Hex Editing and Game Freezes

Mighty V

I'm very new to hex editing, but I thought it was simple enough that I could do it on my own. So, I'm trying to put Circleseverywhere's FE8 Native Instruments BIN into my FE8 hack, and it worked perfectly with a clean file (the custom music works and everything).

Now, I tried the same with my edited ROM, which has nightmare edits and text/portrait/sprite edits from Feditor Adv, and the game crashes whenever actual gameplay comes up. I can navigate the title screen and even access the sound room to hear my custom music, but the World Map and Link Arena cause the game to freeze. I tried inserting the BIN into the free space at 00B2A610 and free space I made myself at the end of the ROM, both with the same results. Another quirk is when I start a new game: immediately after the cutscenes end, the game resets itself.

Is there an issue with the free space that's conflicting with Feditor Adv or Nightmare? And if it is, is there an easy fix or would I simply have to start all over with a clean ROM?

Edited by Mighty V

Apologies if I use any wrong terminology

I opened the BIN in my hex editor and copied/pasted it straight into my ROM. First I pasted the bytes at 0x00B2A610, which I read was free space not used by Nightmare or Feditor Adv that was safe to edit. The new data would end at 0x00B2AC00.

When that destroyed the ROM, I tried again, this time adding more bytes to the ROM to expand it and inserting the bytes at 0x010ADFB0. Same thing happened.

I'm using Zahlman's Music Editor if that helps, though I don't think it's the problem since a clean ROM works just fine.

offset4.png

2 hours ago, Mighty V said:

Whichever one is "Paste Insert", which I suppose would be ctrl+V? I used right click to paste.

You need to use ctrl-b, which is paste overwrite, else, you will move all of the data after what you pasted, and all of the pointers will become invalid.

or you could have used EA, which would have done that in the first place.

2 hours ago, Kirb1337 said:

You need to use ctrl-b, which is paste overwrite, else, you will move all of the data after what you pasted, and all of the pointers will become invalid.

or you could have used EA, which would have done that in the first place.

I just tried this and it is now working perfectly! Thank you and agro!

Event assembler still scares me to death though