How About Remakes of FE Games You Didn't Like

Captain Karnage

So after Echoes was announced earlier this year I heard quite a bit of talk about remakes of older FE titles, and well, I was on board of a remake of FE6 7 or 9. But then I ended up watching a Nostalga Critic video on remakes, and it's really changed my views on remakes in general. Why not remake games we didn't like to begin with. At the time of me watching the video I had already finished Echoes, and when Doug Walker went on about remaking bad movies I thought to myself, "I really didn't like Gaiden at all, but I loved the remake of it". So my thoughts have changed, I'm for remaks of games I didn't like to begin with.

I'm for a Geneology remake, I really didn't like it's gameplay, and I thought it took way to long to get through 1 chapter

I'm all for remaking games I didn't like... Though the one game I actually played and didn't like is one that is itself a remake. That being said, I wouldn't mind a remake of SD (that actually has effort put into it) and the Jugdral games as long as IntSys doesn't forgo playability for the sake of remaining faithful to the original.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Remaking FE9 would basically be making everything not boring and fixing the slowness... the former would likely require a lot of changing.

Remaking FE13... Change to Fates pair up (or get rid of it), revamp the story, redesign almost all the maps to make them not boring.  ...Which is also a lot of changing.

Changing too much makes it lose the spirit of the original, A FE9 remake with all the maps changed isn't FE9, it's a new game using FE9's story.  So... yeah.

A Genealogy of the Holy War remake would be cool, I guess.

The story can be kept more or less the way it is.  However, the gameplay structure would need a massive overhaul, enough that it might as well be a new game.  I'm not sure if IS would even be willing to undertake such an endeavor.

51 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I can't force myself play Genealogy after I began it so I hope it get's a faithful remake so I can enjoy somewhat enjoy and understand Jugdral.

I'm wary of wanting a faithful remake, personally - I don't want IntSys to sacrifice playability for the sake of remaining faithful, especially when the game they're remaking is already laden with problems in the gameplay department.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Genealogy's large maps may translate well on something like the Nintendo Switch? It could be faithful in the manner of large maps, literally fighting across the continent, but removing unpopular features like each unit having their own money supply.

Binding Blade hasn't aged very well at all IMO. Same turn reinforcements make it near unplayable unless you either use save states, look up maps beforehand, or are a masochist. The weird hit rates don't help.

Everything made after Binding Blade is fine though? I mean the other GBA ones have the annoyance of class-exclusive promotion items, but other than that none of them really beg for remakes.

29 minutes ago, Alertcircuit said:

Binding Blade hasn't aged very well at all IMO. Same turn reinforcements make it near unplayable unless you either use save states, look up maps beforehand, or are a masochist.

Same turn reinforcements sucked in Binding Blade but i disagree on it making the game near unplayable. There are several cases of same turn reinforcements where you are far away enough to where it doesn't matter.

Seriously none of the FE games I dislike really needs a remake.
FE6 has some good patches which fixed the gameplay issues.
And I really don't need a third remake of FE1.

FE5 is really the only one which needs a remake because some mechanics need improvement, but it's a game I really like already.
And FE9 with Maniac Mode for the west would be nice.

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

This is non-FE, but I've been hoping for Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes for a while specifically because I think they're the worst Pokemon games and remakes would be able to fix all their issues.

For FE, yes, a Binding Blade remake would be nice to make it actually fun to play. Thracia even more so. The problem here is that IS has shown that they'd rather remain faithful to a fault with their remakes.

An FE4 remake shouldn't be too difficult. Just allow either rescue or ideally pair-ups, with maybe increasing all unit's movements by 1-2, and there comes half of the gameplay balance solved. Fix other nonsensical aspects such as make the army's funds entirely communal, allow item trades, make the convoy an actual thing, and have healing staves connect unconditionally, and it should be just as playable as most of the post-FE7 internationalized games. And if permanent checkpoint saves weren't a thing in the original, them add them in the remake.

Edited by henrymidfields

I would love a Genealogy remake. The story is great and the character design is nice (although a remake would hopefully reduce the amount of pompadours). The issue I have with Genealogy is that it requires so much patience to get through a single map because they're so large, if you don't have money, you can't trade valuable items, and there were some serious balancing issues (Arden, anyone?). I love the game to death, but I just can't play through it. It takes so long to do anything and units that aren't mounted get left behind.

