An alternative take on the second generation's origin in Fates

Jingle Jangle

I understand that the child units in Fates are generally considered weak for a story perceptive and opening up a be of weird implications. I am going to going to  attempt a retelling of all  of the Fates to make them have more interesting than growing up the the babyrealms. 

Siegbert:

Spoiler

First of all, entirely remove the origin of the babyrealms and being Xander's son. So his new origin he will be an ex member of the Noiran Royal Family. Due to the only way or him to survive the concubine wars was to be removed of his royal status. However, his still has a high rank in the Noiran army due to Xander's influence. Because of Xander trying to cushion the impact of his removed title, he views Xander as the ideal  Noiran knight. To the point where he modeled his appearance and personality after him. Because of his past.  he doesn't consider the royal family as siblings due to his past, and considers Corrin to be a kidnapped Hoshidan prince. This way he can still use dragon veins, and look like a  younger Xander. He would still be a optional character to recruit.

Forrest: 

Spoiler

Similar to Siegbert, he to the a ex-royal of the Noir family. Who lost his title so he  could escapse the concubine wars. He would be a tailor living the Noiran capital, who got captured by Bandits like in the game. This reason Forrest is in touch with his feminine side is because his mother (which is not the same one as Leo ) was a model, surrounded by women and fashion with no father figure, he slowly grew a feminine taste. His relationship the Norian family is positive. After all Forrest does design their clothes, while Forrest his happy to see them, and hold no grudges over the concubine wars.

Ignatius:

Spoiler

A Nohrian border guard in Macarath, who have been relocated there after being a guard for Faceless creation. After hearing the screams of hundreds of Faceless from their creation, it wore down Ignatius' mind to a former person of he used to be. He need a change from the darkest parts of Nohr, his superior approved and got relocated to a small village . o when Faceless are being brought up in conversations or he is fighting against, Ignatius on the inside is trembling. But he will still to protect the weak as is expected from a knight.

Dwyer:

Spoiler

A servant in Castle Krakenburg. Compared to the rest of his peers at an early age Dwyer is more of a follower instead of a leader. That's why his father (not Jakob) suggested the idea for him to a serve the king, the greatest honor a Nohrian to do. After surpassing all tests before him, in a couple years Dwyer was serving tea for royals. Jakob stills view him as a rival of a fear of being replaced. The ironic thing is that what Dwyer wants, as seen in his support conservation with  Corrin.

I will try to add the rest of the child units later next week.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

• Jingle Jangle changed the title to An alternative take on the second generation's origin in Fates

I think you posted Siegbert's changes into Forrest's section.

While I'm very negative about the deeprealm nonsense I think not making some characters into the children of their fathers might do more harm then good. It can be easily done for someone like Percy who's more Arthur's sidekick then his son but with Siegbert its much harder.

Siegberts complex regarding Xander comes off as more endearing because he's his son. If Siegbert isn't his child it can go from cute but problematic admiration to an off putting and maybe even creepy degree of hero worship. Still having him be a relative of Xander helps lessen that but not really enough in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think you posted Siegbert's changes into Forrest's section.

While I'm very negative about the deeprealm nonsense I think not making some characters into the children of their fathers might do more harm then good. It can be easily done for someone like Percy who's more Arthur's sidekick then his son but with Siegbert its much harder.

Siegberts complex regarding Xander comes off as more endearing because he's his son. If Siegbert isn't his child it can go from cute but problematic admiration to an off putting and maybe even creepy degree of hero worship. Still having him be a relative of Xander helps lessen that but not really enough in my opinion.

My intention was that Siegbert views Xander as a role model, not to the extent of worshiping him, or becoming Xander himself. So that if he is recruited  he is his own person, not as a Xander want to be. Also in the future I'll try to limit the relationships between the first generation the the second parents.

It's a neat idea, but I'll have to second Emperor. Taking away the fact that they're the kids of 1st gen males just seems like...too much of a change.

The babyrealms are the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in my life though, I agree with that...I would've rather had a time skip. Because people would hate it if they just recycled the time travel from Awakening, even if it is better anyway.

Not bad, keep up on it, it's a decent creative exercise.

I tried my hand at dechilding some of the kids as well:

My Siegbert (a more original twisting):

Spoiler
  • Siegbert: The young head of a notable noble family of Nohr. When his father died a couple years ago, he became the new head of the noble house. His uncle helped manage things so his young nephew would not be overwhelmed by the task, but his uncle mismanaged the family’s finances and drove it heavily into debt. Siegbert blames himself for the problems his uncle caused, as he had a difficult time bringing himself to turn down his uncle’s new spending requests or to question his judgement or criticize him. Very likable, and handsome and young, he admittedly enjoys conversation with the ladies (and the ladies love the fact he has status and money- in theory at least). He desperately wants to cull his trusting, kind nature that has sunk his family into debt, but struggles to reign in his charitable side. As a military officer, Siegbert is knowledgable and disciplined, and it is partly that military ethos that makes him overly trusting. In the military, the ethos keeps everyone generally in line and working efficiently, and he only has to use heavy punishment rarely, with lesser punishments (which he doesn’t love doing, but does as it must be done to keep order and justice) getting his point across. Outside of the military, not recognizing the absence of that ethos is his error.

My Forrest:

Spoiler
  • An illegitimate child of Garon bestowed on a fair maid servant in his frustrations after Arete died [part of a rewrite of Fates I tried, but it isn't that relevant here]. Five years later, Leo spotted the maid slaving away with her little child, whose appearance he noted was familiar (because he looked like him and his siblings). Asking the maid of the child’s father, the maid quietly replied to the no-nonsense prince Leo that he was of Garon born. Leo believed the woman and spared her and her child from worry by sending them into Camilla’s care, given her charitably to children and single mothers. Four more years passed, and Forrest, now nine, returned to Leo, wanting to serve the one who rescued him and his mother. Leo was kind, and allowed him to join his retinue. While Forrest’s long locks of hair weren’t an issue, Leo found Forrest’s personalized attire, now of the high standard required by a notable royal servant, to be problematic, particularly the color. Leo tried to tell Forrest to change it scolding after scolding, but Forrest he found kept wearing it when not involved in public occasions. Leo grew utterly frustrated with his efforts, but ultimately yielded to Forrest by the end of a year of trying. Forrest was thankful to Leo, and asked why he relented. Leo told Forrest that he suspected with a high degree of certainty that he was his half-brother, an illegitimate child of King Garon. Forrest was shocked by the news. Leo then told Forrest never to speak of this, not even to his other half-siblings, as illegitimacy is an issue that could endanger his life and upset Nohrian court politics. Forrest, swore to obey his strict, but well-meaning half brother. Leo then responded that if there was anything Forrest wanted to talk about, anything, he would be there for him and willing to listen and help if need be, no matter how busy or sick he was. Forrest treasures this about his brother. His nontraditional appearance led him to getting picked on a lot, and Niles harasses him just as he does women, Leo tries to keep Niles away from him for this reason. Nonetheless, Leo allows Forrest to serve as both a servant in a variety of tasks. They include domestic work, he is a good at laundry, and caring for his often ill big brother and savior; though cooking is not his thing. Also, paperwork, which is not so interesting, but he does it to help Leo. Leo gives Forrest some say in his wardrobe as well, but minds him to keep it from being too feminine. His mother now works at a charity Camilla patronizes, and it was there he learned his domestic abilities caring for others, including younger children. That said, his cross-dressing and feminine appearance and interests are his nature as well. He prefers conservative dress to the scandalous, but is willing to make skimpier clothing for Camilla to wear, who adores him (but does not know Leo directed him and his mom to her charity). After Leo revealed their relation, he taught Forrest horseback riding (he came to like horses and became an animal lover), and then aimed to teach him magic as a means of self defense. Yet, Forrest hates bloodshed, and hesitated to fight. So instead, Leo taught Forrest the healing arts instead so that he at the least would be able to keep somebody alive who could protect him. Forrest is still scared by the sight of blood a little, but he hates bloodshed more, and thus prefers to help others during war by healing and mending wounds, both with magic and nonmagical means.

