About other characters; a datamine (spoilers)

Ertrick36

https://pastebin.com/FQ5hbdYr

So I came across this datamine with English battle text.

A quick name-search (control-F character name) revealed that there are callouts to certain characters.

Spoiler

"So cool, Owain! Show me some more special techniques!"

"Be careful what you wish for, Niles.  Here it comes!"

"I've never been happier to see you, Oboro."  Me neither, disembodied voice that may or may not belong to Takumi.

"Nobody can call me weak if I defeat you, Navarre. Here I come!"

This seems to indicate that these particular characters are or will be playable at some point, probably the latter.  Might just be leftover content, but given the nature of this all, I highly doubt it isn't meant to ever be implemented.

And one other thing.

Spoiler

I name-searched Azura, but couldn't find any entries, which means they hadn't seemed to have started work on her before the game went gold.

A minor thing, but I'm glad for this from a business ethical standpoint.  And it points more to our NPC friends not being paid DLC like Azura is, though it by no means confirms as much.

Also, I tried doing the same for the villains and Darrius, but to no avail.  Not sure what that implies about them aside from the fact that they're not playable at all.

Feel free to name-search any other possible characters in the datamine, though I think this is probably all we're getting for now.

Edited by Ertrick36

Oboro, Niles, Owain and Navarre all have quotes in those files, actual quotes they themselves say, so it's likely they'll be DLC at some point.

For example, from Oboro's: 

We're allies for now, so...don't take my facial expression personally.

Edited by Azure Sen

1 hour ago, Azure Sen said:

Oboro, Niles, Owain and Navarre all have quotes in those files, actual quotes they themselves say, so it's likely they'll be DLC at some point.

For example, from Oboro's: 

Ugh why dlc? I don’t want to wait until March for them all to be playable 

15 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Ugh why dlc? I don’t want to wait until March for them all to be playable 

Hyrule Warriors made the three initially non-playable villains playable in free DLC a month after it launched, so I'm hoping FE Warriors will do the same with Oboro and company.

4 hours ago, Azure Sen said:

Hyrule Warriors made the three initially non-playable villains playable in free DLC a month after it launched, so I'm hoping FE Warriors will do the same with Oboro and company.

So we can assume that they'd be playable around the time the game releases in the west?

'Boro at launch is something I can get down with.

1 hour ago, TheSS said:

Is there anything that might suggest Kellam being added to the game? I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't voice lines AT him, but any by him?

Nope. Not surprising, because outside of memes he doesn't really have a reason to be in.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

So we can assume that they'd be playable around the time the game releases in the west?

Within a month of launch I'd say, same as HW's villains DLC.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Careful not to assume anything. 

Looking into this franchise, it ain’t the first time they’ve added npc 

5 hours ago, Azure Sen said:

Within a month of launch I'd say, same as HW's villains DLC.

That's what I meant, since it releases October 20th, which is just a week shy of a month from now.

4 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

Careful not to assume anything. 

Looking into this franchise, it ain’t the first time they’ve added npc 

You're right on both fronts, but...

I think the way people are analyzing all this data, they're likely to be playable characters eventually.  Keep in mind that all this dialogue is only possible between two playable characters; NPCs never engage in this type of dialogue.  They might have even recorded lines.  In fact, it might be that the only thing missing is the unique animations/movesets, and they might have started work on those after the game went gold.  There seems to be quite a bit that indicates this game being sort of rushed.

It's possible that they won't be made playable, but that'd be wasted development time and resources just to get nowhere, especially when at least two of them seem to offer something different from the norm.  And all of them are quite popular, even though that doesn't always seem to be a deciding factor in this regard.

I'd like to see what @Jedi thinks about this whenever he might become available, him being the resident Warriors vet and all.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that Hyrule Warriors, which is the most similar game to this one that I can think of, had a similar circumstance with NPC's that have player character dialogue, and all of them became playable.  That is largely why everyone seems to think this will be the case for these characters.

Edited by Ertrick36

Spoiler

Oboro: Lord Takumi has come to my aid? Aren’t I a lucky gal!

Niles (I think is him): Oboro, your performance made me tingle all over. What? I can say that!

Not sure: You went all out, Oboro… I bet your liege is proud!

Not sure: I’ve never been happier to see you, Oboro.

Wonder if this is Leo???: You’re magnificent with a spear, Oboro! I wish I had retainers of such quality…

Takumi????: I couldn’t let you die, Oboro. Who else would pick out my clothes?

This is great, is like... Hope for her to be playable!!!! (also, probably Oboro and Niles have supports? it looks that they can interact)

Who ever it was, I want to say "I’ve never been happier to see you, Oboro." too!!!

20 minutes ago, SniperGYS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Niles (I think is him): Oboro, your performance made me tingle all over. What? I can say that!

Wonder if this is Leo???: You’re magnificent with a spear, Oboro! I wish I had retainers of such quality…

This is great, is like... Hope for her to be playable!!!! (also, probably Oboro and Niles have supports? it looks that they can interact)

Who ever it was, I want to say "I’ve never been happier to see you, Oboro." too!!!

The "retainers of such quality" line is Hinoka (since both of hers suck).

40 minutes ago, SniperGYS said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

- Obviously Oboro

- Pretty sure that's Niles; who else would talk like that among the cast we know of?

- No clue, but probably someone who isn't royalty (maybe even someone outside of the Fates world)

- I just assume that's Takumi, since that sounds like a phrase you'd say to someone you've known for a while and are reasonably close to

- Very likely Hinoka instead, since she actually repeatedly mentions the fact that her retainers are both incompetent (and they are)

- Who else would she pick clothes for?

Anyway, you know I'll always be rallying for 'Boro ヽRGaYS2c.png

Well if they get added for free, good for FEW! If DLC, how dare you KT! ...But it's progress, if not done in the best way possible.

Unfortunately, the initial issues of this game's release and PR are taking something of a toll on me. And I'm having this irrational bitter little fragment of myself is hoping these characters don't get added at all so this game can be deemed even more of failure.

I don't seriously want that, I do want FEW to get better and for my reasons to complain to fade away, and this game's PR and launch flaws to fade into the archives of history to be largely forgotten.