I've been thinking about this for awhile as I have a love hate relationship with these, which has now changed to content with my analysis. Mainly due to from my knowledge no confirmed chance to get these units again, and how hard it is to summon them as f2p when you go for other banners. For example, I spent most of my orbs on Nohrian Summer and I got Celica instead of Summer Leo, who I could get on any other banner. My luck seems better on other banners, as I got 2 5 stars from Sacred Stones 1st time and 2 5 stars from Brave Heroes 1st time, one being Brave Lyn, my first alternate 5 star other than free Brave Lucina. You could argue I should save my orbs more, which now I may start doing after Brave heroes with my %4 rate. I'm going to go over the alternate units to see what ones are more replaceable than others. Heroes of the same weapon and movement type will be compared, so I wont be comparing Brave Lyn to Takumi or Bridal Cordelia. Fan service done right, at least maybe:

Spring Festival:
#2 Spring Chrom can hold his own in Atk and Def, but Raven is a great Brave Axe user with Hawkeye Chrom's resistant counterpart.
#3 Spring Lucina is just a more defensive blue mage which takes away from her Atk but has great Spd. Linde is better in most cases and Delthea is great support.
#4 Spring Xander has the highest Def of the lance horseman but lowest Atk. Great debuffer, buffer and using Bonfire but Clive is also defensive and Mathilda is the resistant counterpart.
#1 Spring Camilla is unrivaled on flier emblem being one of two magic users on a pegasus. Due to this she's almost mandatory to respond to defensive units.

Bridal Blessings:
#4 Bridal Caeda is a slightly better Spring Lucina with 1 more Spd and 5 more Res. Go Delthea/Linde.
#2 Bridal Lyn is one of the more versatile healers, stopping counter attacks with Dazzling Staff and Candlelight. Only bested by horse healers on horse emblem.
#3 Bridal Charlotte is a great for a infantry lance on the offensive, but Sharena is only 4 less Atk.
#1 Bridal Cordelia was considered the best archer before Brave Lyn (though that doesn't matter as they aren't the same movement type), but Innes is a better mage killer with 9 more Res 2 less Atk and 1 less Spd and works fine. 

Ylissean Summer:
#3 Summer Robin (F) is Sharena with 7 more Res but 8 less HP. EIther work depending on what a team lacks.
#1 Summer Tiki is more defensive and resistant Spring Chrom. Another great choice like him.
#2 Summer Gaius is a slightly better Setsuna with 2 more Atk so good Quad.
#4 Summer Frederick is similar to other debuffers but with Seal Atk Spd with the 2nd highest Atk of the Ninjas. Won't enjoy a counter like Felicia or Saizo and Kagero is used a lot anyways.

Nohrian Summer:
#2 Summer Xander is better than Summer Tiki in HP and Def but bad Res. Barst is his counterpart, though infantry pulse makes him very useful.
#3 Summer Leo is similar to Sanaki and Katarina, though Katarina has better Spd. Leo can run Quick Riposte though and is the unit I wish I got ;-;.
#4 Summer Elise is the better variant of Nino with Gronblade (same Atk/Spd as Delthea, just not a better weapon to start with).
#1 Summer Corrin is a must for flier emblem with or without Spring Camilla, or just Spring Camilla. Can't be compared to anyone else sadly. Hoshidan Summer with Staff Male Corrin someday?

#3 Brave Lucina is a better Sharena with better buffing and Atk/Spd. Slightly less bulky.
#4 Brave Roy is closest to Cain and Seth with slightly less bulk for more Atk/Spd. Eldigan and Xander are the Def variants with less Spd.
#1 Brave Lyn is the only horse archer so similar to the flying mages is not comparable. Closest thing is Bridal Cordelia, then Innes.
#2 Brave Ike is in the end the better Bartre and somewhat the opposite of Anna.

