Good One-Chapter-Villains

Noni

Schaeffer made quite the impression with his deathquote about needing more priests or perhaps some babies to take hostage. 

There's also Aias. I like how his stats and weaponry reflect his status as a tactician and his general style. Having so many counter weapons also made him a fun boss to tackle. 

I'll assume by "good", you mean that they were able to hold my attention, that they entertained me to some extent, and I'm able to remember them.

Mustafa in Awakening because hey, he's actually a really cool guy and I genuinely wish I didn't have to kill him.

Gheb from Sacred Stones because of trash meme hacks.  Also because he's a fat slob who I highly suspect is a rapist and/or slaver turd in the actual game.  I'd at the very least like to schedule an appointment with a counselor for Amelia and Tana after killing that lard.

Haitaka from Conquest because vRRCwNL.png

Spoiler

And because there's a certain user on this site whose avatar is this guy.

Not sure if he counts necessarily 'cuz he got a little bit more screen-time, but Lang from Mystery because he's a genuine bastard that you actually sorta had to work for until a certain point.  Also since he's literally King Jiol with even less hair.  Nice try, you scummy king of that traitorous country Gra; I see through your lies and deceit.

Also not sure if he counts either because he does have some build-up and also a little bit more than usual screen-time, but Grieth in Echoes just because that SAT AM cartoon villain angle works so well for him.

Honorable mentions to Hyman for... well, you know...

Mustafa from Chapter 10 in Awakening is a welcome exception from that game. Probably one of my preferred minor officers in an FE title.

Quite a few of Thracia's are also more considerate than most of the series, such as Cowan (or if you're Kempf are victim to lolcalisation (even if he doesn't count)), Voltz was a good early example of a merc captain and Eremiya is also great. Denning is remembered for memes, though there are others such as Ghe and the aforementioned Kempf.

I always liked Mustafa in Awakening.  Chapter 10 of Awakening as a whole was a big favorite of mine because it actually reminds you that the people you're fighting aren't just obstacles with no personality or lives of their own.

I like Veyona from RD 3-3. The one non-generic Druid in the whole game, and she isn't a bad person. She calls out on the arrogance of the Senators she serves, but as a loyal soldier, she on her honor defends the supply camp. 

Teodor, the boss of the tediously difficult to get to 19xx in FE7 is cool since he builds on the lore of Dark Magic which I so love in the GBA trio.

Spoiler

Teodor:
“Hello…”

Hector:
“You… Do you live here?”

Teodor:
“No, I’m a simple traveler. I was walking in the woods and became tired. I was resting here. This building… It’s been empty for a long time.”

Hector:
“Really? I think we’ll take a rest here as well. Is that all right?”

Teodor:
“Yes, of course.”

Hector:
“What is this place?”

Teodor:
“It’s a ruin from the Scouring… The residence of a dark sorcerer. I’ve found several ancient tomes here. Fascinating stuff, really. If I can unlock their secrets, I can move closer to the darkness. From what I’ve gathered so far, I must make further reparations.”

Eliwood:
“Reparations?”

Teodor:
“Yes. It’s the fate of those who study dark magic. If you covet the dark, you must enter it of your own free will. You must erase yourself and become an empty vessel. Only then will you be able to receive the dark and master it. If your disposition is weak, the dark will overwhelm you. You will be…lost… …Ofttimes, you will forget why you seek the power to begin with. Only a few people ever gain true power. To win such a prize, one’s self is a small and insignificant sacrifice.”

Eliwood:
“……”

Teodor:
“I’ve heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons.”

Eliwood:
“…I don’t understand. Why would anyone want power at the cost of his own identity?”

Teodor:
“I must have it at any cost.” I believe every living soul has felt such desire. I know I have. Have you not, Lord Eliwood of Pherae?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Chapter 10 of Awakening as a whole was a big favorite of mine because it actually reminds you that the people you're fighting aren't just obstacles with no personality or lives of their own.

