Yet another FE8 tier list

Tierlists can be a really controversial thing, but I just felt like sharing my opinion on this game's ranking and discussing it.
I'll be assuming that Seth is not being (ab)used and grinding is not allowed.

Tier Explanations:

Spoiler

Lord Tier: You have to bring him/her. They will always contribute, in one way or another. Even if it's just a little. Ranking them makes little sense.
Seth Tier: Units that completely break the game. They're OP and can do everything. Using them renders the whole cast redundant. If they're not banned from use, they'll function as the main Lord.
S-Tier: Units that contribute immediately and effectively upon joining. They have amazing availability, combat performance and/or utility. There are no reasons not to deploy these units.
A-Tier: Units that contribute a lot in the course of the game. Some investment may be required, but it's easy to do and the reward will be worth it.They have outstanding availability, combat performance and/or utility. There are hardly any reasons not to deploy these units.
B-Tier: Units that can contribute well, but they either require some investment in order to do so or join later in game. They have some weaknesses, but their strenghts outmatch them. Deploying these is generally speaking a good decision.
C-Tier: Units than can contribute decently, but are hindered by either their jointime, combat performance and/or utility. Deploying these units can be useful depending on the situation.
D-Tier: Units that can provide decent utility and/or fill a niche. They have huge negatives that hinder them from being effective, but they can pull off their job just fine. If you need a niche-filler you can consider deploying these.
E-Tier: Units that can't contribute to anything meaningfull at all, except if major investment is put into them. They will usually be a hindrance, and raising them is extremely difficult or not rewarding. They have absolutely no utility and they are outclassed by other units. There are PLENTY of reasons not to deploy these.

The names inside the () indicates the Road Taken by the player.
The Units are ranked within the seperate tiers... kind of.

Lord Tier:
Eirika (Eirika)
Ephraim (Ephraim)

Seth Tier:
Seth

S-Tier:
Franz
Vanessa
Tethys
Saleh (Eirika)

A-Tier:
Arthur
Moulder
Gerik
Cormag (Ephraim)
Tana
Kyle
Saleh (Ephraim)
Forde

B-Tier:
Garcia
Innes (Eirika)
Ephraim (Eirika)
Duessel (Ephraim)
Lute
Cormag (Eirika)

C-Tier:
Eirika (Ephraim)
Innes (Ephraim)
Joshua
Natasha
Gillaim
Colm
Duessel (Eirika)
Dozla
Myrrh
Ross

D-Tier:
Knoll
L'Arachell
Rennac
Neimi

E-Tier:
Ewan
Marisa
Amelia

Reasoning:

Spoiler

S-Tier

Franz: He is a cavalier that joins in Ch 1. His stats are well rounded, with a bit more emphasis on offense. He is a competent combat unit, and one of your most valueable ones for the earlygame. After promotion he becomes even better. I don't think I have to explain why paladins are amazing. He's there from start to end and he's amazing throughout.
Vanessa: Flier joining in Ch 2. The earlygame of FE8 are mostly wide outdoor-maps, so you'll always want to have her, whether it's for tradechains, rescuechains, saving villages, saving NPCs, ferrying units or for combat. Her attack and defense are not impressive, but she basically doubles anything.
Tethys: Dancer.
Saleh (Eirika): Joining in Ch 12, right at the mid of the game, he's your Pent of FE8. "(Pent) - 3" since his bases are exactly Pent's, but -3 in every stat (except for one stat I think, but whatever). So he's a prepromoted Sage with amazing bases, good CON and good weapon ranks. Sadly, Physic is a B Staff, but the first Physic Staff comes around Ch 14, so you'll have some time to level up his Staff rank with the Barrier Staff you get in the Chapter he joins in. His combat performance is outstanding. He can do anything your other mages can at that point in the game. [I originally intended him to be in Tier A, but I chose to move him up to "low" S-Tier]

