Conquest Odin -- Heart Seal Viability

Mandokarla

33 minutes ago, joshcja said:

Support from treehouse was not removed. Just the minigame.

In casual play there's no rng here, invasion one gaurentees porkilation.

True enough.

I still think this is BS, plain and simple - I'm not seeing how you're getting to S before chapter 9 without help from resources I can't rely on (those being the Private Quearters and Seeds of Trust)..

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ch7 C> Ch8>B Mozu+treehouse>A Invasion 1+tree+seed = S.

You get a free seed from like 5(?) visits.

It takes very little effort to max non-Azura support for a map and it can be maxed in as little as one turn.

CQ is very busted.

-----------------------------

On Topic: If Jakob takes paladin off Silias and marrige off Corrin early, you have 5 heart seals open at second shop (Butler is stronger in Ch8 anyways). Corrin has dibs on one so...

Odin wants 2 though he can sub a waifu/bro seal and take the ch16 heart if needed. Mozu wants 1 if you go early archer over BK/Cav. Elise wants one on join (yes, wyvern!elise, she's very busted) or 2 arms scrolls and a sis seal on ch14. Dwyer wants one for obvious reasons. Laslow wants one immediately to become the much more viable Lafast.

End of list. All other strong reclass abuse comes later or uses not-heart-seals (Camilia wants savage blow and can take Be off beruka/ch16 seal if she's needed in ch19.)

Only 4 of these hard require heart seal (3if we count DF Lafast).

There are very few runs that are limited by early seals in CQ

Edited by joshcja

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

True, but it would've made the whole thing even more screw-y. I can imagine some horrid scenario where a Spear Master seals you, then a Sniper comes in and one-shots you, because your Defence is too low.
The solution seems to be to either kill them all in one turn (how, though?) or take them down one by one by going up and down the stairway. Thanks for answering my questions, Levant!

The latter approach looks to me like it's the only way to not get screwed (as Oboro's squad resets if there's no one to attack)... Except it's worth noting two of the Snipers have Amaterasu, and all of the Snipers are arranged in an upside down T formation. 

On 4/9/2017 at 4:06 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

True enough, except without Siegfried, he can't counter the Tomahawks (or has to use a weak weapon to do so).

I meant the wall part where Oboro is - that part always stymies me because I can't stay up there too long (as in more than one turn), else the Lunge Spearmasters screw me over.

More consistent hit against. . . what exactly?

Are you the one who complain about conquest hit chance?

On 3/9/2017 at 3:07 PM, Koumal8 said:

Though I must say I'm tempted to try your strat for Odin's join level, it doesn't take much to reach chapter 8 after all, and even tough going in the middle of the map seems tantamount to suicide, you're saying it works, so... yeah. On what difficulty does it work in your experience?

I restarted my campaign (Conquest Hard Classic.) This time letting Elise and Azura level-up normally, and they are at level 8 and 4, respectively, after Chapter 9.

I just wanted to let you know that I repeated my strategy for Chapter 8, and I secured the three southern houses by turn 5 and Odin gained three levels by the end of the chapter. He could probably have gained another one, but I let Niles gain one level by taking care of a couple of enemies and Flora. I did not grind against Kilma, but did let Felicia attack him a couple of times, though, for she needed about 30 Exp points to level-up and had barely participated in this chapter.

Once again, Mozu gained almost eight levels in her recruitment chapter.
https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/73045-mozu-conquest-lunatic/#comment-4917042

Edited by starburst

On 9/5/2017 at 1:48 PM, SpearOfLies said:

Are you the one who complain about conquest hit chance?

Yes, but it's totally founded. It's almost as XCOM as Thracia, and the wierd RNG of Fates in general doesn't help. He's also not well liked because he doesn't extoll the virtues of Arthur (and he shouldn't have to.)

1 hour ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Yes, but it's totally founded. It's almost as XCOM as Thracia, and the wierd RNG of Fates in general doesn't help. He's also not well liked because he doesn't extoll the virtues of Arthur (and he shouldn't have to.)

