FE16 "leaks"

Now that this thread has been posted in again, I think I'll list my full thoughts, taken from a post I made on Gamefaqs:

Honestly, a lot of this feels clever/believable.

IS themselves are aware of criticism-- they recognized criticism of Awakening's story and singled out complaints about how nobody really died (though instead went the route of "here's random deaths for the sake of it") and vastly improved pair-up. Axing the 2nd gen and trying to bring back some older elements after the latter's unpopularity in Fates and Heroes' success seems pretty believable (plus, with full voice-acting, eliminating children means they get to greatly cut down on supports-- no parent/child and sibling variations). The Nohrian royal family were also originally meant to be vampires (Leo's liking of tomatoes was probably an in-joke over that)-- IS has brought little details like that back in the past(Roy's original name was Ike, for example). And coupled with recognizing criticism, the base plot similarities to Fates may be them trying to do it better (especially feeling more confident after SoV's writing got generally praised --for some reason--).
I already gave my 2 cents on Yamada.

Some of the exact details feel suspect, but most of the big stuff gels with expectations and what we know of how IS operates. This doesn't feel like somebody took their fangame idea and tried to pass it off as a leak; right now, I believe the major points are true. My gut says this could be somebody from NOA using a middleman (since Nintendo is seemingly set on simultaneous or near-simultaneous localizations now), with outdated/incorrect info mixed in. Time will tell if I make a fool of myself-- but if the FE Switch reveal comes around and we see vampires and Kotaro Yamada as the lead artist, I told you so.

Just because "Oh, it's 4chan", you can't write it off. FFXV had the entire plot outline leaked half a year before release on the site and nobody believed it until the last minute. Heck, there was a roster leak that popped up for Smash 4 before the ESRB leak that turned out to be dead-on. And let's not forget the Riddler during Sun and Moon's pre-release.
Stuff like "oh they should've posted it in the Fire Emblem General thread" can be shot down by using simple logic if you actually look at the thread: it's 100% Heroes. Virtually nobody talks about Warriors or any other game; it's. All. Heroes. You want to draw attention to something? You don't post it in a thread full of Tharjanons, people dreaming about their favorite characters getting buffed, and bragging about pulls.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Now that this thread has been posted in again, I think I'll list my full thoughts, taken from a post I made on Gamefaqs:

Honestly, a lot of this feels clever/believable.

IS themselves are aware for criticism-- they recognized criticism of Awakening's story and singled out complaints about how nobody really died (though instead went the route of "here's random deaths for the sake of it") and vastly improved pair-up. Axing the 2nd gen and trying to bring back some older elements after the latter's unpopularity in Fates and Heroes' success seems pretty believable (plus, with full voice-acting, eliminating children means they get to greatly cut down on supports-- no parent/child and sibling variations). The Nohrian royal family were also originally meant to be vampires (Leo's liking of tomatoes was probably an in-joke over that)-- IS has brought little details like that back in the past(Roy's original name was Ike, for example). And coupled with recognizing criticism, the base plot similarities to Fates may be them trying to do it better (especially feeling more confident after SoV's writing got generally praised --for some reason--).
I already gave my 2 cents on Yamada.

Some of the exact details feel suspect, but most of the big stuff gels with expectations and what we know of how IS operates. This doesn't feel like somebody took their fangame idea and tried to pass it off as a leak; right now, I believe the major points are true. My gut says this could be somebody from NOA using a middleman (since Nintendo is seemingly set on simultaneous or near-simultaneous localizations now), with outdated/incorrect info mixed in. Time will tell if I make a fool of myself-- but if the FE Switch reveal comes around and we see vampires and Kotaro Yamada as the lead artist, I told you so.

Do you have the link to the board?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/204445-fire-emblem-for-nintendo-switch-working-title/75846652

Edited by Hawkatana

i'd happily have yamada kotaro do the character art. his ephraim gives off the vibe of being artwork you saw in pre shadow dragon FE games. it has that fire emblem feel unlike kozaki's animeish style (not that i'm complaining). heck, it even reminds me of kaga's saga games

Edited by silveraura25

15 hours ago, Hawkatana said:

Do you have the link to the board?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/204445-fire-emblem-for-nintendo-switch-working-title/75846652

I was actually the one who made that thread. *blushes*

We need some news for this soon. The more I read over the leaks, the more I'm okay with it. Mainly cause if this is true, it's just a small portion of what's probably going to be a pretty beefy game. At least I'm hoping it'll be. Ugh, we need some news fast. (I'd kill for some more "leaks" too.)

12 minutes ago, Captain Vulgar said:

We need some news for this soon. The more I read over the leaks, the more I'm okay with it. Mainly cause if this is true, it's just a small portion of what's probably going to be a pretty beefy game. At least I'm hoping it'll be. Ugh, we need some news fast. (I'd kill for some more "leaks" too.)

I'll admit that even if they aren't true, the leaks still present some interesting ideas.  I always liked the idea behind the Hunter class, even if it usually wasn't executed well.

49 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'll admit that even if they aren't true, the leaks still present some interesting ideas.  I always liked the idea behind the Hunter class, even if it usually wasn't executed well.

We really need a complete info compilation post or something, of everything mentioned in all the threads.

53 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'm happy there are leaks in general. Makes the waiting feel more alive. For me, I'm most pumped about the Hypogriff and Impaler. They sound pretty sick.

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

We really need a complete info compilation post or something, of everything mentioned in all the threads.

That would be very helpful and easy to reach. It's quite a bother to fish through all the pages for links.

I'll try making a compilation of all the info. If I missed anything, please let me know.

FE16 - Fire Emblem: New Moon

Story Info:

Spoiler
  • A Gothic Horror theme. Darker and more mature, but not "M" rated. More like the Jugdral games.
  • Two sides - Humans and Kibaire.
  • Avatar plays a more Villainous role. Camus-like anti-hero.
  • the Fire Emblem - a sundial. Gathers energy from the sun and the moon. Can either empower or destroy the Kibaire. Both Sides are seeking it.

Characters:

Spoiler

Humans:

• Alain - Protagonist. Knight Errant class. Uses a Sword. Upholds the dominant religion and firmly believes in it. Learned to see the Kibaire as a threat. His mission is to unite the humans in a war against the Kibaire.
  • Huon - The "Jagen". A laid-back Great Knight. Past his prime. Aids Alain on his mission.
  • Gwendolen - Myrmidon. Self- Proclaimed Kibaire Hunter.
  • Godfrey - Class Unknown. A knight said to resort to extreme measures. 

Kibaire:

• Dracul (Avatar) - Vassal Class. Camus-like Anti-hero. Bastard Prince(ss). Might be able to choose personality.
  • Mirela - One of the Red & Green units. Known for their wizard prowess. Optimistic and energetic.
  • Miruna - One of the Red & Green units. Know for their wizard prowess. Quieter and Calmer.
  • Felix - Impaler. Recruited from bandits (Navarre).

Classes:

Spoiler

Humans:

• Knight Errant - Alain's Class. Mounted, Sword. Gains Lances on promotion.
  • Hunter
  • Monk
  • Bard

Kibaire:

• Vassal - Avatar's Class. Player chooses weapon type.
  • Witch
  • Summoner
  • Succubus
  • Imp - functions like a thief.
  • Impaler - Lance using class.
  • Moonshifter/ "Laurel Wreath" - Laguz-like. 3 "tribes". Wolf, Bat, Dragon. More like the Taguel, Wolfskin, and Kitsune.
  • Hippogriff Rider - Flying, Bows. Might be female exclusive.
  • Dark Rider - Mounted, Swords and Axes.
  • Merman - Pirate-like.
  • Phantom - Anima Mage.
  • Vestal - Variation of the cleric.
  • Wizard - New name for dark mages.

Mechanics:

Spoiler
  • Balance of old and new mechanics. Trying to please both sides of the fanbase.
  • Returning Features:
    • Supports - Marriages, no children.
    • Pair-up
    • Weapon Triangle - Pre-Fates.
    • 3 Types of Magic - Dark, Light, Anima.
    • Skills
      • Sol and Luna - effects are swapped.
    • Wireless multiplayer
      • V.S.
      • Double Duel - Similar to Awakening's mode.
      • Arena - 4 player Free-For-All from the GBA era.
  • New Features:
    • Day/ Night Cycle - Stronger Monsters appear at night.
  • Amiibo - unlock special maps against enemies themed from the map's origin. When beaten, you unlock an S-rank weapon. Elincia's Gambit, Hinoka, Leo (the chapters), and Marth's Embarks are among them.
  • Artist - Kotaro Yamada. Drew Lyn and Narcian in FE:Heroes.
  • 3ds style aesthetics. 2D sprites on a 3D environment.
  • Full Voice Acting. Avatar's name is skipped.