A-Tier

Arthur: He's a pretty god Light mage from the start. He can easily keep up with the rest and once he promotes he gets Slayer and also a pretty handy C-Rank in staves. Together with Moulder, he's one of top contendors for the first Guiding Ring.
Gerik: His base stats are absolutely amazing, and he even brings his own Hero Crest. You can either feed him some Levels or just promote him instantly. Both promotion are good in their own way. Ranger gives him 7 MOV and a horse, while Hero gives him access to 1-2 range via hand axe. Outstanding unit that requires 0 investment.
Moulder: Starting as a healer, his comabt performance is noneistant. He is your only healer for a few chapter, and even once Natasha joins, he'll be in a better position than her due to his better bulk and magic. Once he promotes he gets Slayer and D in Light, which allows him to use Shine times from the get-go. He's one of the best candidates for the first Guiding Ring, but Arthur is usually the preferred choice.
Cormag (Ephraim): He joins a lot earlier in Ephraim's route, which gives him more chapters to do stuff and more EXP to gain. His combat perfomance is a lot better than Tana's, although his untility is a little worse due to his CON. Just as Gerik, he already has his promotion item in the inventory. He'll only need one Level to promote, which is fairly easy gained.

**will be done eventually**

Edited by Mariode

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Mariode said:

Tierlists can be a really controversial thing, but I just felt like sharing my opinion on this game's ranking and discussing it.
I'll be assuming that Seth is not being (ab)used and grinding is not allowed.

Tier Explanations:

Hide contents

Lord Tier: You have to bring him/her. They will always contribute, in one way or another. Even if it's just a little. Ranking them makes little sense.
Seth Tier: Units that completely break the game. They're OP and can do everything. Using them renders the whole cast redundant.
S-Tier: Units that contribute immediately and effectively upon joining. They have amazing availability, combat performance and/or utility. There are no reasons not to deploy these units.
A-Tier: Units that contribute a lot in the course of the game. Some investment may be required, but it's easy to do and the reward will be worth it.They have outstanding availability, combat                performance and/or utility. There are hardly any reasons not to deploy these units.
B-Tier: Units that can contribute well, but they either require some investment in order to do so or join later in game. They have some weaknesses, but their strenghts outmatch them.                          Deploying these is generally speaking a good decision.
C-Tier: Units than can contribute decently, but are hindered by either their jointime, combat performance and/or utility. Deploying these units can be useful depending on the situation.
D-Tier: Units that can provide decent utility and/or fill a niche. They have huge negatives that hinder them from being effective, but they can pull off their job just fine. If you need a niche-filler              you can consider deploying these.
E-Tier: Units that can't contribute to anything meaningfull at all, except if major investment is put into them. They will usually be a hindrance, and raising them is extremely difficult or not                      rewarding. They have absolutely no utility and they are outclassed by other units. There are PLENTY of reasons not to deploy these.

The names inside the () indicates the Road Taken by the player.
The Units are ranked within the seperate tiers... kind of.

Lord Tier:
Eirikia (Erikia)
Ephraim (Ephraim)

Seth Tier:
Seth

S-Tier:
Franz
Vanessa
Tethys
Saleh (Erika)

A-Tier:
Duessel (Ephraim)
Arthur
Forde
Kyle
Gerik
Saleh (Ephraim)
Moulder

B-Tier:
Duessel (Eirika)
Innes
Ephraim (Eirika)
Tana
Cormag
Syrene
Lute
Natasha

C-Tier:
Eirika (Ephraim)
Joshua
Dozla
Ross
Garcia
Gilliam

D-Tier:
L'Arachell
Colm
Rennac
Knoll
Myrrh

E-Tier:
Marisa
Ewan
Neimi
Amelia

Reasoning:

Reveal hidden contents

Franz: He is a cavalier that joins in Ch 1. His stats are well rounded, with a bit more emphasis on offense. He is a competent combat unit, and one of your most valueable ones for the earlygame. After promotion he becomes even better. I don't think I have to explain why paladins are amazing. He's there from start to end and he's amazing throughout.
Vanessa: Flier joining in Ch 2. The earlygame of FE8 are mostly wide outdoor-maps, so you'll always want to have her, whether it's for tradechains, rescuechains, saving villages, saving NPCs, ferrying units or for combat. Her attack and defense are not impressive, but she basically double anything.
Tethys: Dancer.
Saleh (Eirika): Joining in Ch 12, right at the mid of the game, he's your Pent of FE8. "(Pent) - 3" since his bases are exactly Pent's, but -3 in every stat (except for one stat I think, but whatever). So he's a prepromoted Sage with amazing beses, good CON and good weapon ranks. Sadly, Physic is a B Staff, but the first Physic Staff comes around Ch 14, so you'll have some time to level up his Staff rank with the Barrier Staff you get in the Chapter he joins in. His combat performance is outstanding. He can do anything your other mages can at that point in the game. [I originally intendet him to be in Tier A, but I chose to move him up to "low" S-Tier]

**will be done eventually**

I disagree with Ewan's placement but Amelia is the worst, so I can't complain. 

1 hour ago, Kazuya said:

I disagree with Ewan's placement but Amelia is the worst, so I can't complain. 

The main reason I placed him so low is because I felt like he would never catch up with the other units. But thinking back... In Eirika's Chapter you can easily grind him on the stationary Bonewalker and on Ephraim's route there is the arena. And I guess since he's 1-2 Range that would make him easier to train than Amelia... He should probably go up a bit.

46 minutes ago, Mariode said:

The main reason I placed him so low is because I felt like he would never catch up with the other units. But thinking back... In Eirika's Chapter you can easily grind him on the stationary Bonewalker and on Ephraim's route there is the arena. And I guess since he's 1-2 Range that would make him easier to train than Amelia... He should probably go up a bit.

I'm not seeing what would merit Ewan rising when he DOES come in as a trainee over halfway through the game - and I highly doubt he could win against anything in the arena.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I'm not seeing what would merit Ewan rising when he DOES come in as a trainee over halfway through the game - and I highly doubt he could win against anything in the arena.

Ewan constantly won in arenas for me, he is a really great dodge tank. 

1 hour ago, Kazuya said:

Um, no. I call bullshit here when Ewan has a shiny goose egg for defense, and can't dodge reliably enough to win against pretty much anything.

1 hour ago, Kazuya said:

Personal experience isn't a great way to determine units.... but regardless, it doesn't help his case that he comes as a trainee unit. You have to grind him up a bit.

If FE8's arenas work like they do in the other GBA games, then Ewan's stats are actually relatively good for grinding him in there. Enemy stats are based on the player unit's stats, not its level, and since tanky units often face enemies with higher-tier weapons (and without lower stats to compansate), squishy-but-speedy is the preferred stat distribution in order to have a lower death risk. But since the OP states that grinding isn't allowed, this isn't really important either way. ;)

Speaking of the OP, what does

6 hours ago, Mariode said:

Seth is not being (ab)used

mean? I'm pretty sure that a literal Seth solo is not the easiest way to clear the game, but not using him at all is a very big deviation from what I would consider the best use of resources.

Anyway, is Saleh really that good? Keep in mind that Pent can use Warp at base, while Saleh is two whole staff ranks away from it. I'm not sure what a reasonable promotion time for Artur is, but he instantly gets C staves as well and might even have a bit more time to grind it than Saleh.

At the same time, Knoll seems to be a bit underrated. His combat might be pretty horrid, but he can summon disposable bait units and provide some staff utility if you promote him directly at level 10.

I should mention that I haven't played vanilla FE8 in quite a long time, so my memories might be pretty off, and I never really played it with turncounts or effective strategies in mind.

Not sure Tana and Cormag (who I think is noticeably different on Eirika/Eph) should be below Kyle and Forde at all, let alone a tier below. Flying>not flying and particularly Cormag usually has better combat than the cavs anyway. Tana and Cormag are too low in general- worse than Innes(who might also need a route split due to availability) and Eirika route Duessel?

Can't really see Dozla(or Ross)>Garcia- they both have the issue of being footlocked units with slow Spd(although enough to double a lot of things), but Garcia has a notable availability lead where he's one your better combat units.

Colm seems a little low. His combat isn't great but it's pretty similar to Eirika sans Rapier. Being able to Steal the Energy Ring is pretty good and there are some other good stealables (Eph route Speedwing, Guiding Ring) as well as being able to find desert items.

12 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

Colm seems a little low. His combat isn't great but it's pretty similar to Eirika sans Rapier. Being able to Steal the Energy Ring is pretty good and there are some other good stealables (Eph route Speedwing, Guiding Ring) as well as being able to find desert items.

I'm gonna have to agree - Colm in the same tier as Rennac is just wtf.

My thoughts...

7 hours ago, Mariode said:

S-Tier:
Franz
Vanessa
Tethys
Saleh (Erika)

Vanessa is probably better than Franz, she's your only flier for a long time, and while Franz is very very good, Seth's existance definately makes him a little less valuable.

For people wondering about Saleh, his staff rank isn't his main draw imo, it's his incredible combat.  His 1-2 range combat is unrivaled, is fantastic in the desert map, and then his lategame warping (mainly chapter 20 and endgame) is something that Artur can't replicate as a Bishop.

A-Tier:
Duessel (Ephraim)
Arthur
Forde
Kyle
Gerik
Saleh (Ephraim)
Moulder

I've never been impressed by Duessel as a unit, he's very good in Phantom Ship, but outside of that, he's a 6 move unit with iffy combat and great weapon ranks and durability, his speed isn't good enough and other units make better use of speedwings, I firmly believe he isn't even an A tier unit.  Kyle is probably a little better than Forde, when he doubles he's able to kill things, and Forde doesnt even double much more than Kyle in the first place, the only advantage Forde really has is he's a level closer to promotion.  I think Gerik is probably better than the both of them on Eirika Route, his offence is too good to pass up and you really sorely need it in FE8.

Saleh isn't a good unit on Ephraim Route.  He can still kill things, but he misses a bunch of maps and there are only a few more maps that aren't warpskips after he joins, and he can't warp or rescue since he doesn't have enough time to build staff rank.  Moulder could probably drop down a tier as well.  Tana and Eph!Cormag definately belong here in this tier imo.

B-Tier:
Duessel (Eirika)
Innes
Ephraim (Eirika)
Tana
Cormag
Syrene
Lute
Natasha

Duessel isn't a good unit on Eirika's route.  He helps a bit in the desert and honestly might not be valuable enough to be deployed beyond then.  Ephraim crushes him in every stat but defence (he wins strength because of Siegmund's ridiculous power) and even has an extra point of movement.  Innes is useful as a combat unit but might belong lower in the tier, maybe just below Ephraim Route Duessel.  Garcia deserves to be in this tier somewhere, Natasha and Syrene have no buisness being here, Natasha has a hard time getting to promotion since the game is so short and Syrene literally only kills Gorgon eggs.  

C-Tier:
Eirika (Ephraim)
Joshua
Dozla
Ross
Garcia
Gilliam
Ewan

D-Tier:
L'Arachell
Colm
Rennac
Knoll
Myrrh

E-Tier:
Marisa
Neimi
Amelia

The rest of this looks okay (other than Garcia and mayyyybe Joshua moving up a tier), Eirika (Eph) could probably move up to B tier since she has a unique contributions lategame with her weapon and still is around for the first 8 maps.  Myrrh probably should be around where Ewan is, she's fine filler in the last few maps that can help with the final boss and Lyon, and Ewan is definately E tier.  

8 hours ago, Mariode said:

C-Tier:
Eirika (Ephraim)
Joshua
Dozla
Ross
Garcia
Gilliam
Ewan

I'm not sure why you moved him out of E tier, but Ewan most definitely has no business in C tier whatsoever.

The list looks fairly solid to me, aside from a few things already addressed above. For me, Joshua I think should move up to B. While, yes, Swordlock is bad, Joshua has a lot of time to get exp, which lets him become a pretty reliable combat unit with very little investment. I also think Myyrh should move up to C purely because she levels super easily, and if you only deploy her on the last two-ish maps she should have plenty of Dragonstone to use against Lyon, and maybe even have a few uses against the Demon King. That said, she does lack utility and availability -- and not having additional dragonstones hurts her hard. But I think C is fair.

I also think Knoll should move up to C, but I'm a sucker for interesting caster archetypes. I think that mostly because his summons are the best main-game summons possible, they can actually kill things (wasting exp, but in an emergency its nice), but using them to bait out enemies risk-free is super helpful. You can also have him get decent with staves, so I think Knoll has some amazing utility. He's just made of wet tissue paper. 

22 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Um, no. I call bullshit here when Ewan has a shiny goose egg for defense, and can't dodge reliably enough to win against pretty much anything.

Too bad, it happened. Ewan actually started being a really great dodge tank, especially in Lagdou and end game. It is obviously a personal experience BUT it happened in many a playthrough

1 hour ago, Kazuya said:

Too bad, it happened. Ewan actually started being a really great dodge tank, especially in Lagdou and end game. It is p a personal experience BUT it happened in many a playthrough

Pix or it didn't happen. Anyway, him being a good dodgetank later on is not saying much when enemies in SS are pretty pathetic. Also, personal experience isn't a legit argument. Oh, and even if Ewan could consistently succeed in the arena, one, it's only on Ephraim route, and two, grinding isn't allowed.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Ewan's average stats at a given level are not bad at all. In a different context than this tier list (which assumes no grinding, which usually also means no arena, or at least only as much arena as you can fit in without losing turns), Kazuya is completely correct. To put things into perspective: 10/1 Mage!Ewan has 10.15 Spd and 9.5 Lck, which is higher than Eirika's base stats. He loses that advantage, since the trainees all have lower growths than other units, but his avoid is still only like 3 points lower than Eirika's at level 20 (unpromoted). If the player is willing to use the overworld or tower to bring underleveled units on the same level as the rest of his team, Ewan is a perfectly decent character (and a great example that every unit in FE8 is perfectly viable if you put some effort into them); it's just that it doesn't really matter with this tier list's restrictions in place.

On 8.9.2017 at 0:43 AM, General Horace said:

For people wondering about Saleh, his staff rank isn't his main draw imo, it's his incredible combat.  His 1-2 range combat is unrivaled, is fantastic in the desert map, and then his lategame warping (mainly chapter 20 and endgame) is something that Artur can't replicate as a Bishop.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm a bit conditioned to always look at the potential staff utility first when I see a magic user. :D

• Neimi comes up with low level and the according bases but she has her uses and can grow into a promising unit in time. 
  • Colm's combat is pretty mediocre but he's still a thief so automatically not low tier.
  • Duessel (Ephraim) > Duessel (Eirika)
  • The bottom tier units are Marisa, Ewan and Amelia.

There are four different spellings of "Eirika" in this list. Must be a record!

... Seriously I didn't want to say that all the time.

Garcia seems really low. I see him as a comparable to  Lute at low B or maybe put him at the very top of C. He's semi-infamous for his use in drafts, but really, (ephriam route especially) he does a lot for very little investment.

Myrhh- She has  moderate utility on 5 of the 6 maps you can deploy her in (darkling woods qualifies as major, and her use in C17 is the only one where she is *bad*). The tanking siege tomes, offense, and flight  help a lot in different ways. I have no idea why she's so far behind other late units. Probbably deserves middle to low C-tier, below Ross. 

Kyle and Forde should definately be below Moulder/ Saleh (Eir)- They might still be A though.  Kyle above Forde - Forde (average) strength leads to him missing kills on things he doubles at the time that Kyle would get them. Therefore Kyle benefits more from the speed boost of the knight crest more than Forde does imo.

Duessel (eir) and Cormag should switch places.

2 hours ago, ping said:

Ewan's average stats at a given level are not bad at all. In a different context than this tier list (which assumes no grinding, which usually also means no arena, or at least only as much arena as you can fit in without losing turns), Kazuya is completely correct. To put things into perspective: 10/1 Mage!Ewan has 10.15 Spd and 9.5 Lck, which is higher than Eirika's base stats. He loses that advantage, since the trainees all have lower growths than other units, but his avoid is still only like 3 points lower than Eirika's at level 20 (unpromoted). If the player is willing to use the overworld or tower to bring underleveled units on the same level as the rest of his team, Ewan is a perfectly decent character (and a great example that every unit in FE8 is perfectly viable if you put some effort into them); it's just that it doesn't really matter with this tier list's restrictions in place.

Fair enough. The thing is, Ewan got moved out of E tier without any rhyme or reason - just how many of the units in D tier would you argue him over???

@Levant Mir Celestia: None, really. Maybe L'Arachel, unless the mounted staves utility off of 6 Mag is worth more than I think. But that's why I brought up the context - I just wanted to point out that Kazuya's claims aren't out of this world, just not relevant in a non-grinding tierlist.

I'll try to avoid repeating what others have said too much.

Dozla shouldn't be in the same tier as Ross and Garcia, to say nothing of being above them within that tier. By the time you get Dozla either one of them should be as good or better than him, plus they're around for 9 chapters before he can contribute anything.

By the same reasoning, Colm shouldn't be in the same tier as Rennac. He shows up 11 chapters sooner, and by the time Rennac is usable, Colm should be better in combat if you've been deploying him.

Neimi isn't quite bad enough for bottom-tier. Yes she's got a bad class and her stats are poor, but there are some legitimate good points. She joins before 75% of the cast, can promote into a mount, has no competition for her promotional item, and only Innes as competition for Nidhogg. That's got to be enough to be a tier above Marisa.

On the subject of Innes, I wouldn't put him in B-tier. Certainly not Ephraim route Innes, who I'd put in D.

I question Gerik being two tiers above Garcia and Joshua. Garcia joins 8/11 chapters sooner than Gerik, and Joshua 5/8 chapters sooner. While Gerik's base stats are frankly ridiculous for a level 10 mercenary, I don't know if they're enough to carry him from their C-tier to A-tier while also carrying the burden of later availability.

Tana and Cormag should have a much larger gap between them and Syrene, and Cormag should probably be tiered separately for each route. Heck, Myrrh should be above Syrene entirely, as she's far better in the final monster-focused section of the game without monopolizing a Sacred Twin weapon.

How the hell is Garcia worse than Ross? He obviously has better early game than Ross and is actually pretty good Midgame, his speed is low but Garm can fix that problem and he also receives a nice +2 speed from promotion. Ross does gain more Exp but I would rather give those exp to Garcia who doesn't need 10 bonus levels to really contribute to your team. 

And Colm is a bit too low. His thief utility automatically makes him better than a lot of people.

So after reading through all this I did some changes:

• Colm up to C. Honestly, I didn't know what I was thinking when putting him on the same place as Rennac.
  • Ewan down to D. He's a mage and thus can be level up easier than Amelia. Plus, he get's summons/horse (eventually), so he is automatically better than Amelia (who can get a horse too, but leveling her up is awful, and you already have like 4 mounts.
  • Tana and Cormag up to A. Reasons were already provided. More MOV + Cant + Flier. Condidered reanking Cormang separately for Ephraim and Eirika, but it would probably be the same tier anyways, just a few ranks apart, so I decided against it.
  • Myrrh up to C. She's basically a god. A god with 50 uses.
  • Made some switches within tiers.