So far, only Spring Camilla, Summer Corrin and Brave Lyn are unrivaled. Of course some of these units come with specific new skills but that doesn't mean their available versions are truly inferior. All units have their uses, even Wyrs... I hope this review eases the minds of those who missed out on these units like me or didn't get their +10 merged or optimal IV's. Leave your thoughts in the comments, and happy summoning!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts:

- A melee Flier team with only Goads is, apparently, still busted. However, Spring Camilla and Summer Corrin both require Hinoka's Hone Fliers to truly be the centerpieces of Flier Emblem.

- Innes isn't exactly a better mage killer, just a cheaper one. Firesweep Cancel Affinity is Bridelia's best set, and her better offensive statline makes her better at it than Innes. Of course, Innes can be a dedicated mage baiter much much better.

- Summer Elise isn't better than Nino at all. The two are fairly on par, and arguably Nino is the better one. Elise has higher Atk, but at the cost of 2 Spd, when Spd is extremely important for fast Blade mages. A buffed Blade user is almost always in overkill territory, which means the higher Atk is moot, but Elise will be doubling less, reducing her kills.

- Brave Roy is the single best Player Phase Cav Sword unit in the game right now. Literally, if you have him, Seth and Cain lose their purpose for existing.

1 hour ago, Pixile said:

#3 Bridal Charlotte is a great for a infantry lance on the offensive, but Sharena is only 4 less Atk.

That +4 Atk is a massive difference when she's basically entitled to the Brave Lance. That's her sellout. She's basically Infantry Effie, running with one of the highest Atk in the game. +Atk is a monster (though I got screwed with -Atk, lol).

Actually, a 4 Atk difference is still rather significant even with average weapons. Charlotte could be running Killer to equal Sharena in that aspect, but then she'd also have the benefit of faster specials.

Edited by Soul~!

Not really sure about Nohrian summer since I think all units are not spectacular in any way.  However, Summer Gaius is much better than any of the others in Ylissean Summer.  You're correct that he is a better Setsuna, but he's  MUCH better than Setsuna. First off, he has 2 more attack which isn't much but with a brave weapon it's essentially 4 more attack which is significant with brave weapons b/c they have low MT and need all the help they can get.  More importantly he specializes in resistance unlike Setsuna which allows him to bait mages which Setsuna cannot do effectively because she falls into the category of low hp and split def/res which makes her weak to everything.  A +atk Gaius is only 2 points away from a regular Cordelia but has 2 more speed making them pretty much on par with one another (unless cordelia has favorable nature).  If Bride!Cordelia is S+ tier, Gaius is not far behind.

And yea, Spring Camilla is the best green mage.  She should be built as a Raven user in my opinion, not a blade user.  Yes, blade will do more damage but raven will make use of her 30 defense to defend against enemies a lot better and there's summer Corrin who is built for blade tomes so if you're going to use one - use Corrin, not Camilla.  I use her to bait blues while baiting and killing all nocolors.  Works really well, better than a blade tome would even if I had a flier team, gotta get the units to you somehow.

I think CYL!Lucina is closer to Ephraim, though two key differences - higher speed makes her a better duelest and her buff is better but applies to infantry only.  Sharena is a debuffer, Lucina/Ephraim are buffers.  Personally, I think she totally outclasses Ephraim unless you're using a blade tomes like crazy.

Brave Roy may be the best red cavalry unit, but he's still pretty lackluster when you compare him to the other units.  A lot of people were freaking out about built in heavy blade, but its simply worse than a killer effect that so many other units have.  Not saying his weapon is bad, but there are a lot better weapons around, especially when you include the new units.  The other issue is he is not really built to build up special cooldown counts.  He isn't quite a glass cannon, but he's defenitly not tanky in any way which is what you want fora special builder (think CYL Ike).  His weapon just doesn't make sense for him, but it's still great.  His stats are great and 16mt really helps him though.

