Tempest Trials: Moment of Fate!

Vaximillian

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been sick the past few days which has put an unexpected wrench in my FE plans, but I've still managed to reach 41,527 as of right now. I wanted to try grinding some other units for Hero Merit, but Masked Marth is almost a necessity as a healer, Soren is my bonus unit for now (I have all of the 20% bonus units that will probably switch out eventually), and WoM Ninina paired with LaD + Desperation Olwen is just too much fun. Those two are now supporting (only seems fair, since Reinhardt and Azura are also supporting), and they've gone from 0 Hero Merit to almost 2,000 and 2,500 respectively, just from this TT. I should still be on track to get all the rewards, but even if I don't, this has definitely been one of the most fun Tempest Trials so far just thanks to the units I have, even if some of the maps are a bit... eh...

Waiting patiently for Friday to train BK in the tempest for 12 SP per kill. Though to be tbh I could also just level him now and make a modest effort to grind for more during that weekend's runs. With those stats, he's going to be monster.

Outside of bonus runs, I just do Lunatic 5 now. It's easy to throw three 5 stars and a healer and they'll survive until the end. It's not so easy you can just hit auto battle, but the HM gains are about 50% better than Hard 5. My Hero Merit list is starting to look neat again.

On 9/25/2017 at 0:39 PM, Zinnia said:

How can some of you go without a healer? Renewal, reciprocal aid? I know with some units (Klein, Rein) and drawback/reposition is easy to kill units without recoil, yet long term it's impossible for me to get 0 damage. Specially on the lunatic-7, I don't think my units could get to the last map in a decent condition without a healer.

I'd do something like Horse Emblem, with Titania/Lyn/Oscar/Stahl.  The jewel weapon users should take minimal damage from baiting.

But I'd rather run a healer, because it's great for SP.  Current team is Ike/Azura/Nino/Wrys.  IMO dancing + healing is vital in TT.

---

In other news. . .

Spoiler

0v9IBHZ.jpg

Wrys for best healer.

So I decided to try out the auto-battle on Lunatic 7 just to see how far my characters could get. I had pretty low expectations because the AI usually makes really stupid choices when there are other just as logical ways to go. (Let's use Nino to bait the Brave Lance cav. Hector's totally in range but it makes WAY more sense to make Nino the meat shield while Hector deals with those pesky red mages.)

Well, the first time around my bonus unit team made it through the map with an A/B rating. And all of them survived. It was kind of creepy. For the first time, I watched the AI make like...smart choices. The AI made it through a few times with either an A/B or a B/A which was pretty good. Even Nephenee managed to clear a couple of maps by herself with 1 HP because no one could do any damage to her.

I decided to let auto-battle run while I was doing some chores. When I came back, my characters had gotten stuck on a reposition loop, and they were on turn 50. So much for my faith in AI. lol

6 hours ago, Korath88 said:

One thing I've noticed is that dancers and brave heroes have been removed from the enemy list, likely to avoid frustrating players. Not sure if it has been brought up earlier or not.

I've encountered at lot of Barsts, Lukes and Ravens, but no dancers. Overall I have the same sensation. 

I really wouldn't mind them at this point. They are a part of the general pool and the overall frustration of the Tempest has been vastly diluted by the daily bonuses, rewards and essentially +10 Bonus units. They actually made this an incredibly fun and rewarding mode that doesn't get stale after the first week anymore.

8 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

So I decided to try out the auto-battle on Lunatic 7 just to see how far my characters could get. I had pretty low expectations because the AI usually makes really stupid choices when there are other just as logical ways to go. (Let's use Nino to bait the Brave Lance cav. Hector's totally in range but it makes WAY more sense to make Nino the meat shield while Hector deals with those pesky red mages.)

Well, the first time around my bonus unit team made it through the map with an A/B rating. And all of them survived. It was kind of creepy. For the first time, I watched the AI make like...smart choices. The AI made it through a few times with either an A/B or a B/A which was pretty good. Even Nephenee managed to clear a couple of maps by herself with 1 HP because no one could do any damage to her.

I decided to let auto-battle run while I was doing some chores. When I came back, my characters had gotten stuck on a reposition loop, and they were on turn 50. So much for my faith in AI. lol

I love it when they do stupid shit like that.

If you forfeit and go with your 2nd team you get to keep an A for speed. A/B is worth way more than E/A.

I don't know how you got so lucky to have them make it to then end so many times. I mostly do Lunatic-5 on auto and they always seem to find a way to screw even that up. For some reason Oscar loves to try to tank Brave axe users every chance he gets. They AI needs to be programmed to stay away from things that can murder them. Especially when one of their teammates can has a huge advantage.

24 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

I love it when they do stupid shit like that.

If you forfeit and go with your 2nd team you get to keep an A for speed. A/B is worth way more than E/A.

I don't know how you got so lucky to have them make it to then end so many times. I mostly do Lunatic-5 on auto and they always seem to find a way to screw even that up. For some reason Oscar loves to try to tank Brave axe users every chance he gets. They AI needs to be programmed to stay away from things that can murder them. Especially when one of their teammates can has a huge advantage.

I honestly don't know how they've made it to the final map. When I WATCH them, good things happen. When I leave them to their own devices, stupid things happen. Like the AI thought it was a good idea to let Mist tank blows from Leon and do chip damage in return while everyone else just crammed behind her. (Leon was on the other side of a wall.) IDK why the AI wouldn't think, "Let's move the healer and use the sturdy mage to finish off this archer." 

I think having a healer helps. The AI is good at healing at least. The only time they have a lot of trouble is with blue mages. >.> They always try to get Ike to handle them. Meanwhile Soren watches in horror as his lover dies...

1 minute ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I honestly don't know how they've made it to the final map. When I WATCH them, good things happen. When I leave them to their own devices, stupid things happen. Like the AI thought it was a good idea to let Mist tank blows from Leon and do chip damage in return while everyone else just crammed behind her. (Leon was on the other side of a wall.) IDK why the AI wouldn't think, "Let's move the healer and use the sturdy mage to finish off this archer." 

I think having a healer helps. The AI is good at healing at least. The only time they have a lot of trouble is with blue mages. >.> They always try to get Ike to handle them. Meanwhile Soren watches in horror as his lover dies...

The AI just follows simple rules for how to play.

If an enemy is in attack range and a unit doesn't have to move to attack and there is no more advantageous position to attack from (fortification tiles, Spurs, obstacles), it will attack. If an enemy is in attack range, it will attack. If someone can Rally the attacker, it Rallies before attacking. If a unit ended its turn in range of the enemy at a disadvantage, it uses assists on the unit. If nothing is in range, move towards the enemy the unit can do the most damage to while avoiding the attack range of other enemies.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The AI just follows simple rules for how to play.

If an enemy is in attack range and a unit doesn't have to move to attack and there is no more advantageous position to attack from (fortification tiles, Spurs, obstacles), it will attack. If an enemy is in attack range, it will attack. If someone can Rally the attacker, it Rallies before attacking. If a unit ended its turn in range of the enemy at a disadvantage, it uses assists on the unit. If nothing is in range, move towards the enemy the unit can do the most damage to while avoiding the attack range of other enemies.

It would be nice if they programmed them to retreat instead of committing suicide though. Healers actions should have different priority than attackers.

Granted, a smarter AI could make the enemy significantly harder to kill without losing any of your units, so I guess it is a catch 22.

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

When I WATCH them, good things happen.

It's the opposite for me. When I just tap the screen while doing something else they always seem to do really well. When I actually watch them, I see all the bad things that are about to unfold and I will often cancel the auto to make sure they don't happen.

2 hours ago, Zeo said:

I really wouldn't mind them at this point. They are a part of the general pool and the overall frustration of the Tempest has been vastly diluted by the daily bonuses, rewards and essentially +10 Bonus units. They actually made this an incredibly fun and rewarding mode that doesn't get stale after the first week anymore.

My first TT was the one with Clive - Clive was my 4th 5* unit - no matter how bad he is said to be, he was quite helpful, I liked TT. The second TT was awesome - lasted just 1 week and had the very same rewards. Now this one is back to the regular two weeks and I must admit its getting stale for me already. They should just make it last a week, not two. Two is way too long.

Just got my 5* Black Knight!

My team has been Ike, B!Ike, B!Lyn, and Delthea.

So far I've played the first two games each day on the highest Lunatic difficulty (for the x3 bonus) and can make it to the final battle with 3-4 people still alive (health amount varies). They do what damage they can or beat the final boss, if they all die, my Horse Emblem team (Xander, Camus, Cecilia, Reinhardt) will come in a sweep up the rest.

Then for long grinding, I set on auto-battle in the Hard difficulties. Similar results to me playing, but sometimes the AI does really stupid things. It put Delthea in range of an Axe Cavalier. -_- 

Looks like my team (normal Ike, Soren, Rein, Azura) can clear 7 battle lunatic, not on auto-battle, but I'm not particularly busy right now so it's okay. The only problem is that if Ike dies, the rest of the team is just screwed. I should probably train Reinhardt more to somewhat remedy that issue (he currently has no a-skill).

3 hours ago, Kahvi said:

Looks like my team (normal Ike, Soren, Rein, Azura) can clear 7 battle lunatic, not on auto-battle, but I'm not particularly busy right now so it's okay. The only problem is that if Ike dies, the rest of the team is just screwed. I should probably train Reinhardt more to somewhat remedy that issue (he currently has no a-skill).

My Reinhardt doesn't have an A skill either. But with Hone Cavalry boost and a Special ready, +Atk Reinhardt can take down the Black Knight on the first turn. I'm not sure if +Atk matters that much though. If I remember correctly, +Atk Reinhardt with Hone Cavalry boost active deals 72 damage to Black Knight's 78 HP so he might be able to get away with not preserving his Special for BK if he's in range of Goad Cavalry.

Debating if I should actually go for all of the rewards. Currently at ~37,500 points. Kinda burnt out already.

Edited by tobuShogi

Passed 60k, rank 5,416 at the moment. Only 16 more orbs left to get :(

Securing 5k would be really nice for the 8k feathers. It’s ⅖ of a 5★ promotion!

Edited by Vaximillian

Don't know if anyone has noticed but the AI is smart enough to not use a unit's full movement range. I remember on the last map where I was trying to lure Raigh when the Black Knight was diagonally in front of him but Raigh only moved 1 space each time. 

Also, I don't know if this is an AI rule but I've noticed something interesting happen when 2 units(let's call them A & B) have the same positioning Assist skill under the control of auto-battle. It seems like if unit A has used a positioning Assist skill on some random unit X, unit B won't use his/her same Assist skill on unit X. It could just be a coincidence though.

Edited by tobuShogi

I completely messed up 10-5 and took 8 turns and still managed to get an A/A rank on that run. Team Flying Death Princesses is the best.

3 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

Don't know if anyone has noticed but the AI is smart enough to not use a unit's full movement range. I remember on the last map where I was trying to lure Raigh when the Black Knight was diagonally in front of him but Raigh only moved 1 space each time. 

Weird enemy movement is due to assists. If Raigh was acting that way, it's because he was using his Rally skill on the Black Knight.

Currently on 40k, I think I'm making good progress to get all the rewards this time around. The real question is whether I can keep this up or not of course.

I've been using Elincia, Reinhardt, Klein and Ninian for a while, mostly to get Elincia some more SP so I can finish her build (she only needs a special and a C-skill now). I'll probably replace her with Ike when I'm done building her. I have to say, running some physical nukes along side magical nukes is working out pretty well.

3 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

Don't know if anyone has noticed but the AI is smart enough to not use all of its full movement range. I remember on the last map where I was trying to lure Raigh when the Black Knight was diagonally in front of him but Raigh only moved 1 space each time. 

Also, I don't know if this is an AI rule but I've something interesting happen when 2 units(let's call them A & B) have the same positioning Assist skill under auto-battle. It seems like if unit A has used a positioning Assist skill on some random unit X, unit B won't use his/her same Assist skill on unit X.

I think the AI always uses it's full movement if they only walk. If they have walls to break or assists to use it's a different story of course.

I think I've seen my units double reposition a unit (so A repositions X back, and B repositions X further back) on Auto battle. They won't do it with the same Rally of course, since that's meaningless.

32 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

My Reinhardt doesn't have an A skill either. But with Hone Cavalry boost and a Special ready, +Atk Reinhardt can take down the Black Knight on the first turn. I'm not sure if +Atk matters that much though. If I remember correctly, +Atk Reinhardt with Hone Cavalry boost active deals 72 damage to Black Knight's 78 HP so he can get away with not preserving his Special for BK if he's in range of Goad Cavalry.

Debating if I should actually go for all of the rewards. Currently at ~37,500 points. Kinda burnt out already.

Reinhardt (-hp/+atk) would probably be able to take out Black Knight if he'd have cavalry bonuses or blazing thunder, but he's the only horse unit I'm running on this particular team and I switched out his default special for moonbow. He gets pretty close but can't quite ohko Black Knight. So I've just thrown Ike at Black Knight and then taken him out with someone else.

1 hour ago, tobuShogi said:

I remember on the last map where I was trying to lure Raigh when the Black Knight was diagonally in front of him but Raigh only moved 1 space each time. 

Raigh has Rally Atk. The AI loves spamming rallies.