Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Rex Glacies

7 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Welp. People have datamined stuff about Challenge Mode. Brief details:

Hide contents

Seems to be called Bringer of Chaos mode, massively buffs enemies (every unique monster is over level 100), chain attacks deal half damage.

Also, there are two unannounced Blades that seem to be exclusive to it. Spoiler within a spoiler:

Hide contents

one that's wind elemental with the twin rings animation set (though likely not that weapon type, as Obrona uses them with her katanas) that focuses on increasing crit rate and another that's light elemental with shield hammer animations and has powerful full-party buffs while bringing a whole new game mechanic to the table. As for their identity...

Hide contents

Wind "twin rings": Fiora
Light "hammer": Shulk 

Spoiler

Assuming all of this is legit, i find it rather strange that Shulk is being the "Shield Hammer". Then again, the Monado is rather bulky so it makes sense.  I'm guessing the new game mechanic is the Visions?

Of course, Shulk being a DLC Blade makes a lot of sense. Fiora too they're gonna use Mecha-Fiora, aren't they?

Also, i did hear about the Bringer of Chaos datamine and what you can do with it. Turns out that that, following that datamine i posted earlier, these are the various ways you can customize the game's difficulty

There's a lot of options here and some of the difficulty options look brutal. Pneuma draining the entire Party Gauge, Chain Attack nerf, less heals. There's a lot here that can make future runs interesting, assuming this is all legit.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

Assuming all of this is legit, i find it rather strange that Shulk is being the "Shield Hammer". Then again, the Monado is rather bulky so it makes sense.  I'm guessing the new game mechanic is the Visions?

Of course, Shulk being a DLC Blade makes a lot of sense. Fiora too they're gonna use Mecha-Fiora, aren't they?

Also, i did hear about the Bringer of Chaos datamine and what you can do with it. Turns out that that, following that datamine i posted earlier, these are the various ways you can customize the game's difficulty

There's a lot of options here and some of the difficulty options look brutal. Pneuma draining the entire Party Gauge, Chain Attack nerf, less heals. There's a lot here that can make future runs interesting, assuming this is all legit.

Yep, visions. And Mechon Fiora's kinda the more popular one, though watch it be a weirdo fusion of both designs.

There's also data for a light katana, but it seems like one of the DLC blades (especially since you can make out a katana strapped to their backs in a silhouette). Also, fire bitball.

And that's really interesting. Going to let you do a lot of crazy stuff.

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yep, visions. And Mechon Fiora's kinda the more popular one, though watch it be a weirdo fusion of both designs.

There's also data for a light katana, but it seems like one of the DLC blades (especially since you can make out a katana strapped to their backs in a silhouette). Also, fire bitball.

And that's really interesting. Going to let you do a lot of crazy stuff.

Spoiler

So Shulk, Fiora, unnamed Light Katana and unnamed Fire Bitball Blade. Along with Poppibuster and T-elos, that makes 6 DLC Blades (T-elos is free but she's still DLC). Other than Poppibuster, since anyone can use her, that leaves enough DLC Blades for all Driver to have at least one (except Tora for obvious reasons).

I wonder if Shulk and Fiora are gonna be free. They could've made T-elos paid DLC but they didn't. Of course, i can totally see Shulk, at least, being paid DLC since it's Shulk and that's just free money for Monolith Soft. But given the way they've handled things in the past, i can just as equally see Shulk being free. I'm guessing we'll learn more at E3.

On a side note, really glad that more Light Blades are being brought in. Before, it just used to be Mythra, KOS-MOS, and Light Mod Poppi. 

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

So Shulk, Fiora, unnamed Light Katana and unnamed Fire Bitball Blade. Along with Poppibuster and T-elos, that makes 6 DLC Blades (T-elos is free but she's still DLC). Other than Poppibuster, since anyone can use her, that leaves enough DLC Blades for all Driver to have at least one (except Tora for obvious reasons).

I wonder if Shulk and Fiora are gonna be free. They could've made T-elos paid DLC but they didn't. Of course, i can totally see Shulk, at least, being paid DLC since it's Shulk and that's just free money for Monolith Soft. But given the way they've handled things in the past, i can just as equally see Shulk being free. I'm guessing we'll learn more at E3.

On a side note, really glad that more Light Blades are being brought in. Before, it just used to be Mythra, KOS-MOS, and Light Mod Poppi. 

From what I understood, Shulk and Fiora were both free-- just exclusive to Bringer of Chaos mode.

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Reveal hidden contents

From what I understood, Shulk and Fiora were both free-- just exclusive to Bringer of Chaos mode.

Spoiler

Would be a bit strange if they were both locked to a difficulty mode. Unless......the description for the Challenge Mode states that you'll "make new friends". You think it could be referring to that?

Source for the datamine? I'm interested to read it further if there is any information.

As for my response to it...

Spoiler

Shulk and Fiora, eh? I sincerely hope Fiora can be an auto-attack machine like in the original. Having her do double attacks that crit & heal is insane. I also sincerely wonder what their Heart to Hearts will be, alongside other interactions with the XC2 cast (and each other). Long Hair Fiora or bust.

I am definitely not prepared for Bringer of Chaos mode. That seems like NG++ to me (one normal playthrough, one NG+ playthrough that does superbosses and postgame content, and a Bringer of Chaos playthrough using a maxed out team throughout the story.) I don't know if Bringer of Chaos is the "custom difficulty" or is the "Super Hard Insane Difficulty MAX," but right now I'm trying to finish up on my first normal playthrough.

All that I want to finish up are Ursula's sidequest and the Bana's Revenge quest chain. The Field Skill quests can wait until NG+, especially since I can swap out "story" blades to easier meat the requirements. I can also raise that Armu that I slaughtered on accident because of the grail icon over its head...

Those leaks are beautiful. Just waiting for all this to be confirmed to finally buy the season pass. I've held off in case the story content wasn't too interesting, but all the new info is very cool.

So we got some more datamine goodies, including things regarding the story DLC.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xenoblade-chronicles-2-further-datamine-details-story-dlc-major-spoilers.41595/

Spoiler

The story DLC is set in the Aegis War (no surprise there). However, gameplay-wise, it's going to play a bit differently than the main game, which is why i kinda doubt this. Instead of the Driver-Blade mechanic, you control the characters directly and they each have 7 Arts, so it'll be playing more like XC1 and X. That's kinda the reason i doubt this because it's a derpature from XC2's battle system. However, looking at it, it does make sense. I don't know why but even before this, i wondered how they were going to incorporate the Core Crystals into the prequel story and honestly, i just don't see it. 7 Arts each also makes sense. The three Blade slots are replaced with Arts and the original Arts+Blade Special buttons are still there, allowing for 7 attacks.

There's also Blade data for Haze, Jin and Malos, matching up with the previosu datamine info. Besides, i think we all expected those three to be playable Blades eventually pour one out for Bomber Dolmes though.

We also have info on the Challenge Mode enemies and this also matches up with previous datamine info.

• Lv.150 Gogol
  • Lv.140 Cloud Sea King Ken
  • Lv.135 Nameless Sentinel, a unique Artifice Colosuss
  • Lv.120 Rosa (another chance to hear Song of Giga Rosa)
  • Lv.115 Garlus General, apparently from a Challenge Mode mission where the Garlux, Igna and Tirkin tribes join foces
  • Lv.115 Gogol
  • Lv.113 Igna General, also from the Challenge Mode
  • Lv.112 Ardainain Citadel, a unique Titan Weapon monster
  • Lv.110 Gyario (one of those Sorvereign enemies from the World Tree, specifically, the Areks)
  • Lv.110 Tirkin General from the Challenge Mode
  • Lv.108 Runaway Train Bool, now has a Blade
  • Lv.108 Ardainain Fighter, a unique Titan Gunship monster
  • Lv.106 Blue Aligo
  • Lv.106 Gyario (Sorvereign enemy, specifically like the Gerolf)
  • Lv.106 Ahaid Garlus
  • Lv.106 Atrocious Hermes, now has a Blade
  • Lv.105 Fiar Garlus
  • Lv.104 Zext Garlus
  • Lv.104 Wall Igna
  • Lv.103 Jenth Garlus
  • Lv.102 Dual Igna
  • Lv.102 Gogol
  • Lv.102 Gyario (this one only has a debug name called "Vacum Cleaner", leaving it's species unclear)
  • Lv.102 Blue Crustip
  • Lv.101 Telen Igna
  • Lv.100 Shield Tirkin
  • Lv.100 "Mini Rosa"
  • Lv.100 Skyfist Remington
  • Lv.100 Archer Igna
  • Lv.100 Regodos Totem

As you can see, some of the enemy names use the generic species name so it could just be placeholders or it could actually be normal enemies that are Lv.100 or higher. That Lv.150 Gogol is definitely a Unique though. It has to be.

And on the more miscellaneous side, the glowing lights on the World Tree when Klaus activates the final gift have words in them:

a0Tkyqmj.jpg:large

71Auxh65.jpg:large

Translation

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. The foolish despise wisdom as well as doctrine"

"Listen, my son, to the discipline of your father, and forsake not the law of your mother"

"So that grace may be added to your head and a collar to your neck"

And last but not least

5lb2Qz_6.jpg:large

The internal game files list the Conduit as the Zohar, which absolute sense given that Conduit is exactly that. Why they couldn't name the Conduit the "Zohar" even in the Japanese version is beyond me. Zohar isn't a trademarked term, otherwise, Takahashi wouldn't have been able to use it for Xenosaga as it's original appearance was in Xenogears.

I really hope all of this legit and because we were provided some images, i do think that's the case. Take it with a grain of salt regardless though but if it really is real, then God damn, we have a lot of content coming soon. 

Edited by Armagon

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

So we got some more datamine goodies, including things regarding the story DLC.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xenoblade-chronicles-2-further-datamine-details-story-dlc-major-spoilers.41595/

Reveal hidden contents

The story DLC is set in the Aegis War (no surprise there). However, gameplay-wise, it's going to play a bit differently than the main game, which is why i kinda doubt this. Instead of the Driver-Blade mechanic, you control the characters directly and they each have 7 Arts, so it'll be playing more like XC1 and X. That's kinda the reason i doubt this because it's a derpature from XC2's battle system. However, looking at it, it does make sense. I don't know why but even before this, i wondered how they were going to incorporate the Core Crystals into the prequel story and honestly, i just don't see it. 7 Arts each also makes sense. The three Blade slots are replaced with Arts and the original Arts+Blade Special buttons are still there, allowing for 7 attacks.

There's also Blade data for Haze, Jin and Malos, matching up with the previosu datamine info. Besides, i think we all expected those three to be playable Blades eventually pour one out for Bomber Dolmes though.

We also have info on the Challenge Mode enemies and this also matches up with previous datamine info.

• Lv.150 Gogol
  • Lv.140 Cloud Sea King Ken
  • Lv.135 Nameless Sentinel, a unique Artifice Colosuss
  • Lv.120 Rosa (another chance to hear Song of Giga Rosa)
  • Lv.115 Garlus General, apparently from a Challenge Mode mission where the Garlux, Igna and Tirkin tribes join foces
  • Lv.115 Gogol
  • Lv.113 Igna General, also from the Challenge Mode
  • Lv.112 Ardainain Citadel, a unique Titan Weapon monster
  • Lv.110 Gyario (one of those Sorvereign enemies from the World Tree, specifically, the Areks)
  • Lv.110 Tirkin General from the Challenge Mode
  • Lv.108 Runaway Train Bool, now has a Blade
  • Lv.108 Ardainain Fighter, a unique Titan Gunship monster
  • Lv.106 Blue Aligo
  • Lv.106 Gyario (Sorvereign enemy, specifically like the Gerolf)
  • Lv.106 Ahaid Garlus
  • Lv.106 Atrocious Hermes, now has a Blade
  • Lv.105 Fiar Garlus
  • Lv.104 Zext Garlus
  • Lv.104 Wall Igna
  • Lv.103 Jenth Garlus
  • Lv.102 Dual Igna
  • Lv.102 Gogol
  • Lv.102 Gyario (this one only has a debug name called "Vacum Cleaner", leaving it's species unclear)
  • Lv.102 Blue Crustip
  • Lv.101 Telen Igna
  • Lv.100 Shield Tirkin
  • Lv.100 "Mini Rosa"
  • Lv.100 Skyfist Remington
  • Lv.100 Archer Igna
  • Lv.100 Regodos Totem

As you can see, some of the enemy names use the generic species name so it could just be placeholders or it could actually be normal enemies that are Lv.100 or higher. That Lv.150 Gogol is definitely a Unique though. It has to be.

And on the more miscellaneous side, the glowing lights on the World Tree when Klaus activates the final gift have words in them:

a0Tkyqmj.jpg:large

71Auxh65.jpg:large

Translation

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. The foolish despise wisdom as well as doctrine"

"Listen, my son, to the discipline of your father, and forsake not the law of your mother"

"So that grace may be added to your head and a collar to your neck"

And last but not least

5lb2Qz_6.jpg:large

The internal game files list the Conduit as the Zohar, which absolute sense given that Conduit is exactly that. Why they couldn't name the Conduit the "Zohar" even in the Japanese version is beyond me. Zohar isn't a trademarked term, otherwise, Takahashi wouldn't have been able to use it for Xenosaga as it's original appearance was in Xenogears.

I really hope all of this legit and because we were provided some images, i do think that's the case. Take it with a grain of salt regardless though but if it really is real, then God damn, we have a lot of content coming soon. 

Spoiler

That is from proverbs 1:7-10

In more plain English (from a Greco-Russo-Arab tradition) it explains that the fear of God is the first step in perceiving or contacting God and obtaining the wisdom of God.  The foolish do not fear God and can not perceive Him and therefore have neither an understanding of his wisdom or an appreciation of it and may despise those that do.

The next verse is a petition to follow the will of God and the laws of God’s earthly representatives: the Temple, Israel, and King Solomon (or the church in the 21st century) as it will set the worshiper on the right path toward discovery.

The final verse explains that followers who remain true to the path will receive their final reward in heaven, or the afterlife and encourages followers to revere one another for their dedication.

...I miss that he cut this stuff out from the direct dialogue.  I can understand why, but when he was more direct about it, he was basically dropping spoilers left and right.

I got my ng+ save data finished, found the last nopon coin and see only one legendary crystal in my inventory...and ended up getting Zenobia and now I have to gear her up and maybe unlock her next trust level before ng+...sooo close.

Spoiler

I personally think that we're jumping the gun in our assumptions about the identities of the mystery Blades that are slated for a future release.

I said it on another community, and I'll say it here.

Edited by Just call me AL

11 hours ago, Just call me AL said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I personally think that we're jumping the gun in our assumptions about the identities of the mystery Blades that are slated for a future release.

I said it on another community, and I'll say it here.

Spoiler

I'd agree, except we have visual confirmation on Visions so that confirms Shulk at least

HOmwWmml.jpg?width=400&height=225

To activate a Vision, you need to win the QTE, like in the battle against Zanza in XC1. Now, obviously, Shulk isn't in the game yet but his data is.

Man, the grind for Ursula's quest sucks. I wanted to get that quest done before NG+, and she basically has me anchored here while I wait on the accursed Merc Missions and their timers. At least I got 80 in Vocals and about 70 in Soul and Looks, so I should be nearing the end of this... (Also insert mandatory complaints about Field Skills.)

I don't know if I can take on Artifice Ophion so I can get those Block chips. I can farm Moon Matter chips from King Ken easily, but I haven't tried the other superbosses yet since my party is just level 86.

Otherwise, I guess I can run around and try to fill out Zenobia's Affinity Chart so she can get crazy damage bonuses. It's a shame she doesn't seem to fill them out while doing Merc Missions (at least for me). Alternatively, I start looking into where I can get those endgame accessories.

3 minutes ago, Sire said:

I don't know if I can take on Artifice Ophion so I can get those Block chips. I can farm Moon Matter chips from King Ken easily, but I haven't tried the other superbosses yet since my party is just level 86.

I recommend taking on the Squoods that appear in Tantal's lower regions during an Ether Mist. They aren't particularly strong and they give a ton of EXP. It's thanks to them that i was able to quickly max out.

As for Ophion, yeah, he's a tough one. You wanna fight him in that little enclosed space next to the stairs to prevent yourself or your teammates from accidentally walking off the edge. 

Oh man, the Ursula quest is such a friggin' grind. It'a great for quickly gaining affinity with common blades, though.

I've been sitting on my game in chapter 8 because I feel like I have to complete the charts for a bunch of my rare blades or their related side quests will reset or glitch out (although that got patched, right?).  Am I worrying needlessly? Should I just finish the story and power through on new game plus? Apparently it's just way more convenient.

5 hours ago, Omegaprism said:

Oh man, the Ursula quest is such a friggin' grind. It'a great for quickly gaining affinity with common blades, though.

I've been sitting on my game in chapter 8 because I feel like I have to complete the charts for a bunch of my rare blades or their related side quests will reset or glitch out (although that got patched, right?).  Am I worrying needlessly? Should I just finish the story and power through on new game plus? Apparently it's just way more convenient.

You should, at the very least, finish Ursula's quest before starting New Game+, as the quests reset (but not the Affinity Chart). Though the fact that you still have story left is a good thing as it gives you something to do while you finish up Ursula's quest.

6 hours ago, Omegaprism said:

In addition to what Armagon said, there are some things you're advised to do before starting New Game Plus...

• Complete KOS-MOS's quest (if you have her), as it rewards aux crystals that can't be obtained any other way.
  • There's a level 117 boss in the postgame that grants exclusive core chips if you think you can beat it.
  • You should feed the baby Ardun in Gormott until it becomes the Relentless Aruduran (as it is the best source of legendary core crystals), or if you killed it early you can collect the food it needs before starting NG+.

Blade sidequests reset, but affinity charts don't. There was a glitch involving Dagas disappearing in New Game Plus but it was fixed in version 1.4.0.

Edited by Lightchao42

13 hours ago, Sire said:

I don't know if I can take on Artifice Ophion so I can get those Block chips. I can farm Moon Matter chips from King Ken easily, but I haven't tried the other superbosses yet since my party is just level 86

Go to Temperantia and face some Saurus enemies there. They are around ~90 and give tons of EXP. They are not even hard to fight either, your standard Driver combo or Chain Attack will demolish them in no time.
That way you get to 99 very easily.

Ophion needs a bit of planning but he is doable even if you are under-leveled if you learn his moves.
Despite having no regular attacks his Arts are almost AoE-based and he has 2 moves which can wipe your party out (1 even instantly). You really need to abuse IF on this fight otherwise you're pretty much doomed. Ursula can help to keep your team alive through most of his attacks.
It is absolutely mandatory to have Reflect immunity on your Blades because at some point that bastard turns on his shield for a moment which insta-kills every party member that dares to attack. Not only does it waste your time but you lose party gauge for an emergency Chain Attack or to revive your PC character.

21 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Complete KOS-MOS's quest (if you have her), as it rewards aux crystals that can't be obtained any other way.

Regarding this, apparently a datamine revealed that you'll be able to receive the Aux Cores that the KOS-MOS quest gives you through other means. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/8j3z06/vi_aux_cores/

So i personally wouldn't worry about not doing KOS-MOS' quest before NG+.

I still don't have KOS-MOS.

Okay, so I have a used copy of this game coming in the mail and I'm new to Xenoblade games. Anything I should know before playing it? I know Xenoblade gameplay can take some getting used to. I'm fine with that. I had to learn to get used to Warriors and Arms gameplay too, so... And this game has a lot to do and is pretty open world. But anything else?

No story spoilers please!

