Is the Binding Blade the same kind of weapon as Falchion? (Possible spoilers)

I have been thinking about something regarding the game's eponymous sword recently, leading to the question in this topic's title. And of course, the Falchions in the series are the primary objects in the comparison. So what is it they have in common? Well, each weapon is the main ultimate weapons of the main characters. Each are effective against Manaketes and the game's (true) final boss. And each can be used to heal its user. And that's pretty much all the similarities aside from the design up to Echoes, where the Binding Blade is the one of the few things, alongside the Nosferatu spell and Marth's and Alm's Falchions, that can finish off Duma and Grima. (Why Lucina's Falchion can't do that in Echoes, we'll never know. But I think it may be an oversight. Someone let me know if that's the case, please and thank you.) This, however, had me thinking: How? And why? Given the recent expansion on Gaiden's lore, the only answer that I keep coming back to for now is that it might be a Falchion, or a weapon forged from the same materials as Falchion.

Given it's strength in-game (as it's the only weapon in its debut game that has effective DMG against the final boss, save Fae's Divinestone), its empathy (remember: The Binding Blade adjusted its own strength to its wielder's will to spare Idunn, and Lucina's Falchion also shows at least some form of empathy in Lucina's sibling supports), and the fact that it's not considered to be part of the same set as the weapons wielded by the Eight Generals (though its first known user, Hartmut, is among said group) this would make at least some sense. I admit, this brings up more questions than answers. Such as who among Elibe's Divine Dragons would create a Falchion-esque blade. But I think some of those questions might be answered in side material. Particularly, the Hasha no Tsurugi manga. Which is, admittedly, non-canon side material, but side material nonetheless. I bring that manga up because of the fact that it's depiction of Elibe's version of the series' eponymous object. In the game, the Fire Emblem is the ceremonial family heirloom of Bern's Royal Family, and is required to be set in the hilt of the Binding Blade for the sword to be used. And in the Hasha no Tsurugi manga, that same heirloom is shown to be a Dragonstone. And if I remember correctly, the developer's notes for Genealogy of the Holy War says that the Holy Weapons had Dragonstones embedded within them. And the stone within Marth's Falchion is speculated to be a Dragonstone as well. I think where I'm going with this is pretty apparent.

Of course, this understandably brings up questions about the Binding Blade's maker. And something about Roy that wouldn't be hinted at otherwise. After all, each Falchion is forged from a Divine Dragon's fang. And I can't think of any user of a Falchion that wasn't somehow not a royal family member of sorts. All I can think of in regards to this is that Idunn wasn't the only Divine Dragon that remained behind during the Souring. And that at some point, Bern's Royal Family branched off, and some of those members that did branch off were some of Eliwood's ancestors. (Seeing as none of Roy's potential mothers have any ties to Bern's Royal Family. Not to mention, the fact that Pherae's near Bern's border might have played a part in that.)

Of course, this isn't without its holes. Like for starters, the Binding Blade can break. And in other appearances, specifically Heroes (as the Binding Blade didn't appear in any other FE related game besides Smash Bros.), the Binding Blade didn't retain its anti-dragon properties. (Though it does share an effect with the Book of Naga in that same game.)

Anyways, this is something that I've been thinking about. And I wanted to see your thoughts on this. That's all I can say. At least for now.

Edited by Just call me AL

Is the Binding Blade a Falchion? No. 

What the Binding Blade IS tho is the FE equivalent to a Nuclear Warhead. Remember, the Elibean Divine Weapons are flat out STATED to cause a Nuclear Winter, something not even FE4 with it's lolwtf Holy Weapon stats could claim, and Binding Blade is stated to be superior to those two. The Binding Blade can kill Duma because it can kill Divine Dragons. Lucina's Falchion can not because it is not exalted yet while Marth's and Alm's are. The same holds for Ike's Ragnell and Corrin's Yato, that Ragnell hasn't been blessed by Ashera yet while Corrin's Yato hasn't been made into the Omega Yato yet.

In short, is the Binding Blade a Falchion, no, but it is canonically on the same level if not outright superior to it.

Interesting idea. FE6 is supposed to be retelling of Archanea, and the BB is obviously it's plot Falchion, but whether it is physically a Falchion is a good question.

We sadly don't know enough behind the Scouring to know how the Divine Weapons and BB were made. All we're told is that they were made, and that they're very powerful. Athos never explains how they came to be, which is a missed opportunity. Durandal and Eckesachs are both gemmed in their weapon sprites, so they too could have Dragonstones embedded in them, but none of the other Divine Weapons do.

To douse the idea that the Divine Weapons were dragon-made, Athos (of course, FE7 could be retconning stuff we were never told) was surprised to see dragons and humans living in harmony in Arcadia. He shouldn't have been surprised if had he draconic aid in creating his Infernal Truth, Forblaze.

I'm inclined to think the tomes at least were made by different means, I'd wager the achieving of the ultimate harmony with the particular magic type and its associated intellectual goal. Athos learned some philosophic truth of the highest order which let him construct Forblaze. Bramimond reached Dark Nirvana and became filled with the power that got poured into Apocalypse. And Elimine's heart full of purest faith gave her a vision which let her craft Aureola. How the physical weapons were forged is beyond me.

Both Falchions were made by Naga and the Binding Blade wasn't made by Naga (as far as we know, but it would take several leaps in logic to assume that she did create it), so it's not a Falchion. The Binding Blade and Marth/Alm's Falchions do have godslayer properties in SoV (but not Lucina's since it's not fully awakened), so they all seem to share a similar power level.

Edited by Lightchao42

@Interdimensional Observer: I was just talking about the Binding Blade in particular. Again, the Binding Blade is not a Divine Weapon but a weapon mightier than them. I wasn't thinking about anything like the Sword of Sacred Fire, the Axe of Lightning, or the Purest Fire, when I wrote what I did. 

2 hours ago, MCProductions said:

What the Binding Blade IS tho is the FE equivalent to a Nuclear Warhead. Remember, the Elibean Divine Weapons are flat out STATED to cause a Nuclear Winter, something not even FE4 with it's lolwtf Holy Weapon stats could claim, and Binding Blade is stated to be superior to those two. The Binding Blade can kill Duma because it can kill Divine Dragons.

And this topic was, in part, made to ask why it can kill Divine Dragons while the Divine Weapons cannot. 

2 hours ago, MCProductions said:

The same holds for Ike's RagnellLucina's Falchion can not because it is not exalted yet while Marth's and Alm's are. The same holds for Ike's Ragnell and Corrin's Yato, that Ragnell hasn't been blessed by Ashera yet while Corrin's Yato hasn't been made into the Omega Yato yet.

Except Ragnell is already blessed by Ashera. You're probably thinking about Yune's blessing. Not Ashera's.

11 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

I was just talking about the Binding Blade in particular. Again, the Binding Blade is not a Divine Weapon but a weapon mightier than them. I wasn't thinking about anything like the Sword of Sacred Fire, the Axe of Lightning, or the Purest Fire, when I wrote what I did. 

I think my point still stands. Athos should have been privy to how Harmut got the Binding Blade; even if Durban and Bramimond weren't very social, the Eight Legends I imagine would have been close friends. So unless Harmut found the Binding Blade in a shrine of unknown origin (which is how Anri discovered the Falchion IIRC), then if it was forged by Dragons, Athos should have known and thus not have been surprised by Arcadia. Hence, we have reason to object to it being dragon-made save for the situation I just described.

No. The Falchions were made by Naga in the Kaga World.

Elibe isn't stated to be on the same world/universe as the Kaga games, so it's most likely not a Falchion. 

As for the weapon type, falchion, I believe the Binding Blade is too big to be considered a falchion.