Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer

Captain Karnage

"This place...aint no such thing as...civilized."

From what people are saying, the gang of characters are supposed to be the Van Der Linde AKA "Dutch's Gang". Same outlaws that John Marston ran with before the events of the first game. No word yet if we'll see the previous protagonist though, my money is on this being a prequel, despite the big 2 in the title.

Thought it was already confirmed to be a prequel to the first game, but I suppose I might have been wrong there.  I do remember people saying it wouldn't be viable to make a game set after the first one, since it was about the end of that era, so it has to take place before it at any rate.

Anyway, yeah it's looking to be another fantastic experience.  The environments look gorgeous, the aesthetic is on point, and since it's Rockstar, you can be confident this is how it will look.  I'm not sure if it will reach the heights of the first RDR, because it's so solidified as a masterpiece to me, but Rockstar's surprised me before, so I won't say it's impossible.  Also a little worried about their recent shift in business philosophy, even though I know they're committed to providing a single-player experience firstly.  Whatever, I'm excited. 

I remember hearing a troubling rumor earlier this year that RDR2 was going to be an MMO style open world game with procedurally generated objectives, gang raids on towns and banks, etc. So I'm most pleased to see the game has a narrative at all. I'm not too hung up about how this game will relate to the previous one. RDR1 had no ties to Revolver and still managed to surpass our expectations. But it will be fun to speculate character relations and possible cameo appearances. This trailer is making me want to do that replay of RDR.

This is a big deal- I'm a little ashamed to admit that with the first game I completely blanked on the gaming press and only bought it like 2 years after release when I saw it feutured in one of Jerma's (of TF2 fame) videos. Anyway, it looks like Q1 2018 will be an amazing time for video games.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

From what people are saying, the gang of characters are supposed to be the Van Der Linde AKA "Dutch's Gang". Same outlaws that John Marston ran with before the events of the first game. No word yet if we'll see the previous protagonist though, my money is on this being a prequel, despite the big 2 in the title.

Ah, that's why the name seemed familiar.  Maybe I oughta play the game again; it's been a while.

Spoiler

But then I'd have to relive that tragic ending.

48 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I remember hearing a troubling rumor earlier this year that RDR2 was going to be an MMO style open world game with procedurally generated objectives, gang raids on towns and banks, etc.

I...

Don't really know how to feel about those rumors.

I mean, Rockstar seems to know how to make fun missions/objectives these days.  But I don't like MMO's all that much, and it almost always seems that radiant quests are extremely bland.

In any event, I too am pleased that R* still actually wrote a story for the game.  In an era of gaming that's starting to put more emphasis on replayable gameplay than anything else, it's always refreshing to see other games embrace other aspects.

And yes, I'm totally hyped for Spaghetti Western: The Game 2 - Electric Boogaloo.  I can't wait to put a horse in front of a train and watch it explode into a cloud of mist... but with more glorious grafix.  Of course it won't release on PC though, will it?

8 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I...

Don't really know how to feel about those rumors.

I mean, Rockstar seems to know how to make fun missions/objectives these days.  But I don't like MMO's all that much, and it almost always seems that radiant quests are extremely bland.

In any event, I too am pleased that R* still actually wrote a story for the game.  In an era of gaming that's starting to put more emphasis on replayable gameplay than anything else, it's always refreshing to see other games embrace other aspects.

And yes, I'm totally hyped for Spaghetti Western: The Game 2 - Electric Boogaloo.  I can't wait to put a horse in front of a train and watch it explode into a cloud of mist... but with more glorious grafix.  Of course it won't release on PC though, will it?

Maybe I made it sound more dreary than most people would imply. Basically the rumor was that it would be GTA Online, but for Red Dead. And people love GTA Online. So much they'd gladly pay 60 dollars for it and its associated DLC updates. I'm just not one of those people.

Can't wait for gameplay trailers. I'm curious if we'll be taking the roles of all these protagonists and can switch seamlessly like in GTA5. Or if they'll go the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood route in having a "call gang" button that summons these guys as AI partners helping you with objectives. I would love the former, but this is a western. One probably reminiscent of the Magnificent Seven, so I'm expecting many of these men will die as the story progresses. And players may not respond well to their beloved characters getting axed off. I also can't wait to see the Dead Eye Targeting mechanic and how well that looks in action.

It's not exactly a smart move to only make RDR2 the equivalent to GTA Online.  Despite the fact that GTA Online is financially successful, and it's more or less guaranteed to be in RDR2 (similar to the way it is in GTAV with a story, and the the online mode is what they'll focus on), the way GTA Online is currently perceived is not good, especially when you consider the recent and/or ongoing controversies on the PC version.  Rockstar would be treading on very thin ice with that, but uhh I think I'm just rambling about something that's not even happening. 

Seems like it's possible for the game to have multiple protagonists though since the description says the game is about "the story of outlaw Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang."  I'd love to see them expand upon the multiple main characters system they had in GTAV, because there wasn't too much to it in the game, so it would be interesting if they added additional functionality/dynamics.  I see a lot of people complaining about the characters being assholes and whatnot, but I think they forget that they are a gang, and we can't just expect another John Marston.  I'll wait until there's more information about them before making my judgement, but Rockstar's been good at writing characters for a while now, so we could be fairly confident in that. 

edit: actually it's likely that John may show up at the very end of the game or something, or maybe he'll join up somewhere in the middle too.  it's kind of a missed opportunity to not explore that part of John even though I'd rather they not use it as a crutch, but to fill in the blanks or something.  maybe it ruins the ambiguity of his past in the first one, but it would be interesting. 

Edited by Disinnocence
added point whatever