Voting Gauntlet: The Blood of Dragons!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: The Blood of Dragons!  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

2 minutes ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

I'm aware of that hence why I don't fully agree with Roy's position (smash Roy fans who never played his game), but I will at the very least say the CYL rankings gave somewhere of a indication of how popular the characters are throughout the series and where they stand so they still shouldn't be dismissed just like that.

It's certainly a rather complex thing to try to figure out, but I think Ninian in particular is an interesting case.  She's from the same game as Lyn, a very popular female character.  So you have a lot of FE7 fans, many of whom would no doubt support Ninian over many non-FE7 characters.  The results can't be completely dismissed, but they simply don't tell us as much about the popularity as some people seem to think.

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The mechanics of CYL isn't why CYL is a bad indicator of character popularity. The reason CYL is a bad indicator is because CYL was before this game was released, and this game improved the popularity (or at least the renown) of a lot of characters that weren't previously well known to the casual crowd.

That's certainly one (and probably the primary) reason the CYL results aren't accurate, but my argument is that they weren't an accurate indicator for this sort of thing even when they were taken.  They served their purpose, but that purpose was not to tell who would win given a competition between any two specific characters.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

I'm not sure you realize how close this round actually was. But you probably weren't paying attention to the score.

I will be the first to tell you that I don't appreciate your sarcasm.

You assumed right, I just saw the the actual scores right now and read some comments on the possible manipulation of it due to the lacking amount of points on team Corrin's side. Who knows what the reason is, Corrins miscalculating the amount of flags to use in bonus hours and running out on them beforehand, IS manipulating the score to not upset people and repeat the Lyn chaos or divine intervention; all I can say, every single voting gauntlet was won in the end by the obvious favorite and I'm bored of it, so I'll stay sarcastic, even if this could have been the first narrow win for the underdog, because ultimately, it wasn't.

Though I will ask, you don't like my sarcasm because of me being against a Ninian win (I have no personal dislike against the character) or because I ridicule the entire mode?

10 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Though I will ask, you don't like my sarcasm because of me being against a Ninian win (I have no personal dislike against the character) or because I ridicule the entire mode?

I have no problems with who people like or dislike. Being grumpy about your favorite not winning is perfectly fine with me.

This game mode is a piece of trash as it is right now, but at the very least, it isn't deliberately pitting the most popular characters in the game against the least popular. It's fucking hard to make a theme that actually has close matches all around.

If anything, the thing to be ridiculing is the fact that the current multiplier system with the low advantage threshold is a farce that turns this game mode into a complete game of chance. As best as it is right now, it's basically just a feather and salt factory.

11 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Team Corrin probably just ran out of flags (I saved for the 7.5x), which explains the surge at 7.4x but huge drop at 7.5x.

Yeah, that's most likely situation. It's still weird, though.

I'm happy Team Ninian won, but it's hard to feel much beyond that for winning a coin toss. Woo. It landed on heads. Woo.

12 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I wasn't really particularly invested in this, but it does kinda sting to see so much hate for Corrin crop up lol.

My only beef Corrin is her attack animations are so terrible in Warriors. Not from an animation standpoint but from a gameplay standpoint. Her final strong attack has a bad habit of missing the target entirely.

Anyways, I'm obviously in a poor mood right now, so I'm going to go play some Warriors and maybe see if there is still any alcohol in my fridge. (There probably isn't.)

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Did anyone get my Bridelia the last round?

I mostly got Greil Ike and Robin.

Yeah, I got her a few times. She taunts me with her wink because I didn't get her. Even though I married her in Awakening.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm happy Team Ninian won, but it's hard to feel much beyond that for winning a coin toss. Woo. It landed on heads. Woo.

Yeaaah, I feel like they've been trying to make this more strategic with flag spending since they didn't up the amount of flags we get, but it's pretty much impossible to coordinate in this mode, so it's mostly random.

Actually, before I leave to play Warriors, I just thought of the literal perfect analogy for what happened this last round:

"You've by all rights been beating the shit out of your opponent for the past 44 hours, but none of that matters anymore. The victory will be determined by this coin flip. Good luck."

Alternatively, that one thing where the last question on a quiz show is worth exactly 1 point more than the difference in the two contestants' points.

Actually, before I leave to play Warriors, I just thought of the literal perfect analogy for what happened this last round:

"You've by all rights been beating the shit out of your opponent for the past 44 hours, but none of that matters anymore. The victory will be determined by this coin flip. Good luck."

Alternatively, that one thing where the last question on a quiz show is worth exactly 1 point more than the difference in the two contestants' points.

36 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Curb stomps result in a greater number of multipliers for the smaller team, which gives them a much better shot at a higher ranking and more feathers overall. The larger team has a lower cap to the number of feathers that can be obtained.

The smaller team has no hope of winning, but you have everything to gain from actually participating in that team.

