Voting Gauntlet: The Blood of Dragons!  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

My fiance and I just generally love her and Eliwood.

So we just want her to win.

I mean look at my avy.

Our FFXIV characters are Eliwood cat  and Ninian Au'Ra respectively.

Hey I'm cool with that, as far I'm concerned she & Eliwood are some of the best aspect of Blazing Sword to begin with. But I hate MMO's after what they did to KOTOR.

15 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I'm glad things went as expected and Ninian is destroying F!Corrin. Now I just need to stay for the bigger bonuses tomorrow to get a huge amount of feathers!

R u kidding me? I thought F!Corrin would be dominating like the last time she was in a Gauntlet. This is a pleasant surprise.

3 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

R u kidding me? I thought F!Corrin would be dominating like the last time she was in a Gauntlet. This is a pleasant surprise.

To be fair, her competition was a lot different in her last gauntlet. She's apparently popular compared to the other 3DS characters that were there, but this is a much different situation. Plus last time she was one of the few flying mage units in the game, while this time she's just a third blue dragon unit, and the one that most people consider to be the worst.

Edited by DefaultBeep

I definitely made a mistake switching to Ninian. I caught that last multiplier twice, thank goodness, but unless I can burn these flags on 1-2 more multiplier rounds, I'll probably fall out of the cumulative top 1000.

I think next gauntlet, best strategy might be to wait until mid-day on the first day of the round  before picking a team.  You want your team to be subjected to maximum pwnage (do we still say pwn?) so you can be assured those sweet 6-7.5x multipliers.

Blegh, if I hadn't missed that first half of the multiplier I'd probably be in the top 5k. Hate that. 

When's the next estimated multiplier? I could probably be up until 6AM but if it's going to be around 12 in the afternoon I could just go to sleep early. If it's anywhere between 7 and 10 AM I'm just going to miss it.

Edited by Zeo

5 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

To be fair, her competition was a lot different in her last gauntlet. She's apparently popular compared to the other 3DS characters that were there, but this is a much different situation. Plus last time she was one of the few flying mage units in the game, while this time she's just a third blue dragon unit, and the one that most people consider to be the worst.

That and let's face it, her summer version is gorgeous.  IMO one of the best, if not the best character art.  

As you say, her regular form is just a regular old dragon.

Just now, kcirrot said:

That and let's face it, her summer version is gorgeous.  IMO one of the best, if not the best character art.  

To be honest, I like her regular art more. Something about her summer version's face looks weird to me, and I like the sketchy art style of her normal art. That said, I know that I'm in the minority with that opinion, and we're still in agreement on the weapon type. Even for people who have never played an FE game other than Heroes, Ninian is a dancer and Nowi is well known as a great blue tank. Regular Corrin just can't compete with the reputation the other two have. And that's not even mentioning the reputation Corrin has outside of Heroes...

17 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Blegh, if I hadn't missed that first half of the multiplier I'd probably be in the top 5k. Hate that. 

When's the next estimated multiplier? I could probably be up until 6AM but if it's going to be around 12 in the afternoon I could just go to sleep early. If it's anywhere between 7 and 10 AM I'm just going to miss it.

I just managed to catch the second half of that multiplier and I'm only top 16,000

400 flags for that hour. The last half hour I scraped by with the skin of my teeth, because I could battle the exact moment the 1 minute left disappeared. I expected to not get the multiplier but I think I did?

12 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

I just managed to catch the second half of that multiplier and I'm only top 16,000

400 flags for that hour. The last half hour I scraped by with the skin of my teeth, because I could battle the exact moment the 1 minute left disappeared. I expected to not get the multiplier but I think I did?

