Jump to content
Harvey

Did the pirate rom actually affected the sales of echoes?

Recommended Posts

So after all this time, besides Famitsu showing early sales, we still have no idea how much this game sold in the long run.

What I do want to ask is if the pirated rom that people claim that affected the sales...do you think it affected the actual sales of the game?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlikely. Pirating doesn't hurt sales enought to make companies lose profit, and considering how troublesome is to make a 3DS to run roms AND the emulator being very early in development and barely running some games, I doubt they didn't sold enough. They have a big enough following to announce the FE for Switch worldwide with the same release date as well.

 

Before people start shitting on me I do not encourage piracy, nor do I condone it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally know how difficult it is to hack a 3DS to run homebrew/jailbreak apps, which I imagine are what you'd need to play the pirated game.  And even if you wanted to play it on an emulator, you still need the 3DS BIOS, which again requires hacking a 3DS, not to mention it almost certainly wouldn't be able to run a game that isn't even officially out yet, nor would the emulator devs work to make a pirated copy of a game work due to their already significant fear of getting into legal trouble with Nintendo.  If you have the most recent firmware for an old 3DS, it's basically impossible to hack unless you yourself can hack it.

Rest assured, I highly doubt piracy really affected projected sales, and anyone saying otherwise is really reaching for a scapegoat to blame potentially low sales on.  If there's anything we should blame for low sales (though we don't know its sales numbers as of today), its the marketing in combination with Gaiden just naturally being an odd game for most people to play and Echoes not really doing much to improve some of its rougher spots.

I'm personally just gonna assume it sold well enough.  The fact that IS feels comfortable marketing its characters in FE Heroes and Cipher at least means they aren't openly ashamed of it, so it at least probably wasn't a failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it did, it was probably a fraction of a percent.  Unlike earlier systems, pirating 3DS ROMs requires a lot of effort, and Echoes isn't exactly a game that appeals to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's just me, but piracy seems to be a thing for a younger audience. I used to play only ROMs when I was young. I had little to no money, but I did want to play all those GBC/GBA games. Also some weren't available for my region(EU). A problem I still have.

But now that I actually earn enough and have a family, I prefer the "real" thing. Also playing wherever you want, rather than on a laptop/computer is also a big plus to me.

I do like Citra for recording videos, but that's it. Its still too slow for my liking, and again, needed to sit behind a pc is a big no to me.

I am pretty sure more people feel like this. ROMs also have been a good "demo" to me, to find out if I liked a game or not. Resulting in buying a game, or pass out.

In the end I think they only did lose out on some money. The problem was probably bigger with Shadow Dragon, as that was a pretty bad game after the great GBA ones. If anyone tried that on a ROM, they most likely didn't buy the cartridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlikely.

From what I remember Fates got a ROM and later on an English patch as well. There were even people who said they would prefer to get it instead of the localized version of the game because of the localization and it didn't seem to have affected the sales. 3DS seems to be harder to hack as well compared to previous systems so I doubt that many people got ROMs for these games.

IS seems to be satisfied with Echoes' sales as well due to how much they marketed it recently so I don't think it sold that poorly.

 

2 hours ago, SSJDennis said:

Maybe it's just me, but piracy seems to be a thing for a younger audience. I used to play only ROMs when I was young. I had little to no money, but I did want to play all those GBC/GBA games. Also some weren't available for my region(EU). A problem I still have.

But now that I actually earn enough and have a family, I prefer the "real" thing. Also playing wherever you want, rather than on a laptop/computer is also a big plus to me.

I do like Citra for recording videos, but that's it. Its still too slow for my liking, and again, needed to sit behind a pc is a big no to me.

I am pretty sure more people feel like this. ROMs also have been a good "demo" to me, to find out if I liked a game or not. Resulting in buying a game, or pass out.

I see what you mean but I don't think it is only a thing for the younger audience especially how it seems much harder to hack the 3DS compared to the previous systems or for testing it like a demo.

People who are interested in the other games (such as FE1-6, FE12 and TearRing Saga) but don't speak Japanese and are interested about knowing what's going on/or for gameplay reasons (such as understanding the interface), might want to play ROMs for these games with an English patch.

I have the actual Tellius games but some people might prefer a ROM for these games due to how rare and expensive these games are nowadays compared to their initial releases as well.

Of course there are also many fangames for FE who require a ROM as well though I guess it's different for that case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IS sold the majority of the copies they made, so I don't think they expected it to do any better than it did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not. If it did, probably less than a full percent.

Something huge to take into consideration is that 3DS emulation isnt all that great. There is a reason most just get a capture card to play, like the FE youtubers. 3DS Emulation is slow as all hell and a buggy, glitchy mess. So right there is a huge deterrent to just try and pirate it.

On top of that you add in how hard it is to actually hack the 3DS and manipulate it. You cant exactly just throw the pirated game onto your 3DS and call it a day. So that would also deter a large amount of would be pirates.

So when it comes down to it, only your most dedicated to actually trying to play the game early actually achieved it. And that is less than a percent of the people who bought the game. To add to that I am pretty sure the ones who did so likely bought the game anyway.

I doubt it hurt the sales at all. And from what it sounds like, Echoes sold quite well. More than Nintendo had expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

Does any1 actually have the sales number for Echoes? I'm hoping it did as well as Fates.

I don't have exact numbers but I know it didn't sell nearly as much as Awakening or Fates or probably even Mystery of the Emblem. (understatement of the year), and they expected that, as previously mentioned they went through most of their stock according to them, so it was a success in their eyes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jedi said:

I don't have exact numbers but I know it didn't sell nearly as much as Awakening or Fates or probably even Mystery of the Emblem. (understatement of the year), and they expected that, as previously mentioned they went through most of their stock according to them, so it was a success in their eyes. 

Good God that's depressing to hear. It one thing to not do as well the other 3DS games but a DS game!? Man that sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Good God that's depressing to hear. It one thing to not do as well the other 3DS games but a DS game!? Man that sucks.

Super Famicom, I think. We call the DS one New Mystery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

Super Famicom, I think. We call the DS one New Mystery.

That's only making it even more depressing than it should be. I mean I personally think the game is over rated but I can't believe it do as well as Awakening & Fates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

That's only making it even more depressing than it should be. I mean I personally think the game is over rated but I can't believe it do as well as Awakening & Fates.

Marth and the Archanean cast are just as constant as the 3DS titles. Like it or not, SFC Mystery made an impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last data I saw for Echoes, had it at about 203,000 units in Japan, which makes it lowest selling game after PoR, Thracia, and RD. Internationally, we have no data at all to say how it did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I also saw that the biggest complaint was the lack of Waifu Emblem. I like the Support System, I think it's neat, but a great game selling bad because you can't marry that HD jpeg is something the fandom need to think through, I don't want this franchise to die just because of that, nor do I want Awakening/Fates Support System every game now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2017 at 11:20 AM, Arn said:

Yeah, I also saw that the biggest complaint was the lack of Waifu Emblem. I like the Support System, I think it's neat, but a great game selling bad because you can't marry that HD jpeg is something the fandom need to think through, I don't want this franchise to die just because of that, nor do I want Awakening/Fates Support System every game now.

Where have people said this? I have yet to meet anyone who didn't buy Echoes because there is no Avatar or "Waifus." This is something I see a lot of Fates and Awakening detractors claim yet never back up with proof. I highly doubt that would effect sales.

Besides wouldn't pirating games cause your 3DS to be banned from Wi-Fi? I remember people pirating Pokemon Sun/Moon and playing online getting hit with a huge ban wave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way I feel that the leaks would have harmed the sales were if people who unsure on whether or not they wanted to buy it saw what information was being put out there and went, "fuck that shit" and I don't blame them. Apparently they met their goals so what do I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...