Tactician_Iris's Art!

Tactician_Iris

So uh...I ended up taking the plunge to make this thread, to share what creativity I end up drawing/painting and the like. ;)

I mostly work with traditional mediums when I draw/paint but I also do digital work, sometimes on my phone a poor womans excuse for a Cintiq and I strive to improve. Atm, I'm working on getting more used to working in digital and perspective, colour is as ever, a learning subject (there's so much to experiment with after all).

Well, that's the gist of this thread basically. So uh, since I'm not savvy with words (and if I'm left unchecked I'll just end up rambling nonsense) I think I'll let my art speak for itself..? Yes that sounds like a plan - onward then!

For starters I'll leave this piece here:

Spoiler

Gz10YXy.png

To celebrate having fun in FEH on Team Camilla while playing the CYL Voting Gauntlet, and cheer myself up from the toxicity surrounding it and since I fell in love with Camilla's Chapter 8 outfit in the Fire Emblem if: Crown of Nibelung manga, I *knew* I'd end up drawing her sooner or later...and this is the result!

The painting was made on my phone in Autodesk Skethpad with minor touchup in Photoshop, and while there is room for improvement - it could use colours that contrasted a bit more and the hair might have been better if I "defined" it a bit more - but I still like it overall, it has a nice "feel" to it when I look at it.

(As I make something new/or if I find an older piece to share, I'll update this post to showcase it - oler updates will get categorised under spoilers) 

Edited by Tactician_Iris

You've got a really nice soft style which reminds me very much of my own. And I love the texture on the dress! It feels like a very shiny smooth fabric, which can be very hard to paint correctly.

People have pointed out that the face looks off and I have to agree. The problem lies in the symmetry of the face and to show you I did a quick edit with the Liquify tool in Photoshop. The biggest issues are the jaw and the mouth; they are not evenly divided in the face by the red symmetry line. In the edited version I also moved the eye a little bit closer to the center of the face, but that's just a minor detail.

Hope this helps and good luck on your art journey.

9hzLuhu.png

Thank you for taking the time to look and critique - I appreciate feedback and pointers. :)

On 2017-09-06 at 0:44 PM, Zangetsu said:

I don't what it is, but something off about the face. It looks off but I can't explain it. Other than that, magnificent job on capturing Camilla's beauty.

I agree that there's something off - particularly now that I see it on a larger monitor compared to my phone.
I think Sietje pointed out what's off - it's the lack of symmetry that is the culprit.

On 2017-09-06 at 1:59 PM, Michelaar said:

The eyes seem off to me, but great job nonetheless|

Hm...Aside from what Sietje pointed out with the eye being a smidge too far to the left, could it be something else that causes it to look off?
Like, the lashes or the iris's saturated colour (when compared to rest of the picture)? I kept going over the lashes and iris over and over. :S

6 hours ago, Sietje said:

You've got a really nice soft style which reminds me very much of my own. And I love the texture on the dress! It feels like a very shiny smooth fabric, which can be very hard to paint correctly.

People have pointed out that the face looks off and I have to agree. The problem lies in the symmetry of the face and to show you I did a quick edit with the Liquify tool in Photoshop. The biggest issues are the jaw and the mouth; they are not evenly divided in the face by the red symmetry line. In the edited version I also moved the eye a little bit closer to the center of the face, but that's just a minor detail.

Hope this helps and good luck on your art journey.

Yeah "soft" is quite often the word used when my art is described - some of my teachers in school kept telling me to "dare to be rougher" in my work lol.

The dress texture was sooo much fun to draw (and the glass beads/pearls), tbh I was a bit worried that I'd end up overdoing it - but somehow it melded together well I think.^^

And thanks for the red-line - I really appreciate visual pointers like these, it's so much easier for me to understand where I went wrong when I can see it visualised.
I do see what you mean on the symmetry - I think I rushed it when I drew the guidelines.

Actually, me skipping ahead when I draw is a bit of a bane for me unfourtunately - I have this bad habit of skipping ahead to drawing the details because they're too much fun to draw. So I sometimes miss re-checking stuff properly. D: