Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Rex Glacies

15 hours ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, that includes Patroka and Mikhail's Blades. Mikhail himself can also be used as a Blade as well. No word on Jin or Malos though. Sever is usable though.

Also, i should clarify some stuff about the patch notes. Basically, all of this:

In New Game+, the following will carry over

• Level
  • Equipment
  • Blades
  • Items and gold
  • Town development
  • Unique Monster graves
  • Merc missions and quests are reset but Merc Level stays the same
  • You can use the Torna Blades. You can either get them by summoning them or through quests
  • Special Blades can be sent on Merc Missions
  • You can lower your EXP at inns so you don't have to worry about cheesing the game in New Game+
  • A certain Blade's (Pneuma probably) Lv.4 Special is unlocked
  • Affinity Charts also carry over. You can reset Driver Affinity Charts to reunlock them but you get stronger bonuses by doing so.

The rest of the stuff affects the entire game, not just New Game+. I'm gonna edit my previous post as well so that it's clearer.

Spoiler

So I'm excited for this tbh, still going to try and 100% everything before the update comes out or rather before I start ng+. But it'd be nice to have all I worked for ready from the get-go. Also I'm really excited to see Pneuma's lvl 4 special as I hoped it would have at least been included via full burst. Also I wonder if it'll get the appropriate Nia blade equivalent combo attack. Probably not since you'd need to have Nia at tier 4 before activating Pneuma. Honestly later down the line I hope they give us (a nerfed) Pneuma as a seperate blade. It obviously wouldn't be canon since look at these blades. But something I'd love to see.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

I kinda doubt that we're getting Jin and Malos as playable Blades. Unlike Obrona, Sever, Akhos and Patroka the former left nothing of himself after his death (the Blades left their Core Crystal, Akhos' and Patroka's corpse are still there) and he was a temporarily playable character like Malos. Obviously the latter can't be playable since he is comfortably waiting in the Aion Artifice as the Final Boss.

... so does being a Blade Eater make you a Blade yourself? So you have now a Core Crystal and stuff?
While I can see Flesh Eaters being able to return into Core Crystal form, since that it is their origin and nothing really points that they aren't able to, Mikhail is going to be really strange lore-wise. Does that mean, Pandora's Core Crystal gives you now Zeke and her?

14 minutes ago, Zeratul said:
  Hide contents

I kinda doubt that we're getting Jin and Malos as playable Blades. Unlike Obrona, Sever, Akhos and Patroka the former left nothing of himself after his death (the Blades left their Core Crystal, Akhos' and Patroka's corpse are still there) and he was a temporarily playable character like Malos. Obviously the latter can't be playable since he is comfortably waiting in the Aion Artifice as the Final Boss.

... so does being a Blade Eater make you a Blade yourself? So you have now a Core Crystal and stuff?
While I can see Flesh Eaters being able to return into Core Crystal form, since that it is their origin and nothing really points that they aren't able to, Mikhail is going to be really strange lore-wise. Does that mean, Pandora's Core Crystal gives you now Zeke and her?

Spoiler

Actually, the developers specifically mentioned that getting the Torna Blades will break the continuity (since it's possible to get them early on in the story via Core Crystals) but New Game+ is prioritizing fun over story continuity.

Which means you can potentially have Ahkos fight Ahkos.

1 minute ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

So any tips on maxamizing blade affinity or do I just have to stuff them with favorite items until they love me?

Depends on the Blade. If it's Zenobia, for example, then just kill a bunch of Uniques and do her Merc Missions. 

Most Blades can be maxed out with the favorite items though. Being able to skip their voice lines makes that a hell of a lot faster.

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Depends on the Blade. If it's Zenobia, for example, then just kill a bunch of Uniques and do her Merc Missions. 

Most Blades can be maxed out with the favorite items though. Being able to skip their voice lines makes that a hell of a lot faster.

Oh man I am so glad I found that out when I did.

well yeah I know for certain blades it's a lot easier like with Boreas 

I just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and despite my initial hype of the game, I currently find it not to my tastes. I find that the original and X are superior to 2 based off of my first impressions (Just beat Morag in Gormott). The music is amazing, story is all right, and the characters are enjoyable, but navigation, combat, and the Blade System are not doing it for me...

My current problems with the title...
1. Blades and Combat - I had my reservations about the system before and now that I am playing it seems my reservations were justified. I am not finding the combat enjoyable compared to 1 and X (and I absolutely adored X's combat). This may be because I am still early in the game, but the idea of switching blades and pulling off special combos are not interesting to me. It also seems slow and clunky. While I appreciate tactical combat, I am not feeling it at the moment.
2. Map Navigation - While the map does have some improvements, the amount of verticality in 2 makes the map and compass a bit useless. I could be trying to get to a certain point only to discover it is on a different level.
3. Field Skills - Honestly I find the whole Field Skills thing pointless and frustrating. I understand their implementation in X and it made sense there, but why create such a system in 2? I get one wants to do some backtracking to lower level areas when at high level, but having it tie in with leveling Blades sucks.

39 minutes ago, Sire said:

Blades and Combat - I had my reservations about the system before and now that I am playing it seems my reservations were justified. I am not finding the combat enjoyable compared to 1 and X (and I absolutely adored X's combat). This may be because I am still early in the game, but the idea of switching blades and pulling off special combos are not interesting to me. It also seems slow and clunky. While I appreciate tactical combat, I am not feeling it at the moment.

It's feeling slow because you're still early in the game. Combat doesn't fully open up until the beginning of Ch.4 and that's because the game gradually teaches the mechanics. Once the third Blade slot opens up, combat becomes much more enjoyable (that's about 20 hours into the game, which is a drop in the bucket for Xenoblade standards). You're about to enter Ch.3 so you'll be learning Chain Attacks soon (Chain Attacks are much more satisfying compared to it's 1 counterpart). Combat gets even better once you unlock that "Art cancel into Art" skill. I can't compare it to X, as i've never played, but i find that it absolutely nukes 1's combat out of the water.

39 minutes ago, Sire said:

Field Skills - Honestly I find the whole Field Skills thing pointless and frustrating. I understand their implementation in X and it made sense there, but why create such a system in 2? I get one wants to do some backtracking to lower level areas when at high level, but having it tie in with leveling Blades sucks.

Thankfully, Field Skills aren't that required for the main story. If they are, you either have ways around it or the Skills you'll need will be given to you by Blades you obtain via the story. I do dislike how some Field Skills are required for the story at all but the issue isn't the Skills themselves but how they are used. Having to temporarily remove your current Blades to open up a path gets annoying. That said, they shouldn't be an issue where you're currently at.

Edited by Armagon

I got to Chapter 10 and here's a fun anecdote

Spoiler

Nia wasn't up to my level because she's been in Blade form the entire time. Had I known she doesn't earn exp as a Blade I would never have used the blade version of her. It was that ignorance that made that fight manageable. Morag was the real roadblock. Because even though I virtually never used her, I still gave her bonus exp just because. Things seemed dire, but a google search on this fight revealed an exploit where you get her stuck on some railing and then attack her from long distance with an ether cannon. This sounded like something hard to set up, but I got it immediately, the AI is just that incompetent.

Anyway what's got me stewing now is the Final Boss' insta kill move. No, the other one, Prometheus. I guess you're supposed to do a chain attack to avoid it, but as luck would have it I reached the trigger for this move by using a chain attack. So survival wasn't an option even if I knew what Prometheus would be. Other than this, it's a surprisingly honest final boss compared to what I had been dreading. 

On 2/13/2018 at 4:44 AM, Glennstavos said:

Hide contents

Nia wasn't up to my level because she's been in Blade form the entire time. Had I known she doesn't earn exp as a Blade I would never have used the blade version of her. It was that ignorance that made that fight manageable. Morag was the real roadblock. Because even though I virtually never used her, I still gave her bonus exp just because. Things seemed dire, but a google search on this fight revealed an exploit where you get her stuck on some railing and then attack her from long distance with an ether cannon. This sounded like something hard to set up, but I got it immediately, the AI is just that incompetent.

Anyway what's got me stewing now is the Final Boss' insta kill move. No, the other one, Prometheus. I guess you're supposed to do a chain attack to avoid it, but as luck would have it I reached the trigger for this move by using a chain attack. So survival wasn't an option even if I knew what Prometheus would be. Other than this, it's a surprisingly honest final boss compared to what I had been dreading. 

Chapter 10 spoilers :

Spoiler

Nia still gains experience as a blade, but it's all treated as Bonus EXP, so you need to rest at an inn to level her up.

And I keep seeing people state how hard the fight against the party was, which surprise me since I didn't even need a retry against them. I guess it must have been my blade comp on Rex. With two tanks and a healer, he was able to deal with everyone no problem.

The other option to dodge a one-hit kill move is to use either a level 4 Special or a Blade combo finisher. Both will act like a chain attack and allow you to evade all attacks. Though my trick for the Final Boss was just to use a party comp that allowed me to stack multiple orb and then use a chain attack with Pneuma the moment I got all 8 orbs on Aion. 

Music datamines have started.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/380421804252069891/413816273617551370/Drifting_Souls.mp3

Now you can get the full version of Drifting Soul. If you had been listening to it on YouTube, chances are it was the shortened version that played in Ch.10.

WELL SHIT

Turns out Monolith Soft found a bug in the patch, so they're delaying it until March 2nd/3rd. Good on them for fixing it but damn it, i was really looking forward to New Game+ this weekend.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

WELL SHIT

Turns out Monolith Soft found a bug in the patch, so they're delaying it until March 2nd/3rd. Good on them for fixing it but damn it, i was really looking forward to New Game+ this weekend.