Lyn's bow is great because it has 14mt and gives +3 speed.  Notice I didn't say anything about countering blade tomes, because thats ONLY useful in arena defense.  I have never ran into a properly buffed blade mage that I couldn't just run away from for a turn and watch the AI stupidly move their units out of range.  I don't understand why everyone freaks out about being able to counter metas when the AI doesn't use the metas, only players.  All that means is (s)he's good for arena defense.  
Likewise, Beorc's is not a great skill unless you're doing arena defense.  I suggest people replace it with something else considering only 90% of the battles you do day-to-day won't have any movement emblems and of the ones that do, another 90% of the time the AI doesn't use it properly.  

Edited by Lushen

20 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Brave Roy may be the best red cavalry unit, but he's still pretty lackluster when you compare him to the other units.  A lot of people were freaking out about built in heavy blade, but its simply worse than a killer effect that so many other units have.  Not saying his weapon is bad, but there are a lot better weapons around, especially when you include the new units.  The other issue is he is not really built to build up special cooldown counts.  He isn't quite a glass cannon, but he's defenitly not tanky in any way which is what you want fora special builder (think CYL Ike).  His weapon just doesn't make sense for him, but it's still great.  His stats are great and 16mt really helps him though.

I think you're underestimating Brave!Roy a bit. You seem to be forgetting that, aside from Blazing Durandal having having Heavy Blade 3 built-in, it also has Atk 3 built-in as well. This basically means that Brave!Roy has a 19 Mt weapon. Other units can get a 19 Mt weapon by equipping Atk 3 (and having a 16 Mt weapon), but that means they won't be able to use the A-Slot for something else. Brave!Roy doesn't have that issue. He can basically run Atk 3, Heavy Blade 3, and another good A-Skill (such as Death Blow 3 or Distant Counter) at the same time, which is something not many, if any, units can say.

There's also the fact that if Roy has enough speed, and assuming both Roy and the enemy can take a hit, he can activate Galeforce in one round of combat, which, again, is something not many units are capable of doing. Having Quickened Pulse helps.

55 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Not really sure about Nohrian summer since I think all units are not spectacular in any way.  However, Summer Gaius is much better than any of the others in Ylissean Summer.  You're correct that he is a better Setsuna, but he's  MUCH better than Setsuna. First off, he has 2 more attack which isn't much but with a brave weapon it's essentially 4 more attack which is significant with brave weapons b/c they have low MT and need all the help they can get.  More importantly he specializes in resistance unlike Setsuna which allows him to bait mages which Setsuna cannot do effectively because she falls into the category of low hp and split def/res which makes her weak to everything.  A +atk Gaius is only 2 points away from a regular Cordelia but has 2 more speed making them pretty much on par with one another (unless cordelia has favorable nature).  If Bride!Cordelia is S+ tier, Gaius is not far behind.

And yea, Spring Camilla is the best green mage.  She should be built as a Raven user in my opinion, not a blade user.  Yes, blade will do more damage but raven will make use of her 30 defense to defend against enemies a lot better and there's summer Corrin who is built for blade tomes so if you're going to use one - use Corrin, not Camilla.  I use her to bait blues while baiting and killing all nocolors.  Works really well, better than a blade tome would even if I had a flier team, gotta get the units to you somehow.

I think CYL!Lucina is closer to Ephraim, though two key differences - higher speed makes her a better duelest and her buff is better but applies to infantry only.  Sharena is a debuffer, Lucina/Ephraim are buffers.  Personally, I think she totally outclasses Ephraim unless you're using a blade tomes like crazy.

Lyn's bow is great because it has 14mt and gives +3 speed.  Notice I didn't say anything about countering blade tomes, because thats ONLY useful in arena defense.  I have never ran into a properly buffed blade mage that I couldn't just run away from for a turn and watch the AI stupidly move their units out of range.  I don't understand why everyone freaks out about being able to counter metas when the AI doesn't use the metas, only players.  All that means is (s)he's good for arena defense.  
Likewise, Beorc's is not a great skill unless you're doing arena defense.  I suggest people replace it with something else considering only 90% of the battles you do day-to-day won't have any movement emblems and of the ones that do, another 90% of the time the AI doesn't use it properly.  

Slight correction, Lucina's weapon's buffs are physical weapons only, not class restrictive, and even then the drive speed still applies.

