What tutorial method should be done?

Harvey

On 9/24/2017 at 10:31 PM, phineas81707 said:

Xenoblade has little pop-ups in the corner of the screen that you can press + to open a tutorial on the relevant notice (such as Burn or Speed Shift or whatever effect just happened). Maybe it can be that.

I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles but how big is this little notification? In Awakening I remember that the title of the tutorial would appear on the bottom-right (?) of the screen on the harder difficulties but it wasn't very noticeable and disappeared quickly. If this is easily missable as well then we have the problem of not many newcomes understanding the main mechanics of the game. I don't know how to fix this though. I've just realized discussing this that I don't pay attention to tutorials in games much.

17 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles but how big is this little notification? In Awakening I remember that the title of the tutorial would appear on the bottom-right (?) of the screen on the harder difficulties but it wasn't very noticeable and disappeared quickly. If this is easily missable as well then we have the problem of not many newcomes understanding the main mechanics of the game. I don't know how to fix this though. I've just realized discussing this that I don't pay attention to tutorials in games much.

For the Wii version, it looks like this:

Spoiler

4NGrV1T.png

This is the first time you see it, and it happens to be about a mechanic in which a tutorial was forced upon you because the game deemed it important. Auras like Speed Shift don't have their own dedicated forced tutorials, so this is almost like a tutorial of a tutorial.

the best way they could do tutorials is the way PoR did

they're completely optional, but they explain basically everything you need to know to play

i liked the way awakening and fates did the tutorial more of a "softer" way to introduce new players to the game mechanics, but if i was a casual player while playing awakening and fates, i would've HATED to literally stop and read all those slides, while the only thing i wanted to do is... uhm... PLAY THE GAME

i also hated when, the first time i played blazing sword, the game FORCED me to promote wallace; the tutorial chapters from fe7 are fine to me, overall

you want to include a tutorial? fine, make it optional, so that i can freely play the game if i feel like, or only play the tutorial if i want to know how to play the game before playing the actual game

On 9/26/2017 at 8:42 PM, phineas81707 said:

For the Wii version, it looks like this:

Hide contents

4NGrV1T.png

This is the first time you see it, and it happens to be about a mechanic in which a tutorial was forced upon you because the game deemed it important. Auras like Speed Shift don't have their own dedicated forced tutorials, so this is almost like a tutorial of a tutorial.

Okay that isn't that bad. It would be odd for someone to miss that in an SRPG for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

A mix between Lyn's story and fe6's tutorial would be nice. Fe6's tutorial is small, yet teaches almost everything you need to know about the game at the most basic level. things such as: Visiting villages, talking to units (not enemies though), and seizing the throne. The reason this works is because it isn't a 10 chapter long mandatory on the first playthrough tutorial, but it only teaches the bare minimum. The reason Lyn's story works is because most things you do carry over into Eliwood's or Hector's story, and it teaches you almost everything, including rain, which only happens in 2 chapters in Eliwood's and Hector's stories. The problem with Lyn's story is that it's too long, while fe6's tutorial teaches too little for a new player who has never played a game like Fire Emblem or know anything about Fire Emblem, while Lyn's story can turn of fans of the franchise because of how long it is. A mix between them would most likely be a short, 4-6 chapter tutorial that teaches new players how to play the game, but is interesting, engaging, or fun enough to keep some of the more impatient fans (or people in general) playing.

Replaying Lyn's Mode recently, it's long (if you don't press the start button on the story portions), but easy enough that you can go through it relatively quickly. The thing I hated the most was the game forcing units into doing certain actions.  It could be because I know what I was doing before I played (FE 7 was not my first Fire Emblem) but it's stuff like that doesn't make me excited to play her mode on normal. I liked how in Awakening and Fates the tutorial was relegated to very short slides on the bottom screen. They were short, sweet and straight to the point. I would like the tutorials to be short, sweet and straight to the point.

Edited by I'm a Spheal