Hated Video Game Bosses/Characters

DolphinDingus

Your AI controlled comrades if you play Expert Missions offline in Xenoverse 2.

Despite what people say, the ally AI in Xenoverse 2 is not actually worse then that of the enemy. It just so happens that in the story mode your allies have heavily gimped attack power. Even with their ultimate attacks they can barely leave a dent in the enemies, leaving the player to do all the work.

But Expert Missions are another issue entirely. Expert Missions are specifically designed to be tackled by an actual team and have all kinds of mechanics not found anywhere else in the game. And the AI simply cannot do a lot of the things they are required to do in Expert Missions. Like, if a human player gets hit by a brainwashing attack, they get transferred into a different stage where they can beat up an evil clone to free themselves. If the AI is hit by a brainwashing attack, dealing with that is all up to you. They also suck at avoiding this attack in the first place, which often results in a total party kill unless the player bails them out. The AI also doesn't know how to deal with Marbling Drop and Peeler Storm, which can also result in a total party wipeout. They also don't know how you can bypass Auto Dodge.

And no matter how good you are, you absolutely need allies, even if it's just the AI. There are a variety of reasons for this. For one thing all these missions have a tight time limit, so you need them to help dealing damage or to distract the enemy so that you can spam powerful beam attacks. Then there are the giant Ki ball attacks. Dealing enough damage to push them back is basically impossible to do on your own. And there is no other defense against that move.

Because of this trying to beat Expert Missions offline is extremely frustrating. If the AI doesn't want you to win, no amount of skill or strategy can compensate for this.

That new Broly mission in particular really amplifies this problem. A fantastic run can get ruin instantly if your entire party decides to get wrecked by a single Peeler Storm because Broly simply isn't going to give you the space needed to revive your allies. And you can't fight back to give yourself that space. You can't push Broly back because he has Super Armor. And the Super Armor in Xenoverse is complete bullshit. It cannot be bypassed in any way. Neither throws, charged attacks or Supers will cause any sort of knockback. The only way to deal with super armor in this game is to deal a certain amount of damage to temporarily disable it. But without the ability to cause knockback, you will always leave yourself completely open if you try to attack. And once Broly lands a hit on you, you are as good as dead. Not just because his attack power is absurd but because all of his attacks deal a huge amount of stamina damage, regardless of whether you block or not. So even if you somehow survive one of his combos, you won't have the stamina left to avoid the next one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vagullion from Ys I and II Chronicles

This boss is practically based on luck 99% of the time. For starters, you need the silver sword to even chip him and even after maxing out to level 10, he's still difficult to deal with. All he does is simply turn into tons of bats and charge at you. Then at some point, he'll just turn back to himself and then clone into bats again. He does this so damn fast that its really hard to even get to chip him unless you got lucky.

If he had a pattern of when he does this, this wouldn't be so hard but he does this very randomly that its even worse than the final boss. It is very hard to find out when he's going to charge at you and when he's going to turn back because those bats move very randomly. They sometimes spread and they sometimes join together. 

Some one at Falcom must have wanted the idea of having a mandatory item beat certain bosses like in Zelda and decided to do it here. But wait, let's make the boss do a move completely random. Let's make the player scream at the screen for a while even though this is the third boss in the game.

Truly the worst boss ever in the whole of Ys series. I've seen footage of the Master System port and he somehow looks easier to deal with compared to here....wow.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: Biolizard

This boss sucks big time. First he'll come charging at you with its mouth and you have to keep running from it. Only problem is that there are two pits here that if you fall on them, you lose and you have to start over. Then he'll start wagging out his tail if you end up being further away from him and he'll rinse and repeat this until he begins to recharge after which you simply grind on his mouth and hit his top. Then he'll spit some balls after this part which aren't hard to dodge as long as you do the somersault properly. Once his health is low, he'll start creating balls so you have to homing attack them to hit the top of his back. Lastly you'll somehow end up in gravity dodging those incoming attacks hoping to reach the top to end it.

The problem here is that its a very time consuming battle and its hard for a couple of reasons. The main one here are those pits which the game isn't generous to zoom out the camera for you for some reason(actually zooming out the camera would have made the boss tolerable to say the least). You don't want him to start wagging his tail or even get him close to you because if you get hit, there's a good chance that you'll fall into those pits. You're pretty much forced to use the sides of the floor so that you don't fall off easily since you build momentum when you run and in this case, you don't want that to happen.

Getting an A rank is also tough here as well. Another one of those bosses that I hate. Thankfully, I managed to do both and while the reward you get is somewhat fulfilling, its still not enough to make me forget all the struggles I went through with this boss.

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons: Manhandla

I consider Seasons harder than Ages due to a lot of bosses being hard. But this one is my most hated.

Its a piranha plant in four and it randomly shoots fire balls. The problem is that the battle takes place in some form of desert meaning you have to use the feather here if you want to beat him. He takes way to long to get killed and again, the amount of times he shoots fireballs at you is just nuts.

I don't know whether its my lack of skill to beat it or if I'm missing something here. But I just hate this boss because its the most time consuming.

I'll come up with more later on.

20 hours ago, Harvey said:

Its a piranha plant in four and it randomly shoots fire balls. The problem is that the battle takes place in some form of desert meaning you have to use the feather here if you want to beat him. He takes way to long to get killed and again, the amount of times he shoots fireballs at you is just nuts.

Quicksand Ring, and there are some tiles in the room that aren't moving sand.

I concur with Seymour. Not necessarily because he was a pain to fight or because I hated him for the reasons the game wanted me to hate him(Though I definitely hated him for those reasons), more so because basically everything about him is awful. People act like Eddie Redmayne in Jupiter Ascending is some kind of uniquely awful, terrible villain character, wondering who in the world could have thought that portraying a character like that could ever be a good idea. I'll tell you who thought that was a good idea, fucking Squaresoft. And they thought of it 13 years before the Wachowskis. Even down to the stupid "I am simultaneously talking and gasping for air" voice.

In a more straight example, Luca Blight from Suikoden II is a rat bastard. Killing him was so satisfying.

Pizza Batt Jr. from No More Heroes 2 is up there. A pain in the ass to fight after a string of fun, solid bossfights, his design is so offputting, and the game just tries to make you hate him as much as possible.

Lorithia from Xenoblade Chronicles was so bad that she made me quit a 75 hour playthrough, and any time I ever think about giving Xenoblade a second chance, I remember that fight and never want to play it again.

Edited by Slumber

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I concur with Seymour. Not necessarily because he was a pain to fight or because I hated him for the reasons the game wanted me to hate him(Though I definitely hated him for those reasons), more so because basically everything about him is awful. People act like Eddie Redmayne in Jupiter Ascending is some kind of uniquely awful, terrible villain character, wondering who in the world could have thought that portraying a character like that could ever be a good idea. I'll tell you who thought that was a good idea, fucking Squaresoft. And they thought of it 13 years before the Wachowskis. Even down to the stupid "I am simultaneously talking and gasping for air" voice.

You can't hate somebody with the world's strongest hair gel. It lets him defies gravity. Which isn't much, seeing how he nonchalantly defies death at every turn.

His final battle theme was good, the remade version was better I think.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You can't hate somebody with the world's strongest hair gel. It lets him defies gravity. Which isn't much, seeing how he nonchalantly defies death at every turn.

His final battle theme was good, the remade version was better I think.

I wouldn't hate him if he put his hair gel to good use. Instead he uses it to make stupid hair antlers. It's like he's daring a hunter to kill him and mount his head on a wall.

Yes, his final battle theme is very good. It's more or less the only battle theme in the whole game I actually like.

I guess it kinda counts, so, Iago. I mean, everything in Conquest was silly by the point you fight him, but by the time I actually battled him I was so satisfied to see him wiped off the map once and for all.

Thunderblight Ganon from Breath of the Wild might count as well, solely to how difficult it was to actually find the gimmick to defeat him, and how he continually deflected and reflected my attacks.

... That's about it, actually. I don't really hate many bosses (or am simply just forgetting about the ones I do hate).

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Quicksand Ring, and there are some tiles in the room that aren't moving sand.

Its still hard to deal with though. And the Quicksand ring is obscure to get it in that you need to play Ages first and then Seasons which in my case is the opposite.

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

And the Quicksand ring is obscure to get it in that you need to play Ages first and then Seasons which in my case is the opposite.

Nope. From Zelda Wiki:

Big Bang Game in Oracle of Ages, a cave north of Gnarled Root Dungeon in Oracle of Seasons.

Ugh.  Valkyrie from Armored Core is always an unpleasant boss.  Where do I start with her?

• You only have 1 minute to kill her before the mission ends, which you really want to do since she's the most valuable target in the mission
  • She doesn't have much AP, but is fairly fast and hard to hit
  • She has annoying weapons including a Sniper Rifle with high knockback and a special rapid-fire Slug Gun that will literally tear your AC to pieces
  • As if all of this wasn't enough, you're constantly being harassed by infinitely respawning Guards that gradually chip away at your AP

On 10/17/2017 at 7:08 AM, Von Ithipathachai said:
  • She doesn't have much AP, but is fairly fast and hard to hit

Sure, her speed helps... but the main reason she is so hard to hit and kill in the allotted time is because she flies around the top of the map and runs away from you, making it nigh impossible to keep up with and track her. (Of course, basically all of the late game bosses cheat in that game, so it isn't really unexpected that most of them are a pain to kill)

Also, nice to find another AC fan. There seem to be quite a drought of them nowadays.

7 hours ago, DolphinDingus said:

Sure, her speed helps... but the main reason she is so hard to hit and kill in the allotted time is because she flies around the top of the map and runs away from you, making it nigh impossible to keep up with and track her. (Of course, basically all of the late game bosses cheat in that game, so it isn't really unexpected that most of them are a pain to kill)

Also, nice to find another AC fan. There seem to be quite a drought of them nowadays.

I've only played the original, though.  Sorry to get your hopes up.

For non-gameplay reasons, Adam (Nier Automata), because he's a blind idiot with pseudointelectual tendencies.

For gameplay reasons and also from the same game, Grun. The entire boss fight takes place in shooter mode, where you constantly have to destroy his Shield Generators (if I recall correctly, 3 or 4 times, two for each session). On the last Shield Generator, the camera shifts to a "diagonal" perspective, which makes the controls very odd in a Bullet Hell session. I felt like I was playing Megaman X6 all over again due to the repetitiveness and fucked up controls.

Also, there's another part that doesn't count much as a boss fight, but as an encounter with scripted enemies. They're capable of interfering with the characters' systems, which in gameplay terms means their hits give plenty of inconvenient status effects, varying from stopping you from jumping, using close combat abilities and fucking up your screen so you can't see a thing, with those handicaps being cumulative, all the while gangbanging on you. If you're not gamey in that part, expect to die a lot due to scrappy game design ideas.

For a Xenoverse example, the fight against Majin Buu. Seriously, screw that fight. Who had the brilliant idea of putting 4-6 enemies on screen, then having them gangbang on you constantly? If having them interrupt your combos constantly and chase you like angry bees wasn't enough, they respawn after dying, which means you have to endure all the while your partner does nothing because the Computer's AI for Xenoverse is useless and prone to dying (and giving you game overs due to this) a lot.

Edited by Rapier

I take my hate for Persona 4's Mitsuo back. Instead, I still don't like either Adachi or Goro Akechi from persona 5. The fact we're supposed to symphatize with these enemies is nauseating.

The Steering Committee from Danganronpa. It says a lot about how reprehensibly awful they are that they're incredibly hated despite never making a real appearance outside of Danganronpa Zero.

Speaking of DR, Nagito Komaeda from Super Danganronpa 2. I get what they were trying to do with him, I just find that they failed completely, and Nagito is consistently the character I hate the most in-series. Hiyoko Saionji and Teruteru Hanamura from the same game as well; the former for just being an incredibly nasty person, and the latter for being a horndog and  especially for his final Free Time event.

Also in terms of gameplay mechanics, Hangman's Gambit is always terrible in every game, but especially in V3 where their brilliant idea to improve it from 2 was to make the flippin' letters invisible.

Spoiler

Korekiyo Shinguji from New Danganronpa V3. It takes a lot for me to consider someone close to the same level of terrible as Nagito, but Shinguji comes very, very close. Being an incestuous murderer who kills two people for an utterly unsympathetic reason will do that to you.

Nohman Ridley from Zone of the Enders. Both for being a monstrous lunatic, and for the Anubis fights being such a pain.

The true final boss from Furi. A ridiculously boring shump boss only hard because the game completely changes controls when fighting it.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:42 PM, Magus of Flowers said:

Kamoshida from Persona 5. No comment needed.

All the villains in Fire Emblem: Fates for being atrociously written, bland and cartoonishly evil.

Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins. Stop for 5 seconds to do something nice that isn't even an inconvenience? Morrigan disapproves -10. She's just a fucking arsehole.

Anders from Dragon Age II. Mostly because I feel like they butchered him compared to how good he was in Awakening.

Anyone and everyone who has anything to do with the Legion in Fallout NV.

Agreed with all of these.

On 10/3/2017 at 1:16 AM, saisymbolic said:

Junko Enoshima from the Danganronpa series. I have never hated a character with the passion that I hate Junko.

I love to hate Junko, I do, so I can't really say that I outright completely hate her. Still, she deserved everything she got and more.

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

I take my hate for Persona 4's Mitsuo back. Instead, I still don't like either Adachi or Goro Akechi from persona 5. The fact we're supposed to symphatize with these enemies is nauseating.

Adachi I don't think is supposed to be sympathetic, but I 100% agree on Akechi.

Dr. Brighton Sharp and Dr. Arlan Flat from 20XX.

If you manage to barely pass a stage with a sliver of your health left, you can count on these two to cheer you up with their unwanted advice, mocking comments and sadistic pleasure in your eventual demise. The fact that 20XX is a Rougelike game of sorts and therefore always has you playing with high stakes makes their neverending attempts to add insult to injury especially effective.

In FFX, I was too busy hating on Tidus to hate evryone else. I rarely saw main characters beig so damn awfull. At least, Luke was supposed to be awfull, while Tidus is never dismissed in game. And don't even get me on everything that's wrong wiith Tidus X Yuna (which is ... well, everything.).

My only blame with Junko Enoshima is that.. Monokuma is better than her. This is a weird thing to say, but an evil robot teddy bear is far more original and cooler than a school girl.

Not sure, if it really counts, but Hugh in B2W2 is my most hated rival of all time. And, that's intrresting, because it's not a badly written character, just one with a really abrasive peronality, whihc makes me jsut wanting to beat him to death wth a bag of Purrloin every time he open his mouth. See ? He angers me and I ends up being really insensitive. I wnated him to be an asshole, so I could feels joy beating his ass, but he's an ally. In short, he's the antithesis of Cheren.

Bharva for Luminous Arc 2. Hate may be a little strong here, but he was definitely a big nuisance. Reusing bosses over and over is one of this game's main problem (I actually choosed Fatima's Route specifically to avoid facing her for the Xth time.) Bharva is... a really boring villain, is really boring to fight. (he laters gan wngs which just makes him more annoying to deal with, but not more interresting.), and you fight him over and over for the majority of the second half. Sometimes even one time after the other.
One charcter I really hates for that game however is Kaph. Firstly, he repeat the same annoying arhcetype as Nikolai from LA1 (in short, a total pervert). They must have realized he's terrible, because there is a secret mission specifically about beating his sorry ass. But if he was only terrible personality-wise, it would be OK, but gameplay-wise, he's actually worse. He is a pretty mediocre charcter for the whole game, biut he has one specifcity. He uses crossbow, which makes hime one of the only charcter being able to hit the final boss without being hit back (the other being Rina, IIRC). ANd the Final Boss is  a massive dificuly spike, and a big pain that totally could have been on this list (Hits freaking hard, with absurd range, can heal self), so you kinda needs Kaph to beat her. ANd he is probably gonna be underleveled at this pint, because he had no real uses before.

Speaking of Luminous Arc, Vanessa in LA1 definitely counts. This game is generally piss easy for the most part (battles are only young because the game is freakng slow. IN short, it's a really bad game.), except for one single battle. Vanessa isn't even the worst part of this battle. The problem comes with her familiars. Those stupid things can cast fire spell on a + shape centered on the target. So you need to leave space between the units. But you don't have enough space. So you get quickly overwhelmed. This being the only hard battle just makes it worse.

7 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

Bharva for Luminous Arc 2. Hate may be a little strong here, but he was definitely a big nuisance. Reusing bosses over and over is one of this game's main problem (I actually choosed Fatima's Route specifically to avoid facing her for the Xth time.) Bharva is... a really boring villain, is really boring to fight. (he laters gan wngs which just makes him more annoying to deal with, but not more interresting.), and you fight him over and over for the majority of the second half. Sometimes even one time after the other.
One charcter I really hates for that game however is Kaph. Firstly, he repeat the same annoying arhcetype as Nikolai from LA1 (in short, a total pervert). They must have realized he's terrible, because there is a secret mission specifically about beating his sorry ass. But if he was only terrible personality-wise, it would be OK, but gameplay-wise, he's actually worse. He is a pretty mediocre charcter for the whole game, biut he has one specifcity. He uses crossbow, which makes hime one of the only charcter being able to hit the final boss without being hit back (the other being Rina, IIRC). ANd the Final Boss is  a massive dificuly spike, and a big pain that totally could have been on this list (Hits freaking hard, with absurd range, can heal self), so you kinda needs Kaph to beat her. ANd he is probably gonna be underleveled at this pint, because he had no real uses before.

Speaking of Luminous Arc, Vanessa in LA1 definitely counts. This game is generally piss easy for the most part (battles are only young because the game is freakng slow. IN short, it's a really bad game.), except for one single battle. Vanessa isn't even the worst part of this battle. The problem comes with her familiars. Those stupid things can cast fire spell on a + shape centered on the target. So you need to leave space between the units. But you don't have enough space. So you get quickly overwhelmed. This being the only hard battle just makes it worse.

Bharva, now he was bad! It's all Bharva smash! It didn't help him being Silver element made magic sting him less. You just fight him again and again, and unlike SRW where boss repeats are bearable, Lumionous Arc is lacking in the flashiness to make it better. The game is slower too.

Kaph isn't necessary for the final battle, Karen with her Flying Shell can handle it too. I've never used him for the final fight and got through it just fine. 

Vanessa being rehashed for all five Hot Spring Battles in LA2 was more my problem with her, and her inclinations towards Theo in LA. The Radiant Rondo battle in ARF is the one time she is fun to fight.

Luminous Arc 1 and 2 are both mediocre JRPGs in retrospect to me. Slow in gameplay, characters lacking balance, the plots are eh, only the anime aspects and music make them worth buying. LA1 does one of the most shallow and terribly cliched of "Kill God, Religion is EVIL!" takes ever. It excretes over Xenogears, which for all its Kabbalah-like esotericism, tried to do the God thing well. By the time Stella Glow (LA4 in spirit) got made, you'd think Imageepoch would have gotten much better. The demo told me they didn't. And then I heard loli Fatima is fought just as repetitively as Fatima, the plot goes slowly at first, and God turns out to be evil. Imageepoch almost deserved to go out of business. Arc Rise Fantasia was good though, and 7th Dragon seems okay too.

No, you don't fight the "loli" Fatima (she isn't actually a loli, she's just a woman with a slender, flat body) that many times, but Stella Glow didn't take hints from Luminous Arc's failings. It repeats random encounters unnecessarily a lot, which are usually in big maps and a slog to progress through. It is also very animey at some parts, and I feel the characters hold the Stupid Ball(TM) too much.

I have a weird relation with Stella Glow in that I love the graphics, background scenario, OST (I love Rusty Key) and I'm fond of the characters overall, but it is very animey and it has many repetitive gameplay sessions, which make it a drag to play.

Edited by Rapier

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier- Good game, fun too though also challenging due to it having many boss gauntlet sections (story progression is literally a boss fight within 5 minutes of each other)

So I hate everything every enemy does in this game: Forced Evasion, my gods, the fact this can happen anytime you're trying to combo enemies and complete nullifies all damage for the rest of that attack is bs. This is an annoying mechanic that often has me screaming at my ds, it drags out boss fights even longer (since due to the above mentioned boss rush, the level curve is huge) since maybe 2 normal attacks deal 1/100 of a bosses hp, and then the forced evasion completely ends the massive attack string you had planned. On normal enemies it's annoying when you're grinding to take on the bosses. The common enemies level with you based on story so they may die in 1-2 attacks, but always have that chance of pulling a forced evasion. Overall a very annoying mechanic that makes me despise the characters, well the enemies at least, the playable cast is really good.

8 hours ago, Rapier said:

No, you don't fight the "loli" Fatima (she isn't actually a loli, she's just a woman with a slender, flat body) that many times, but Stella Glow didn't take hints from Luminous Arc's failings. It repeats random encounters unnecessarily a lot, which are usually in big maps and a slog to progress through. It is also very animey at some parts, and I feel the characters hold the Stupid Ball(TM) too much.

I have a weird relation with Stella Glow in that I love the graphics, background scenario, OST (I love Rusty Key) and I'm fond of the characters overall, but it is very animey and it has many repetitive gameplay sessions, which make it a drag to play.

Stella Glow is actually quite similar to FFX. It takes itself far too seriously. It tries really hard to sounds liek n epic and dramatic story, but the fact it's just a LA successor makes it seems dishonnest. It's far more fun to play through than the precedent titles (no idea about LA3...), but it's still a LA game
It also makes every issues I have with this kind of game far more problematic.

I actually don't dislike LA2. I have a certain fondness to it despite it being a really meidocre game (LA1 is straight up bad though.)

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Luminous Arc 1 and 2 are both mediocre JRPGs in retrospect to me. Slow in gameplay, characters lacking balance, the plots are eh, only the anime aspects and music make them worth buying. LA1 does one of the most shallow and terribly cliched of "Kill God, Religion is EVIL!" takes ever. It excretes over Xenogears, which for all its Kabbalah-like esotericism, tried to do the God thing well. By the time Stella Glow (LA4 in spirit) got made, you'd think Imageepoch would have gotten much better. The demo told me they didn't. And then I heard loli Fatima is fought just as repetitively as Fatima, the plot goes slowly at first, and God turns out to be evil. Imageepoch almost deserved to go out of business. Arc Rise Fantasia was good though, and 7th Dragon seems okay too.

The relation between Stella Glow and the ancient games is a wierd ones. It makes the big twist more effective, but Hilda is just Fatima + Lucia, so her whole story don't offer much. They clearly did learn, but that may not be enough.

7th Dragon 2020 was fun to play through, mainly because the Hacker and Duelist are really cool to uses, but it was mainly an inferior version of EO. The main problem is that the dragons quickly descend from terrible threat that requires all your energy to defeat to mindless sub boss battles that you chain for bonuses. Many portions of the game spcifically requiring you to destroy them. Not the best game ever, but still a good time.

2 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

I actually don't dislike LA2. I have a certain fondness to it despite it being a really meidocre game (LA1 is straight up bad though.)

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To be honest, I did enjoy both games when I first played them, if I didn't I wouldn't have unlocked everyone's Hot Spring scenes in LA2 (which is tedious given how many NG+s you have to do for that). And I actually badly wanted an LA3 international release for a while.

I've just come in time to see them for what they are in time. At least they're better than Sands of Destruction though, that game fails to have a charming cast, fails to have good gameplay, good music, or a good plot. It has... crisp graphics? But that is it. It got a manga and an anime I heard, both of which are totally different from the actual game. The premise of "destroy the world!" sounds cool, but the game ultimately betrays it for a goodie good ending.

On the plus side for LA1, it did inspire this little composition.