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think you're underestimating Brave!Roy a bit. You seem to be forgetting that, aside from Blazing Durandal having having Heavy Blade 3 built-in, it also has Atk 3 built-in as well. This basically means that Brave!Roy has a 19 Mt weapon. Other units can get a 19 Mt weapon by equipping Atk 3 (and having a 16 Mt weapon), but that means they won't be able to use the A-Slot for something else. Brave!Roy doesn't have that issue. He can basically run Atk 3, Heavy Blade 3, and another good A-Skill (such as Death Blow 3 or Distant Counter) at the same time, which is something not many, if any, units can say.

There's also the fact that if Roy has enough speed, and assuming both Roy and the enemy can take a hit, he can activate Galeforce in one round of combat, which, again, is something not many units are capable of doing. Having Quickened Pulse helps.

You're making me feel bad that my Roy is -atk.

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

You're making me feel bad that my Roy is -atk.

Welp. I actually don't know what Brave!Roy's ideal IVs would be but even with -Atk, Brave!Roy's atk stat is still scary, and that's not counting his other abilities i mentioned.

Spoiler

I actually don't have to worry about my Brave!Roy's IVs since he was my free choice summon, so his IVs are neutral.

3 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Slight correction, Lucina's weapon's buffs are physical weapons only, not class restrictive, and even then the drive speed still applies.

Yes, when I said infantry for some reason I was thinking melee.  Infantry to me always sounds like melee units, but obviously that's not the definition, my mistake.

2 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

- A melee Flier team with only Goads is, apparently, still busted. However, Spring Camilla and Summer Corrin both require Hinoka's Hone Fliers to truly be the centerpieces of Flier Emblem.

Summer Corrin on a Goad Team is still really strong, and doesn't suffer from buff negation or reversal (which is, in fact, the reason I happily abandoned my search for extra Hinokas and just built one such Goad Team). This actually makes her natural Sealife Tome a very appealing weapon choice.

I'll agree that the coverage is less ridiculous, but it's still good. Edit: Actually...it's not even that much less ridiculous, the caveat being you need 2 Goad stacks for it.

Edited by LordFrigid

1 hour ago, Lushen said:

If anything, I'd put him around the single most underrated unit and Ike as overrated. It doesn't take much but a *4 Lilina to oneshot Ike. Roy, on the other hand, can abuse the same Cavalry buffs Lyn does, as well as having a 19-Mt legendary with built-in Heavy Blade. Emphasis on "built-in". The fact that it comes stapled to the thing means it can free up his A-slot for any combat-buff skill, wheather it'd be L&D or Darting Blow (which is really easy to get him to mid 50's Atk with the Hone) so he can do stuff like viable turn 1 Galeforce + Dancer or use that extra turn to get someone out of the way with, say, Reposition.

Edited by Soul~!

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

- Brave Roy is the single best Player Phase Cav Sword unit in the game right now. Literally, if you have him, Seth and Cain lose their purpose for existing.

I've got beef with this. The stat discrepancies between these three are small enough that it's not going to matter. The only thing truly unique about Roy is Blazing Durandal which, while extremely useful, isn't game changing, and suffers from vulnerabilities that a Brave Sword doesn't.

Brave Roy is fucking stupid

Thats all

But seriously, Brave Roy effectively have Lucina's Speed AND Chrom's ATK. Thats just about everything that needs to be said about him but the fact that he bullshits around Brave Ike and Brave Lyn with Galeforce is something else. Best player phase Sword cav nothing. He's can easilly argue for the best player phase cav overall, stomping even Blade Mages

Edited by JSND

20 minutes ago, Johann said:

I've got beef with this. The stat discrepancies between these three are small enough that it's not going to matter. The only thing truly unique about Roy is Blazing Durandal which, while extremely useful, isn't game changing, and suffers from vulnerabilities that a Brave Sword doesn't.