Not everyone is going "feather mercenary" and some actually want the victory. The hopeless factor makes it so people would feel much less interested in even participating. The developers probably want the casuals to be more active hence the multiplier gimmick and its multiple tweaks. They seem to want bigger and more active participation.

Can I have the numbers on that?

I'm under the impression that casual players are more indifferent to the existence of multipliers than you seem to think they are. This is a game to play in one's free time, and if you're not going to be invested in it, you're not going to be invested in it.

I forgot that you are a numbers geek of sorts. Of course you'd want numbers for everything. It's mere observation from my part. I should have rephrased it. My bad.

Your impression and view of the game itself to the casual audience could be as wrong as you think mine is. Only the developers know since they're the ones collecting all this data. 

That doesn't mean it shouldn't try to be a popularity contest.

Just because a computer turned into a brick doesn't mean you shouldn't try to fix it and turn it back into a computer again.

They should probably change the description of the mode since it stopped being a popularity contest months ago. The point still stands: This is no longer a popularity contest. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Welcome to why I hate multipliers. I don't care that the team I was rootin for won. Mutlipliers are bad.

1 minute ago, Lord-Zero said:

They should probably change the description of the mode since it stopped being a popularity contest months ago. This is no longer a popularity contest. 

You missed the point entirely. Whether or not it is a popularity contest isn't relevant. Whether or not it should be a popularity contest is.

The fact that they haven't changed the description of the game mode implies that they still want this to be a popularity contest. In that case, there is no reason for them not to try to make it a popularity contest again.

Just now, Neopolitan said:

Welcome to why I hate multipliers. I don't care that the team I was rootin for won. Mutlipliers are bad.

It wasn't that bad in most previous rounds. In the vast majority of rounds, the winner was already decided three or four hours back.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

This game mode is a piece of trash as it is right now, but at the very least, it isn't deliberately pitting the most popular characters in the game against the least popular. It's fucking hard to make a theme that actually has close matches all around.

If anything, the thing to be ridiculing is the fact that the current multiplier system with the low advantage threshold is a farce that turns this game mode into a complete game of chance. As best as it is right now, it's basically just a feather and salt factory.

I have to concur with the notion on how hard it is to find good themes without having an obvious roflstomp from one character - heck, I'm glad I don't have to set them up - but as it stands, the winner was clear right from the beginning on every gauntlet thus far (concerning popularity of the FEH masses; I won't deny how both Corrins could have won their rounds with a bit of luck). I strongly believe this mode needs to be replaced, as it has no purpose beyond creating, as you said it, feathers and salt, also without any solution in sight (No change of the multiplier will fix the entire thing).

1 minute ago, Lord-Zero said:

They should probably change the description of the mode since it stopped being a popularity contest months ago. This is no longer a popularity contest. 

You missed the point entirely. Whether or not it is a popularity contest isn't relevant. Whether or not it should be a popularity contest is.

The fact that they haven't changed the description of the game mode implies that they still want this to be a popularity contest. In that case, there is no reason for them not to try to make it a popularity contest again.

Just now, Neopolitan said:

It wasn't that bad in most previous rounds. In the vast majority of rounds, the winner was already decided three or four hours back.

I feel like in a way, their change to the multiplier system this round may have been done in order to allow the winning side to get more multipliers. I might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure Corrin barely saw any multipliers past the first few hours when she went up against Gaius, while Gaius swam in multipliers. Even if that was their intention, I feel like it's countered by the final hours turning who wins into a coin toss. 

With that said, I think a variation of the first multiplier should be what they go for. It keeps up with the gauntlet being a popularity contest since the obvious winner is going to win most of the time, but there's an incentive to not bandwagon the obvious winner by giving the losing side a chance to increase their score.

Or they drop the whole pretense about these gauntlets being popularity contest and just divide the player base equally in all the teams. At the end of the event, everyone gets a certain amount of feathers plus a bonus amount for the team with the most points.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Should be", "Would be", the developers don't seem to care about that anymore and neither should the players but to each his own.

@JJ48The best thing we could do is to give them feedback about it. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

11 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

Even if that was their intention, I feel like it's countered by the final hours turning who wins into a coin toss. 

They should change the multipliers so that they start to decrease after the first day. Because x7 at the final hour is blegh.

To be quite frank, I don't care what the hell IS will do with this mode. If you take it remotely seriously you'll end up becoming a salt mine because of a million reasons. No multiplier "Waaah, they put my character against the most popular/waifu/whatever IS is to blame", multiplier and "Waaah, my favorite character got screwed/won due to BS/Didn't won despite BS/Won despite BS". Look, I know this whole game mode is flawed and IS really needs to consider changing the name because trying to pass it as a popularity contest isn't helping. 

I only want a mode to use the units of people on my friends list and get some rewards while doing it.