Best Skills?

Urvan

So, what do you think are the best skills? I will rank the best based on reasoning under their respective category. And only submit one per category please. Mastery Skills are included.

Attack (Damage): Eclipse, Pursuit, Vantage, Astra

Defense (Stat): Resolve, Great Shield/Pavise

Support (Healer): Dance/Sing, Paragon

Misc: Miracle

Edited by Urvan

"Best" can be taken a few ways: most viable, strongest, most accessible... There's probably more ways I haven't listed that you could take it. I can't really have an answer without specification.

Offense -

Charge (FE4,FE5) The totally absurd skill (most cases it causes you to double or triple attack, but can do even more- and pretty much 100%active enemy and player phase) with a very small downside of making ranged attackers hurt you more.

Defense - Resolve- (FE9, FE10), once activated, the unit gets not only an skill boost, but enough of a speed boost to actually dodgetank most enemies, meaning whoever  you use the scroll/assign it too can instantly become one of your best units if not THE best unit. let's say nothing of it being to easier to kill BK with it than Aether.  

Support:

Elite/Paragon/Veteran - double exp doesn't matter if you plan on eventually maxing people, but if you are playing the game effiecently, in most cases it's a crucial advantage for the units it have it over at least others of their type. Their are some games where nobody good has it (Path of Radiance), but most of the time it can either put a weak unit on the level of good ones or else fix a units earlygame. Hopefully they stop changing the name of it between games.

Dishonorable Mention -

Breaker skills- Although nice with grinding DLC- most units can only ever get 1 class lines's breaker skill in a playthrough

Rally Skills- While very good with multible on a dedicated unit, usually takes much too long  to actually get that unit in a playthrough- The very silliest is Rally Movement, since it can only be gotten once in the class that has that other movement skill  -

Seal skills(Seal speed, Seal defense, etc) - Fun if you want to capture something that Niles is too weak to handle or feed a weak unit. However, naturally not given to support classes- look at Seal speed on spearmaster- is a unit with the best reverse effective weapon in the game (among other things) really going to need a second units help getting kills? 

Replicate and Warp- Require copious grinding to reach their potential in combination with other skills, meaning they can only ever be used in PVP maps for the most part. 

Edited by Reality

13 minutes ago, Reality said:

let's say nothing of it being to easier to kill BK with it than Aether.  

We really shouldn't, since you find the Resolve scroll in the same chapter, so Ike has no opportunity to equip it for the BK fight. :p You're either thinking of Ashnard or of Wrath+Adept which iirc is still more reliable than Aether against the BK.

Anyway, I can't say anything about the 3DS games, but before that, the RD mastery skills are definitely unmatched. A lot of them are basically a crit with another effect, just in case the enemy is still standing, which should be a rare occurance anyways. This also means that Nihil is absolutely crucial as a defensive skill as soon as an enemy has a mastery skill (lookin' at you, Dhegensea!)

Edited by ping

1 hour ago, Reality said:

Elite/Paragon/Veteran - double exp doesn't matter if you plan on eventually maxing people, but if you are playing the game effiecently, in most cases it's a crucial advantage for the units it have it over at least others of their type. Their are some games where nobody good has it (Path of Radiance), but most of the time it can either put a weak unit on the level of good ones or else fix a units earlygame. Hopefully they stop changing the name of it between games.

tbf, Elite's simply the Japanese name, and Awakening considers Veteran a separate skill from Paragon (both are in the game after all).  So the name technically never changed.

Anyway.

Attack - Just proc skills, right?  Eclipse is absurd in terms of sheer overkill, so that I guess.  

Defense - I'm quite fond of Path of Radiance Vantage, since it has a 100% activation rate and pairs well with guard, adept, or wrath.  That said... Radiant Dawn Nihil is practically required after a certain point...

Support - Does Dancing count?  It's a considered a skill in Heroes (and FE9/10 too IIRC?) so I'm counting it.  Dancing is objectively an amazing support ability.  Need more people healed?  Dance a healer.  Need a rescue chain completed?  Dance a rescue bot.  Need more things dead?  Dance an attacker.  It's incredibly versatile. 

