I Just Realized That Halo 3 Turns 10 Tomorrow

Captain Karnage

well, am I allowed to say "I feel old" now

I just can't believe that tomorrow Halo 3 turns 10

It just blows me away that a game that had taken up so much of my adolescence has gotten to this age. I just remember that back in the day how every day after school I'd come home and play online for hours on end with my friends from school, all the hours burnt in sandbox mode, and all the times I'd luck out by hitting someone with a sticky grenade. 

I gotta say that I miss online shooters like this, I miss the arena style gameplay, I just don't like how every online shooter now adays wants to be an esport

It was the game that got me into online games.

I mean, I played Halo 2 online at friends' houses and loved that, but I didn't have Xbox Live myself until Halo 3.

Time moves too fast.

Edited by Slumber

9 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

I gotta say that I miss online shooters like this, I miss the arena style gameplay, I just don't like how every online shooter now adays wants to be an esport

What's the difference? (Not a regular FPS player.)

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

The only one of the Covenant Trilogy that really holds up now, albeit holding up (Campaign wise) super well.

I gotta admit, I really liked all 3, and Reach, I think I played through each campain atleast 3 or 4 times, as well as ODST

1 hour ago, Zera said:

It was a lot more chaotic, much more random, everyone trying to kill eachother not for points but to get the rocket launcher, vehicles and the good weapons, online shooters were more casual back then. Nowadays everyone wants to be an Esport, games like Overwatch just don't have the charm like shooters back in the day. Thats also a reason people really liked the DOOM reboot, because it's a single player shooter that plays like a 2016 game but plays like a classic 90's/00's shooter

besides I can't even really play shooters anymore, as of late they've been making me motion sick and I don't know why.

1 hour ago, Zera said:

I mean, arena shooters WERE eSport back in the day.

Anyway, the term refers to a shooter that is strictly arena based. With weapon spawns, power-ups, limited ammo usage. Generally no load outs or pre-determined class or character determining how you play. So it all came down to playing the arena, and knowledge of the arena was potentially just as important as knowing how to play the game. 

Halo 5 is the only big-budget arena shooter to come out in a long time, and that's hamstrung by being on the Xbone. Even the new Quake game, which started the arena shooter trend, is more character/class based. 

Everything's Overwatch/TF2 or a Battle Royale shooter these days(Which is ironically closer to an Arena shooter despite being a MASSIVE arena and having a much different set or rules). Ironically, nobody in eSports gives a shit about Call of Duty, which was the first big franchise to pull attention away from arena shooters. 

Edited by Slumber

• 2 weeks later...