My Shiro:

Spoiler
  • Shiro: The son and heir to a prominent noble family in Hoshido, which over two decades ago received King Sumeragi’s sister (or they received a Hoshidan royal two generations ago). Thus, Shiro is Ryoma’s cousin, instead of son in this scenario. Shiro and Ryoma enjoy battle together, and have a friendly rivalry going between them. Yet off the battlefield, Ryoma and Shiro greatly differ. Shiro is wild, even wilder than Hinata. Shiro stays away from home most of the time, wandering the world and having a good time. Whenever Shiro stops by his family’s estate or Hoshido Castle, he just barges in, often filthy, and kicks back, asking for some strong drink. To Ryoma, Shiro is an embarrassment to his noble family and demands that he act the part. Shiro says that is not his way, and tells Ryoma he is honestly no different from him. Ryoma rejects this, yes, he may want to have fun like Shiro, but he is able to restrain himself, and as a prince, has to restrain himself. He does it not just as prince and future king, but also because if he fails to uphold his duties, they will fall on his beloved siblings. Ryoma then states this is why he enjoys the battlefield, it permits him to release himself of some of the pomp and circumstance his position forces onto him, and with that controlled release, he is able to earn greater prosperity for his kingdom and fulfill duties associated with a prince. Shiro is contemplative at times, and rather wise when he feels like it. Still has potent first blood in him. Kiragi is a friend of his, they first met in Shirasagi in the company of their pals Ryoma and Takumi, and later the randomly wandering Shiro happened to stumble by Kiragi’s village. The two go on occasional wild adventures together, with Shiro leading, and Kiragi commenting or providing ideas.

My Kiragi:

Spoiler
  • A Hoshidan commoner (not sure which region of Hoshido he should be from) with a youthful appearance from a rather poor family of farmers (possibly with an abusive/drunkard father and or abused/broken/sick/addicted/abusive mother). Kiragi’s optimism is boundless despite the terrible conditions of his upbringing. He grew up with a love for hunting (starting at ~age 3), which he did whenever he got the free chance to do so. One day, the young (~6) Takumi, eager not just to practice the katana, but also the yumi (kids want to do everything), was visiting the region where Kiragi lived on a hunting trip. Kiragi saw the great retinue that accompanied Takumi, and grabbed his yumi and snuck away to watch them. Seeing the fun of the hunt, and in particular how a boy with a bow slightly older than him was the center of attention, decided to join in. Hiding in the bushes, he waited for Takumi to take aim at a particular piece of game and ready his arrow, just as Takumi was about to fire, Kiragi shot the creature dead on. Immediately royal servants rushed over to find the shooter of that arrow and dragged out Kiragi, ready to take him away for punishment. Takumi saw the kid however and bid his servants stop, Kiragi acted rather casually with Takumi to the servants’ astonishment, but Takumi bid the servants to let Kiragi stay. The two spent the rest of the day in competition, and Takumi offered to let Kiragi come with him. Kiragi declined the request and returned home. Takumi would later make return visits to Kiragi and eventually succeeded in getting him to visit Castle Shirasagi, join him on hunting tours, and whatnot. Yet, Kiragi would always return home eventually, despite the poor conditions of it, and he never became Takumi’s retainer either, and Takumi always respected his friend’s refusal. Kiragi cares about Takumi, and visits frequently enough, he just doesn’t think life as a warrior-servant is his kind of thing, and he apologizes to Takumi for it. Takumi tells him he doesn’t have to. Unlike with others, Takumi was never really angry at losing to Kiragi, though he did keep up his competitiveness. Mikoto welcomed Kiragi as Takumi’s friend, and once watched the two practicing shooting at targets. Mikoto then showed them her own talent with the yumi, gained not by archery, but by a form of meditation (this is a real thing) she had picked up. In it, she focuses on herself and her control of the bow and the arrow through the entire, drawn out, slow process of loading and firing, never at all thinking about the target or hitting anything, only control over her own actions. Takumi and Kiragi didn’t get it, but the boys were wowed when she struck the distant target right dead in the center. On my various remade routes, Kiragi does not appear alongside Takumi, but rather shows up later, either as something of an Est or as a pre-promoted Sniper on Birthright. The reason behind this is that Takumi does not want his best friend to get caught up in the fighting, and hence forbade him from joining the Hoshidan Army. Takumi has enough of the people he cares about caught up in the war who he could possibly lose, he wants somebody to stay out of it for a little peace of mind.

My Shigure:

Spoiler
  • A rather cosmopolitan Hoshidan whose father was a wealthy merchantman who married into a minor noble family in exchange for supporting them with his fortunes. The affluence of his upbringing led Shigure to travel through both Nohrian and Hoshidan cities quite frequently. A dandy and an artist of many forms, his personal style blends elements of Nohr and Hoshido together in a manner that is exuberant, but at times excessive and tacky. Shigure decided to join the Hoshidan military out of his love for the drama of war as shown on the opera stage and in other arts, and out of noblesse oblige, found very much also in those arts. Though his dramatic nature is problematic at times, he does show some competency on the battlefield, particularly when his artistic keenness and want of perfection is channeled just right. A retainer of Aqua in my reworking of Fates, he dyed his hair as close to as her majestic shade of blue as he could get, to honor her, and because he liked the color so much. (Heart class is now Apothecary- to reflect on his father’s merchant background).

Hisame:

Spoiler
  • Hisame is rumored to have originally been Hinata’s brother, hence why I started this little thought (with Hubert from ToG in mind). I’d say keep him as the little bro, not twin though, and say he is the responsible one in the family. While Hinata runs off and has fun with Takumi, Hisame spends his time learning to manage the affairs of their noble house, and engaging in intellectual pursuits.  He has a little practice in swordplay for self-defense, but does not feel the need to take it further. Hisame has some love for his brother, but is largely unconcerned with him on the surface, saying he wishes Hinata does not die of his recklessness to avoid bringing misery to mother and father. Hisame knows his criticisms won’t change his brother’s ways, so he does not try to reform Hinata or even stay in touch with him at times. Since Hinata is the retainer of a Hoshidan prince, a prestigious position, Hisame does credit his brother with providing a boost to their family’s fortunes and status through his duty to Takumi. Takumi himself has at times asked Hisame if he would join him as another retainer, as Hinata has requested it. Hisame courteously spurns it each time, though he is a tad critical of Takumi for his own behaviors, which occasionally serve to worsen those bad ones of Hinata. Yet Hisame remains polite in his criticisms of Takumi, he would not want to upset a member of Hoshidan royalty, particularly the insecure Takumi, and risk his family’s fortunes. Nonetheless, he does try to appease Takumi’s requests for him to become a retainer by doing various favors for him and Hinata- such as buying them new weapons, armor, favorite foods, or by helping cut down the military logistics load they handle. Hisame aims to convince his parents to divert from the default of having Hinata chosen as the heir to their noble house, because: Hinata is ill-suited for it, Hinata would be happier free from formal obligations, and because Hisame himself, despite his protestations, wants it.

My Rhajat:

Spoiler
  • Of mixed Flame and Wind Tribe ancestry, Rhajat is obsessed with geomancy and divination. Through mastery of the heavens and earth, Rhajat experiments with power, seeking immorality and destructive might alike. She lives alone, on an eccentric diet. To make a living, she does offer her notably good skills to anyone willing to pay the high price, and is willing to ignore any offense they should make upon her should they pay, in gold or in rare items necessary for her schemes. If they get too annoying however, she will find a magical way of getting at them.

My Caeldori:

Spoiler
  • A promising young woman who serves in the Hoshidan air force. She used to serve under Reina, who was quite the mentor and senior commander. Later, Aqua took her as a retainer. A bit moody and glum compared to Shigure, the two contrast rather well. 

Nina and Soleil:

Spoiler
  • Nina: A girl raised among bandits and other outlaws. She herself grew into a fine outlaw, fast, quite cunning, a daring treasure-seeker, and charming enough to dupe men who underestimate her cunning. She can get overly obsessive with mocking and toying with the males she has outwitted, undermining her rational thinking processes (making herself vulnerable to being outwitted) and harming her reputation. Sometimes, she gathers her own bandits (often men she has tricked into following her) and leads them, others, she goes freelance as individual bandit or even mercenary.
  • Soleil: A freelance mercenary with a bright, outgoing, sociable personality. She enjoys girl talk on any topic and doing girl things. With men, she flirts a good bit with her usual robustness, but derives much more fun when she has a chance to indulge in matchmaking for her female friends, chat about their ongoing relationships, or go on group dates. As for mercenary work, she travels around, taking up whatever decent task there is for her to do with all of her energy. When Selena and Laslow first arrived in this world, they bumped into her and spent some time together when they began looking for work. She is a bit shy with men underneath, she just finds things more comfortable and relatable around other women, men are a separate world. Also a friend of Ophelia.

Sophie and Ophelia:

Spoiler
  • Sophie: A young knight errant, who travels with her horse Avel (an Abel reference possibly given the b/v English transliteration thing with Japanese). Sophie was enthralled with adventure tales of knights as a kid and took up service to Nohr in hopes of herself becoming some glorious knight of legend. Finishing basic training, she failed to complete the rest of it, partly out of her own breaking with military discipline. But she also left so she could set off on her own path as a wandering knight who would grow as they traveled Nohr and Hoshido alike helping those in need and dueling foes. Avel sometimes acts such as though they want to help, forcing Sophie to help out even when she does not want to, but at other times, he hinders Sophie’s helping instead. She plans to return to Nohr and finish becoming a knight once she feels she has accomplished enough.
  • Ophelia: A sweet bookish girl. Originally a good deal introspective, and still so to a degree, she broke out of her shell by adopting many exaggerated personas she can switch between, thus bypassing her socialization issues by always acting according to her currently-in-use persona’s defined traits. (Alternatively, Ophelia is not shy but introspective, and is possibly high functioning on the spectrum, the personas are kept though.) These personas originated in various characters in various literary works she has read. She is really smart, and a fast and voracious reader who collects books, keeps them in good condition, but also scribbles in them all her notes and thoughts. Her hunt for books takes her places. Either a friend of Elise, an orphan receiving a stipend from Camilla or Odin, or the daughter of a decent-to-do family.

Next up, some the birthright kids.

Midori:

Spoiler

A girl that was raised with her grandmother in the mountains of Hoshido, learning to create medcine and tonics. Sadly for Midori, her grandmother passed away from age, leaving her to fend for herself. Midori realized that she could not spend the life in the house, where her grandmother died so she moved on. Savvy with herbs in the mountains, she made a living dealing with merchants seeking her medicine 

Hisame:

Spoiler

A samurai for hire to traverse the dangerous roads from the wind and flame tribe to the capital of Hoshido. He is from the wind tribe, and has no  interest in fighting only for a job to be funding for his dream to become a scholar as seen in this ending. A distant relative of Hinata, he avoids the capital mainly do that he doesn't have to deal with him.

Mitama:

Spoiler

A shrine maiden from a isolated monastery,. Who got her passion at a young age by a weary traveler,seeking refuge listening to his impressive poems she was inspired to become one herself. Mitama biggest wish to have a world traveling adventure sharing her poems with the world. So she left the monastery under excuse of a missionary of aiding the impoverished. Of course, she is doing both, on are own time, due to her time living in the shrine, she grew lazy relying of the assists of others to complete her chores.

Rhajat:

Spoiler

An discharged diviner from Izumo, due to performing dangerous Nohrian magic in public, and contacting dark mages for Nohr. for information about creating faceless.Rhajat doesn't believe there is a difference between Hoshidan  and Nohrian magic, only how it's applied. Afterwards, she been banished from Izumo and blacklisted in all major cities in  Hoshido. So she lives out the an abandoned house a ten miles from the bottomless canyon testing if it is really bottomless.