so, I actually had not done that because I'm a fool and I didn't read any of the Readmes, but, thanks to you tipping me off about the need to decompile the ROM and decompress the database, I was able to get the Nightmare modules working and make some progress!

And, I've actually made a few discoveries! I don't know if they're new, but…

• It's super easy to create new Reclass sets. I set Thief, Ballistician, and Soldier to Reclass Set 0x07 and it works perfectly fine.
  • The two-digit value labeled "Unknown" in the Character Editor Module that ranges from 00 to 0A is hair color! The hair colors each value corresponds to are as follows:
    • 00 - Blue
    • 01 - Green
    • 02 - Pink (Blue on male units)
    • 03 - Gray (Blue on female units)
    • 04 - Red
    • 05 - Purple
    • 06 - Brown
    • 07 - Blonde
    • 08 - unknown
    • 09 - unknown; seems to be used by all bosses
    • 0A - Bald (Blue hair on female units)
  • Marth, Julian, Rickard, Bantu, Jake, Beck, Xane, Tiki, and Nagi are all assigned hair color values matching their appearances, despite that that can never be seen because none of their classes have variable hair color implemented.
    …Actually, Freelancer/Chameleon and female Manakete might; I actually didn't test that, but none of the other classes have the character's hair visible at all in their battle sprite aside from Lord, which I know for a fact does not support changing hair colors (unless somebody would like to prove me wrong on that).

Curiously, Purple and Blonde hair for female characters seem to be fully-implemented and working just fine in Shadow Dragon, despite that neither hair color is ever actually used by a female character in that game. Now that I think about it, it's probably a relic of Avatar creation having originally been planned to debut in Shadow Dragon… or perhaps they had planned at one point to make a Mystery of the Emblem remake that contained all the content on that game's original SNES cartridge? I'm not really sure, but I'd wager it's probably the former.

Edited by Topaz Light

On ‎16‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 2:28 PM, Topaz Light said:

• It's super easy to create new Reclass sets. I set Thief, Ballistician, and Soldier to Reclass Set 0x07 and it works perfectly fine

It is kind of new since it was never really documented, but someone who's familiar with hacking will probably know of it. Also, if it's just a byte that determines somethig you can usualy modfiy it by adding already discovered bytes together ot expanding the list, as you did with the reclass sets, which only goes up to 0x06 IIRC. Still, this should be included in the editor. Thanks for discovering it.

On ‎16‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 2:28 PM, Topaz Light said:

• The two-digit value labeled "Unknown" in the Character Editor Module that ranges from 00 to 0A is hair color! The hair colors each value corresponds to are as follows:
    • 00 - Blue
    • 01 - Green
    • 02 - Pink (Blue on male units)
    • 03 - Gray (Blue on female units)
    • 04 - Red
    • 05 - Purple
    • 06 - Brown
    • 07 - Blonde
    • 08 - unknown
    • 09 - unknown; seems to be used by all bosses
    • 0A - Bald (Blue hair on female units)
  • Marth, Julian, Rickard, Bantu, Jake, Beck, Xane, Tiki, and Nagi are all assigned hair color values matching their appearances, despite that that can never be seen because none of their classes have variable hair color implemented.
    …Actually, Freelancer/Chameleon and female Manakete might; I actually didn't test that, but none of the other classes have the character's hair visible at all in their battle sprite aside from Lord, which I know for a fact does not support changing hair colors (unless somebody would like to prove me wrong on that).

Curiously, Purple and Blonde hair for female characters seem to be fully-implemented and working just fine in Shadow Dragon, despite that neither hair color is ever actually used by a female character in that game. Now that I think about it, it's probably a relic of Avatar creation having originally been planned to debut in Shadow Dragon… or perhaps they had planned at one point to make a Mystery of the Emblem remake that contained all the content on that game's original SNES cartridge? I'm not really sure, but I'd wager it's probably the former.

Now that is interesting. Always wondered how that was determined, but I never saw this documented anywhere. I wonder what else there is in the character editor that we don't know...

Edited by Mariode