[SRPG Studio][Steam]Clarent Saga: Tactics

david.nguyen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a fun little game you've made here! It feels like a 3/4ths Fire Emblem in that it has all the necessary themes and features but not as much a full entry. It's great, fast, condensed FE gameplay and story. The story has many of the same beats as many in the series, I can see inspiration from FE4/5 and some Awakening so far (Part 3). I like how much free you have to play it (save whenever, change difficulty on the fly, add weapons if you need to, etc). My biggest gripe was actually cosmetic as sprites don't match hair colours but this might be hard to implement in the end. Overall I have been enjoying the ride and looking forward to reaching the end!

Also, where did you get the portraits? Are they done yourself or are they spliced/used from other sources? I swear some characters look familiar (e.g. Leo looks like a Code Geass character).

Thank you for your interest!

> Also, where did you get the portraits? Are they done yourself or are they spliced/used from other sources? I swear some characters look familiar (e.g. Leo looks like a Code Geass character).

All the portraits are from the default (stock) asset of the software (SRPGStudio), they are good so I kept them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just tried the first level of the game on Very Hard and my only unit got one rounded on the first enemy turn. Needless to say, the balance seems a little off. I'd recommend working on making a few difficulties fun instead of adding 8 different difficulties that are unbalanced. 

Normal fire emblem entries have 3 or 4 difficulties and they get full teams of playtesters to give feedback on the balancing. Seems a bit ambitious to have so many difficulty modes in a small team effort. 

Detailed feedback: On the first level I decided to attack the swordmaster girl right in front of the starting location with SIegrfried. She told me that we were doing some training. After that, a Wyvern unit flew to my position and procedeed to one-round me. I got a game over. I proceeded to close the game at that point. 

Edited by rdrouyn

Thank you for your interest and precious feedback!

I like what I did with the multiple difficulties setting. You are supposed to play in normal mode first.
A solution would be to lock harder difficulties and unlock them by finishing the game multiple time
but I probably won't do that. I will change the difficulties names instead:
Very Hard to Challenge
Challenge to Challenge+

Here are comment for each difficulty.

Walk: your characters are litterally invincible and you have infinite turns. for those who want enjoy the story
or newcommers to fire emblem.
Easy: a little too easy for my taste but a good middle between Walk and Normal.
Normal: this is the difficulty you should start with. Quite fun and balanced.
Normal+: same as normal but with permadeath.
Hard/Hard+: harder but still fair in my opinion.
Challenge/Challenge+: may seem unfair and unbalanced, as you have to abuse RNG to complete these mode and know the game very well.

Can you retry in Normal or Easy and give me more feedback, that would be very helpful.

Edited by david.nguyen

Given that I play Fire Emblem on Hard or Lunatic/Maddening most of the time, I expected to be able to play the game on Hard mode without getting stomped on the first level.  So if it is intended to be harder than the average Hard mode of a FE game, then renaming it is for the best.

Also, If Challenge mode requires advanced knowledge of the game's mechanics then perhaps locking it until the player beats the game is the way to go. It doesn't make sense to drop a blind player into something like that.

I'm also not a fan of modes that require huge amounts of luck or RNG abuse. There should be a stat benchmark or strategy that can realistically beat each map with an average amount of luck. Or at least, that is how I'd design it.

I'll give normal a shot in and give you feedback in a couple of days.  

Edited by rdrouyn

• 5 months later...