Virtues? What virtues? I'm fine with him as a character, but as a unit... Bleck. Also, I'm not seeing why disliking Arthur as a unit would result in me not being well liked...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

50 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Virtues? What virtues? I'm fine with him as a character, but as a unit... Bleck. 

He's a decent enough pair up bot for Niles, who needs the Strength if he wants to kill stuff and... yeah, that's pretty much it.
Without DLC, grinding or Skill buying, Arthur sucks balls. Then again, so does Charlotte. A low Skill stat is usually an immediate 'Nope' from me when it comes to unit viability and I'm not that big on Fighters in the first place. Wyvern Riders do the axe user job multitudes better since they have higher Skill (usually at least) and Heroes, Great Knights and Generals gain axes upon promotion, though they're stuck in E-rank hell for a decent amount of time. Luckily, you have the +10 Crit Avoid bonus from Bronze weapons in Fates, so it's not all bad, the Raider weapons increase your effective Speed by three, making them very viable in my opinion and killing things with a freaking frying pan of all things is just plain hilarious.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

He's a decent enough pair up bot for Niles, who needs the Strength if he wants to kill stuff and... yeah, that's pretty much it.
Without DLC, grinding or Skill buying, Arthur sucks balls. Then again, so does Charlotte. A low Skill stat is usually an immediate 'Nope' from me when it comes to unit viability and I'm not that big on Fighters in the first place. Wyvern Riders do the axe user job multitudes better since they have higher Skill (usually at least) and Heroes, Great Knights and Generals gain axes upon promotion, though they're stuck in E-rank hell for a decent amount of time. Luckily, you have the +10 Crit Avoid bonus from Bronze weapons in Fates, so it's not all bad, the Raider weapons increase your effective Speed by three, making them very viable in my opinion and killing things with a freaking frying pan of all things is just plain hilarious.

I never was big on Fighters - there's just too many bad ones for me to like the class, and Arthur and Charlotte are just the latest in terms of bad Fighters. Anyways, his shit tier personal and his virtually nonexistent luck stat both add up to an immediate "Nope" in terms of unit viability.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

6 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I never was big on Fighters - there's just too many bad ones for me to like the class, and Arthur and Charlotte are just the latest in terms of bad Fighters. Anyways, his shit tier personal and his virtually nonexistent luck stat both add up to an immediate "Nope" in terms of unit viability.

Agreed. I can't count the numerous times I had to restart my Conquest runs because Arthur either A) missed or B) got crit or C) did both.
Him having one of the most annoying kids in Fates doesn't help his case, either.

On 8/9/2017 at 8:57 PM, Hylian Air Force said:

I know.

On 9/9/2017 at 9:24 AM, DragonFlames said:

Agreed. I can't count the numerous times I had to restart my Conquest runs because Arthur either A) missed or B) got crit or C) did both.
Him having one of the most annoying kids in Fates doesn't help his case, either.

On my current lunatic conquest run I restart 1% because of crit and 5% because of miss and 94% because enemies overwhelm me.

9 hours ago, SpearOfLies said:

On my current lunatic conquest run I restart 1% because of crit and 5% because of miss and 94% because enemies overwhelm me.

This was me on Conquest Hard Mode until I found my 'groove' so to speak.

I'm already scared shitless by the mere thought of having to tackle the 'Prologue' (everything prior to Chapter 6) on Lunatic. I don't think I have the guts to go Lunatic Conquest...

Edited by DragonFlames

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

This was me on Conquest Hard Mode until I found my 'groove' so to speak.

I'm already scared shitless by the mere thought of having to tackle the 'Prologue' (everything prior to Chapter 6) on Lunatic. I don't think I have the guts to go Lunatic Conquest...

There is only two actually hard chapters on Prologue: The snow one and the dragon one.

The snow you just need to go to the north parth. Try to go through the shortpath take longer because the boss limit your moviment. Take advantage of ninja moviment bonus and pair up and unpair to move as much you can out of fight. You can resclue hinoka and sakura without so much difficulty.

