Schall: Character Info/Supports/Stats

Florina's #1 Fan

So, the first poll I did on Serenes Forest didn't have many participants, that's cool. I didn't expect many people to get into my work, I guess I'm really just doing this for myself, though I hope that other people will eventually become more interested. Now, Schall the Naive Knight, as promised ;)

Character Description: Schall has been sheltered all his life. His parents worked very hard to make sure that he always had everything he wanted, but Schall actually was never spoiled, because he didn't want anything but company. His mother and father were always busy, so when Michael was adopted into their home, for Schall it was a dream come true, and he never really asked why Michael had to stay with them, instead he tried to connect with another child who was distant, bitter, and somewhat abusive toward everyone around him. It never really affected him though, as to this day Schall is almost supernaturally optimistic, encouraging, and innocent. He has dreamed of being a knight for a long time, and through hard work and dedication to his most apparent talent, magic, he has become a talented recruit to the royal guard. He has trouble morally accepting the taking of lives, but will protect those he cares about without hesitation.

He is the most gullible in the army.

He is the best finger painter in the army.

Class: Troubadour

Growths (including class growths):

HP Strength Magic Skill Speed Luck Defense Resistance
70 25 50 40 25 40 65 30

Personal Skill-  Naiveté: Adjacent allies take -5 magic damage and -2 physical dmg, but their dmg output is decreased by 2

(Not really a) Quick note: I have never liked the troubadour class tree. GBA troubadours I can tolerate because they hit and their caps aren't low, personally I loved Priscilla because she became a magic nuke even though I promoted her early. In Awakening, I did not like making anyone a Strategist because all their stats dropped so that they could be on a horse. In Fates, Elise was a terrible unit who couldn't find her nose on her face according to her skill stat, and other strategists also had this issue as well, they were cannons with no aiming feature, so they just floundered in combat and fell behind because they could only get experience by healing. So I decided to do two things: 1. Bring back the magic triangle if I ever did make this, because I miss the magic triangle, and 2. Completely reconfigure the Troubadour class. I did the following-

• Raised their defense and dropped their resistance: I figured that, like most mounted units, Troubadours should have low resistance, because it isn't the person that really is taking the hit most of the time, it's their mount. And most mounted units have better defense than foot soldiers, because they're mounted, so I raised the defense stat.
  • Raised their HP a lot: Horse units typically also have a good amount of HP, which again, is totally different in comparison to Strategists, who have wet paper defenses and an HP cap in Fates of 45, which is the lowest promoted HP cap of any class in the game, equal only to Onmyoji and Songstress, which are both foot soldier classes (why?). I wanted there to be a big difference between Troubadours and other magic units, because the difference between Dark Mages and Mages isn't really that large, and that makes it feel like it doesn't matter what kind of mage you are, you're just that: a mage. So I gave Troubadours a big HP boost so that they wouldn't have nice defenses and a pitiful HP stat.
  • Gave them an offensive magic: Because troubadours have the lowest magic stat of the three main magic classes and the lowest skill, they get light magic, my favorite! Light magic is the weakest of the three types, so it won't do a whole lot of damage, but they aren't heavy either, so there will be more doubling. It won't make troubadours the obvious choice over a generic Cleric, because the Cleric's supportive role can still be there while the troubadour picks off enemies from the back lines, and Clerics are much better at healing because of their higher starting staff experience and higher magic.
  • Trashed their speed: Because I don't want to make them combat units and have players completely abandon the class' supportive side, Troubadours will be poor dodgers. While their luck is sky-high, their speed is poor, and they won't be too reliable for dodge-tanking

Sorry to overthrow Schall's character page with data, just rationalizing why his stats look so odd for a troubadour. And even though I know I could never make this sort of a game myself, I like to think of the stats and inner workings of an imaginary game in my head :\

I will only post supports with characters that have their own posts like this, so when characters have a page and are supposed to have a support with Schall, then you can start saying, "Hey where's ____'s support with ____?". I would appreciate critique of my supports when I write them, because I can then change them, correct them, or even completely redo them to make them better :) Your input helps, not hurts.

