Why do people say "Thank you" when their t-shirt gets complimented?

Ronnie

Every time I hear someone say "nice shirt" the other person replies "thank you." But why? They didn't make the t-shirt, they just bought it. Are they thanking them for acknowledging their ability to purchase a cool looking shirt?

Discuss~

Maybe you acknowledging that they have a taste that is considered good/great/wonderful in the eyes of the compliment-er ? Building up a state of worth while purchases in a long line of purchases that every human being makes in the span of a 24 hour period? A person acknowledging that what you purchased was something that would be seen as a cool/lovely/nice/badass purchase could be the difference between self-worth and self-loathing?

Or maybe I don't know anything and should just go back to being a pointless Yu-Gi-Oh card?

What if it means that the one giving the compliment likes the design of the one wearing it but doesn't really mean much beyond that.

Or maybe it's a pity compliment like when someone is having a crappy day and someone is trying to cheer the other person up by saying "I like your shirt" even though they may not like it.

It's a compliment either way so I don't see it as a bad thing.

Well I say that because I want to be nice and can't really come up with anything better to say to people who say they like my shirts.  I get lots of complements on my shirts from people I don't know and what am I supposed to say in return?  I will tell people where I bought my shirt if they ask and that has happened many times.

Edited by EricaofRenais

What else would they answer?

i legitimately tend to answer people with thank you when it's not necessarily necessary (and also good morning/good afternoon/good night) just because it's less awkward than trying to come up with something else to say.

Edited by Nobody

I wondered about that before too and sometimes I respond with "I'm glad you think so" and/or "I agree" or something, but at the same time I also figured it's probably out of reflex and also because that would imply that someone thinks you have good taste

but because I was also a nerd who thought about it too much, I tend to give mixed responses, sometimes with the simple and easy "thanks!" and sometimes just various other ways to show that I'm grateful for/acknowledge the comment

but yeah regardless, I don't think there's much thought that's needed to go into it \o/ Just that you can if you wanna for funsies

now if they're complimenting the skirt I sewed myself, on the other hand...

Edited by Freohr Datia

Finally, someone else who questions this! I thought I was the only one!

Like, whenever I put on clothes, I just grab the first thing I see. So if someone says "You look nice," I have no idea what to say. I could say "Thank you!" but that makes it seem like I put thought into what I wear. When they compliment my shirt, they're not complementing my style; they're complimenting my ability to move my muscles in such a way as to put on clothes. So I can't take the compliment by saying "Thank you;" that would be like taking credit for something I didn't do.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:14 AM, buttmuncher.ops said:

when people say "nice shirt" they really mean "nice body"

i respond with "you're welcome"

where do you come up with this crap?

Teach me your ways

I do merch design on the side, so if someone compliments my shirt, there's a chance they're complimenting something I actually designed ;) 

But mostly 'cause it's nice and I always thank people for being nice to me ♡♡

lol this is some rly dumb shit

obviously theyre saying they like the way youre dressed

theyre saying "good taste in picking out this cool shirt"

im on the spectrum, completely socially inept, and even i know this

11 hours ago, claire said:

lol this is some rly dumb shit

obviously theyre saying they like the way youre dressed

theyre saying "good taste in picking out this cool shirt"

im on the spectrum, completely socially inept, and even i know this

could you be any more rude?