Can you play multiplayer with just two Joycons?

Moondrag

2 hours ago, KongDude said:

I want to know too actually. I was going to ask sooner but forgot to. I think the only thing that would restrict it from 1P per Joycon would be camera issues.

im sure they could press the lock button or guard button to place the camera behind them. so it should be a bit fine.

I asked this in the Spoiler Q&A thread, but didn't get an answer. I would presume a single Joy Con has enough buttons to make it feasible. I mean, they were able to make Smash playable with a Wii Remote by itself. Not as complicated as Warriors controls, but still. I'll probably get a Pro Controller anyway just 'cause I prefer a traditional controller.

I recalled something like this being mentioned in a leak or something, but I never was able to get confirmation, who knows maybe I just wanted to believe that was the case and superimposed the announcement on something though.

So if anyone has anything on this it would be much appreciated.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/feature_we_quiz_the_fire_emblem_warriors_developers_on_characters_game_design_and_more

Is Fire Emblem Warriors going to have local splitscreen, similar to Hyrule Warriors?

Hayashi-san: Yes. We anticipated people would like that kind of gameplay, so we’ve made local co-op available where you can separate the joy-con from the system and play splitscreen.

17 minutes ago, kingddd said:

I think the question now should be, "can you use any other configuration besides split joy cons".

11 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I think the question now should be, "can you use any other configuration besides split joy cons".

yes.  Pro controllers are supported. 58:59 is the splitscreen gameplay demonstration.

below is the demonstration of activating 2 player mode.

Edited by kingddd

5 hours ago, kingddd said:

yes.  Pro controllers are supported. 58:59 is the splitscreen gameplay demonstration.

below is the demonstration of activating 2 player mode.

Ah. Thank you thank you thank you, Triple D. That answered both questions I had about co-op. I can play with my sister from the get-go, and musou cut-in portraits remain intact. A shame there was no victory animation. I hope that was just turned off by accident.

I didn't know Kwing was streaming the game. Had I known, I'd have checked it in a heartbeat knowing he would try to do co-op with his lovely wife.

Wouldn't you know it, right after I got confirmation in this thread, I checked this thread where someone showed off the Treasure Box edition and we finally see the back of the game case.

59ced79ba2940_FEWarriorsJPCaseBackside.png.84a53ad5fe81626c66c46a8839924739.png

59ced7b89e687_FEWarriorsJoyConCo-opConfirmed.png.03fef84d8e78e319a22c42e2c146c963.png

And there's our Joy Con co-op, clear as day. If anyone wanted picture proof, there you go.

On 9/29/2017 at 7:35 PM, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Wouldn't you know it, right after I got confirmation in this thread, I checked this thread where someone showed off the Treasure Box edition and we finally see the back of the game case.

59ced79ba2940_FEWarriorsJPCaseBackside.png.84a53ad5fe81626c66c46a8839924739.png

59ced7b89e687_FEWarriorsJoyConCo-opConfirmed.png.03fef84d8e78e319a22c42e2c146c963.png

And there's our Joy Con co-op, clear as day. If anyone wanted picture proof, there you go.

I will remain ever sceptical, lets just wait for the game to be released outside of japan first.

I have the jp version and I can confirm that you can play co op with one pair of joycons.

There is some difference between the controls though. Activating awakening mode requires you to press both the L and R buttons, the L button centers the camera behind you since you don't have an extra control stick to move the camera, I also couldn't swap characters on the fly as well but had to pause the game to do that, locking on required you to click in the control stick.

• 4 months later...

Help! I really want to play this game with my girlfriend :( 

Has anyone had trouble getting the left joycon to register player 2? When I see the 'press L in' prompt on the menu I click it but don't get any access to player 2. In fact it seems to screw up the controls for the whole game. Do I need to do something to get my switch to recognize the 2nd joycon as a separate player or something?

14 hours ago, JoshMP said:

Help! I really want to play this game with my girlfriend :( 

Has anyone had trouble getting the left joycon to register player 2? When I see the 'press L in' prompt on the menu I click it but don't get any access to player 2. In fact it seems to screw up the controls for the whole game. Do I need to do something to get my switch to recognize the 2nd joycon as a separate player or something?

It's a bit misguided since it always says to press L and R to connect. That's specifically for connecting two Joy Cons as one controller like when used in the Joy Con Grip. To connect single Joy Cons as sideways controllers, you have to press the SL and SR buttons on the thin black side of the Joy Con. If you hold just one of the buttons, the animation will cycle between the two prompts to show you which formation the Joy Con will assume. But you don't have to do it specifically when that prompt shows up.

nRuqslD.png

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade