Current Awakening Characters Gameplay Video:

Folt

17 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well, I won't actually say that the Corrin-central thing for any of the characters weren't an issue. But a bit on Camilla's case, this personality of hers can be understood if you remember that Camilla is one of the survivors of the concubine wars. Being forced to be used by her mother to kill her own siblings, or survive against others. Camilla's mental state can be very well understood. Her desire to protect what's left of her family is her attempt to protect what's left of her sanity. As for Hinoka, despite knowing why she's obsessed with Corrin, can you tell me anything about her that isn't about Corrin? Like can her character truly function that well into the story without Corrin? She has her moments, sure, but throughout the story, its always been about Corrin.

Okay, so I don't want to blow this one out too much, but... well the problem here is that most of what we know about the characters is only construed from bits and pieces in their supports and is never actually properly dealt with in their support. Camilla (at least in the Japanese version i played) is not a family oriented person. She is very much focused on Corrin/her lover only, to the point where she talks about killing Corrin and herself when faced with being left, and also abandons her family entirely when she marries (as opposed to the fix-fic that is her adopting 10+ orphans). What is striking though that this never properly addressed or expanded upon. The game briefly alludes to it being unhealthy, but mostly plays it for fanservice. It's very much meant to be Camilla's appeal.

You can extrapolate a lot about the characters from supports and conversation bits. For exampel, I think Hinoka suffers from a form anxiety, just as much as her younger siblings do. She had problems with accepting Mikoto and deeply grieved for her biological mother. She and Ryouma get along very well and act relaxed and unguarded around the other in a way that they don't with their other siblings. She is a tomboy in a society that doesn't appreciate one. All of these things are from the supports and go unadressed in the story, which is a mark of poor writing.

In the end, Fates writing got very lazy in places and left a lot of people scrambling for the bits and pieces in the support to make the characters more complete. I admit that the interesting bits in Camilla's character are more apparent than in Hinoka's, but you can't honestly argue that Camilla was ever a hree-dimensional story character when you have to dig through 3+ supports to make any sense of her beyond "Corrin".

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic