Things From the Older Games You Would Like to See Renewed

Ae†her

At first I was going to make this a thread talking about just weapons, but I realized it's better to leave stuff like this broad for more interesting discussions? So my question to everyone is there anything from the Older Games (Pre-3DS Eras) that you would like to see renewed for future FE games?

Personally I would like to see a return of Poleaxes/Halberds and Quarter Staves as a new weapon type, but with a much more useful effect that aligns with how they were in HEMA.

Poleaxes were particularly useful in HEMA because of their reach and terrifying damage against unarmored/lightly-armored enemies with swords...etc. Quarter Staves also have a similar ability as Poleaxes, so I thought of putting Poleaxes, Halberds, and Staves under a similar category of weapon types.

• Quarter Staves (Lance-type): Will deal additional damage to opponent (granting an Atk bonus), if the user's Skill > Foe's Skill.

- Why have this ability? Well Quarter Staves are really light, and easy to completely smack an enemy at even close range with, you need to be very skilled to be able to avoid the attack, and that's why it punishes with skill. If you have more skill, then you can avoid the deadly blow, but you're still going to have to do a lot to counter your opponent's reach, especially if you have a longsword. Plus there's nothing to stop them from putting hit after hit on you as you try to get closer to them.

- Any variations? Yeah. Staves come in variations of Bronze Tipped, Iron Tipped, Steel Tipped, and Silver Tipped, each one having a higher Might than the previous one with a slightly less Avoid rate. Just to be clear these Staves will never break in combat, if anyone thinks that that is the exception to this weapon-type. Staves have less might than Halberds/Poleaxes, but have higher hit and avoid stats.

• Halberds (Lance-Type): If unit's Skill - Foe's Skill ≥ 3/5, then unit gains additional damage (again Atk increase) during combat.

- Why limit Halberd's to skill ≥ 3/5? Well because they're more powerful than staves for sure, and will have much higher Mt than them so it's important to balance things with a more demanding requirement for their epic abilities to be used. The increased skill requirement also makes sense in the sense that when you swing that Halberd down you have to ensure it'll hit your target, more than you do with a stave. The stabbing and striking down requires a bit more concentration, and that sensibly should come from a unit's skill stat.

- Variations? Yes. Bronze, Iron, Steel, and Silver. From Steel, and up the difference requirement changes from 3 to 5, because the Mt starts getting really high at this point.

- How do Halberds and Quarter Staves compare to normal lances. Halberds will have the same might as lances, except with less Hit and Avoid, while Quarter Staves have a little more Hit and Avoid than normal lances, but with quite a lot less Mt.

Wew that was a lot, but yeah I want Poleaxes renewed.

Edited by Logos

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mention Historical Euripean Martial Arts- Personally I think the factFE maintain the shields/bucklers are only for defense fiction is worse than the other things it does with its weapons.

As for halberds-  I see is that halberds have already been used as the anti-horse effective weapon for axes. They'be never actually been given seperate animations from Axes despite the multiple games though. 

I  don't really like the 3/5 kill formula- I see Fire Emblem's strength compared to other SRPGs being the simplicity/back to basics, and its rigid damage formula. While it wouldn't be quite the same as variable damage the fact that you having to do the division separately for different enemies in a mixed group would make it seem as if it was fluctuating for the player who is not willing to do the math/ only lightly invested.

Part of me really likes the Quarterstaff idea.- But on the other hand I think that justifiny them because of how actually useful they were would mean having to do so across the board with other weapons, and then Fire Emblem would lose it's giant cartoon axes, for instance, which might be nice for it's historical accuracy, but which I find pretty unlikely given the series bizarre fascination with its own history as well as presumably being marketable as in-line with FE artsytlye.

So this went from older games to hema real quick. Cool.

Quarterstaves are not battlefield weapons. The people that would use a quarterstaff as a main weapon are so few I would rather make it a specific lance that's prf or locked to a class rather than a new weapon type.

Anyway, I hate it that halberds are effective axes, 'cause halberds are mainly a thrusting weapon, so they fit better as lances. It is notable that those weapons are translated as halberds most of the time but in the japanese games are always called poleaxes.

By the way I would like for the blacksmits back, like in FE4 (just... not all weapons should have exactly 50 uses and maybe broken weapons could be lost).

Uhhh like EVERYTHING!!!

1) Expand the weapon options. I want to see the Iron/Steel/Silver blades again, the Wind Edge, Tempest Blade and other swords of that sort I also would like to see the Zweihander from Echoes be used again bring back longswords, lance reavers etc. GIVE.ME.MY.POLEARMS.BACK. Seriously I want polearms back like halberds, poleaxes, greatlances etc those were all some of my favorite weapons.

2) Bring back the repair weapons option as part of the forging system

3) Bonus Exp and Group EXP

4) 3rd tier units and villager/trainee units

5) Have some of the skills be shared like you could in Radiant Dawn

6) Allow supports to be done either at the barracks or on the battlefield.