The dragon one is the very hard. The bottom part is harsh to go through. You can only take the west path.

The hard part is kill the pair up mercenary before they attack and survive against the two dark mage.

Ps Believe or not, I always manage to kill ryouma on chapter 6. I never hurt Sakuya on this chapter, I'm a good guy!(still kill her the next one she appear)

Conquest lunatic is not so hard. The only chapter that nearly make me ragequit is wind tribe one. So annoying.

22 hours ago, SpearOfLies said:

There is only two actually hard chapters on Prologue: The snow one and the dragon one.

The snow you just need to go to the north parth. Try to go through the shortpath take longer because the boss limit your moviment. Take advantage of ninja moviment bonus and pair up and unpair to move as much you can out of fight. You can resclue hinoka and sakura without so much difficulty.

The dragon one is the very hard. The bottom part is harsh to go through. You can only take the west path.

The hard part is kill the pair up mercenary before they attack and survive against the two dark mage.

Ps Believe or not, I always manage to kill ryouma on chapter 6. I never hurt Sakuya on this chapter, I'm a good guy!(still kill her the next one she appear)

Conquest lunatic is not so hard. The only chapter that nearly make me ragequit is wind tribe one. So annoying.

Thank you for the useful hints! :^_^:
I still dread getting a stat-screwed Corrin, though.
Not getting enough Speed and/or Defence is enough to get you busted, even on Hard Mode, especially in the snow map, I found. Low Defence means the Faceless will kill you in three hits even when paired up - additionally, you NEED the extra movement from Kaze to make it to the Hoshidan Sisters before the Faceless disembowel them, so you can't really pair up with Rinkah to get more Defence, either. And you'll want to be paired up all the time, lest the Faceless team up and dual strike you to death - and there's only one Vulnerary on Hard Mode. If you have low Speed on top of that, you can basically just start over from the very beginning. Neither Kaze nor Rinkah are strong enough to one round any of the Faceless on the map and Corrin will always be in range once you activate the Dragon Veins, which you need to do since once a Faceless with Seal Defence reaches Hinoka, she's dead meat, no questions asked if Corrin and team aren't there to distract the other Faceless that gun for them. And if Hinoka dies, you don't get the Concoction, which you might need to kill the boss if you expend your single Vulnerary on the way and worse, Sakura dies, too, so you can't get yourself healed in-between tries to take on the boss and his crew on the mountain in the middle.

I once had a Corrin with only 8 Speed and 7 Defence in Chapter 4. On Hard Mode, you need at least 10 Speed and a Kaze pair-up to double and one round most of the Faceless and at least 9 Defence to reliably survive their attacks without having to use a Vulnerary every other fight. If you don't have one of those two your only option is to pray to the RNG gods, though I found low Speed to be worse than low Defence, because with high Speed, you run a lower risk of being Defence Sealed to your inevitable doom (am I the only one who thinks pulling out Seal skills, especially Seal Defence, this early in the game is utter bullcrap?).
Needless to say, I didn't even make it to Chapter 6 or beyond in that run. I had to restart from the very beginning and hope that this time, Corrin wouldn't get screwed by the RNG, which sadly happens more often than you might think.

There is no reason to save sakura and hinoka in that map.

Fighting the boss group on their mountain is super safe. Vulnary is all the healing you need. Hold hot oni and let ninja dual strike off corin if you get less than perfect speed rolls. Actually do this anyways to make ch5 even easier.

Past that mother is a free win, ch6 is free exp, and you get tonics in ch7. If Corrin turns out badly just marry MN!Silias and ride his D to victory.

Corrins stats don't matter at all past ch2.

Level ups are fixed on lunatic.