Well, when Roy has 32/34 over Cain's 32/32, he's simply better. There's nothing stopping you from taking away Blazing Durandal for a Brave Sword, and Roy is still going to be better with that set than Cain because of his better spread. And if you keep B. Durandal, he can just sweep half a map with Galeforce.

Roy existing doesn't make Cain worse, and Cain has the edge in ease of access, being a 4*. But if you have both, why run Cain?

37 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

If anything, I'd put him around the single most underrated unit and Ike as overrated. It doesn't take much but a *4 Lilina to oneshot Ike. Roy, on the other hand, can abuse the same Cavalry buffs Lyn does, as well as having a 19-Mt legendary with built-in Heavy Blade. Emphasis on "built-in". The fact that it comes stapled to the thing means it can free up his A-slot for any combat-buff skill, wheather it'd be L&D or Darting Blow (which is really easy to get him to mid 50's Atk with the Hone) so he can do stuff like viable turn 1 Galeforce + Dancer or use that extra turn to get someone out of the way with, say, Reposition.

I mean yea Lilina can kill CYL Ike but she has color advantage, magic damage on a low res unit, and high atk low speed which negate's the advantage Urvan gives.  We could mention that Reinhardt is going to destroy Roy who is significantly more common than Lilina.  The perfect counter unit being able to kill a unit isn't really evidence for being a bad unit.  I'll also point out

Spoiler

x2st50jqi2kz.png

Now obviously this took him like 2 hours and it's not the best team in the world, being only one unit.  But it does prove that not a lot of units counter CYL Ike.

I don't think Roy is bad.  I think a lot of the times people say Roy is the worst people don't think about how being the worst God is still a good thing.  I don't think he's underrated, I think he's just not on the same level as the others.  

Edited by Lushen

20 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Why.

He have so much power he actually had a chance to ORKO some Brave Ike THROUGH Urvan after Goad. Supported Goad actually allows him to ORKO Steady Stance Urvan Ike. Granted he's not special for this since technically speaking Chrom have higher power than Roy, but Chrom did not have 3 mov and Lucina speed

With QP, he had 4 CD Galeforce basically guaranteeing proc if he can get 2 hits in, and a guaranteed Galeforce on a neutral doubling trade. This is WAY better than any other CD reduction for Galeforce purpose

If your opponent is Bulkier, he use 90% of them as a set up fodder for Galeforce

If your opponent is squishy, Roy struggles a bit if only because you need Dancer to activate Galeforce. After that he proceeds to one man 3KO or 2KO which basically won you the game at that point
If your opponent Blue is Reinhardt he's a set up fodder for Galeforce.

The only buff cleaner in the game dies to him in one hit it or is named Brave Ike, which (meme alert) as terrible as Hector most of the time with Brave Roy around

Best player phase cav sword nothing. He could easilly compete with BLyn and Reinhardt just because of how good Heavy Blade Galeforce on a top end offensive specs with 3 movement is as a combo. Previous iteration of Galeforce cheese only had 2 movement and they had gimped attack. For comparison:

Minerva have 31

Cordelia have 35

Valter have 34

Roy have up to 40

Edited by JSND

4 minutes ago, Lushen said:

I mean yea Lilina can kill CYL Ike but she has color advantage, magic damage on a low res unit, and high atk low speed which negate's the advantage Urvan gives.  We could mention that Reinhardt is going to destroy Roy who is significantly more common than Lilina.  The perfect counter unit being able to kill a unit isn't really evidence for being a bad unit.  I'll also point out

Hide contents

x2st50jqi2kz.png

Now obviously this took him like 2 hours and it's not the best team in the world, being only one unit.  But it does prove that not a lot of units counter CYL Ike.

I don't think Roy is bad.  I think a lot of the times people say Roy is the worst people don't think about how being the worst God is still a good thing.  I don't think he's underrated, I think he's just not on the same level as the others.  

I know assuming a hard counter wasn't the best of the best, but I think people are overstimating him. To put him above Roy, even? Maybe that was initial favouritism, on people's behalf.