Classic Bonus Exp WOW! How original!

Seriously though, IS pls. 

I would also really like to come back would be the various bands and what-not from Telius alongside the whole, two separate inventories thing.

Ya know what? IS should just take everything that Telius actually did right in terms of gameplay like for example the walls you cant attack through, which was REALLY cool and allowed for some interesting map design depending with different walls allowing you to attack through and some not, and the idea of altitude or whatever in how high up a ranged unit compared to an enemy increasing pr decreasing their effectiveness.

Also something minor though from Telius I kinda want back was how generals had Swords and lances. I don't know, I guess I just like the idea of armors having an advantage over hammers and armorslayers. I probably sound really stupid saying that but that's just how I feel.

Edited by CatManThree

No, full weapon triangle control on Generals is something a lot of fans want to see return. I'd also like to see the lance/bow variant return as a "slimmed-down" armor that Soldiers promote to instead of Halberdiers.

Now, as far as things I want to see return, weapon stealing. I'd much prefer having the freedom to take what I want from enemies over having dozens of free generic weapon drops and it would give Thieves their personal niche back. It would be pretty fun to get my hands on free forges in the Lunatic lategame too, and having to balance around playable Thieves stealing means we'd get more enemies with multiple weapons.

I'm kind of tired of the call backs after the 3DS era. "Hey guys, remember witches?" I didn't want to...

And then when I want something to come back like Tellius' bonus exp, they do it, but do it better in Echoes. Fire Emblem games are extremely derivative in nature, so I care more about what's new.

Edit: Scratch that, I'd like to see another shot at making Leadership stars a cool mechanic. That has potential.

Edited by Glennstavos

I want the GBA magic triangle to come back. The anima triangle has always felt so bland to me...

A blacksmith type weapon repair thing would be pretty cool. Honestly, I'd prefer it if most weapons had durability again (I say most because some still make sense to have infinite, like legendary weapons that you get really late in the game).

Another thing would be some sort of weapon weight system. What form of system is definitely up for debate, though I think if FE4's was rebalanced (no 18 weight axes), that would be my favorite, because it wouldn't be specifically hurtful to any one character, but would still have to be a consideration.

Canto after all actions is one of my favorite mechanics.

Rescuing, full stop.

(I haven't played Echoes yet, so if something like what I have mentioned is in Echoes, please don't yell at me).

• Bonus Experience
  • Height Bonus
  • Tier 3 classes + Mastery skills
  • Generals with full Weapon Triangle control
  • RD's double Magic Triangle (Anima > Light > Dark > Anima, Fire > Wind > Thunder > Fire)
  • Reaver weapons
  • Assignable skills
  • Canto
  • Rescue
  • Affinities
  • Weapon durability and Tellius' Str-based AS system
Edited by NinjaMonkey

13 hours ago, Enaluxeme said:

So this went from older games to hema real quick. Cool.

Quarterstaves are not battlefield weapons. The people that would use a quarterstaff as a main weapon are so few I would rather make it a specific lance that's prf or locked to a class rather than a new weapon type.

Anyway, I hate it that halberds are effective axes, 'cause halberds are mainly a thrusting weapon, so they fit better as lances. It is notable that those weapons are translated as halberds most of the time but in the japanese games are always called poleaxes.

By the way I would like for the blacksmits back, like in FE4 (just... not all weapons should have exactly 50 uses and maybe broken weapons could be lost).

Lol nah, this is still about things from newer games getting renewed, and I thought it would be epic to bring back the Poleaxes (really though as Halberds), but for a new purpose (can't replace those Beastkillers). Quarterstaffs I think would also be perfectly fine for FE, even though they weren't used during actual wars, because a lot of units in FE are unarmored. Also I'm a firm believer that lances, axes, and swords shouldn't have limited uses before breaking, maybe they should require repair though after you've used it a certain number of battles. 

16 hours ago, Enaluxeme said:

I'm going to add that axes were rarely used in actual warfare, and that most militaries didn't really use swords, either. Swords were generally sidearms, to be used if a knight's lance broke. Common soldiers were rarely fielded with swords, because the training required to properly use one took awhile. Instead, they were equipped with pikes or halberds, because the training was quick. This is in medieval times, of course. Going back further, most armies tended to use spears, javelins, pilum, etc. Those that did carry swords (e.g. some Greek nations (notably Spartans), the Romans on occasion) still used them as a sidearm. There were very few exceptions to this rule. The ease of use and versatility of a lance is not to be underestimated. Hell, even Samurai didn't really use their katana that often. The main weapon used by Samurai were longbows, with the katana acting as a sidearm (again), and as a symbol of their prestige. The main reason so many FE characters use swords is because they are generally considered "heroic," mostly due to pop culture.

As for axes, the only civilization that used axes as a primary weapon was the Vikings, to my knowledge. For them, axes worked well because they mostly raided small settlements. Since they rarely faced organized military might, the unwieldiness of axes didn't hinder them, and the sight of a giant viking bearing down on villagers with an axe is likely to have stopped any resistance the villagers would have put up. (On further research, axes were actually more common in warfare than swords. I'm not sure what is defined as an "axe" on the site I'm looking at, though)

So yeah. Fire Emblem is no stranger to weapons that would never have actually been used.

EDIT: In retrospect, I realize this doesn't have anything to do with the topic. So... other stuff to be added back to FE games include 3 weapon generals, as others have mentioned, and deemphasizing skills. While that latter part isn't adding anything, I think the huge numbers of skills now present tend to just muck up and overcomplicate the game. It would be nice if a number of the more basic and "numbers" skills would be removed, like the stat+2 skills, avoid+ skills, hit+ skills, etc. Also, a reduction in the number of skills per unit would be great (honestly, a Heroes style thing would be pretty cool. For instance, one rng skill (sol, luna, lethality, etc), one stat skill (I know this contradicts what I just said, but... eh), and one utility skill (like vantage, paragon, breaker skills, etc)). Finally, a greater emphasis on personal skills (although I do think Fates did that pretty well). It is amazing what can be added through simplifying. Alright, enough with this post, its way too bloated.

Edited by DolphinDingus

SoV had a lot of things I liked, particularly the way it handled archers, as well as the bonus experience, so I'd like these to become a staple to the series, alongside memory prisms.

Rescuing helped me out a lot in Blazing Blade, and I know that it will again in Sacred Stones, which I've just started, so I'd like it to come back.

Limited supports would be lovely, but don't restrict them to one A support per character a la GBA era.

And could we bring back lords like Marth and Roy who don't loudly exclaim their personality? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Hero_Lucina said:

The unity the fans had before Awakening came out making the split.

If not then then bosses like Arvis and Reinhardt. Good villians

The fanbase was far from unified before Awakening. 

I mean, it was definitely MORE unified, but there were still segments of fans that were like "Jugdral is best." "No, Elibe is best." and "Shut up, Tellius is best." There just wasn't a massive fissure that you could point to like nowadays. 

If anything, Awakening stopped the old cliques from fighting amongst each other and gave them all a new target to focus on. 

But yes, good villains should be a priority. If not good, then at least understandable. Echoes was kind of a step in the right direction. 

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

The fanbase was far from unified before Awakening. 

I mean, it was definitely MORE unified, but there were still segments of fans that were like "Jugdral is best." "No, Elibe is best." and "Shut up, Tellius is best." There just wasn't a massive fissure that you could point to like nowadays. 

If anything, Awakening stopped the old cliques from fighting amongst each other and gave them all a new target to focus on. 

But yes, good villains should be a priority. If not good, then at least understandable. Echoes was kind of a step in the right direction. 

Oh. I thought it was like an avatar like thing. I just hate if someone starts with the 3ds games, they get attacked or if they like a character from there normally. 

1 minute ago, Hero_Lucina said:

Oh. I thought it was like an avatar like thing. I just hate if someone starts with the 3ds games, they get attacked or if they like a character from there normally. 

Yeah, the place I came from, Sacred Stones was a running joke for years and years before even Radiant Dawn came out, pretty much from release. It took me a while to get used to places like this where Sacred Stones is fairly respected, as much as I still dislike it. Even more than getting used to people liking Awakening, because I actually did really like Awakening at some point, so it wasn't as much of a stretch for me to still see people who really like it.

This was similar elsewhere. Depending on what forums you went on, people had their favorites and least favorites. And depending on how tight-knit the community was, the least favorites were mostly just jokes.

30 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, the place I came from, Sacred Stones was a running joke for years and years before even Radiant Dawn came out, pretty much from release. It took me a while to get used to places like this where Sacred Stones is fairly respected, as much as I still dislike it. Even more than getting used to people liking Awakening, because I actually did really like Awakening at some point, so it wasn't as much of a stretch for me to still see people who really like it.

This was similar elsewhere. Depending on what forums you went on, people had their favorites and least favorites. And depending on how tight-knit the community was, the least favorites were mostly just jokes.

Google+ worships FE4 and 10

• Mount/Dismount - It was an interesting mechanic that I can see having tons of potential for a future FE title.
  • Bonus Experience - Takes out that tedious grind.  I'd even be okay if they limited the amount of stats that raise per level up like they did in RD.
  • 3rd Tier Classes - I'm always down for 3rd tier classes.
  • While not necessarily old anymore since they used it in SoV, but fatigue is interesting and a mechanic I can see working really well in a series where people are fighting a lot.  I liked how SoV handled it so I do want it to return.