Oh- and the link below is for the first part to the story, which is essentially years before the main campaign actually starts, so don't be confused when there is no mention of the character I just wrote about :) You can also find my writing on my profile and by clicking the tag I used, 'florinas fanwork.'

Taren-C

Taren: Whatcha' got there, Schall?

Schall: Huh? Oh, I finally finished a little home for this squirrel. It took me three days to carve it and hollow it out.

Taren: You spent all that time on a squirrel house?

Schall: Yes?

Taren: Schall, why did you waste that many minutes of your life?

Schall: But the squirrel got hurt... Gill nearly trampled him, he was lucky he didn’t die.

Taren: So what? He’s a squirrel, his life’s impact on the world is astronomically puny.

Schall: All life matters, Taren, no matter how big or how small.

Taren: Schall, humans are the true impactors, without us, nothing on this Earth would ever change.

Schall: But why does that give us the right to bully other creatures?

Taren: That isn't what I meant, I'm just saying I don't think that squirrel was going to affect the number of casualties in our next battle.

Schall: Why must it always be battle? Even in war, other things are important too.

Taren: In war, in all battles, you have to be focused.

Schall: Well, this is how I stay focused. Goodbye, Taren.

Taren: Okay?

Taren-B

Taren: Schall, I wanted to apologize.

Schall: I forgive you.

Taren: Really? But I haven't even told you why I wanted to apologize yet.

Schall: There are plenty of people who don't understand why I do stupid things like lift baby birds back in their nest when they failed to fly, or leave baskets of fruit at people's houses when I don't know them, or... build squirrel houses. Hah. I know, I'm a weirdo.

Taren: No, that's not it, you're sweet.

Schall: But I always do it. I can't stop myself, even when it feels sort of embarrassing. Occasionally, when I try to be nice to someone, they don't trust me or don't accept my help. And it makes me sad. Because all I ever want to do is help. And there aren't many people like that, that don't expect a reward.

Taren: Because not everyone can afford to give freely. You come from a rich family, Schall. Did you ever think about how much money that fruit costs? Or how much time it takes for someone to climb up a tree and find a bird's nest? It's cute that you want to help people, but it can be sort of off putting when it could be interpreted as charity. Not everyone wants that.

Schall: I guess.

Taren: Look, I wanted to apologize, not because I was thinking you were weird, but because I called it a waste of time. How you decide to spend your time, your money, or your wood, it's your business.

Schall: Thank you.

Taren-A

Taren: Schall, I know we had a nice conversation the other day

Schall: It was refreshing, yes-

Taren: And you're just so sweet, but- you really didn't have to give me a fruit basket.

Schall: I didn't.

Taren: What?

Schall: I just told other people about what I did at the capital. You know, giving without reward, and I suppose they followed suit.

Taren: So, who is this from?

Schall: Does it matter?

Taren: A little?

Schall: It doesn't matter.

Taren: But then I can't thank them.

Schall: So thank yourself. For being such an encouraging friend.

Taren: Aww... c'mere, you big dope.

Schall: You're... crushing me... a little.

I like the format you have going here and how you try to flesh out your character.  I myself have a ton of OCs on my DeviantART page (also here, but they will be updated on DeviantART), but I've only been able to give them basic personalities and have not thought much about their Supports.  In particular, I would like to revamp my Lord OC Carol's background so that she can get better character development.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I like the format you have going here and how you try to flesh out your character.

Thank you :) I love developing characters, though some have been harder than others. Schall is one of my favorites. I love drawing him, his carrot top and his goofy grin, though none of my drawings are worthy of Serenes Forest display :\

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

...I've only been able to give them basic personalities and have not thought much about their Supports.  In particular, I would like to revamp my Lord OC Carol's background so that she can get better character development.

Basic personalities are a start. My characters didn't have much depth at first, this was a project I came back to after like a year. I reassessed my characters, made some new ones, figured out how they would communicate dynamically, and applied these ideas to a script. It's pretty fun, and if you start by writing with more plain jane characters, it'll become easier to adapt to the way supports are written :) It's fun, and after a while, it's easy, too. You just have to sort of ease into it.

P.S. The support I had for Taren and Schall before, I hated it (it was very old). I took some elements of the old script and spiked them into the new one, so that just goes to show you how much your writing can grow and change.