Edited by Lord_Grima

Huon: sounds pretty standard. Interesting name choice. Not too common.

Gwendolan: DON'T WE ALREADY HAVE SOMEONE BY THAT NAME?! If this is real though, they may change it in localization. Or keep it, they've done it before with Arthur. Also, she's a self-proclaimed "Kibaire Hunter", which may not refer to her class. I don't think this means she's the "hunter" class; I think it means she has some Oboro-level of hatred for Kibaires, and hunts down every Kibaire she sees and tries to kill them. Watch how she'll have this tragic backstory of how her village in bumf*ck nowhere got raided and destroyed by Kibaires when she was a child and she wants to avenge her family. But here's hoping they killed off her significant other (bf/gf) doesn't matter, and she's fueled by the loss of her loved one.

Godfrey: tbh, sounds like Hans, but with religious hypocrisy.

Mirela&Miruna: Sounds like the Christmas Duo of the game. Overall, I'm kind of excited if they're real. They may have a cool design. They'll be the first Cain/Abel archetypes that are BOTH female, so it'll be interesting to see them. However, their personalities sound a little cliche- hyper twin and calm twin. It's been done before (i.e. Story of Seasons- Iluka and Siluka, and many other games/media). I'm not going to judge them until supports, but so far they're a bit cliche in that regard.

Felix- He's an impaler. Wish his name was Vlad though. I believe the name "Felix" means "happy/happiness" so all I can think of is the Happy Impaler.

Alright, I've seen many a comment in this thread that stated they disbelieve this because the "environment change is too drastic". I DISAGREE with this. I don't think it's all that drastic of a change. We're used to seeing vampires in medieval settings in media for a while now. It's nothing new. BTW, Fates wasn't too far off from this setting. Nohr was dark and dreary, and I'm willing to guess that the landscape of Kibaire will be VERY similar to Nohr. The environment change is NOT drastic at all. For examples of vampires in a medieval setting, I'd recommend Castelvania (video game series) and Van Helsing (movie).

And tbh, the concept isn't too crazy either. Popular video game series use a gimmick every once in a while. Legend of Zelda had pirates, as did Assassin's Creed (Pirate Emblem 2020!). What I'm trying to say is, the idea of vampires is sort of a gimmick. It'll probably be exclusive to this game, and it's probably an attempt of the writers to step away from the norm.

As for Kotaro Yamada; it's believable. FE is a popular series, he's a popular artist that has worked with FE before. Not too strange. I hope his designs are closer to his work with Awakening Ephraim, and not close to his SAO artstyle. It's not bad per se, but I don't think it'll sit well with the mood of FE, and I'm afraid it may lose more Western sales do to it looking too "anime-y". Awakening Ephraim seems more palatable to a wide array of audiences.

Edited by Dandy Druid

3 hours ago, Lord_Grima said:

I'll try making a compilation of all the info. If I missed anything, please let me know.

Story Info:

Hide contents
  • A Gothic Horror theme. Darker and more mature, but not "M" rated. More like the Jugdral games.
  • the Fire Emblem - a sundial. Gathers energy from the sun and the moon. Can either empower or destroy the Kibaire. Both Sides are seeking it.

Characters:

Hide contents

Humans:

• Alain - Protagonist. Knight Errant class. Uses a Sword. Upholds the dominant religion and firmly believes in it. Learned to see the Kibaire as a threat. His mission is to unite the humans in a war against the Kibaire.
  • Huon - The "Jagen". A laid-back Great Knight. Past his prime. Aids Alain on his mission.

Kibaire:

• Dracul (Avatar) - Vassal Class. Camus-like Anti-hero. Bastard Prince(ss). Might be able to choose personality.
  • Mirela - One of the Red & Green units. Known for their wizard prowess. Optimistic and energetic.
  • Miruna - One of the Red & Green units. Know for their wizard prowess. Quieter and Calmer.

Classes:

Hide contents

Humans:

• Hunter
  • Monk
  • Bard

Kibaire:

• Witch
  • Summoner
  • Succubus
  • Moonshifter/ "Laurel Wreath" - Laguz-like. 3 "tribes". Wolf, Bat, Dragon. More like the Taguel, Wolfskin, and Kitsune.
  • Merman - Pirate-like.
  • Phantom - Anima Mage.

