I want a Remake and a new Story for Sacred Stones.

I want a new story and a remake to Sacred Stones.  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree.

• I agree.
    • I disagree.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:32 PM, ChiefStrudel said:

As much as it's my favorite, there are other games that need a remake. The story certainly doesn't need changing. Sacred Stones has one of the best stories in the series. If you don't agree with that statement, you have to agree that the villains in Sacred Stones are the best in the series. Hardly a single one of them is a true "villain." They've all got tragic stories or a loyalty to their country that puts them in a grey area.

War is a lot darker when your enemy isn't unequivocally evil.

I find it very hard to agree with most of this - imho, the Grado generals were mostly bad, with Caellach and Riev both being evil for the sake of being evil, and Valter wasn't much better. Selena was a blind loyalty bot. Glen and Duessel were pretty cool, though. Orson was just another underdeveloped villain. Lyon was overshadowed by the Grado generals for most of the game, which hurt since most of them were awful. I fail to see how the likes of Caellach or Riev could be in a grey area when it's blatantly obvious they're jet black. As for the story itself, it was hurt by the game being way too short.

That's true, but I fail to see how Sacred Stones pulled that off with its attempts at humanizing its villains being so half-hearted and inorganic.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:13 AM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I find it very hard to agree with most of this - imho, the Grado generals were mostly bad, with Caellach and Riev both being evil for the sake of being evil, and Valter wasn't much better. Selena was a blind loyalty bot. Glen and Duessel were pretty cool, though. Orson was just another underdeveloped villain. Lyon was overshadowed by the Grado generals for most of the game, which hurt since most of them were awful. I fail to see how the likes of Caellach or Riev could be in a grey area when it's blatantly obvious they're jet black. As for the story itself, it was hurt by the game being way too short.

That's true, but I fail to see how Sacred Stones pulled that off with its attempts at humanizing its villains being so half-hearted and inorganic.

They were undeniably bad, but they all had personality. They weren't all "We're the bad guys, we must rape and pillage because it's a bad thing to do!", Caellach wanted to be a king and Riev wanted revenge on Rausten for excommunicating him. The only enemy commander I feel got the short end of the stick was Pablo. We know basically nothing about him except for the fact he's power hungry.

12 hours ago, Number one Ross fan said:

They were undeniably bad, but they all had personality. They weren't all "We're the bad guys, we must rape and pillage because it's a bad thing to do!", Caellach wanted to be a king and Riev wanted revenge on Rausten for excommunicating him. The only enemy commander I feel got the short end of the stick was Pablo. We know basically nothing about him except for the fact he's power hungry.

I still think they're a sure sign that Sacred Stones had more villains than it knew what to do with - especially Riev, who is barely relevant until the very end of the game. And as for the part about his excommunication from Rausten? That doesn't come up except in a boss conversation against one very specific character, to my knowledge. The whole thing about wanting to be king just makes Caellach come off as a proto-Hans. It doesn't help that he kills one of his own men (Aias, assuming you don't do him in).

FE Sacred Stones is fine as is and plenty of rom hacks for it to adjust difficulty, etc. The big thing is that it is readily available. The ones that need some love are the FE series that either has the fan translations only or didn't get distributed properly and is unavailable. IS & Nintendo don't seem very interested in porting even the mind-numbingly obvious and easy ports like the Tellius Series. 

The Grado generals have more personality and feel more complete than Fates or Awakenings villains who are not developed at all. 

Actually, most of IS's villains have been very cookie cutter on 3ds. At least, they have more personality than the heroes in it.

Edited by grinus

31 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

The whole thing about wanting to be king just makes Caellach come off as a proto-Hans.

It does and I think Hans definitely was inspired by Caellach to some degree. The comparison is pretty dreadful for Hans though because Caellach stomps him in every area. Both are lowlifes who are immoral enough to serve tyrants if they get something out of it. But where the writers decided just increasing the screentime of the usual generic bandit boss of the typical FE prologue was enough for Hans they actually gave Caellach his own personality, his own goals, his own design and to some extend even his own past. Caellach is someone Hans might have been if the writers had actually been doing their job with Fates. 

I wouldn't really classify Caellach and perhaps even Hans as evil for the sake of evil villains. They aren't madman out to destroy the world or cause suffering just because they feel like doing evil. They might enjoy what they do but that's not the point about them. Its not that they enjoy being evil but that they just have no problem with it if its gets them what they want. Though this definitely goes more for Caellach than Hans. 

If Sacred Stones got a new story it would cease to be Sacred Stones... you can adjust the story or expand on under-developed elements, but there's only so much you can change and still call it a remake.

Besides, I'd rather other games (looking at you, JP-only titles) get their remakes first.

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I still think they're a sure sign that Sacred Stones had more villains than it knew what to do with - especially Riev, who is barely relevant until the very end of the game. And as for the part about his excommunication from Rausten? That doesn't come up except in a boss conversation against one very specific character, to my knowledge. The whole thing about wanting to be king just makes Caellach come off as a proto-Hans. It doesn't help that he kills one of his own men (Aias, assuming you don't do him in).

True. I also think that Carcino was an afterthought, because we only visit it once (And only on Eirika's route) and there are only three(ish) major characters from there.

• 10 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 6:04 PM, Shadow Mir said:

And as for the part about his excommunication from Rausten? That doesn't come up except in a boss conversation against one very specific character, to my knowledge.

Just wanted to point out that Riev always mentions him being excommunicated when at the start of the battle. That being said, I agree that he has little relevancy in the overall plot. He's the least interesting of the 3 "evil generals" imo

• 1 month later...

The  Sacred Stones plot need to be fleshed out, especially via story oriented paralogues. It would be awesome seeing it gaining Echoes "treatment".

If a new story is wanted, a sequel or prequel would be the way to go. 

I think it will eventually get a remake as long the franchise keep going, but Genealogy, Thracia and the Elibe games need it more. 

Edited by Mylady