Are there Souls-like games for Switch?

omglmaowtf

With Rockstar confirming LA Noire for Switch, & maybe even a Fallout 4 GOTY port, Nintendo latest device is no longer 'Sidescrolling platformers, Mario Kart, & Zelda only'

But what about Souls-like games, like Nioh or Code Vein? Neither From Software's Souls games or The Surge have announced Switch versions for future releases

Will the closest thing a Nintendo Switch player ever get to play to a Souls-like be BotW? My fave is Bloodbourne with its dark, gothic atmosphere(shame its ps4 only) but the dark-and-gothic game types haven't been seen on a Nintendo console since Capcom stopping bringing on RE ports & Konami ceased making Castlevania games

From Software was confirmed to be working on the Switch as a third party developer and there was a rumour that the Dark Souls trilogy would be released in some capacity on the Switch.

But nothing regarding any Souls games on Nintendo consoles has been confirmed yet.

Edited by Tryhard

I heard Ben Yahtzee compare Hollow Knight (confirmed for Switch) to Dark Souls, but it looks more like a Metroidvania to me. Unless Dark Souls is like Metroidvania. (I haven't played Dark Souls.)

the N. Sane Trilogy was on ps4 sweaty

Tbh I'm not sure what would really define something as "Dark Souls-like". That seems to be its own type of game at least from what I've heard/seen of it.

33 minutes ago, Zera said:

I heard Ben Yahtzee compare Hollow Knight (confirmed for Switch) to Dark Souls, but it looks more like a Metroidvania to me. Unless Dark Souls is like Metroidvania. (I haven't played Dark Souls.)

dark souls is like a metroidvania in 3d but that's not all of why people draw comparisons with it for hollow knight

but yeah hollow knight's a good one

A Salt and Sanctuary developer once tweeted out that he's looking into bringing the game to switch. But that was three months ago, and it could be a long time before we hear about it again. Very Dark Souls on the surface with its interface and mechanics, but in a side scrolling format. Plus the level up system is more akin to Final Fantasy 10's Sphere Grid system. I'd count it though.

21 hours ago, Zera said:

That makes no sense. It feels and plays like a Metroidvania, not Dark Souls (which, other than "revisiting certain parts of the game if you want", has nothing to do with Metroidvanias). Compare to Salt & Sanctuary, which feels like a Souls game, whereas Hollow Knight is more like a classical platformer where you acquire new skills as you beat bosses and explore bigger parts of the map each time you do so.

also I heard that Cuphead is also a Souls game

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

That makes no sense. It feels and plays like a Metroidvania, not Dark Souls (which, other than "revisiting certain parts of the game if you want", has nothing to do with Metroidvanias). Compare to Salt & Sanctuary, which feels like a Souls game, whereas Hollow Knight is more like a classical platformer where you acquire new skills as you beat bosses and explore bigger parts of the map each time you do so.

I understand the comparisons to Metroidvanias. In the Souls games, it's not just going back to old areas, it's going back to old areas with new items so you can find new areas/secrets, which is pretty core to what makes a Metroidvania.

Obviously there's basically no platforming, but there's something at the core of Metroidvanias and Souls games that is similar. They have somewhat similar design philosophies.

That said, no. There's no Souls-like games on the Switch yet.

3 hours ago, Rapier said:

in hollow knight you:

-collect currency by killing enemies, which you lose upon death and must find on the spot you died to regain

-have a limited healing system that punishes you for picking the spots you heal in poorly

-have a carefully crafted lore backstory that's scattered throughout the world and requires you to piece it together

-checkpoints that essentially work like bonfires

-and more loosely, it captures a very similar aesthetic, with a dark uncaring and decaying world that sprawls menacingly

it obviously has a lot of design elements that are clearly influenced by dark souls, not to mention there are some pretty unsubtle references to the souls series in the game. salt & sanctuary is also a metroidvania. that doesn't mean it isn't heavily derivative of dark souls.

Edited by fuccboi

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, gropwel said:

Would you be interested to see this title on the Switch? It's called Hellpoint:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/628680/Hellpoint_Demo/

It's got split screen! And we think of many exclusive Switch features. We're working hard to make it happen and looking to gauge interest in the community.

Thanks!

Game looks interesting, man. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it for a Steam release so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Hoping that the game gets enough interest for you to be able to port it too.

Edited by Tryhard