Mechanics:

Hide contents
  • Returning Features:
    • Pair-up
    • Skills
    • Wireless multiplayer
      • V.S.
  • New Features:
  • Amiibo - unlock special maps against enemies themed from the map's origin. When beaten, you unlock an S-rank weapon. Elincia's Gambit, Hinoka, Leo (the chapters), and Marth's Embarks are among them.

Thank you!

The "2D sprites on a 3D background" only applies to the world map, I believe. Apart from that this is all spot on. Thanks again, Lord Grima!

7 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

so far they're a bit cliche in that regard.

Most Cain and Abels do tend to be that way on the surface. But usually they've got something behind their basic personality that gives them more character.

9 hours ago, Lord_Grima said:

Story Info:

Reveal hidden contents

Characters:

Reveal hidden contents

Humans:

Kibaire:

Classes:

Reveal hidden contents

Humans:

• Hunter
  • Monk
  • Bard

Kibaire:

• Witch
  • Summoner
  • Succubus
  • Merman - Pirate-like.
  • Phantom - Anima Mage.

Mechanics:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Returning Features:
    • Pair-up
    • Skills
    • Wireless multiplayer
      • V.S.
  • New Features:

It was later clarified that the Moonshifters are more akin to Taguel. 

I do find it interesting/odd how the Cain and Abel duo are dark magic users (Wizards), instead of anima users (Phantoms). I guess this means the humans will end up with Light magic.

8 hours ago, familyplayer said:

Most Cain and Abels do tend to be that way on the surface. But usually they've got something behind their basic personality that gives them more character.

Yeah. I'm going to have to see their supports and designs before I decide if they're just surface value. I hope their dynamic is similar to Erk + Serra though.

Sounds like a set up with lots of potential, just hope it doesn't turn into Fates 2.0 Vampire Knight/Twilight edition.

And Dracul better live up to it's character, hopefully someone like the Count from Gankutsuou rather than a straight up good guy in bad guy coating.

I wonder how beefy this story is. (I know I'll enjoy it regardless since I enjoyed Fates for a couple months till I burned myself out and had realizations) I'll some satisfaction from it (most likely in the gameplay) even if it's somehow a trash fire. My current concern is how post game and DLC would be handled. I have hopes, albeit not too high. I'm willing to bet we'll see a season pass some point after the games reveal. Anything for postgame would be appreciated, a tower with recruitable main story bosses, Apotheosis style maps, anything.

This will be a nice big game full of potential.

15 hours ago, Hawkatana said:

I feel like that if this is fake, we're practically writing the story for her.

I'm not 100% on board with it myself; it's just that nothing in it feels unreasonable. It doesn't feel like somebody took a their fan game idea and tried to pass it off as a leak; somebody would've sat down and thought about what IS would do. A lot of it lines up with what we know of their reasoning and/or seems logical. 

EDIT: To clarify my thoughts: even if it was completely made up, there's stuff in it that I would expect from the game anyway (full VO, no 2nd gen, etc.).

Edited by The DanMan

If this leak turns out to be true I wonder if one of the moonshifter tribes would be recruitable on the human side. It could make sense that the dragons were allied with the humans like in other games.

23 minutes ago, Shinwoo said:

If this leak turns out to be true I wonder if one of the moonshifter tribes would be recruitable on the human side. It could make sense that the dragons were allied with the humans like in other games.

Probably not the wolves.

58 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It's funny how many people on r/fireemblem are legitimately pissed at all this. Makes me want it to be real even more.

Wait, how are they mad? What made them mad?

8 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Wait, how are they mad? What made them mad?

"They learned nothing from Fates"

"F*ck no Yamada"

"Sounds like shitty fanfiction"

"Lol fake"

They're just mad.

12 hours ago, The DanMan said:

"They learned nothing from Fates"

"F*ck no Yamada"

"Sounds like shitty fanfiction"

"Lol fake"

They're just mad.

The thread is really salty. They aren't all bad though, some folks are pretty okay with it. But being negative is always louder than being positive.

Honestly, I feel the same way about wanting this to be real whenever I see someone bag on the concepts. All because I feel and believe that IS could/might be able to pull it off and prove the naysayers wrong.