What games would you like remakes or remasters of?

Ronnie

Since Resident Evil 2 is getting a remake, might as well round-out the original PS1 RE trilogy and get an RE3 remake, too.

Similarly, once the Final Fantasy 7 remake is out in 2069, I would like 8 and 9 remakes, too. Especially 8, since outside of 7, I always felt that was the FF that would most benefit from a remake.

And adding on to PS1 Square RPGs, remakes of Xenogears to give us a proper last quarter, and a remake of Vagrant Story would be nice.

Also, if Sony ever wanted to do anything with the franchise ever again, a remake of Legend of Dragoon would be a good place to start.

Basically a lot of really neat, early 3D games would be great for remakes.

As for remasters:

I'd laugh if the old Drakengard games got remasters after Nier: Automata kind of made the franchise mainstream. I wonder how many people who played Nier even realize it's a sequel to a spinoff of the Drakengard games. They're janky and busted, though, which is partly why I think it'd be funny to remaster them.

Dragon Quest 8 getting a proper remaster would be great. Even just one of the HD touch-ups that they do for the PS4 would be enough. HD remaster on Switch is my ideal scenario, though.

The Kingdom Under Fire games would be nice to be playable on anything other than an original Xbox(I think Crusader is backwards compatible on the 360, but that's still just old-ass Crusaders).

Edited by Slumber

The Phantasy Star series. I never played the games (I only saw videos and listened to the OSTs), but I'd like to finally have a taste of the series through remade versions.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles too. I'd pay double Mania's price for this.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or Rondo of Blood (or both). I know there is one for the PSP, but it is also old. Maybe remaking Trevor's game (Super Castlevania 3?) would be a good market tactic because of Netflix's short animation.

Streets of Rage. To be honest, my ideal scenario is a game similar to the fangame that mixes stages and elements from all the 3 SoR titles, but that is asking too much.

Golden Axe is also a good candidate and should receive the same treatment as above in an ideal scenario.

Earthworm Jim could also rise from the grave and try to find a spot on the Sun again. Just remake the second game and I'd be satisfied.

Since we already have a Maverick Hunter X (it could be remade, but the PSP remake is suficient enough on its own that only a port of it for other platforms is necessary), I'd say Mega Man X2.

As for a guilty pleasure of mine, Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (or the second game, which I'd be ok with). I mean, I think it can work, but it needs a remake and a complete revamp, preferably expanding upon and improving its story, worldbuilding and characters so that it doesn't fall flat like FE11. Also, keep it as a RPG. Don't make an action game, which is one of the reasons why Lufia 2's remake didn't do so well.

Chrono Trigger. No explanation other than "I like it" is needed (but I'd prefer a sequel).

If FE also counts, then Genealogy of the Holy War, certainly.

EDIT: Yeah, forgot one.

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2. It still brings me memories and I think it is solid enough to deserve a remake.

Edited by Rapier

I guess I would like a TWEWY remake in 3D. Or even a remake that's basically like the iOS version but with the same combat system the DS version had.

A remake of the Mother/Earthbound games would nice too.

I would also like remakes of The Legend of Zelda games for the game boy colour 

EDIT:

@Rapier I think a remake of the third Lufia game (i.e. Lufia: The Legend Returns) would be more preferable, since it's dungeon system, as well as graphics due to being a GBC game, are the most awful ones out of the series. Especially when compared to Lufia 2.

And I second the Chrono Trigger one. There was supposed to be a DS remake of it, but unfortunately it got cancelled for some reason. 

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Uh, there is a Chrono Trigger remake for the DS. Ok, it is basically CT with quality of life options and two extra endings, but.... it still counts as a remake.

Also, I don't see much logic in saying the game with worst graphics should be remade. I never played it, so I can't say anything about its gameplay (I only played the other three). If I were to bet on graphics, ost, gameplay and story, I'd go for a Lufia 2 remake, which I think is the best of the series in those parameters, but since it already got [a bad] one and Lufia 1, despite being a good game, never got a chance, I think it is only fair.

edit: uhh how could I forget

I second a Mother 2 or 3 remake, moreso for the former.

Edited by Rapier

40 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Uh, there is a Chrono Trigger remake for the DS. Ok, it is basically CT with quality of life options and two extra endings, but.... it still counts as a remake.

Wait, what? I'm really sorry about that, I guess I confused it with the unreleased fangame, Chrono Resurrection. 

46 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Also, I don't see much logic in saying the game with worst graphics should be remade. I never played it, so I can't say anything about its gameplay (I only played the other three). If I were to bet on graphics, ost, gameplay and story, I'd go for a Lufia 2 remake, which I think is the best of the series in those parameters, but since it already got [a bad] one and Lufia 1, despite being a good game, never got a chance, I think it is only fair.

What I meant was that the game is not as great as Lufia 2, therefore I thought it should get a remake that includes dungeons similar to Lufia 2 (i.e. a dungeon with puzzles, not a dungeon in which every floor is randomized) and of course, better graphics. It's combat system was not bad though, and I kind of liked it, so it should be left like that. 

Then again, you're right, Lufia 2 and Lufia 1 should get a remake instead, because of the reasons you mentioned, and they're the more popular ones anyways.

2 hours ago, Rapier said:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or Rondo of Blood (or both). I know there is one for the PSP, but it is also old. Maybe remaking Trevor's game (Super Castlevania 3?) would be a good market tactic because of Netflix's short animation.

Streets of Rage. To be honest, my ideal scenario is a game similar to the fangame that mixes stages and elements from all the 3 SoR titles, but that is asking too much.

Dude I would kill for a Rondo of Blood game where Richter controls like he did in Symphony of the Night.

And I'd love a SoR trilogy in HD. Especially a non-butchered SoR3 US release and fix the slow speed of SoR1 and 2.

29 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Dude I would kill for a Rondo of Blood game where Richter controls like he did in Symphony of the Night.

I wouldn't because it'd get rid of what made the games design good in the first place and would have to be made from the ground up to account for his Super Human SoTN abilities, i'd like a new game with that sure, but I'd rather Rondo stay how it is. 

Ogre Battle & Ogre Battle 64: These two games really would benefit from a remaster, and maybe would even give the incentive to actually continue its story.

For non-FE games, I would like

Nearly all of the old Harvest Moons: FOMT, AWL, SNES, SI, GBC 2, GBC 3, etc. Maybe STH/HOLV, since I think there is more that can be done with it, and I really like that cast.

The first Rune Factory

The Princess Maker series (they sort of got remastered, but it seems just like a polished port, and the translation is still buggy on 3). I'd be fine with a new installment in general though.

Final Fantasy The Crystal Chronicles, maybe FFVII too. I would also love to see FF Tactics back too.

Tear Ring Saga

Tales of Symphonia

Rival Schools. Perfectly good fighting game by Capcom with wonderfully unique characters. Also, it had a create-a-fighter mode that doubled as a fun visual novel, which was predictably exclusive to the Japanese version. The Japanese version of the Dreamcast sequel also had a fun create-a-fighter mode that didn't get into the English version. Go figure. I did read something about Capcom not owning the IP for the title or whatever, but I still want a remake one day. I'm holding out for a miracle.

Metropolismania. A somewhat really obscure PS2 game from the early 2000's about a nameless man in a yellow suit building cities. It had kind of spotty translations, but I gave it pass because I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay, the music, the silly dialogue and the recycled recolored character models of the different possible residents that could move into your city. A really good game by Natsume that deserves a remake.

Phantasy Star: Online. The technology nowadays would really let this game last longer than it did back on the Dreamcast. This game was one of those that made up the bulk of my childhood, particularly for the designs of the world and characters and its soundtrack.

3 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

Metropolismania. A somewhat really obscure PS2 game from the early 2000's about a nameless man in a yellow suit building cities. It had kind of spotty translations, but I gave it pass because I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay, the music, the silly dialogue and the recycled recolored character models of the different possible residents that could move into your city. A really good game by Natsume that deserves a remake.

Interesting to see someone bring this game up, I played it a bit as a kid. I liked it enough, yet I never cleared even the first town, but I think I came close (those residents get angry too easily).

4 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

The first Rune Factory

Yeah RF1 made the series, and had an okay plot with an interesting ending (Raguna appears to be a lost prince of Norad and Ivan is his brother), but gosh it is outright horrible compared to every other RF game there is beyond that. This said, RF2 could use a remake too- I want both Aaron and Aria to be playable as twins! The Gen 2 opening is so sweet that it's a tragedy you only get make of Kyle's kids.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Interesting to see someone bring this game up, I played it a bit as a kid. I liked it enough, yet I never cleared even the first town, but I think I came close (those residents get angry too easily).

I managed to make it to the third stage before my PS2 died years ago. Never got to play it again, unfortunately. I remember learning to befriend the teachers at the first school that the Boss gives you, then going from there. But, that wasn't until I was, like, 14 and I had then game since I was about 8. The more you learn as you grow older, haha. 