Edited by joshcja

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Thank you for the useful hints! :^_^:
I still dread getting a stat-screwed Corrin, though.
Not getting enough Speed and/or Defence is enough to get you busted, even on Hard Mode, especially in the snow map, I found. Low Defence means the Faceless will kill you in three hits even when paired up - additionally, you NEED the extra movement from Kaze to make it to the Hoshidan Sisters before the Faceless disembowel them, so you can't really pair up with Rinkah to get more Defence, either. And you'll want to be paired up all the time, lest the Faceless team up and dual strike you to death - and there's only one Vulnerary on Hard Mode. If you have low Speed on top of that, you can basically just start over from the very beginning. Neither Kaze nor Rinkah are strong enough to one round any of the Faceless on the map and Corrin will always be in range once you activate the Dragon Veins, which you need to do since once a Faceless with Seal Defence reaches Hinoka, she's dead meat, no questions asked if Corrin and team aren't there to distract the other Faceless that gun for them. And if Hinoka dies, you don't get the Concoction, which you might need to kill the boss if you expend your single Vulnerary on the way and worse, Sakura dies, too, so you can't get yourself healed in-between tries to take on the boss and his crew on the mountain in the middle.

I once had a Corrin with only 8 Speed and 7 Defence in Chapter 4. On Hard Mode, you need at least 10 Speed and a Kaze pair-up to double and one round most of the Faceless and at least 9 Defence to reliably survive their attacks without having to use a Vulnerary every other fight. If you don't have one of those two your only option is to pray to the RNG gods, though I found low Speed to be worse than low Defence, because with high Speed, you run a lower risk of being Defence Sealed to your inevitable doom (am I the only one who thinks pulling out Seal skills, especially Seal Defence, this early in the game is utter bullcrap?).
Needless to say, I didn't even make it to Chapter 6 or beyond in that run. I had to restart from the very beginning and hope that this time, Corrin wouldn't get screwed by the RNG, which sadly happens more often than you might think.

You don't need to orko them and you don't need corrin to get too many kills. I don't remember which between Kaze and rinka tank the first two faceless but I remember I didn't attack them(or maybe I did) but just put my pair up unit between them and then the next turn manage to kill both of them. You don't wanna never attack an seal def unit and you don't want never to get attack by two enemies after you get sealed def.

Also you want fight the boss on the mountain so you can easily weak him with kaze.

Edited by SpearOfLies

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Not getting enough Speed and/or Defence is enough to get you busted, even on Hard Mode, especially in the snow map, I found. Low Defence means the Faceless will kill you in three hits even when paired up - additionally, you NEED the extra movement from Kaze to make it to the Hoshidan Sisters before the Faceless disembowel them, so you can't really pair up with Rinkah to get more Defence, either. [...]

I once had a Corrin with only 8 Speed and 7 Defence in Chapter 4. On Hard Mode, you need at least 10 Speed and a Kaze pair-up to double and one round most of the Faceless and at least 9 Defence to reliably survive their attacks without having to use a Vulnerary every other fight. [...]

Are we talking about Hard Mode? If this is the case, I just played this chapter twice last weekend, one with +Speed -Luck; the other, +Speed -Mag.
In my case, Corrin could double the Faceless without Kaze's pair-up bonuses, but the important one was Mov +1. If I remember correctly, Corrin had also 7 Defence in one of the campaigns, but even then he would kill all Faceless bar the boss in one phase (two hits) and did not need to heal more than once on his way to the sisters (I face the boss after talking to them.)

What level is Corrin when Chapter 4 starts, 7-8? My Corrin always starts Chapter 6 at an advanced level 9, and he gains no levels in Chapter 5 (where most of the experience points go to Kaze), thus Corrin must be at level 7-8 by Chapter 4.

Perhaps I have been playing +Speed since like forever (even with -Def), but Corrin always dodges a couple of attacks in that chapter, even more when paired-up with Kaze. I am not saying that one should rely on dodging as a strategy, but I thought that it was 'normal', that the Faceless were innately inaccurate, so that new users could complete the map without much trouble.

Actually, my main issue in that chapter is that precisely because Corrin always kills normal Faceless in one phase (two hits), the boss fight is really tricky: Corrin must sustain four consecutive attacks after activating the Dragon Vein (the boss and three consecutive Faceless.) On the other hand, if Corrin misses one hit and does not kill one normal Faceless in that phase, then the others do not approach and Corrin has time to heal in-between.

