Authority/Leadership Stars Idea

Icelerate

While many characters had authority stars, the only characters who actually used them were the ones who commanded the army. Only Ike, Geoffrey, Lucia, Tibarn and Elincia benefitted from them and all their underlings automatically benefited regardless of their affiliation with the commander. The rest of the cast's authority stars didn't matter which is pretty lame. Here is a suggestion that gives authority stars more usage and makes them much more interesting. 

Each character who has authority stars will enhance characters who they directly influence/outrank in the story. For example, Caineghis, being the leader of the beast tribe, will benefit all the beast tribe laguz. Authority stars can also stack so Skrimir's authority stars can enhance all beast tribe laguz, barring Caineghis and Giffca, since he doesn't outrank them. Sanaki's stars can enhance Sigrun, Tanith, Naesala, Lehran and Oliver. Nailah's can enhance Volug and Rafiel. Tibarn's can enhance Janaff, Ulki and Reyson. Naesala's can enhance Leane and Nealuchi. Ike's would enhance the GMs. Kurthnaga's would enhance Ena, Nasir and Gareth. Elincia's would enhance all characters from Crimea including the CRK, Brom, Nephenee, Heather, Danved, Bastian, Calil and Renning. Geoffrey would enhance just the CRK, Calil and Danved. Lucia would probably enhance Heather, Brom and Nephenee. 

From parts 1 to 3, there won't be much of a change in terms of gameplay but in part 4, people will have to strategize more when deciding how to split up the army into three different groups. Afterwards, in the endgame, these stars can be something to consider when making a party for the tower. 

Of course, there are characters which I believe deserve leadership stars but don't have any. These include Micaiah, Tauroneo, Titania, Sigrun, Lehran and Giffca. Micaiah would enhance all Daein units barring Pelleas because he's above her in rank. Tauroneo enhances all Daein units barring the aforementioned. Titania enhances all GMs barring Ike because she's their deputy commander. Sigrun enhances Tanith, maybe pointless due to lack of Begnion units. Lehran enhances all Begnion units barring Sanaki.

Haar, being the independent person he is, and the fact that he's broken, gets no benefit from authority stars along with a few other OP characters such as the laguz royales and Ike. This would help in balancing the cast.  

What do you think of this idea? Should it be implemented in a remastered Radiant Dawn remake or a fanmade mod? If not, would a similar idea work in a new Fire Emblem game? 

I like the idea, I've always wanted Authority Stars to have a greater impact. The problem I see with stacking stars is that units that have more than one leader will get such a boost that will be OP. On the beorc side take Geoffrey, he benefits from Elincia's stars, but Renning has 4 stars, and I assume Renning boosts Elincia, Lucia and Geoffrey, giving him +35% on hit/avoid, disregarding support bonuses. On the laguz side, take Kyza, he's under Ranulf's command but will benefit from both Skrimir and Caineghis, and who knows what army he is in. How many gains will they get with such vertical tree of relationships?

If authority/charisma stacks, then enemies will have to be either stronger stat wise or have a relationship tree similar in complexity to the player, else the player will literally stomp the game (besides how it is trivialized with Royals, Ike and Haar).

I think if said system is polished it should make it in such way that each commander affects selected units (a determined sub group) rather than a group/race as a whole (though it may be the case for laguz units).

1 hour ago, Quintessence said:

I like the idea, I've always wanted Authority Stars to have a greater impact. The problem I see with stacking stars is that units that have more than one leader will get such a boost that will be OP. On the beorc side take Geoffrey, he benefits from Elincia's stars, but Renning has 4 stars, and I assume Renning boosts Elincia, Lucia and Geoffrey, giving him +35% on hit/avoid, disregarding support bonuses. On the laguz side, take Kyza, he's under Ranulf's command but will benefit from both Skrimir and Caineghis, and who knows what army he is in. How many gains will they get with such vertical tree of relationships?

If authority/charisma stacks, then enemies will have to be either stronger stat wise or have a relationship tree similar in complexity to the player, else the player will literally stomp the game (besides how it is trivialized with Royals, Ike and Haar).

I think if said system is polished it should make it in such way that each commander affects selected units (a determined sub group) rather than a group/race as a whole (though it may be the case for laguz units).

The only time you can deploy all the Crimean leaders is chapter 4-5 and end game. But if you end up deploying all the Crimean leaders, to benefit from their authority, you only get a few more Crimean units to deploy in end game. Considering how Crimean units generally get neglected and that there aren't that many of them, it may still not be the best strategy to deploy just the CKs. I don't think Renning should have four stars. The guy had lost his mind for three years and most thought he was dead. He should have lost most of his authority and should be inferior to Elincia in that regard. Also, one's own authority stars shouldn't benefit themselves, to make it less attractive to deploy the influential, so Renning won't have as much avoid/hit other than Elincia's bonus. 