Uhh, what was the bug?

3 hours ago, Zeratul said:

By the way all the new Blades have unique weapon types, right?

Yep

Spoiler

Sever has......whatever it is. Sever's weapon seemed to morph between a straightsword, a backhanded curved edge and a shield (based on how he was used by Malos). He's a Tank. Element is Wind.

Obrona has the dual swords and is of the Electric element. She's an Attacker.

Cressidus is of the Earth element and uses the Shield Arms. He's an obvious Tank.

Predido is the most interesting one. He's of the Fire Element but i don't know what weapons he'll be actually using since he's got four of them. He's an Attacker.

As for the Torna members themselves

Akhos is Electric, uses a Bow, and is a Healer.

Patroka is Earth, uses a Polearm, and is an Attacker.

Mikhail is Dark, uses a Fan, and is a Tank.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Mythra and Seiren are getting figurines alongside Pyra.

I did not know about Seiren so more to flip out about.

On 2/13/2018 at 4:44 AM, Glennstavos said:

Hide contents

So funny thing I've learned is (and works here), you can dodge all one hit kill moves by moving to the side and you'll barely live or run out of it's range, I've done that and they just sit there until they go back to neutral position. I did that on the final boss and ended up killing it without a chain attack due to this being postgame. But yeah that's a strat, That part did anger me first time through so on the second attempt I made sure to end the final boss.

On 2/14/2018 at 7:40 PM, LuxSpes said:

Chapter 10 spoilers :

Hide contents

Nia still gains experience as a blade, but it's all treated as Bonus EXP, so you need to rest at an inn to level her up.

Ah, I figured that might have been the case but never bothered to check.

Beat the game on the night following my previous post. Since the game took me 70 hours of play time across two months I kind of feel compelled to say something about it, but nothing is coming to me besides individual things I liked or didn't like. And I'm aware that my tastes in this genre do not run parallel with sentiments I've seen on these forums.  I do feel proud of having finished the game however. At first I attributed this feat to the Switch. I love this weird console. Whenever I finish a chapter and have a half hour of cutscenes ahead of me, bam, sleep mode. I don't feel compelled to play the game in long bursts like I would with a home console rpg. If I've got five minutes to check in on the game, game says no problem.

The truth is that Xenoblade 2 uses a battle system design that I knew I wouldn't like based on other games. But with some effort I still made it to the end. That must be a mark of quality. I feel like the game put out exactly as much as I put into it, and that's an incredibly rare feeling for an RPG. It's the reason I gravitate toward more kinetic action oriented games. Ten minutes into Xenoblade 2 I noticed I could cut off auto attack animation frames with an art. Probably a small exploit, yeah? Then the game tells me in a tutorial some time after "yeah, that's an intended mechanic, we want you to be doing that". It's so validating how much player input matters as you build art cancels into specials into blade combos into chain attacks.

So that's that.

Sorry @Armagon, but I couldn't help myself. I put XB1 on the backburner because, honestly, the Mechonis section of the game is a chore, and 2 is flat out more fun. I forgot how hard it could be to even see what was happening in combat sometimes in the Wii game. I'll still grit my teeth and trudge through it at some point, but I have enough frustration in my life currently, and XB2 has a kind of narrative momentum pushing me to keep going for the time being.

I'm currently treading water in Ch. 8, trying to find the last several unique monsters to slay for Zenobia's affinity chart (I can't believe how lucky I got in getting her fairly early on), and I have to say, it feels like I must have left the game running while doing some household chores or something, because my playtime is about to hit 120 hours, and I feel like I've got a crap ton of sidequests I haven't even touched yet.

56 minutes ago, Omegaprism said:

it feels like I must have left the game running while doing some household chores or something, because my playtime is about to hit 120 hours, and I feel like I've got a crap ton of sidequests I haven't even touched yet.

That actually might be what happened. If you put the Switch into sleep mode as the game is running, it'll keep counting the hours. But if you go into the home menu (without necessarily closing the game) and then go into sleep mode, the game stops counting the hours. If you want to find out how many hours you've actually put in, your Switch profile should provide more accurate numbers. But yeah, you probably still have have a good chunk of quests left regardless. Most of them are Blade quests, probably. I finished the main story at about 90-ish hours and i spent the next 30 or so doing quests and hunting Uniques and all that fun stuff. Now i'm at 292 hours and i still have some quests i need to finish up (i haven't because they require Field Skill checks and i don't feel like bothering with those) and i'm still missing Electra and KOS-MOS.

Spoiler
On 17.2.2018 at 3:47 AM, Armagon said:

He's of the Fire Element but i don't know what weapons he'll be actually using since he's got four of them.

Patroka uses the cannon so probably that.

Farming for gold Burst Symbols is not fun.
Those goddamn Buffalos should just drop the loot so I can leave them at peace.