Is FE 7's story really that bad?

Spectraman

I have been hearing from a lot of people about their opinions on FE 7 and the only bad thing they say is the story. Is the story really that bad?! I thought it was great, it had a mix of political elements and sort of cartoony elements that we will probably always see in future fire emblem games. But I never found any part of the story to be rushed or bland. I mean yes, eliwood, lyn and hector aren't the best of main lords since they are a bit generic but there is lot that goes on in the beginning of blazing sword that makes it really engaging. I find it's story to be better than others. Maybe not as good as Holy War and Path of Radiance but it still has core elements we would expect in a medieval style setting. Can you guys tell your opinions on the story?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. It's mostly just Nergal that kind of sucks. And it's not like Nergal as a villain himself is that bad, it's just that there are several points in the story where Nergal AND the heroes acknowledge that Nergal could easily wipe out the entire player army by himself, and he just doesn't for no logical reason. Unlike other games where this kind of thing happens, there's nothing stopping him. He's been corrupted and lost his mind, and he's not putting up any sort of act. It's just a really weird thing that keeps happening.

Edited by Slumber

I've always been a defender of the story. Its got a competent escalation from bandits to corrupt nobles, to an international mercenary guild and the evil sorcerer pulling the strings, it stands out because of its smaller scale and while not as good as Tellius I think its got one of the better examples of world building in the series.

And its villains are active. We see Ephidel corrupt Darrin, we see Nergal converses with his morph's and the black fang members also have plenty of interaction with both themselves and the heroes. Nergal letting the heroes live so much is a flaw but it also comes with a strenght. He and the main lords form a very personal hostility that most villains that aren't the Black knight or Lyn just do not have with the main character. 

Its story is also told in a much more engaging way. Gone are the days were the lord spends the cutscenes just speaking with the strategist and the plot important princess. Instead the three main lord have each other to talk to with other characters having decent opportunity to contribute too, think Matthew for example. 

Lyn just exists beyond her tutorial mode and is shoehorned into the main plot of Eliwood and Hector. The Black Fang is terrible for a league of assassins. Nergal doesn't squash the annoying bugs the heroes are when he could have. Too many battles without good plot reason. If you can get past these issues, things aren't too bad.

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its story is also told in a much more engaging way. Gone are the days were the lord spends the cutscenes just speaking with the strategist and the plot important princess. Instead the three main lord have each other to talk to with other characters having decent opportunity to contribute too, think Matthew for example. 

Now that I think on it, you're right I'd say. Binding and T776 perhaps made steps towards in the direction you described, but FE7 did take it much further. The small scale is pleasingly different too, though the stakes were pretty high even so (unlike T776).

As for the world building, it builds on top of Binding, adding more detail to what it already had. There are some minor contradictions and other faults to the additions, but overall they're fairly good.

The story made me drop the game entirely. So yeah, I say the story and characters are that bad. Most of it feels so generic and boring to me. The gameplay wasn't entirely that great to me either, I found it meh. But in all fairness, I DID play Tellius and even SS before FE7, so I might've been spoiled too much of those games there.

35 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The story made me drop the game entirely. So yeah, I say the story and characters are that bad. Most of it feels so generic and boring to me. The gameplay wasn't entirely that great to me either, I found it meh. But in all fairness, I DID play Tellius and even SS before FE7, so I might've been spoiled too much of those games there.

Also Blazing Sword does not feature Ike or Frederick.

It's mostly Nergal not making a whole lot of sense at times. 

Other than that, I appreciate the smaller, more personal conflict.  Most FE games are pretty grand in scale, and while FE7 does have World-ending stakes, the people involved was actually quite narrow.  Contrast FE6, where basically everyone on the continent at least knew what was happening and the conflict was entire countries (primarily Bern and Etruria) facing off.

10 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Also Blazing Sword does not feature Ike or Frederick.

...Dude, really.

Also, I disliked FE7 before Awakening was even a thing.

Edited by Anacybele

20 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I respect the amount of work put into it but some of the points don't really hold up in my opinion or are so small  you could probably write an essay like that about every video game. 

23 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Yeah, sorry. It was worth trying?

Nah, not really. Anyway...

Blazing Sword's plot is mostly good as long as you don't think too hard about it, I'd say. ;) That, and Nergal is a bit disappointing as a villain - I really like how Elibe's dark magic is portrayed, but Nergal could have been better than he is. His backstory is way to obscure and without it, he's a pretty generic power-for-the-sake-of-more-power, mwahahaha villain.