And most importantly... I fixed the Eirika spelling. Erika, Eirikia and Erikia are now all Eirika.

Some other things I'd like to say:

• Imo, Gerik is a lot better than Garcia. Garcia does a little here and there in ealygame, and he's a passable unit overall. But his stats as a 20/1 hero are still  worse than Geriks stats as a 10/1 Hero (bar strength). Also, if you want him to, Gerik can get a mount. Garcia cannot.
    Joshua is locked to swords and thus 1 range. His promotion gives him +15 crit, and that's all. Even Eirika is better than that. She at least gets a mount and 1 MOV more. Gerik can get any of those: Axes and 1-2 range as a hero, or a mount and 1/2 range with bows or swords. +15 crit is not good enough to make up for it. Joshua is a decent unit, but Gerik is both stronger and more flexible. (The only things a, say, 16/1 Swordmaster Joshua has over a 10/1 Hero Gerik are better skill and speed and +15 crit. At the expense of 1-2 range, better strength, def and res. And Gerik will double almost anything regardless of a few speed points. For me, it's not rewarding enough to train joshua. Trained up, he sure is good, and he can do a lot of stuff, but gerik can do more, without any training.)
  • For me, Franz and Vasessa are probably the same in terms of usefulness, but I just find that the importance of good combat should not be overlooked. Vanessa certainly doesn't suck, but she has difficulties, such as her low CON, which really hampers her damage output and use of the Javelin (though once she gets some speed that problem is not that significant anymore). But she's still frail and while her utility is obviosly her main selling point, combat is still more imortant that utility. Additionally, there are some chapter in whic Vanessa can't contribute at all, mainly indoor chapters such as Ch3 and Ch8. But she is amazing regardless.

All right here's my two cents for what it's worth:

• Vanessa should definitely be above Franz I feel, his combat isn't that much better than hers especially after she promotes, nowhere near enough to mitigate the advantage she has from flight. Also I don't see how Vanessa can't contribute in chapters 3 and 8.
  • I agree with Horace about Duessel, he's nowhere near A/B tier. Ephraim!Duessel is good if you give him the Speedwing I guess but there are better alternatives like Cormag most obviously and Eirika!Duessel is going to kill a few things in the desert and probably nothing else, I'd put him around bottom of C/top of D.
  • Ephraim!Saleh should probably be lower his combat is still good but Artur/Lute have more time to level and outperform him by the time he joins plus he can't really reach Warp until much later if at all.
  • Kyle and Forde I feel might be a bit too high they're usually pretty underlevelled by chapter 9 but they're both Cavaliers/Paladins so they probably should be top of B I guess, not really sure about this one.
  • I think Moulder is too high, I mean he does some healing which is nice but he shouldn't be A tier, especially over the likes of Tana.
  • Innes should be lower I think especially Ephraim!Innes he can make some contributions due to Silver Bow mostly but I don't see him being top of B at all.
  • Lute I feel should be higher although that's probably just because some of the people above her I think should be lower. She's worse than Artur almost for sure but I think she's pretty solid once she gets going.
  • Gilliam I think should be higher, nearer Garcia, sure he's slow and he's a knight but I think he's pretty decent especially after he promotes (Great Knight obviously), although having said that he's going to be made almost entirely redundant by the likes of Vanessa/Franz/Seth/Forde/Kyle etc so maybe it's more warranted where he is. I guess in a vacuum I'd say he should be higher but compared to others probably not.
  • I think there's a pretty big difference between Ephraim!Cormag and Eirika!Cormag to the point where I wouldn't even bother waiting for Eirika!Cormag to show up. At least a tier difference I'd say maybe even more.
  • Syrene is missing from the list.