Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Rex Glacies

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, blah the Prussian said:

One thing I noticed from the trailer is that the (presumed) Emperor of More Ardain is wearing a suit of armor, as opposed to Morag and Niall's more WWI era military uniforms. Could this mean that technology in general is scaled down from the base game?

This spot in the timeline probably should be more technologically advanced. Torna and Judicium were said to be more advanced nations and the old Torna equipment found in Tantal seems to confirm that.

I think the medieval armor is just a way to set Hugo apart from his descendants. 

nAX1N5WBrOohGxPqljH-uZ2InJpRQ3a0OPftwX-A

Monolith Soft didn't forget them after all.

Anyway, i watched Treehouse footage of the story DLC and, Torna looks massive. Like

5ZZ01q8.png

Over there in the distance is the Tornan capital

sZvpocx.png

And that forest in the distance is where they started. And from the trailer, we know there's a sandy-beach like area that's pretty big. Whether that's also a part of Torna or a different Titan remains to be seen.

We also do go back to Gormott except a major difference is that Torigoth doesn't exist. They did say that while they don't know how many Titans from the main game will appear, he thinks that there will be at least two returning. Mor Ardain is probably a given because of Hugo and that sandy-beach area could be the giant Leftherian Titan before it submerged itself in the Cloud Sea.

Some other details

• The Drivers (Lora, Hugo and Addam) can equip weapons and that determines their elements. The Blades equip Aux Cores and unlike in the main game, they don't have to be crafted.
  • Every character has Arts for when they are in the vanguard and the rearguard. Talent Arts also make a return and in Lora's case, she basically has Shulk's Battle Soul where she can sacrifice 25% of her HP to fully recharge her Arts. Addam's Talent Art is Transcend, which details 50% damage if dealt from the front
  • Affinity Charts return but that was obvious
  • Unique Monsters are back.

u82ODbT.png

There's also a new camp mechanic, which might serve as an Inn when your out in the field? You can also craft new items and talk to party members (whether that serves as the Heart-to-Hearts in this game or it's just fun little talks remain to be seen).

Torna ~ The Golden Country is basically it's own game at this point. No wonder they are doing a physical release. I don't think it'll be as long as the main game but we're still looking at something pretty damn substantial. The Season Pass is definitely worth it now.

Also, Haze art

0ZkdpGR.png

If you want to watch the Torna gameplay yourself:

Deciding between getting the DLC now or waiting for the physical version remains difficult...

Edited by Lightchao42

19 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Deciding between getting the DLC now or waiting for the physical version remains difficult...

Apparently, the physical version is $10 more expensive than the digital version so you would save money just getting the Expansion Pass now.

Then again, the Expansion Pass should be worth more than $30 lol. Monolith Soft absolutely deserves all the money they can get. So it's up to you.

If you do wait though, you'll also have to wait three months before you can get Shulk and Fiora.

Update 1.5.0 is live. Added the Challenge Mode and some new options, which are DLC exclusive:

• Auto-battle
  • Automatic QTEs
  • Enemy Aggression: let's you toggle the aggression of enemies so if you want, higher level monster than you can ignore you, including Uniques.

And then everyone gets this but now you can see which Unique Tombstone belongs to who when re-challenging a Unique Monster and also the Unique Monster Subjugation Report. Haven't messed with that though so i don't know what it does.

Art thou feeling it now, Mr. Rex?

cbs7rep1e4411.jpg

So I've finally defeated Relentless Aruduran recently and now I have every rare blade aside from Theory, Newt, Zenobia, and Dahlia (and the NG+/DLC blades). I get the impression that I should rearrange them somewhat but I'm not sure how.

• Rex: Perceval, Perun, Finch, T-elos
  • Nia: Agate, Gorg, Ursula, Sheba, Vess
  • Mòrag: Godfrey, Dagas, Kasandra, Kora, Adenine, Electra
  • Zeke: Wulfric, Vale, Boreas, Praxis, Azami, Nim, Floren, KOS-MOS, Herald

I think I'll start New Game+ after beating Ophion and doing KOS-MOS's quest, and I might buy the Expansion Pass as soon as I do.

10 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:
  • Rex: Perceval, Perun, Finch, T-elos
  • Nia: Agate, Gorg, Ursula, Sheba, Vess
  • Mòrag: Godfrey, Dagas, Kasandra, Kora, Adenine, Electra
  • Zeke: Wulfric, Vale, Boreas, Praxis, Azami, Nim, Floren, KOS-MOS, Herald

It kinda depends on what roles you want to assign to your party. This is especially important for Nia and Zeke.

Morag is easy. Give her every Katana and watch her be the ultimate tank. Perceval is her Dark element user of choice, so is Theory for Ice if you eventually get her. She makes good use of Finch as well since she supplements her with the Wind element and Agility mod. Electra and Kassandra are also a good choice due to them being good by themselves with the former being complementing Morag's elemental array with Lightning.

Nia has 2 primary roles; one is healer, the other gunner with Ether cannons. This is due to her being the only character besides Zeke that has a workable Ether stat for them (since they attack with Ether instead of physical attacks). If you decide making her the latter she will need KOS-MOS, Sheba and Azami/Herald. Otherwise Bitballs and maybe some Knuckles can be useful for her.

Zeke can be a lot of things. He has both good physical Attack and Ether which makes quite flexible. In fact because he is well-balanced he can easily combine different weapon types like Megalances and Ether Cannons. Especially for that the combination of Herald, Kos-Mos and Vale is an incredibly powerful set.
Otherwise a full physical set is recommended on him. T-elos, Wulfric, Praxis and Dagas are good choices for that.

So in summary from your current collection:

Morag
- Finch
- Electra
- Perceval
- Kassandra

Nia (Healer)
- Sheba
- Boreas
- Adenine
- Kora
- Floren
- Nim
- Azami

Zeke
- Kos-Mos
- Dagas
- Praxis
- Herald
- Wulfric
- Agate
- Vale
- T-elos

Ursula is best on the character that you control the most. You can rapidly chain Blade switches with her to make your party immortal. However, the AI doesn't do a lot of switches which greatly reduces her effectiveness.
Gorg, Perun, Godfrey and Vess are kinda whatever. They are useable but they are underwhelming compared to their competition.

One of the new Challenges

Dftrk7dUwAAsfpR.jpg

Let's you kill Tatsu. Monolith Soft fucking knows.

That challenge was actually just Tora committing genocide on the entire Nopon race from across the series, ending with a fight with

Spoiler

Monolith Soft itself. No, i'm not kidding

DftvnBlUYAAr_OE.jpg

gsx_o5j3_400x400.jpg?width=300&height=30

That's the Nopon from the official Xenoblade 2 Twitter.

Edit:

The costumes do show up in cutscenes, even when viewed in the event theater.

Dftw114VAAAqMFs.jpg?width=400&height=225

and Zeke gets a Xenogears Bart costume

Dwcg-95q8USF1j-LRFXT-h-EYZ5vW4Fz4w-KcIQb

Edited by Armagon

Bought the collector's edition today. I still need a switch but I'll get that somewhere next week.

Anything I should know before I start playing this game in the future? Like anything I really shouldn't miss? I watched half of Chugga's XC1 let's play and I remember there being side quests that expire.

7 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Bought the collector's edition today. I still need a switch but I'll get that somewhere next week.

Anything I should know before I start playing this game in the future? Like anything I really shouldn't miss? I watched half of Chugga's XC1 let's play and I remember there being side quests that expire.

There's three quests from one area that expire but those are the only three that do it.

Also, you should know that the battle system is restricted until the start of Ch.4. You can't do certain things like Chain Attacks or equip three Blades until it's introduced to you. So keep in mind that the first three chapters will feel a little slow, gameplay-wise. 

So, uh... is it even possible to buy the Torna DLC seperately? That's the only thing I want out of the season pass, but all I'm seeing is talk of season pass members getting it and then a later physical release with the season pass included.

36 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

So, uh... is it even possible to buy the Torna DLC seperately? That's the only thing I want out of the season pass, but all I'm seeing is talk of season pass members getting it and then a later physical release with the season pass included.

Currently no. I was quite pissed off about that when I found out about that since I don't really care about the other dlc besides Torna.

3 hours ago, The DanMan said:

The only way to buy the Torna DLC standalone is to get the physical version. That also comes with a code to unlock the Expansion Pass in the main game but the physical version lets you play Torna without the main game. That's what i've heard.

I suppose there are some things said about the Torna DLC worth mentioning:

- work began 3 years ago, as Torna ~The Golden Country was part of the initial plot for the main game 
- to be more accurate, it was one of the possible “candidate” stories to be included in the initial plot 
- Tetsuya Takahashi realized including Torna~The Golden Country in the main game would push them over budget 
- on top of that, they wouldn't be able to complete development in the allotted time either 
- without showing it to anyone, Tetsuya Takahashi decided to move ahead without that story 
- Torna ~The Golden Country sat on Takahashi’s computer for a while, but was revisited when the idea of DLC came up 
- takes place 500 years before the events of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 
- tells the story of Jin, Mythra, Malos, and Amalthus, but also Lora and Addam 
- the main characters are Jin and Lora 
- find out Jin and Lora's past, and the relationship between Addam and Mythra 
- the devs upgraded the character models that were originally used in the cutscenes of the main game 
- takes place on Torna, a Titan 
- here you can find the Capital of the Kingdom of Torna, which is a town that you can explore 
- the battle system is slightly different, since the DLC takes place in the past, before Drivers and Blades worked together 
- basics of the battle system remains the same 
- will feature new music tracks from the same composers who worked on the main game 
- the atmosphere of the story DLC is slightly more “mature” than the main game, which is reflected in the soundtrack 
- the music “might” feel a little different than in Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 
- there will be some acoustic tracks 
- if you play Torna ~The Golden Country first, then you may get to see elements from the main game in a different light

It seems like an entirely new game, which makes sense since you can buy it separately. It's intended to function as a standalone title that doesn't require XC2 to fully enjoy (though I image people will appreciate it more if they are familiar with XC2).

Edited by Lightchao42

On 6/15/2018 at 11:15 AM, Armagon said:

One of the new Challenges

Dftrk7dUwAAsfpR.jpg

Let's you kill Tatsu. Monolith Soft fucking knows.

Yaaas....you can kill Tatsu, quit, restart, kill Tatsu, and repeat so I can finally live my dream as a daelek-esque mim that wants to redeem itself for saving Tatsu from the prone and committing the highest crime upon the noponic race.

Otherwise the mode is meaty as are the missions, I can’t just sleepwalk through them. You also need to kill some super bosses to unlock a few others.

If you want to hurry along getting Shulk and Fiora, you need to do the Dino Drama mission - it’s lvl 99 even on easy.  I’m still trying to figure the two out, Shulk is an odd dps with the foresight cancel ability and Fiora is a healer with a lot of dps buffs.  They remind me of the Torna blades.

Edited by Bubba Jones

Got my switch yesterday and decided to give both my new games a quick run...well I say quick but I ended up playing XB2 for almost 3 hours. I've been enjoying it so far even though I haven't done a lot. I think I only just finished the prologue. 

I'd say my biggest issue is getting used to the switch controller after being a playstation/xbox guy for the longest time. That A/B button switch has made me mess up the few instances of quick time events there were <_>.

@Aura Of Twilight as that is a datamine, i'd suggest putting that in a spoiler

As for my thoughts

Spoiler

Yeah, it does make sense that Elma is coming. And with that, every Xeno game is represented in Xenoblade 2 except for Xenogears.

I rewatched the Torna trailer and observed some fun facts.

Malos destroyed Coeia in year 3564 (and I imagine the story takes place around this time). According to Pyra, XC2 proper takes place in the year 4058, which is 494 years afterwards. I'm hoping the DLC gives us a more precise understanding of how long Mythra, Pyra, and Malos were active before the Aegis War ended and the former two were sealed.

Rhadallis was the 107th Praetor of Indol and assuming that Amalthus is his direct successor, then Amalthus is the 108th Praetor (I'm sure this number was intentional because 108 is an important number in several cultures). Assuming that the calendar started when Indol was founded, since there were 108 praetors in 4058 years, this also means that the average ruling time for each praetor is 37.6 years (though Amalthus was Praetor for around 500 years so he might have skewed the data a bit).

Spoiler

You know, if Elma's in, how will she VAed? They're using a UK voice cast, and if I remember correctly, Elma had an American VA. I dunno whether or not the other blade VAs save for Skye Bennett (who is English) are also English people doing American accents or not, at least.

Actually, does Tatsu have any new voice clips when you fight him?

6 minutes ago, NoirCore said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You know, if Elma's in, how will she VAed? They're using a UK voice cast, and if I remember correctly, Elma had an American VA. I dunno whether or not the other blade VAs save for Skye Bennett (who is English) are also English people doing American accents or not, at least.

Actually, does Tatsu have any new voice clips when you fight him?

Spoiler

They'll likely just get Elma's VA again, especially if, just like Shulk and Fiora, it actually is Elma, unlike KOS-MOS and T-elos who make references to Xenosaga but it isn't actually them.

Most Blade's have American accents anyway.

Edited by Armagon

1 minute ago, Armagon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They'll likely just get Elma's VA again, especially if, just like Shulk and Fiora, it actually is Elma, unlike KOS-MOS and T-elos who make references to Xenosaga but it isn't actually them.

Spoiler

Again, are the blade VAs American or English people doing American accents like Skye with Pyra? I don't really recognize the name of any blade's VA from any other game dubbed with an American voice cast, especially Xenoblade X.

27 minutes ago, NoirCore said:
  Hide contents

Again, are the blade VAs American or English people doing American accents like Skye with Pyra? I don't really recognize the name of any blade's VA from any other game dubbed with an American voice cast, especially Xenoblade X.

Spoiler

Doing a bit of research,

• Jules de Jongh, the VA of Brighid, Boreas and Finch is American-British like Skye,
  • Dromarch's VA William Roberts is English (that was obvious though)
  • Zenobia's VA is also English
  • Herald's VA is American
  • Poppi's VA is actually Japanese-American (i think, it says she was raised in Japan but she went to an international school so she speaks with an American accent)

I'm not going through all the Blades, but judging from what i've seen, the Blade VAs are both English (or from other countries) people doing American accents and people who are 100% American

54 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I think there's a difference between getting voice actors who live in the UK to do American accents and actually getting an American voice actress for a game dubbed in the UK, assuming they do have Caitlin Glass voice her again.

Then again, NoA got Adam Howden and Carina Reeves for XCX so maybe NoE can return the favor.