In terms of offense, I'd probably FE4 Astra. I mean the thing has a trigger rate based on skill and actually factors in the Brave effect of Brave Swords. Other than that I'd say preyy much every mastery skill in RD.

For the most part with defense it tends to vary upon the situation of build to be honest. RD Vantage always triggering is completely absurd though.

Support I gotta say paragon. There really inst much to it, it doubles exp. Its amazing.

Other Misc crazy skills I guess worth mentioning would be Replicate, PoR Aether with its Skill% trigger rate, and Wrath (depending on the build or unit).

Attack: I hate proc skills, because they're luck based and you can never really count on them. I'm a fan of darting blow and quick draw, though. The killer bow skill from SoV whose name I forgot and the skill from Alm's sword (not falchion) are also really graet. Does pursuit count? If so, Pursuit. It improves anyone who has it by a lot in FE4.

Defense: Resolve.

Support: If dancing counts, then dancing. If not, I guess rally spectrum or paragon.

Edited by Nobody

Attack: Hunter's Volly and Double Lion because they are essentially a brave effect skill that doesn't require RNG to activate. Luna is also a good skill and Slayer is OP as fuck in Sacred Stones.

Defense: The damage halving skils like Aegis and Pavise i guess. 

Support: Dancing, if it counts.

6 hours ago, Nobody said:

Pursuit. It improves anyone who has it by a lot in FE4.

Which is one of the major contributing factors of why FE4 is the most unbalanced mess in the series. But that's a story for another day.

I feel like different skills are better in different games... but here goes.

Ike's aether was great due to its insane activation rate. Later games nerfed it a bit, but it still has some of the best offensive and defensive capabilities as a skill.

Vantage is one of the most versatile skills, attack priority is awesome.

Paragon is simply great. Especially in Radiant Dawn.

I have to give mention to FE4's critical, because that appeared to be the most consistent skill to activate (other than the obvious ones).

Other than these, I've always felt that skills that reduce the reliance on RNG are useful, whether they be awesome like Rightful King, or less noticeable like a simple speed +2 or avoid +10.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Which is one of the major contributing factors of why FE4 is the most unbalanced mess in the series. But that's a story for another day.

Alright, we get that you hate FE4. Do you really have to bring it up in every single topic?

18 hours ago, Reality said:

Support:

Erm, you do realize that Veteran is a completely different skill from Paragon?

Attack: Darting Blow and Luna

Defence: PoR Vantage

Support: Live to Serve 

Support: Either Veteran or Live to Serve. Veteran helped me out with Robin during Lunatic in Awakening, especially in early game, and the fact that it passed down to Inigo and Morgan was great. Live to Serve is fantastic on Felicia, especially if she's surrounded by enemies with only one injured ally to back her up.

Attack: Ignis is so pretty. Also, pass it down to Inigo and he is fantastic with it!

Defense: Probably Vantage. This has actually helped my Marth in Heroes get out of many sticky situations.

6 hours ago, DolphinDingus said:

Alright, we get that you hate FE4. Do you really have to bring it up in every single topic?

At this point, i see my FE4 hate as a joke that defines me.

This is what happens when you spend too much time on Twitter.

Best Skill is Astra. Yeah its deadly on enemy units that have this, but its such a cool ability being able to hit five times a row like that! If only skills were added in FE6....

Then you have Galeforce..a broken skill in Awakening. The process of getting it though is boring and painful but very rewarding once you get it. Sucks that its female exclusive only(except for kid units but still...)

Edited by Harvey

On 9/25/2017 at 1:25 AM, Melldere said:

"Best" can be taken a few ways: most viable, strongest, most accessible... There's probably more ways I haven't listed that you could take it. I can't really have an answer without specification.

I'll just say that, whichever ability you think is the strongest (Most damage, Miracle, etc.).

P.S. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by Urvan

On 9/26/2017 at 4:39 PM, Urvan said:

I'll just say that, whichever ability you think is the strongest (Most damage, Miracle, etc.).

P.S. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's fine. It doesn't seem like anyone else had the same problem.

I'd say that Aether is the best offensive skill. It's difficult to match its strength, with its extra damage and self-recovery.
Dragon Skin is probably the best defensive skill, but I'm not sure it counts, since it's exclusive to enemies.