Yeah. The only Thing, that I don't like about him, is that he might remind you of that, but he isn't reminding the Player Characters of that. We don't see any Player Character react to that chapter in any way, aside from Ricken in the Support with Henry.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I like Veyona from RD 3-3. The one non-generic Druid in the whole game, and she isn't a bad person. She calls out on the arrogance of the Senators she serves, but as a loyal soldier, she on her honor defends the supply camp. 

Veyona is a Woman?

Veyona is a woman!?
Apparently 200 playthroughs weren't enough to figure it out.

As for the topic I find Septimus hilarious for being an absolute pussy.

I thought the sleep staff guy in Fe4 chapter 2 was interesting enough for being the only Augustrian noble that isn't either an complete idiot or a mustache twirler. He only gathered his troops when Sigurd conquerd two castles and was right next to him.

And then there's Hafed who may not be a Camus, but who's still is a perfectly polite gentleman. I believe he's the only not racist Dain boss and he's even somewhat mild against Tauroneo.

Edited by Sasori

If we are going with good Daein Bosses, they're is also Kasatai. It was kinda cute, how Ena expected him to run away and made him promise to not abandon her and he reacts full of hope, that they can now beat Crimea.

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

She? Veyona is a dude.

Carlyle is the first name who comes to mind. He's creepy yet believable, a character whose flaws bring the downfall of his country. He's built up very effectively in that one chapter and he certainly earns the re-introduction of Powerful Foe into Eirika's tale.

As mentioned, Aias right before him is pretty good too!

Mustafa in Awakening is a pretty classic FE trope but the combination of his conversations with his underlings, his conversation with Chrom, and the epic music helped make him a memorable foe.

Erik in FE7 gets, in one chapter, a clear personality and developed relationships with three other characters (his father, Eliwood, Hector). He's also one of the few bosses who doesn't die until the sequel!

Obviously there are also several effective one-chapter comic villains, like Glass, Schaeffer, Nedata, Cervantes and Septimus (well, they're two-chapter), etc.,

Since people have already said Mustafa, I'll take another one from Awakening and say Pheros. She's got a cool boss quote with Chrom that shows she's not just a random mook, but has her own history and fights for what she believes to be right. She's also got a pretty neat design.

21 hours ago, Refa said:

70% of FE5's generic bosses.

Going to second this considering a good number of them actually have involvement with the chapters they are in.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Carlyle is the first name who comes to mind. He's creepy yet believable, a character whose flaws bring the downfall of his country. He's built up very effectively in that one chapter and he certainly earns the re-introduction of Powerful Foe into Eirika's tale.

Yeah, Carlyle was written really well. A good, short deal-with-the-devil story with a big impact on the main plot.

I'll also echo the Observer and say that Teodore was a great source of Elibian lore, so that alone makes him deserving a spot here.

In terms of gameplay, I'll nominate Henning from the Durandal chapter in FE6, thanks to being one of the few bosses that you have to be careful with.

From FE6 Sigune, because of her death quote and because she is more of a cynic, than downright evil.

Pereth, because I liked it, how he comes to save Murdock if you aren't fast enough with defeating him. And I've a thing for Villains that outlive their superiors.

Eubans from FE7 has also a similar mix of cynical and honorable as Sigune and also a cool death quote.

Yuma, the zealot boss from RD4-1, not because he's a particularly well built character, but because fighting the armies of the Goddess of Order and her champions give us a new perspective because you actually feel you are fighting against that universe's God. He truly believes he is in the right path due to serving the personification of the Greater Good, and for all it's worth he is one of the chosen to fight for Ashera's name. Imagine a truly fervorous person being chosen by God to fight on his name. That is a great honor for a believer. His disbelief at losing despite earnestly believing he is on God's side made this all the better.

His ridiculous dialogue with Naesala was also priceless.

Spoiler

Yuma: Black-winged demon, eater of carrion! Prepare to receive the goddess’s judgment!
Naesala: Hmm…how colorful.