That said, I still don't dislike story and writing as a whole. Eliwood and Hector work together quite well, and the former is easily underestimated as a character in general (support-scientific source: ghast). Lyn's role in the main story isn't really that of a protagonist any more (she's usually just around and states some obvious stuff), but her story, annoying forced tutorial aside, is a nice little exposition to Elibe. As others have stated, the plot starts to crumble under pressure as soon as Nergal gets personally involved, but before that, I really don't have many complaints about it.

34 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Yeah, sorry. It was worth trying?

Time and place, yo.

---

FE7's story does things right, and it does things wrong, and that's okay.  By "greatest of all-time" standards, it's not going to win.  IMO it justifies why I'm moving the characters around without making me facepalm too hard, and that's plenty for me.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:49 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

On 9/24/2017 at 6:11 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I respect the amount of work put into it but some of the points don't really hold up in my opinion or are so small  you could probably write an essay like that about every video game. 

I should point out that said essay wasn't written by someone particularly credible. In fact, any objections to said essay that were brought up in the topic were outright ignored, plain and simple. And most of it is pretty much looking for flaws where there are none, anyways.

Edited by Just call me AL

11 minutes ago, redtutel said:

People hate Fire Emblem 7's story? I'm in the middle of it for the first time, and I think it's pretty good so far.

Is their ANY game in this franchise whose story isn't criticized in an overly harsh manner?

Welcome to video game forums, where trivialities are magnified beyond belief.  This isn't because of video games, this is because of human nature.

In other words, no, and I don't expect this trend to change for as long as humans are humans.

I like FE 7's story, it is not my favorite but it is far from the worst IMO.  I like how developed Hector was and well developed characters play a big part in how much I like a story. 

2 hours ago, redtutel said:

People hate Fire Emblem 7's story? I'm in the middle of it for the first time, and I think it's pretty good so far.

Is their ANY game in this franchise whose story isn't criticized in an overly harsh manner?

Maybe the first half of Genealogy? Not to say the second half is hated, but the first gen is more well received for sure.

Edited by DragonLord

It's certainly different. I want to call it the most character-driven narrative in the series, but then I think of all the side characters with no connection to the plot. As well as sub plots relating to the main lords that don't go anywhere, at least not onscreen. For the standards of this series, I wouldn't say it's under average. And some characters like Matthew and Renault are beacons of good characterization.

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

No. It's mostly just Nergal that kind of sucks. And it's not like Nergal as a villain himself is that bad, it's just that there are several points in the story where Nergal AND the heroes acknowledge that Nergal could easily wipe out the entire player army by himself, and he just doesn't for no logical reason. Unlike other games where this kind of thing happens, there's nothing stopping him. He's been corrupted and lost his mind, and he's not putting up any sort of act. It's just a really weird thing that keeps happening.

I might get a lot of disagreement with this but in my opinion, I think Ashnard is worse than nergal

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The small scale is pleasingly different too, though the stakes were pretty high even so (unlike T776).

It took me a second to realize because you mean that Veld and Raydrik are mostly just interested in controlling and lording over Manster. Because the stakes are relatively high in T776 for the story it's telling. Certainly more so than Lyn mode. 

1 hour ago, Spectraman said:

Lol and I wonder whyy Ghast dislikes it so much?

Does Ghast hate the story or the game play? Because game play gripes are understandable. Story wise, while Ghast is known for analyzing supports, he misses the mark on stories often. He likes more character-driven stuff as opposed to stories that are more cohesive and rounded, hence why he really likes the Hector/Eliwood story of FE7 and the Lyon/Eirika/Ephraim stuff of FE8, even though neither have particularly strong narratives(I'd say FE8's story is straight up bad, honestly). Not that FE7's is bad, it's just not great outside of the Hector/Eliwood stuff. It's a pretty safe FE story with a villain who doesn't really make any sense. 

Edited by Slumber

In my opinion, I like it. Its got a few deep moments and it feels light hearted at best. Maybe not on par with FE4 obviously but to its own, its nice. I barely noticed any plotholes within the story as I was just too much into the actual characters.

I guess the only plothole is that Raven wants revenge against Ostia and yet, there's no support between Hector and Raven.