What are elixers/Vulnerarys

Pengaius

Anybody know what the elixer vulnerary really are I mean they can heal stab wounds arrow wounds magic fire evil dragon breath but are absolutely worthless against diseases a la  fe6 eliwood 

Weird random question that Eclipse'll probably shut down in about five minutes? Sounds like a great time to post!

To be honest, nobody is sure what exactly Vulneraries and Elixirs are, but they've always only healed HP, never other issues - Poisoned Units, for example, will remain poisoned until either the poison wears off, a certain Staff is used(can't remember which at the moment), or an Antitoxin is ingested. Yeah, it's weird and makes no sense, but a) it's a video game, and b) if they cured everything then the game would lose some of the strategy because you'd never have to worry about bringing in things like Antitoxin…oh wait…

Vulneraries appear to be an antiseptic topical liquid. According to Tellius at least:

Spoiler

Devdan: Devdan has been watching you… Mmm… Your wound has not been treated properly. You will get an infection.
Tormod: Aw, it’s useless. I rub it with vulnerary and dress it with a cloth, but it doesn’t do any good. I just need a priest to mumble some magic words and wave a staff over it!

Marcia: That’s nearly impossible…but maybe you’ll be that good one day. Hold on… Rolf, let me see your hands.
Rolf: My hands?
Marcia: Oh, barnacles! Your hands are covered with blisters! And you’re bleeding! Why are you still practicing like this? What’s wrong with you!?
Rolf: It hurt at first, but my hands went numb after a while–so I just kept plucking arrows out of my quiver.
Marcia: Holy crow, Rolf… You’re tough, I’ll give you that. Hold still. I know I have a vulnerary around here… There, found it. This may sting a little.
Rolf: Thank-YOOOOWWWCCHHH!!! Hey, that hurt!

RD's Herbs are implied to be used the same way, since Kurth gives the injured Micaiah a bandage with Olivi Grass in it (Olivi Grass is probably ingested by Laguz though for shifting purposes). Whether Concoctions function the same way as Vulneraries, I don't know. Logically, it makes more sense than ingesting them. As for Elixirs, we have this suggesting they might also be topically applied:

Spoiler

Micaiah: Yes, I’m fine. How about you, Sothe? Are you all right? You’re not hurt?
Sothe: I’m not a child, Micaiah! When are you going to start treating me like an adult?
Micaiah: Show me your hand.
Sothe: What?
Micaiah: Look at your hands. They’re so big… They were so small when we met.
Sothe: Micaiah…
Ike: Ahh… Sorry. Am I interrupting something?
Sothe: C-Commander!
Micaiah: It’s all right, Ike. How can we help you?
Ike: I was scrounging around in my stuff and found some extra medicine. I figured I’d ask around and see if anyone needed it.
[After the long story which I've edited out]
Ike: It seems the feelings between you two run both ways. But that’s probably the wisest choice for Daein, and Sothe too. Anyway…
Micaiah: Oh, um… May I have some medicine? 

Ike: Oh! Yeah, I almost forgot. Survive, Micaiah. We need you, and the goddess you host, to save the people of Tellius.
Micaiah: Yes. I know.

I'm guessing Sothe's hands were injured and Micaiah wanted the Elixir to treat them.

Antitoxins and Panaceas are ingested I would guess, since poison gets into the bloodstream. Tellius fails us here.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

In the real world, "vulnerary" simply refers to anything that can be used to treat woulds. Antiseptic ointments for cuts are probably the closest you'll get.

On 09/10/2017 at 9:58 PM, Rezzy said:

It's all placebo effect.

this

rezzy is a doctor she knows the truth

But really, they're just generic video game "potions"

Edited by Nobody

A delicious, nutritious and absolutely rejuvenating mixture of sugar, spice, and everything nice. If it didn't taste good then why would Emma top a "Pretty please?" with it?