And I think that your Hinoka is more screwed than your Corrin, for I had never seen her being defeated, no matter what. I had always thought that, like the annoying experience-thief Ryoma, Hinoka was there just to help new users. Hell, I have seen her attack with critical hits!

Edited by starburst

15 hours ago, SpearOfLies said:

You don't need to orko them and you don't need corrin to get too many kills. I don't remember which between Kaze and rinka tank the first two faceless but I remember I didn't attack them(or maybe I did) but just put my pair up unit between them and then the next turn manage to kill both of them. You don't wanna never attack an seal def unit and you don't want never to get attack by two enemies after you get sealed def.

Also you want fight the boss on the mountain so you can easily weak him with kaze.

See, this is one of my big mistakes. Once I have found a strategy that kind of works, I always use it, damn the consequences... I really should look left or right, even if I have played that Chapter more times than I can remember. Thanks for the new perspective!

11 hours ago, starburst said:

Are we talking about Hard Mode? If this is the case, I just played this chapter twice last weekend, one with +Speed -Luck; the other, +Speed -Mag.
In my case, Corrin could double the Faceless without Kaze's pair-up bonuses, but the important one was Mov +1. If I remember correctly, Corrin had also 7 Defence in one of the campaigns, but even then he would kill all Faceless bar the boss in one phase (two hits) and did not need to heal more than once on his way to the sisters (I face the boss after talking to them.)

What level is Corrin when Chapter 4 starts, 7-8? My Corrin always starts Chapter 6 at an advanced level 9, and he gains no levels in Chapter 5 (where most of the experience points go to Kaze), thus Corrin must be at level 7-8 by Chapter 4.

Perhaps I have been playing +Speed since like forever (even with -Def), but Corrin always dodges a couple of attacks in that chapter, even more when paired-up with Kaze. I am not saying that one should rely on dodging as a strategy, but I thought that it was 'normal', that the Faceless were innately inaccurate, so that new users could complete the map without much trouble.

Actually, my main issue in that chapter is that precisely because Corrin always kills normal Faceless in one phase (two hits), the boss fight is really tricky: Corrin must sustain four consecutive attacks after activating the Dragon Vein (the boss and three consecutive Faceless.) On the other hand, if Corrin misses one hit and does not kill one normal Faceless in that phase, then the others do not approach and Corrin has time to heal in-between.

And I think that your Hinoka is more screwed than your Corrin, for I had never seen her being defeated, no matter what. I had always thought that, like the annoying experience-thief Ryoma, Hinoka was there just to help new users. Hell, I have seen her attack with critical hits!

Yup, it's Hard Mode. On Normal, the Faceless' don't even have skills as far as I remember.
I never activate the Dragon Vein on the mountain where the boss is. Instead, I always work my way around it and then bait out the Faceless on the mountain with a paired up unit one by one until only the boss is left.
As for Hinoka: Once Seal Defence hits her, it's GG. If too many Faceless gang up on her, she will die. At least in my experience.

@joshcja Oh yeah, I remember hearing about fixed level ups on Lunatic. When do the level ups get 'fixed'? When you recruit the unit or once for every chapter?
A little, maybe dumb, question, though: What does MN! stand for?

Edited by DragonFlames

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Yup, it's Hard Mode. On Normal, the Faceless' don't even have skills as far as I remember.
I never activate the Dragon Vein on the mountain where the boss is. Instead, I always work my way around it and then bait out the Faceless on the mountain with a paired up unit one by one until only the boss is left.

Hmm?... What is your approach?
· Pair-up with Kaze, grab his healing item and visit the village;
· activate the DV next to the village and kill one Faceless on Enemy Phase (Exp-thief Ryoma will kill the other one);
· go as north as possible, activate the DV and kill both Faceless in range on EP;
· head west and heal;
· head west again (to the DV) and Ryoma will steal one kill, you kill the other one;
· activate the DV close to the sisters, the sole remaining Faceless will attack Sakura and the other siblings will kill it.
· Lastly, talk to the sisters, let Sakura heal you, grab the healing item from Hinoka and head to the boss.
Note that I activate the mountain DV and fight the three Faceless and the boss at once (only two units per turn can attack you, anyway.)