Aren't Kyza and the other beast Laguz pretty bad with the exception of Caineghis, Gifca Ranulf and Skrimir? These stars would only help the likes of Kyza, Lethe, Ranulf, Lyre and Mordecai in end game because Caineghis shows up only in end game. I don't think deploying a team of beast laguz for end game is very smart due to lacking 2 range, energy bar and unable to get much exp so all these authority stars give you some more incentive to do so but then you aren't going to be able to use all your legendary items. There is a tradeoff when it comes to using these units.

Though for balancing sake, maybe make the range of authority stars limited or nerf each star's worth if my idea ends up being unbalanced which I don't think it is. I agree that enemy stats should be improved in part 4 and end game. Also get rid of mastery skills, they are too OP. 

2 hours ago, Icelerate said:

The only time you can deploy all the Crimean leaders is chapter 4-5 and end game. But if you end up deploying all the Crimean leaders, to benefit from their authority, you only get a few more Crimean units to deploy in end game. Considering how Crimean units generally get neglected and that there aren't that many of them, it may still not be the best strategy to deploy just the CKs. I don't think Renning should have four stars. The guy had lost his mind for three years and most thought he was dead. He should have lost most of his authority and should be inferior to Elincia in that regard. Also, one's own authority stars shouldn't benefit themselves, to make it less attractive to deploy the influential, so Renning won't have as much avoid/hit other than Elincia's bonus. 

Aren't Kyza and the other beast Laguz pretty bad with the exception of Caineghis, Gifca Ranulf and Skrimir? These stars would only help the likes of Kyza, Lethe, Ranulf, Lyre and Mordecai in end game because Caineghis shows up only in end game. I don't think deploying a team of beast laguz for end game is very smart due to lacking 2 range, energy bar and unable to get much exp so all these authority stars give you some more incentive to do so but then you aren't going to be able to use all your legendary items. There is a tradeoff when it comes to using these units.

Though for balancing sake, maybe make the range of authority stars limited or nerf each star's worth if my idea ends up being unbalanced which I don't think it is. I agree that enemy stats should be improved in part 4 and end game. Also get rid of mastery skills, they are too OP. 

It doesn't matter. You need not to deploy all the Crimean Army to exploit authority. For instance, Renning, Elincia and Geoffrey are 3 solid choices for 4-E. Elincia is naturally amazing because of mobility, staves and Amiti, Renning because of good stats and mobility and candidate for Alondite, and Geoffrey is a decent unit that catches up really quick and gets on par to other units like Oscar, plus he is a candidate for Brave Lance blessing. With that trio Renning would get +20, Elincia +35 and Geoffrey +50 (considering Geoffrey benefits from the Crimean rulers), add a minimum of +8 hit for Geoffrey and he won't need any luck to hit Ashera or her auras. In this regard, I think authority shouldn't stack and just apply the higher value if the unit is in more than one authority chain.

I disagree that Renning should lose his authority. Despite being berserked or whatever they did to him, he built quite the reputation as Bertram and further developped his abilities as a leader and a general. Why wouldn't he benefit from his own charisma? It is self confidence, after all and that definitely improves one's performance on anything. Also, why would Elincia's command affect him? It should be the opposite.

Yeah they're bad compared to the Royals but that doesn't stop them from being deployed or get the bonuses.

Nerfing authority's range would hurt the concept completely, as it becomes an extra support. I think the concept is good but the idea of stacking isn't a good one, imo. Masteries should stay but should be balanced.

Edited by Quintessence

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds awesome to me. I like the Authority Stars idea and would like to see this mechanic return again with more depth added to it. Additionally I want to see the Affinity Bonus mechanic again, I have always liked this idea and I find it sad that since the 3ds games we have not seen this again. I hope that with the next FE game ideas such as these will be reused.

11 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

I didn't like Leadership stars in RD. It made certain chapters in Part 1 quite annoying while making all of Ike's chapters in Part 3 incredibly easy

From what I understand about leadership stars that was more due to if I recall correctly Micaiah has 0. ZERO leadership stars while Ike on the other hand has 5, and Geoffrey and Elincia both have 3 I think. Again I'm going off of memory here, but I would say the problem isn't so much the mechanic itself but rather in part one DB has none while their enemies do, and then the Greil Mercenaries (AKA the A-Team) have a ton of them. Definitely something that should have been adjusted. But yeah, compared to FE4 RD should have given the DB some Leadership Stars.

On 9/23/2017 at 4:59 PM, Quintessence said:

Well that would help to make Kyza an actually noteworthy unit...

To give Sirgun and Thanith's stars more worth they could influence Astrid. She was Begnion aligned originally.