Guess so, you know when you get the bonus. I've discovered that the timer for the next battle goes as soon as you press battle itself. One time I pressed it and walked away for about 15 minutes and when I came back and completed the battle I had 15 minutes left until the next round. Wasn't any multiplier going at that point though. I think it counts though if it's going when you start the round, by that logic you should have missed it but you lucked out otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Guess so, you know when you get the bonus. I've discovered that the timer for the next battle goes as soon as you press battle itself. One time I pressed it and walked away for about 15 minutes and when I came back and completed the battle I had 15 minutes left until the next round. Wasn't any multiplier going at that point though. I think it counts though if it's going when you start the round, by that logic you should have missed it but you lucked out otherwise.

If I see i'll just spend those flags!

Also I don't think I have you on my friend list. Team Ninian buddies?

8 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

If I see i'll just spend those flags!

Also I don't think I have you on my friend list. Team Ninian buddies?

Sure. 7838046738 is my ID. I'll clear a spot for you. Bridelia is my main. Brave Bow+ nonsense and all that with an Attack +3 seal to make her even more broken.

Oh yeah, I'm Tenk. My 2nd ever Strategist name I used on FE7, my first FE. I... can't remember the first. Maybe I used the default Mark but for whatever reason my original name is a blank space in my memory.

Edited by Zeo

10 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Sure. 7838046738 is my ID. I'll clear a spot for you. Bridelia is my main. Brave Bow+ nonsense and all that with an Attack +3 seal to make her even more broken.

Oh yeah, I'm Tenk. My 2nd ever Strategist name I used on FE7, my first FE. I... can't remember the first. Maybe I used the default Mark but for whatever reason my original name is a blank space in my memory.

Neat! Added you from my Kensei account with the Axura.

The difference between Ninian and Corrin is...wow after that last multiplier. Looks like it will be a while for the next Ninian multiplier.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

A lot of players' only impression of Ninian is from Heroes, and Ninian is a very good unit in this game, compared to Corrin, who is very lackluster.

It's kind of like a miniature Reinhardt effect, considering almost all of Reinhardt's renown comes from Heroes and not from FE5.

The Smash Brothers effect in a Fire Emblem game? o_O

So it's comes full circle.

2 hours ago, DefaultBeep said:

2 hours ago, kcirrot said:

You guys can't be serious. You mean tell me F!Corrin lack of performance in a popularity contest has to do with her art design now? On top of that, how good/bad a unit she is?

I can tell you guys that's not the same thing otherwise character like Spencer would be more liked in MVC.

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

You guys can't be serious. You mean tell me F!Corrin lack of performance in a popularity contest has to do with her art design now? On top of that, how good/bad a unit she is?

I can tell you guys that's not the same thing otherwise character like Spencer would be more liked in MVC.

Well, let me ask you this: what's the thing you hear mentioned most often about Eliwood in Heroes? Hint: it's normally not how good he is as a unit, nor his personality.

If someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game decides to play Heroes, then artwork and unit performance are their top concern. Artwork because they're gonna have to see it a lot if they plan on using the unit, and performance because, when you take away character bias, Heroes is a game of stats and skills. Regular Corrin has: artwork disliked by the majority; stats comparable but normally seen as inferior to Nowi; and for people that are familiar with other Fire Emblem games, she has a lot of Fates hate going against her. Summer Corrin only had one of those three problems, and she was in a Gauntlet where every other character had similar problems to some degree, so it affected her less regardless.

You can feel free to disagree if you think any of this is incorrect, but I'm simply trying to explain what the numbers are already showing us. If you have another explanation, I'd be happy to hear it.

5 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Well, let me ask you this: what's the thing you hear mentioned most often about Eliwood in Heroes? Hint: it's normally not how good he is as a unit, nor his personality.

If someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game decides to play Heroes, then artwork and unit performance are their top concern. Artwork because they're gonna have to see it a lot if they plan on using the unit, and performance because, when you take away character bias, Heroes is a game of stats and skills. Regular Corrin has: artwork disliked by the majority; stats comparable but normally seen as inferior to Nowi; and for people that are familiar with other Fire Emblem games, she has a lot of Fates hate going against her. Summer Corrin only had one of those three problems, and she was in a Gauntlet where every other character had similar problems to some degree, so it affected her less regardless.