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, so I have a used copy of this game coming in the mail and I'm new to Xenoblade games. Anything I should know before playing it? I know Xenoblade gameplay can take some getting used to. I'm fine with that. I had to learn to get used to Warriors and Arms gameplay too, so... And this game has a lot to do and is pretty open world. But anything else?

To transfer a Blade from one Driver to another, you'll need an item called an Overdrive Protocol. There's a finite supply of them (though you can grind for them, it's just not ideal) so use them carefully.

While the game has great tutorials, it doesn't let you review it so screenshot every tutorial in case you ever need to review.

The third Blade slot doesn't open up until the start of Ch.4 so combat is gonna feel limited for the first three chapters. You also won't be able to do somethings with the combat (such as Chain Attacks) until after the game has taught you how to do it. By Ch.4 though, mostly everything will be available to you.

Save regularly. While it hasn't happened to me, people have reported crashes and losing even one hour of progress in a JRPG is not fun.

When you get to the final boss, save before fighting it and then exit out of the game and turn off the console. Then turn it back on. This is because there's a memory leak issue that causes the final cutscene after the boss to have the framerate of a Powerpoint presentation and the solution is what i just described.

There's a baby Armu in Torigoth. Don't kill it. Feed it until it becomes a Lv.99 Unique Monster. Then kill it.

Do sidequests regularly. If you don't, you'll end up underleveled.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

To transfer a Blade from one Driver to another, you'll need an item called an Overdrive Protocol. There's a finite supply of them (though you can grind for them, it's just not ideal) so use them carefully.

While the game has great tutorials, it doesn't let you review it so screenshot every tutorial in case you ever need to review.

The third Blade slot doesn't open up until the start of Ch.4 so combat is gonna feel limited for the first three chapters. You also won't be able to do somethings with the combat (such as Chain Attacks) until after the game has taught you how to do it. By Ch.4 though, mostly everything will be available to you.

Save regularly. While it hasn't happened to me, people have reported crashes and losing even one hour of progress in a JRPG is not fun.

When you get to the final boss, save before fighting it and then exit out of the game and turn off the console. Then turn it back on. This is because there's a memory leak issue that causes the final cutscene after the boss to have the framerate of a Powerpoint presentation and the solution is what i just described.

There's a baby Armu in Torigoth. Don't kill it. Feed it until it becomes a Lv.99 Unique Monster. Then kill it.

Do sidequests regularly. If you don't, you'll end up underleveled.

Okay, thanks. Saving regularly is something I always do in my games though, just saying.

Non-reviewable tutorials isn't cool though imo. Though then again, FE's weren't ever reviewable either, I think, so it might not be a big deal.

Shouldn't they make a patch to fix that memory leak issue though? :/

Edited by Anacybele

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Shouldn't they make a patch to fix that memory leak issue though? :/

The memory leak issue is the fault of the hardware itself, not the game. 

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The memory leak issue is the fault of the hardware itself, not the game. 

Oh, okay, then I guess a patch for the Switch itself? Because that sounds like an annoying issue.

16 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I can also add that the expansion pass doesn’t add that much right now, there are a lot of early to late game benefits it gives you but they aren’t really necessary to finishing the game.  There are some more side quests but they lack story substance but they do give you a substantial reward.  The only thing nice about it right now is the extra blade and quest with it.  Don’t feel you have to have it to fully enjoy the game.

When you start a new game the blade gacha system will put you on one of four rng tables to make each playthrough unique as far as what blades you get.

Explore - a lot.  Take your time while playing.  The game puts a lot of emphasis on exploration and discovery so wandering around finding chests and new locations is something you will be spending a lot of time doing.

You should also expect to find overleveled adversaries best avoided, there’s a over 80 optional boss in a early game area.  You can also find areas you shouldn’t be capable of exploring when you first find them because the enemies are levels tougher than you.  This is something of a tradition in Xenoblade games.

The pacing is also very slow, it will be several chapters before everything unlocks.  The story is also slow moving until around mid game.  This is very much a ymmv game you may not like it, you may enjoy it a lot, you may just like it enough for a playthrough and shelf it.