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah RF1 made the series, and had an okay plot with an interesting ending (Raguna appears to be a lost prince of Norad and Ivan is his brother), but gosh it is outright horrible compared to every other RF game there is beyond that. This said, RF2 could use a remake too- I want both Aaron and Aria to be playable as twins! The Gen 2 opening is so sweet that it's a tragedy you only get make of Kyle's kids.

It's amazing at how quickly the RF team upgraded their games. They really added a lot of cool features after the original RF. It's the only one I haven't played, so I would love to have even a remastered version of it. If they took a lot of the RF4 game mechanics for battle, maybe add armor + weapon customization, and made the town bigger (so more villagers to interact with, not necessarily bachelorettes though, since we already have 10), more festivals (RFF's quiz festival is my fave), swimsuits in the summer, winter clothes, etc. I'm not sure if they should have the option to pick male or female due to plot reasons, but Raguna would be the canon choice anyways idk.

I would love to see RF2 too. Maybe have the children more customizable? Like at least one of the kids if we go with the twin idea look more like their father/mother? That could be interesting. I would love to see them switch off and being able to delegate tasks for the twins.

Also wouldn't mind if they added DLC outfits that referenced past characters either. You buy (in game) from some shop, and give it to the corresponding bachelorette. I.e. you buy Bianca a Sofia/Electra outfit and she'll wear that around town instead of her usual garb.

Blast Corps- Puzzle game where you destroy buildings to make way for a runaway vehicle. Some of the demolition vehicles were mech suits that excelled at what they did, others were construction vehicles that had to ram them down, with the Dump truck being the most iconic. Had good variety of levels, some where you had (almost) no holpe of smashing the correct buildings and instead had to look for a hidden second vehicle, some involving pushing tnt, and others that deviated from the core gameplay such as the pac-man and racing levels. The game had insane replay value because of it's hard difficulty. This is in large part because the fast times needed to get the platiinum medals came from a competition among the game's beta testers.  One of the more annoying things is that you couldn't even access the Time trials until you had EVERY other gold medal in the game. 

Panel de pon / Tetris Attack - Some days, Tetris Attack Online just doesn't co-operate. Makes me wish for a licensed version of the game with online functionality, especially since the Switch should be free of the reliance on Friend codes that plauged 2/3s of the Wii's online games. 

Everybody's Tennis (PAL JPN)/ Hot Shot Tennis (NA)- Considered a spin-off game of the long running Hot Shots Golf games. While the golf series is still going strong, only two tennis games were ever made (technically just the same game with portable and console versions). I originally purchased the PS2 game with the intention of refunding it within a week in early 2016, but I ended up decided to keep it because I found it's  arcade-y gameplay to give Mario Tennis and Virtua Tennis a run for their money (which the reviews I read  for the game online never suggested). Besides that it even made the campaign mode's doubles matches 2P compatible. No more having to go through doubles championships with a computer!  Me and my brother love this game. and hopefully if it ever spawns sequels they won't corrupt themselves into oblivion like the later Mario Tennis games. 

Star Fox Adventures- I'm just going to accept that the star fox series isn' going to make a straight rail shooter on the level of 64. I think we can have faith for a multi-genre game like SFA (albeit  developed by an inhouse studio this time). The first game only had 5 or so very short Arwing sections, but they could probably be spread more liberally throughout the game in a remake. As for the Zelda-esque dungeons that made up the main game play, a lot of them showed potential and there was maybe 2 interesting ideas that zelda itself hadn't had yet. However I feel like SFA was hamstrung by achingly low difficulty (and the n64 and GCN zelda games weren't hard to begin with), and also ridiculous flexibility in how you got the game's treasures (power cells), with fairly low requirements and even blatantly had an infinite number of them for sale at the game's shop. Also I think you could pause at any time and Peppy would tell you the solution to any given puzzle much more explicitly than any of Link's partners. Nevertheless, the game was okay because of its setting and the cool factor of seeing fox on foot. I feel like a zelda-esque starfox could be made considerably better today than in 2002.

Edited by Reality

9 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I would love to see RF2 too. Maybe have the children more customizable? Like at least one of the kids if we go with the twin idea look more like their father/mother? That could be interesting. I would love to see them switch off and being able to delegate tasks for the twins.

The easy way to change things would be hair and eye colors. A simple solution would be to have it so when Kyle is asked what they hope the baby is the answers available are: Boy, Girl, Twins, I Don't Know, and I Want To Be Surprised. The first choice makes Aaron look like Kyle and Aria like the wife, the second choice does the opposite, the third makes both kids look like Kyle, the fourth makes both look like the wife, and the fifth randomizes it.

I'd also like each mother to modify the children's stats a little bit. Alicia being a fortune teller would increase Intelligence for instance, and Yue being a purveyor of many goods, would boost the children's weapon use levels. Similarly each mother would offer 2nd Gen perks- Rosalind being from the local rich family comes with a hefty 2nd Gen starting inheritance and a weekly/seasonal allowance, while Mana allows you to do more lessons in a day (and maybe Douglas gives you a small discount), Julia would enable you to bathe twice a day.

I'd also toss in another 1st gen marriage rival who goes after Alicia's heart. I was thinking of this because if both of Kyle's kids exist, then the children have a gender imbalance of 1 slanted towards the females, and having another marriage rival who has a son would fix this (yeah, this is a petty want).

Thanks for bringing up RF again, guys. Now I must sit in a corner and cry because we'll likely never get another released (well, it seems RF4's devs were taken by Marvelous when their original company went bankrupt, but there's no talk of a new RF in ages and the only new game they worked on has nothing to do with RF). It's also a big shame since RF4 did so well.

Since we're talking about remakes, should there be a remote possibility for a RF1 or 2 remake, I hope they take cues from RF3 and 4 on introducing the game to new players and being more practical in general. I don't like how in the first two games the players are left on their own to discover about how the game works alone, with little to no guidance. I mean, I don't want the game to hold my hands all the time, but I expect it to hand me down the basics and help get me started. RF3 and 4 do it well by giving you a weapon in the beginning, introducing how quests work and taking the player to the open fields for combat practice. They could tone down a bit on the handholding but it is better than leaving the player to their own like in the first games.

I swear, someone needs to make a "Runedew Valley" someday.

Terranigma. Plus Americans would finally get a proper release, haha.

I think it is an amazing game but it suffers from some mind-boggling decisions when it comes to combat. The town expansion side quest could also use an update to make it more engaging because I think the idea was good and well executed but felt like a concept in the end. I would not change lore or story stuff but they could still use a bit of explaining.

Maybe something similar to how YS Chronicles was handled.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:55 AM, Reality said:

Panel de pon / Tetris Attack - Some days, Tetris Attack Online just doesn't co-operate. Makes me wish for a licensed version of the game with online functionality, especially since the Switch should be free of the reliance on Friend codes that plauged 2/3s of the Wii's online games.

I second this. Panel de Pon is probably tied with Dr. Mario as my favourite puzzle game of all time, however unlike Dr. Mario it hasn't received a proper entry since the Japan only Game Cube version.

Also, a Final Fantasy VIII remake would be nice to see. I feel like it's the entry in the series with the most missed potential and a new take on it could help with many of it's problems.

SaGa Frontier is another case of: "could be done better if remade", though I'm not really sure if Square Enix is interested in making SaGa games anymore.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:42 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd also toss in another 1st gen marriage rival who goes after Alicia's heart. I was thinking of this because if both of Kyle's kids exist, then the children have a gender imbalance of 1 slanted towards the females, and having another marriage rival who has a son would fix this (yeah, this is a petty want).

I would also want this, as well as your customization idea. I always found it weird how Alicia had no rival. Mana I understood, since the game tries to force her on you. And Yue is a special case, but I never got why Alicia always stayed single, especially over someone like Dorothy, who's really shy.

Also, on the topic of Dorothy, I feel like it would make more sense for her to show her eyes all the time after she's married. It makes no sense for her to cover eyes after marriage, imo. She has the prettiest ones too.

On 9/4/2017 at 5:48 PM, Flee Fleet! said:

And I second the Chrono Trigger one. There was supposed to be a DS remake of it, but unfortunately it got cancelled for some reason. 

I have the DS remake (the only version that came to Europe), it's great. The new stuff varies from unnecessary to cool but setting up for CC, which never happened.

Thing is, quite a few games that people are arguing remakes for I'd rather see continuations for (TWEWY) or more straight rereleases (Terranigma). Personally, after the Insane Trilogy happened, I think I'd jump at the chance to see the Spyro trilogy getting the same treatment, even because I'd immediately get it as my brother's present as he has the PS4 right now.

Daggerfall remake let's goooooooo

Bonus points if they keep the map size the same

Edited by Pixelman