You can feel free to disagree if you think any of this is incorrect, but I'm simply trying to explain what the numbers are already showing us. If you have another explanation, I'd be happy to hear it.

But that's so extreme, if that were the case character like Arthur (Fate) shouldn't be all that well receive. Granted he's more like here in the States, but my point most of likability comes from his character. Are you telling me that people are reacting negatively to Eliwood not because of his character but because of his artwork? If that's the case then they screw up badly with Lloyd.

14 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

But that's so extreme, if that were the case character like Arthur (Fate) shouldn't be all that well receive. Granted he's more like here in the States, but my point most of likability comes from his character. Are you telling me that people are reacting negatively to Eliwood not because of his character but because of his artwork? If that's the case then they screw up badly with Lloyd.

Out of curiosity, how often do you go to other Heroes-related threads? Because both Arthur and Lloyd are normally considered unpopular as well, largely because of their artwork. Again, I'm talking about specifically for Heroes, where the personality of the characters isn't as apparent compared to the main games; people do like characters like Arthur and Lloyd, but in Heroes, they're not nearly as well-received. They're also less popular in Heroes because they're seen as barely unique compared to other units of their type, similar to Female Corrin. Lloyd fairs a bit better thanks to his personal sword and respectable stats, but Arthur is almost entirely ignored outside of some F2P strategy videos.

If you want to look at it in an excessively negative way, here's another analogy: in a contest of waifus, a waifu has to look good in order to get the votes.

Edit: Rebecca is another really good example of a character that's normally liked in relation to her original game, but hardly sees any interest in Heroes because of her art and stats.

Edited by DefaultBeep

I agree with @DefaultBeep.  The artwork makes a difference.

I like Eliwood, but I can't bring myself to build him up in Heroes because his eyes bother the hell out of me. :(:

I'm not at all surprised that Ninian is winning.  She's gorgeous and a highly sought after unit, so she's appealing even to people who didn't play FE7.  

12 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Out of curiosity, how often do you go to other Heroes-related threads? Because both Arthur and Lloyd are normally considered unpopular as well, largely because of their artwork. Again, I'm talking about specifically for Heroes, where the personality of the characters isn't as apparent compared to the main games; people do like characters like Arthur and Lloyd, but in Heroes, they're not nearly as well-received. They're also less popular in Heroes because they're seen as barely unique compared to other units of their type, similar to Female Corrin. Lloyd fairs a bit better thanks to his personal sword and respectable stats, but Arthur is almost entirely ignored outside of some F2P strategy videos.

If you want to look at it in an excessively negative way, here's another analogy: in a contest of waifus, a waifu has to look good in order to get the votes.

Even though it's only 2 sites (here & Heroes Reddit), I seen plenty of times that the people look for more than the character's stats & art.  I don't exactly know the numbers of how many people are playing Heroes as the 1st game, but I find it hard to believe that the incredible casual who has Heroes as the 1st FE game outnumber the fanbase who are playing it. Then again I wouldn't exactly be surprise that if were the case since mobile device games sell more than the console games.

Waifus may play a part but I still don't think it as dominant as people make it out to be.

2 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

I agree with @DefaultBeep.  The artwork makes a difference.

I like Eliwood, but I can't bring myself to build him up in Heroes because his eyes bother the hell out of me. :(:

I'm not at all surprised that Ninian is winning.  She's gorgeous and a highly sought after unit, so she's appealing even to people who didn't play FE7.  

You would let something like an artwork stop from using a character you like? Eliwood might not be as good as Xander, but you can still make him viable. Hell I seen people be creative with low tier characters plenty of times before. @Arcanite is the prime example of this.

Then again, that's also a lot of commitment to make & I still haven't bother using Odin at all. Damn you InSyst for cursing him so.

Edited by Zangetsu

I normally keep out of these waifu discussions but in my skim I caught something I can't just let slide.

17 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Because both Arthur and Lloyd are normally considered unpopular as well, largely because of their artwork. 

Arthur's artwork is wonderful. Representing a front-to-back understanding of his character. How dare you.

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I normally keep out of these waifu discussions but in my skim I caught something I can't just let slide.

Arthur's artwork is wonderful. Representing a front-to-back understanding of his character. How dare you.

It's same dude that did CodeName Steam, of course it looks good.

17 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

You would let something like an artwork stop from using a character you like? Eliwood might not be as good as Xander, but you can still make him viable. Hell I seen people be creative with low tier characters plenty of times before. @Arcanite is the prime example of this.

Ahah, ummm, in Eliwood's case... Yes... Those eyes creep me out.  :unsure:

I was kind of 'meh' on Laslow's Heroes artwork at first, but I've built him up anyway because it's not the worst and well, he's my absolute favourite FE character.  I currently have a +5 Laslow that I'm going to keep adding merges to.  Also, I know it's the same artist, but I prefer Inigo's art to Laslow's.  Especially the attacking pose.  :^_^:

---

More on topic: I've been a good girl with my flags this time.  I haven't spent any yet despite the constant F-Corrin multipliers that are tempting me... I expect there will be a steady flow of multipliers tomorrow as well.  It's hard to hold back, though!

Edited by Infinite Dreams

5 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

It's same dude that did CodeName Steam, of course it looks good.

According to a select few. I got the game cheaper new than used from Gamestop- implying the supply of new exceed the supply of used. If the game looked good, and it did have a nice aesthetic I'll admit, and some solid gameplay, it didn't look good to enough people to sell. Arthur of Fates may have been the same way.

Now if only The Fox got Heroes. HP destroying overwatched headshots at range 4? Me like!

Tom would be crap, Dorothy would be much better probably. Tinman = ranged refresh = amazing. Henry Fleming = decent. John Henry = good? Queequeg = highly situational, but potentially amazing. Califia = strong! Tiger Lily = healer bad. Scarecrow = dagger bad? Lion = grrrreat! Randolph Carter = how would he work?

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Hey, I love Arthur's artwork in Heroes! I thought it was a perfect choice; I just remember seeing a lot of people disliking it, mostly during launch.

13 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Even though it's only 2 sites (here & Heroes Reddit), I seen plenty of times that the people look for more than the character's stats & art.  I don't exactly know the numbers of how many people are playing Heroes as the 1st game, but I find it hard to believe that the incredible casual who has Heroes as the 1st FE game outnumber the fanbase who are playing it. Then again I wouldn't exactly be surprise that if were the case since mobile device games sell more than the console games.

Waifus may play a part but I still don't think it as dominant as people make it out to be.

Then again, that's also a lot of commitment to make & I still haven't bother using Odin at all. Damn you InSyst for cursing him so.

Like I said, it's not just the artwork, but also the stats of a unit. I'll compare her to Nowi again here: from what I've observed from the popular opinion, both her artwork and her stats (at least for what the popular meta desires) are considered to be outright inferior to Nowi. Thus, people tend to prefer Nowi in the context of Heroes, even if there are plenty of people who don't like her either. And then there's Ninian, who's a member of the sought-after Dancer group. That alone gives her more exposure than someone like Corrin, because she can be a vital addition to any team.

I use the example of people that haven't played any other FE game as an extreme, but it's not at all unrealistic to assume that most people playing Heroes have only played a few games. If you (as in the nonspecific "you", not you specifically) never played Fates or Awakening, then would you really put any meaningful thought into whose team you would join in the Summer Gauntlet? Or would you chose the character with the most pleasing art, the most desirable stats, or the easiest chance at feathers? Now that this Gauntlet is reaching a much wider audience with characters from FE7 and FE1/11, anyone who chose Summer Corrin for one of those arbitrary reasons can now join someone that they do like as characters. And anyone who joined Summer Corrin for one of those arbitrary reasons but still has no interest in the other games, well, they just lost any reason to join Corrin again. (Subjectively) Worse art, a less unique unit all around, and after the Summer Gauntlet, there's no guarantee that she's a good choice for easy feathers. There's a lot of varying factors at play here, but most of them don't work in Corrin's favor this time around.