Edited by Jotari

On 9/23/2017 at 3:49 PM, Quintessence said:

It doesn't matter. You need not to deploy all the Crimean Army to exploit authority. For instance, Renning, Elincia and Geoffrey are 3 solid choices for 4-E. Elincia is naturally amazing because of mobility, staves and Amiti, Renning because of good stats and mobility and candidate for Alondite, and Geoffrey is a decent unit that catches up really quick and gets on par to other units like Oscar, plus he is a candidate for Brave Lance blessing. With that trio Renning would get +20, Elincia +35 and Geoffrey +50 (considering Geoffrey benefits from the Crimean rulers), add a minimum of +8 hit for Geoffrey and he won't need any luck to hit Ashera or her auras. In this regard, I think authority shouldn't stack and just apply the higher value if the unit is in more than one authority chain.

I disagree that Renning should lose his authority. Despite being berserked or whatever they did to him, he built quite the reputation as Bertram and further developped his abilities as a leader and a general. Why wouldn't he benefit from his own charisma? It is self confidence, after all and that definitely improves one's performance on anything. Also, why would Elincia's command affect him? It should be the opposite.

Yeah they're bad compared to the Royals but that doesn't stop them from being deployed or get the bonuses.

Nerfing authority's range would hurt the concept completely, as it becomes an extra support. I think the concept is good but the idea of stacking isn't a good one, imo. Masteries should stay but should be balanced.

Authority stars only increase hit and avoid, they don't make the game broken especially when Geoffrey alone will benefit to such an extent. 

But he was just a mad zombie as Bertram fighting the Crimeans, that won't inspire Crimean soldiers to rally behind him and should actually hurt his authority. Characters shouldn't benefit from their own charisma because charisma is something that inspires other people. Everyone inspires themselves to various degree but that doesn't mean a person with good leadership will be more inspired by their own authority than a loner inspiring themselves. For example, Edward has a lot of self-confidence, that doesn't mean he should have authority stars that benefit only himself. Under your system, characters with self-esteem issues but in high authority positions will benefit more from their charisma than Edward. 

Also, gameplay wise it would nerf Ike and Laguz royals which is a nerf that is needed IMO. The laguz royals would still be far superior to their subordinates even if authority stacked but they didn't benefit from there own. 

FE4 used the same system and could stack. RD already has supports stacking on top of bonds so none of these are foreign ideas to the series.

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

Authority stars only increase hit and avoid, they don't make the game broken especially when Geoffrey alone will benefit to such an extent. 

But he was just a mad zombie as Bertram fighting the Crimeans, that won't inspire Crimean soldiers to rally behind him and should actually hurt his authority. Characters shouldn't benefit from their own charisma because charisma is something that inspires other people. Everyone inspires themselves to various degree but that doesn't mean a person with good leadership will be more inspired by their own authority than a loner inspiring themselves. For example, Edward has a lot of self-confidence, that doesn't mean he should have authority stars that benefit only himself. Under your system, characters with self-esteem issues but in high authority positions will benefit more from their charisma than Edward. 

Also, gameplay wise it would nerf Ike and Laguz royals which is a nerf that is needed IMO. The laguz royals would still be far superior to their subordinates even if authority stacked but they didn't benefit from there own. 

FE4 used the same system and could stack. RD already has supports stacking on top of bonds so none of these are foreign ideas to the series.

I know, but a stack of avoid can make a lot of units to become dodge tanks and somehow trivialize the game. Not that it would definitely trivialize more the game, but it is something to be considered.

But Renning has a strong and solid background as King Ramon's brother, successor to Crimea's throne and founder and commander of the CRKs. Such a background has merits enough to deserve his authority stars whether or not he's crazed or not. He was popular among people and helped Elincia on her journey to Gallia. People will still be fond of him right after the Tower of Guidance Battle. Even then, when he is completely healed it is when Ashera passed her judgement.

23 hours ago, Quintessence said:

I know, but a stack of avoid can make a lot of units to become dodge tanks and somehow trivialize the game. Not that it would definitely trivialize more the game, but it is something to be considered.

But Renning has a strong and solid background as King Ramon's brother, successor to Crimea's throne and founder and commander of the CRKs. Such a background has merits enough to deserve his authority stars whether or not he's crazed or not. He was popular among people and helped Elincia on her journey to Gallia. People will still be fond of him right after the Tower of Guidance Battle. Even then, when he is completely healed it is when Ashera passed her judgement.

Hopefully, in a new FE game, some of these ideas can be implemented better. 

I just don't think he deserves more authority than Elincia, the beloved queen of Crimea. It's more of a numbers issue like how that generic Daein general who worships Micaiah has three stars while Micaiah and Pelleas have 0 and 1 respectively. Renning might deserve three stars but definitely two IMO.