Least favourite character(s)?

Echo here, but Faye. She's legitimately creepy, she lives and breathes Alm. Faye was kind of an ass to Silque in their supports too. She apologizes in the end but...eh. I would bench her but she's a good unit.

Clive seems like a bland character, but I don't hate him.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forsyth.

Annoying brainless nationalist soldier-type who sees himself as less than the priviledged nobles he admires and envies.

I don't know how Python, who is probably the game's most sane character, manages to tolerate him.

Edited by Vince777

Definitely Faye for reasons already mentioned. She’s such a goddamn bitch.

I’m not very fond of Clair either but she’s okay, I guess.

Edited by Faustino

I like the cast as a whole, so even my least favorites are relatively low on a franchise-wide scale, but I'd say of all the units I feel Clive comes the closest being bad. He only really has a point if you screw up, otherwise he has little reason to be so antagonistic to Alm when he gets results, not to mention that he's a terrible unit. Honestly if it weren't for Mathilda he would be outright god-awful in my eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

Every new character to SoV suffers from the same issues of gorgeous designs and VA work, but wobbly writing. Half the old cast is written all over the place, too, but I feel Berkut and Rinea suffer the most from being so shoehorned in. Especially the plot-device called Rinea. 

I don't hate Faye, I just feel grossly sorry for her. She just never understood she didn't have a chance with Alm, and it just stewed in her for her whole life, making her come off as... that, with Alm never connecting the dots.

Her supports with Alm are more about how badly she's handling the war despite her outward attitude. She kept having to rely on the dream she'd live happily with Alm after all the bloodshed to keep on going (and that also meant protecting Alm at all costs). Her initial dismissal of Silque, lack of other supports, and admittance in her A-support with Alm that she can't let go of the dream lead me to think that.

I guess I'm overanalyzing it, but I just found she felt different than my expectations after beginning to play SoV. Faye exists for the singular purpose of giving Alm a female villager, but Lord. Did they bork up by making her a bad Catria archetype. She pushes into Camilla range, really. 

Meh. Either way, it's badly written whether you see Faye as a gross character or a damaged one since she was never allowed to bounce off of enough other characters to be much beyond "everything I do is for Alm because I love him so much." 

I mean, Leon is right there with the same kind of love for and drive to be near Valbar, with the key difference being Leon could move on, so everything about his manner and dialogue reflect that. 

But, otherwise, if we are basing our dislike on unit utility, I can't wait to drop the "wtf is accuracy" archer, Python. Why....

Edited by Altrosa

• 2 weeks later...

Kliff: Just so boring...

Faye: Ew...Annoying brat

Delthea: Same as above

Clair: I just can’t stand that type of character

Fernand/Berkut/Rinea: Useless

I ADORE Rinea’s design, but she literally is an acessory, Berkut is a boring selfish villain, and I only liked Fernand’s last moment, but by that point it was too late for me to like him. His memory shards moments were cute tho.

Deen, I hate his design. Clive I hate too, but not as much as Deen.
I also hate Conrad, he has no reason to exist and just looks ugly.

I'll have to disagree about Delthea.I rather liked her personality, she's just a young girl, even if she's rude, irritating and full of herself, but she feels very real imo.

Edited by Gebby

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I'm the only one who likes Clive (although he is a bad unit). I think his actions and thinking are coherent given the circumstances he is in. I especially like his optional scene with Alm if Mathilda dies in the chapter for her recruitment.

Then again, I see no one hates Python, which is my favourite in this game. He seems to be one of the most sane guys as mentioned above.

4 hours ago, Xzedopau said:

Looks like I'm the only one who likes Clive (although he is a bad unit). I think his actions and thinking are coherent given the circumstances he is in. I especially like his optional scene with Alm if Mathilda dies in the chapter for her recruitment.

Then again, I see no one hates Python, which is my favourite in this game. He seems to be one of the most sane guys as mentioned above.

Oh I hate Python. Just not for the same reasons I dislike Clive. 

I actually like Python as a character since he's funny and cynicle for more justified reasons but he's such garbage as a unit that it overshadows his occasional funny line. With Clive its the other way around. He's extremely average as a unit but I don't like him as a character. 

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh I hate Python. Just not for the same reasons I dislike Clive. 

I actually like Python as a character since he's funny and cynicle for more justified reasons but he's such garbage as a unit that it overshadows his occasional funny line.

But you just said you hate him?

8 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

But you just said you hate him?

Yeah. I do hate Python because he's a terrible unit and pretty much a ball and chain for my team. If he wasn't I wouldn't have hated him. What I said was that I hate Python for being a bad unit while I usually dislike characters for having a personality I don't like. It makes Python special since he's the only character I can think of who I feel I got to judge by his performance. 

Faye comes to mind. Seriously, even Camilla is a better character than her. Berkut also comes in mind. He's basically just an annoyance and he's a total jerk killing off even his own fiance.

Playable characters? Well there's Celica who makes the worst decisions possible and also, because of her decision, I couldn't train the units she gets even further until after the endgame.