It is fairly straight. Again, I am talking about Hard Mode. But it is mechanic; I get the same outcome on every run (I have been replaying the early chapters various times lately.) I even let Kaze kill the boss if Corrin only gets a couple of Exp points per kill.

Edited by starburst

19 hours ago, starburst said:

Hmm?... What is your approach?
· Pair-up with Kaze, grab his healing item and visit the village;
· activate the DV next to the village and kill one Faceless on Enemy Phase (Exp-thief Ryoma will kill the other one);
· go as north as possible, activate the DV and kill both Faceless in range on EP;
· head west and heal;
· head west again (to the DV) and Ryoma will steal one kill, you kill the other one;
· activate the DV close to the sisters, the sole remaining Faceless will attack Sakura and the other siblings will kill it.
· Lastly, talk to the sisters, let Sakura heal you, grab the healing item from Hinoka and head to the boss.
Note that I activate the mountain DV and fight the three Faceless and the boss at once (only two units per turn can attack you, anyway.)

It is fairly straight. Again, I am talking about Hard Mode. But it is mechanic; I get the same outcome on every run (I have been replaying the early chapters various times lately.) I even let Kaze kill the boss if Corrin only gets a couple of Exp points per kill.

Interestingly enough, I go about it in probably the same way.
1) Pair up with Kaze, grab Vulnerary, visit village
2) Activate Dragon Vein, kill the first Faceless on Enemy Phase
3) Head north, heal if necessary, kill the other two Faceless on Enemy Phase (provided Corrin's stats are good enough
4) Head north again, activate the Dragon Vein, kill Faceless on EP
5) Head as far west as possible to distract / kill the Faceless approaching Hinoka, maybe use Goddess Icon when there is time to do so (depends on Corrin's Luck stat and if I decide to keep the GI or not) or heal
6) Activate the Dragon Vein to melt the mountain that blocks the path to Hinoka and Sakura, Ryoma kills the Faceless attacking Sakura on his turn
7) Talk to the sisters, get healed by Sakura, approach the boss without activating the Dragon Vein for useful Mountain Terrain Bonuses
8) Lure and kill the Facless on the mountain one by one until only the boss is left
9) Trade blows with the boss until he dies, use Vulnerary, Concoction, healing from Sakura if necessary. Dual strike / attack with Kaze to debuff him

Strangely, this approach only works if Corrin reaches certain stat thresholds. Maybe I'm just too careful / unlucky? IDK

@joshcja Got it, thank you!

Edited by DragonFlames

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of unrelated, but I just had a Sorcerer Odin who maxed his magic at level 20/13 (his other stats were not too shabby either).

He made Nosfera-tanking an actual reliable strategy in Conquest Hard.

My MVP for that playthrough.

2 hours ago, Heptade said:

Sort of unrelated, but I just had a Sorcerer Odin who maxed his magic at level 20/13 (his other stats were not too shabby either).

He made Nosfera-tanking an actual reliable strategy in Conquest Hard.

My MVP for that playthrough.

I just played Chapters 22-24 of Conquest Hard Classic during the weekend, and Sorcerer Odin already capped Skill and Luck at level 20/15 (right at the end of Chapter 24.) Sorcerer Ophelia (Felicia's daughter) may make critical hits slightly more often, but she sporadically misses attacks and cannot sustain an enemy phase. Odin, on the hand, never misses an attack, makes critical hits about once every three hits and, more importantly, survives an enemy phase against one or two heavy hitters (his defence is equal or higher than those of Vanguard Corrirn, Malig Knight Camilla, Great Knight Silas and GK Sophie [granted, all at level 12.])

I am still developing a strategy to deal with Chapter 25, but, thus far, a Great Knight or General plus Odin with Calamity Gate is the de facto bait for those annoying Master Ninjas.