The waifu thing was more for the analogy; I don't like using the term myself, but I couldn't think of a better way to get the analogy across.

It depends, personally. For characters I really like, then artwork makes little difference (I don't really like the artwork for either Linde or Merric, but I like them both as characters, so I'd still use them both). But if it's someone I like but don't like quite as much, artwork can be a deal-breaker. And that's the thing: low-tier characters are made great specifically by people who like them, or by people that want to mess around with less optimal units. For anyone that has less attachment to the characters, though, then there's no reason to invest in a character if they take so much work to get going.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

According to a select few. I got the game cheaper new than used from Gamestop- implying the supply of new exceed the supply of used. If the game looked good, and it did have a nice aesthetic I'll admit, and some solid gameplay, it didn't look good to enough people to sell. Arthur of Fates may have been the same way.

Now if only The Fox got Heroes. HP destroying overwatched headshots at range 4? Me like!

Funny how people kept complaining about the lack of original I.P & when they do make one, it doesn't sell well. Go figure.

That sounds amazingly impractical, but I'm sure someone can exploit the hell out of it.

6 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Hey, I love Arthur's artwork in Heroes! I thought it was a perfect choice; I just remember seeing a lot of people disliking it, mostly during launch.

Like I said, it's not just the artwork, but also the stats of a unit. I'll compare her to Nowi again here: from what I've observed from the popular opinion, both her artwork and her stats (at least for what the popular meta desires) are considered to be outright inferior to Nowi. Thus, people tend to prefer Nowi in the context of Heroes, even if there are plenty of people who don't like her either. And then there's Ninian, who's a member of the sought-after Dancer group. That alone gives her more exposure than someone like Corrin, because she can be a vital addition to any team.

I use the example of people that haven't played any other FE game as an extreme, but it's not at all unrealistic to assume that most people playing Heroes have only played a few games. If you (as in the nonspecific "you", not you specifically) never played Fates or Awakening, then would you really put any meaningful thought into whose team you would join in the Summer Gauntlet? Or would you chose the character with the most pleasing art, the most desirable stats, or the easiest chance at feathers? Now that this Gauntlet is reaching a much wider audience with characters from FE7 and FE1/11, anyone who chose Summer Corrin for one of those arbitrary reasons can now join someone that they do like as characters. And anyone who joined Summer Corrin for one of those arbitrary reasons but still has no interest in the other games, well, they just lost any reason to join Corrin again. (Subjectively) Worse art, a less unique unit all around, and after the Summer Gauntlet, there's no guarantee that she's a good choice for easy feathers. There's a lot of varying factors at play here, but most of them don't work in Corrin's favor this time around.

The waifu thing was more for the analogy; I don't like using the term myself, but I couldn't think of a better way to get the analogy across.

It depends, personally. For characters I really like, then artwork makes little difference (I don't really like the artwork for either Linde or Merric, but I like them both as characters, so I'd still use them both). But if it's someone I like but don't like quite as much, artwork can be a deal-breaker. And that's the thing: low-tier characters are made great specifically by people who like them, or by people that want to mess around with less optimal units. For anyone that has less attachment to the characters, though, then there's no reason to invest in a character if they take so much work to get going.

I find it hard to believe that Nowi is the most popular of the contestants just because she's the dragon unit in the game & a solid art piece of her. 

I totally understand where you're getting at here, but there's also her detractors as well. Not to mention Ninian is a good character in her right as well.

I'm an idiot so simplifying & using layman's term isn't exactly bad thing when it comes explaining to me. But I don't like it when someone deliberately go out their way & insult me about it.