And if Genealogy's map size stayed the same as a remake, I would definitely want there to be in-battle saves like in Awakening and Fates' easier difficulties, because Judgral, for me, at least, is best played in short bursts.

I don't dislike any of the FE games, but I did find FE4 hard to play and haven't completed that one. I really hope for a remake that makes it feel all a little less dull. The maps were huge, but they often felt like there wasn't as much on them as you can get in other games... and I really hated each unit having their own money. I hope they rethink some of these things if they come to remake it... and I really hope it is next on their list, along with Thracia ^.^

Totally agree. For the first moments after Echoes' announcement, I was pretty apprehensive. Why remake the worst game? In my defense, this series' two remakes were pretty bad, so I was apprehensive on the subject of remakes. But I thought about Gaiden and realized the game would be pretty playable if it ran on faster 3DS hardware with enemy phase and battle animation skipping. Making a Gaiden Remake a decent game wasn't a herculean task, and what we saw at that point was promising.

Have to disagree on remaking Shadow Dragon again. They had their chance. I'm just hoping the next games on the list are Geneology and Thraccia. I don't want to skip ahead to FE6 or any of the internationally released games. These remakes can be way better than just a translated VC port, and I'm totally willing to wait.

Edited by Glennstavos

15 hours ago, Florete said:

This is non-FE, but I've been hoping for Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes for a while specifically because I think they're the worst Pokemon games and remakes would be able to fix all their issues.

Agreed. If they kept some of Platinum's changes like the Dex expansion and streamlined gameplay, Sinnoh might finally have its chance to shine.

Gaiden was definitely the last game I wanted to see a remake off but I'm very pleased with how Echoes came out so I would be fine with games I don't particularly like to be remade. 

I'm not particularly fond of Binding blade butI'd be down for a remake of it. There's enough of stuff I liked, enough they can fix and enough to carry over from Blazing sword. If they just presented the story less archaically, made some of the duller characters more interesting and put Pent in as an archsage I could see myself really liking the remake. 

Shadow dragon is another matter though. It had its turn and should only have a third chance once Genealogy and Binding blade have had their remakes. It would be incredibly off putting to have to wait for those remakes just because Archenea is in line for special treatment again. It already had its chance, that it wasted that chance shouldn't get in the way of games that deserves their time in the sun far more. 

18 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I'm wary of wanting a faithful remake, personally - I don't want IntSys to sacrifice playability for the sake of remaining faithful, especially when the game they're remaking is already laden with problems in the gameplay department.

^^^

18 hours ago, KongDude said:

I can't force myself play Genealogy after I began it so I hope it get's a faithful remake so I can enjoy somewhat enjoy and understand Jugdral.

I wouldn't mind a complete overhaul tbh. I know it's listed as my fave, but I think the structure of a remake should be like every other FE. Keep the story the same, but have "normal" chapters I guess you can say? Like, make the chapters no bigger than FE6's. So there will be closer to 40 chapters rather than 12, so they can add more detail that was in the supplementary stuff (guides, manga) into the story to explain it better. FE4 is a wild ride with a lot of names and faces, so it may benefit from the pacing of the typical FE structure.

I know people will say it will lose its individual charm, but the slog isn't the most charming thing. I can play the original anyways, the remake doesn't instantly block me from playing it. I feel like more people would appreciate the game if it was a bit more normal in terms of maps and such.

Now onto the OP topic, I would like FE3/SD to be given another chance. Most notably, the 2 book structure FE3 had. Most of us western fans didn't get a chance to play New Mystery so I would like to play it and a read a localized story. Also the artwork of SD was nice, but it lacks the charm other artstyles had.

28 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Now onto the OP topic, I would like FE3/SD to be given another chance. Most notably, the 2 book structure FE3 had. Most of us western fans didn't get a chance to play New Mystery so I would like to play it and a read a localized story. Also the artwork of SD was nice, but it lacks the charm other artstyles had.

This is why I have faith in a Mystery remake being on the table unlike others who say it "had its chance", no it did not when it was Japan exclusive and a lot of people don't use emulators. I would also like to see the two-book presentation, unless the gameplay is extremely similar to Shadow Dragon it would feel off to not include Book 1.