And I've seen that just yesterday. It's a fun little feat, but it's also worth mentioning he hardly ran to any Reds that would hard counter. Ironically, from what I've seen, he was facing Armour Emblem on the last stage. So much for Tier 20's competitive value. :p

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Well, when Roy has 32/34 over Cain's 32/32, he's simply better. There's nothing stopping you from taking away Blazing Durandal for a Brave Sword, and Roy is still going to be better with that set than Cain because of his better spread. And if you keep B. Durandal, he can just sweep half a map with Galeforce.

Roy existing doesn't make Cain worse, and Cain has the edge in ease of access, being a 4*. But if you have both, why run Cain?

Cain because he's a ham. But in all honesty, they both have the same advantages and weaknesses over the same enemies. It barely matters since they're going to kill the same things, with the discrepancies coming more from the skills you're assigning them than their stats. Both could even use Galeforce with a Brave Sword if you really wanted, even without Heavy Blade.

If I pulled a Brave Roy, I'd have to resist feeding him to Frederick for a far superior Galeforce user. I'm holding out for a regular Lyn for that, though.

Also not sure why Cain of all things is used as comparison

Cain have 32/32 offensive specs. If you put everything else in, he caps at 46/32 with non Brave Build, 40/32 with Brave set

Roy have 51/34

They have 5/2 difference. Takumi and BCordelia have a mere 3/2 difference and their power level is like worlds apart. Roy vs Cain have that much of a different and 1 extra turn coming from Heavy Blade Galeforce. Galeforce Cain have like 5-10 less ATK than Roy(killer QP/HB Killer)

Edited by JSND

24 minutes ago, Johann said:

Cain because he's a ham. But in all honesty, they both have the same advantages and weaknesses over the same enemies. It barely matters since they're going to kill the same things, with the discrepancies coming more from the skills you're assigning them than their stats. Both could even use Galeforce with a Brave Sword if you really wanted, even without Heavy Blade.

If I pulled a Brave Roy, I'd have to resist feeding him to Frederick for a far superior Galeforce user. I'm holding out for a regular Lyn for that, though.

It's okay if you like Cain and Fred more than Roy, and want to use them. But no way in hell is Swift Sparrow Roy killing two people in one turn worse than those two. Fred can't even proc Galeforce in one turn because of his shit Spd ruining quads, and Cain just BARELY has a shot.

56 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

I know assuming a hard counter wasn't the best of the best, but I think people are overstimating him. To put him above Roy, even? Maybe that was initial favouritism, on people's behalf.

And I've seen that just yesterday. It's a fun little feat, but it's also worth mentioning he hardly ran to any Reds that would hard counter. Ironically, from what I've seen, he was facing Armour Emblem on the last stage. So much for Tier 20's competitive value. :p

Brave Ike was actually rated fairly poorly once his stats came out, especially from hype backlash. It was only after people figured out a set that he can abuse that he rose a bit in standings.

Also, Armor Emblem isn't actually weak. Some people up on top who run Flier Emblem are forced to switch Cherche back to Hammer just to have an easier time cracking Armor Emblem.

23 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Brave Ike was actually rated fairly poorly once his stats came out, especially from hype backlash. It was only after people figured out a set that he can abuse that he rose a bit in standings.

Also, Armor Emblem isn't actually weak. Some people up on top who run Flier Emblem are forced to switch Cherche back to Hammer just to have an easier time cracking Armor Emblem.

Armor Emblem is funny since apparently they scales way better with the merges(since Merge technically gave 2 defensive stats to 1 Offense)

And Brave usually had poor Armor match up to begin with

1 minute ago, JSND said:

Armor Emblem is funny since apparently they scales way better with the merges(since Merge technically gave 2 defensive stats to 1 Offense)

And Brave usually had poor Armor match up to begin with

It's only going to get worse once Black Knight comes out with DC Alondite and the whales put Steady Breath on him.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's only going to get worse once Black Knight comes out with DC Alondite and the whales put Steady Breath on him.

But Black Knight is already in the game

were talking about Camus right