The Last Promise 07x

Sardek

I was playing through The Last Promise (FE7 hack) and it didn't take me to map 07x when I properly fulfilled the conditions.  I googled about and an LPer said that there was an issue where going into each of the villages was supposed to set a flag that it had been visited, but one of them didn't do so, which made the condition impossible to fulfill.  For his LP, he said he edited the value so that it would send him to 07x as it was supposed to.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to contact the LPer and when I emailed the hack's creator asking if he'd help me figure out how to edit it, he said he'd been out of the scene for too long and probably couldn't help me.  I've got the rom open in a hex editor and there's a few places that reference 07x.

According to Chapter Data Editor, 0x083B8C60 is the offset where the map itself is located in FE7 and sure enough, it's there in the hack as well.  The only other places 07x appear are in the 0x083B81A0-0x083B8210 blocks where they show as MT07x_SOL _ARC _YOU _SAN and _BEARD.  Just past that is MT07_SHA _SOL _ARC _YOU _SAN _HINTZ.  I'm not sure what those are, although in a completely uneducated guess, maybe that's where the flags are that I need to deal with?  They all have 3-4 00 trailing them before the next one.

Anyways, tl;dr: I have no experience romhacking whatsoever, but I'm familiar enough with a hex editor to get out of my own way.  Any idea how to fix this, or at least hack it up so that it force sends me to 07x after 07 and I can continue my playthrough?  Also noteworthy: I have a savestate from visual boy advance just before I clear the map, if that's easier (although having opened it up in the hex editor, I wouldn't be able to hazard a guess how it would be easier.  But I am a complete amateur.)

if you can figure out what the chapter number of 7x is (shouldn't be too hard as it's probably the same as vanilla FE7) then you can use the event assembler to disassemble the events of chapter 7, then find the MNCH command that would take you to chapter 8 and change it to it takes you to 7x

Alright, I opened the Event Assembler and FE07 Nightmare data.  The chapter7.nmm file had an offset towards the top of it, 0xCA13A0, which I put into the event assembler using whole chapter mode.  Looks like I found a chapter, since it succeeded where 3B8C60 and 3B81A0 failed (the offsets I mentioned in my previous post).

Alright, reading from Event Assembler Language.txt, I found a block that confirms this is the right chapter.  IFTU 0x13 18 means "if turn 18 hasn't passed", which is one of the conditions to go to 7x.  Following it are 6 IFET conditionals with eventIDs.  So I just have to figure out which eventID is not properly setting and just set it manually at the top of the map.  Looks like it's 0x22.  For now, I just put ENUT 0x22 (and the other 5 for good measure) at the top of the ending scene bracket and assembled it into the ROM.  Seems like it did the trick.  Loaded my save state at the end of the map and completed it, and it took me to the gaiden map as appropriate.  Thanks for the nudge in the right direction, Agro.

EDIT: That said, now that I have a scripting language in my hands, I figure I should fix the bug in the map for future playthroughs and make it work exactly as intended.  Glad it all worked out!

Edited by Sardek

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal with it is.  I'm pretty sure I got it off romhacking.net rather than feshrine.net, so maybe that's what happened.  It said it was v2.1 though, so I don't know.  Either way, I'm now decently familiar with the scripting language the game uses, so I might use it as a springboard to start actually learning the asm side of romhacking.  I figure if I start editing things and need asm in addition to the basic tools, it'll be the impetus I need to figure it out, like how this bug was what I needed to figure out the editing tools available.

EDIT: For timing information, I downloaded it like 48 hours ago, and I'm sure the file hasn't changed for literally years.  *shrug*

Edited by Sardek

Earlier versions of EA had some of the IF commands reversed by accident which was fixed in later editions. So we had a lot of dodgy events in those days. By the way, this is only the user-made event language, not assembly.

1 hour ago, Agro said:

Earlier versions of EA had some of the IF commands reversed by accident which was fixed in later editions. So we had a lot of dodgy events in those days. By the way, this is only the user-made event language, not assembly.

I suppose I wasn't clear in my speech.  I was saying that now that I understand the basic scripting stuff and the various editors, I can make a hack if I want to with just that.  Thing is, it's not going to be particularly interesting except as a vessel to tell a story unless it's got some asm editing to spice things up.  In other words, I think I should start working on something and use the fact that I have an actual project in the works to spur me to learn the asm side of things.

3 hours ago, Sardek said:

I suppose I wasn't clear in my speech.  I was saying that now that I understand the basic scripting stuff and the various editors, I can make a hack if I want to with just that.  Thing is, it's not going to be particularly interesting except as a vessel to tell a story unless it's got some asm editing to spice things up.  In other words, I think I should start working on something and use the fact that I have an actual project in the works to spur me to learn the asm side of things.

ok but are we supposed to care since this topic is about you needing help with tlp

I dunno, I find people being interested in learning assembly to be worth reading.

If you actually want to pursue that (admittedly most noble of goals), the Ultimate Tutorial has a primer on assembly at the very end which is a good starting point. You can also get help over at FEUniverse.

• 2 years later...

So does anyone have a step by step guide on how to fix this by chance? im on 2.1 and the flag didn't trigger; I dont have any experience in romhacking and theres no one else talking about this, like, anywhere. Even if i have to play on an older version thats fine.

There's actually no need to fix this.  In the current version of TLP, the thing about visiting the houses has actually been removed; so now you only need to go fast to be eligible for 7x.

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this thread since it's the first google result when you look around for a fix to the 7x bug. I fixed this issue on v2.1 (from feshrine) doing the following: Download version 2.0 (the one on romhacking.net) used a fresh USA version of FE7 to patch 2.0 into, THEN grabbed the save files from the version with the bug, matched the names on these saves and the new 2.0 I had just patched, re-visited the houses, and that triggered the event for 7x. If you're already on the last turns and can't afford to visit all houses, use an infinite turn gameshark

Enabler:
4FBE8AE47A7146C7
3E19AADC5DF2EFC2

Infinite turns:
4202BD5C 0000
0000000D 0048