10 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah. I do hate Python because he's a terrible unit and pretty much a ball and chain for my team. If he wasn't I wouldn't have hated him. What I said was that I hate Python for being a bad unit while I usually dislike characters for having a personality I don't like. It makes Python special since he's the only character I can think of who I feel I got to judge by his performance. 

So you hate him as a unit, but tolerate him as a character?

Excluding villains, I think I'd have to give it to Faye. I really like her design and I really wanted to like her character, but I don't. She's a jerk to Silque for no reason, and she takes her obsession with Alm too far. She tries to manipulate him and later claims to accept that he doesn't like her romantically...but then basically treats her husband like crap and leaves him and her family worrying while she up and vanishes. Continuously. While still obsessing over Alm. A good person Faye is not.

Edit: I'm gonna put Leon into my list, as well. Yeah, him and Faye. They're my least favorite of the playable (not DLC) cast.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

*Alm's Side*

Clive: Although I dislike him as a character and unit, I do like that he at least acknowledges his weaknesses and hypocrisy(even if he doesn't really do anything about that).

Clair: I knew I wouldn't like her much because I can't stand the prissy princess types that idolize their brothers blindly(it's especially annoying since I'm not a fan of said brother). I don't find her ignorance regarding peasants cute or endearing and the way she addressed Alm and his party when they first met really annoyed me. I like that she stands up for herself and her VA does a good job, but in all, not impressed. She's slightly more tolerable in Heroes, but that's only because the writers do their best to ensure that every character fawns over you, so....

Mathilda: I don't exactly dislike her, but I feel her character revolves too much around those mentioned above.

Faye: What everyone else said. I feel she was a missed opportunity and that's a shame. She's basically a joke character with how far they took her Alm obsession. I wish her ending involved her truly getting over him and going on to do great things like the rest of her friends, realizing that her love for Alm wasn't a waste since she got to experience new things and leave Ram.

Delthea: It's one thing when siblings constantly have their squabbles. I have a younger sister so I get it. But she's the epitome of an ungrateful brat. Badmouthing your brother to a stranger(Clair support) is pretty...I dunno, wrong. At least they reconcile in their support, but I never was a fan of the bratty kid units in FE.

Berkut and Fernand: I couldn't bring myself to feel sorry for either of them :/

*Celica's Side*

Leon: He constantly preens himself, attaches himself a widowed man, and.... that's about it. No thanks....

Est: It seems like she just drags her sisters and the rest of the army down, both story and game play wise. My least favorite of the Whitewings.

Conrad: His obsession with Celica is understandable, but quite annoying and creepy. More could have been done to make his character more interesting. For one, they could have given him more supports.

Mae: I don't dislike her, I just wish she would shut up sometimes lol

Personality-wise, I'd go with Faye. If there's one character type I absolutely hate, it's the satellite character, and Faye has to be one of the worst uses of the trope I've seen in modern media, let alone the Fire Emblem series. To be fair, I tried to like her at first, but as I began her supports with Alm and Silque, her obsession with the former became so. Goddamn. Irritating! I know there are other characters in the series that may also qualify as "satellites", but the difference there is that they have other character traits to fall back on. 

Gameplay-wise, I'm going with Python. He has consistently proven to be the most useless character in Alm's story. Python not only sucks at dealing damage, but in almost every battle I've used him in, he dies. As a result, I end up wasting turns on Mila's timewheel because perfectionistic nature forbid I complete the battle with one less unit. Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder whether I should start leaving him behind in every future map. 

The only unit I dislike was Faye for the same reasons as everyone else.. and Celica was a little stupid too, I guess. Just-- her decisions.. all of her decisions were terrible.

I think the one character I dislike is Delthea I just really do not like her bratty character. And Conrad gets on my nerves a lot usually boiling down to 1) I don't need your help get out of here 2) he shifts the focus away from Celica and Alm respectively onto himself, that and I think the "mysterious masked person" is starting to become a running gag at this point (Gerome, Lucina, Percy and now Conrad).

On 1/6/2018 at 3:34 AM, Corbin said:

Personality-wise, I'd go with Faye. If there's one character type I absolutely hate, it's the satellite character, and Faye has to be one of the worst uses of the trope I've seen in modern media, let alone the Fire Emblem series. To be fair, I tried to like her at first, but as I began her supports with Alm and Silque, her obsession with the former became so. Goddamn. Irritating! I know there are other characters in the series that may also qualify as "satellites", but the difference there is that they have other character traits to fall back on. 

Gameplay-wise, I'm going with Python. He has consistently proven to be the most useless character in Alm's story. Python not only sucks at dealing damage, but in almost every battle I've used him in, he dies. As a result, I end up wasting turns on Mila's timewheel because perfectionistic nature forbid I complete the battle with one less unit. Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder whether I should start leaving him behind in every future map. 

You gotta give him the steel bow with that ability to hit hard (I forgot its name)

He was pretty good at farming damage for someone else kill with one hit, specially against arcanists

Edited by Xzedopau