The "I shouldn't like you as much as I do, but I can't help it" thread!

Thane

Hello everyone.

A silly title to be sure, but I think it gets the point across: what are some of the characters you find yourself really liking either in spite of yourself or without you really knowing why?

For me, that character will always be Cynthia. She's pretty one-note for the most part outside of the DLC, has a really contrived recruitment map and has a loud, high-pitched voice which I tend to utterly despise (tell me this isn't the worst thing you've ever heard in your life). However, I think her design is adorable, her recruitment lines are among my favorites in the series, and gosh darnit I even like the voice for some reason. It also helps that she's got some good DLC interactions. All of this leads me to always make her Marth's descendant and give her Aether, because I just like her that much and can't pass up the opportunity to make someone like that a royal. 

How about you guys?

Ohh noooo this isn't in General Gaming. Can I say a Pokemon character now and maybe come back later with a FE one?

Three words: Ya. Boy. Guzma. First impression was "Meh, but I like his encounter music, it's catchier than his battle music". First impression of his underlings: "What idiots, but they're funny idiots." First impression of Guzma's bitch Plumeria: "Hmm, seems like...she's a bit smarter than the rest of the team."

Time went on, I played through, and got to the part where

Spoiler

Lusamine was revealed to be working with Team Skull to bring ultra beasts in to wreak havoc on the region

and I shipped Guzma with Lusamine and wrote a cringey headcanon where he was the father of Lusamine's kids instead of 

Spoiler

Mohn

But that only lasted for, idk, a few months. I started thinking, if Ya Boy's going to be with anyone, he'd be better off with someone closer to him in the first place instead of having a random one night stand when he was 17 and ending up with two kids he doesn't know about. Even if he totally WOULD do that, given the opportunity...but there has to be a reason Plumeria's the second in command. She was probably Guzma's childhood friend, they both came from rough backgrounds, it's implied that his dad was an abusive drunk who beat him with golf clubs for crying out loud. They'd start out as friends with benefits. Until she gets pregnant, and then he doesn't do much with his kid until he (yeah, he, I gave them a son) is at least...5 ish, out of not knowing what the heck he's supposed to do, plus not wanting to be the same kind of father his dad was, so he keeps his distance so he doesn't lose his temper. By that time they act like the alpha male and female of a wolf pack, dominant over everyone else, clearly in love, and the love is wild and feral the majority of the time.

That's fanfic stuff though...Team Skull has become my favorite villain team because of how unique and down right goofy they are. Didn't expect that, didn't expect a villain team leader to have such an interesting backstory and to be a memorable character on top of that. The dude's hilarious and kind of a badass, and omg, his quotes and facial expressions xD

I'll have to try to come up with a FE character I can apply here...

Edited by Dragoncat

I tend to find tsundere characters insufferable/annoying, but I don't mind Selena/Severa at all. It's probably because I can't stand Cordelia and Severa is the way she is because of her, so I sort of can understand Severa.

I have to say Sonya from SoV.  I normally don't like younger sibling characters even though I am a younger sibling, but I found I really related to Sonya in terms of how she relates to things.

9 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Ya. Boy. Guzma.

That guy's awesome though; nothing strange about liking him at all! Man I hope he'll get some more scenes in USUM.

A~nyway, let's not derail the thread already!

Peri: Despite her high pitch voice in all versions of the game, using murder as a gimmick, and being hated by most of the member here, she is one of my favorite character in the series. With the right resources she can be a good point unit in Conquest in the enemy phase. Plus she has some funny conservations about killing people, I have a taste in black humor so her talking about killing people doesn't offend me.

Vika: There is little about her character other than being a former slave, she is absent for most of the game doing who knows what. I think the looks nice especially the eyes, shame there is little else about her.

Rhajat: Being part of the second generation in Fates in bad, being a clone of one of my favorite characters in the series is a gamble. But I like her, seeing her a a younger version  of Tharja, interacting with other people than in Awakening. Plus she is actually nicer than her counterpart.

Nina: I stay away for the likes of Tumblr and shipping, especially gay shipping. But for Nina I thought it was funny how strange her imagination went to. I know want it is like to daydream for long periods of time (not about shipping), so I could empathize with her. Plus with the right mother she can be a better Niles.

53 minutes ago, Thane said:

That guy's awesome though; nothing strange about liking him at all! Man I hope he'll get some more scenes in USUM.

A~nyway, let's not derail the thread already!

USUM is supposed to be an "alternate" story though, so if he's not a dorky hilarious thug again I'm gonna scream. He just won't be himself or nearly as awesome.

But yeah, if you want to discuss more, PM me. Or have the mods move this to general gaming...

12 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Or have the mods move this to general gaming...

How about no.

As for the topic, Reinhardt. Seriously, I didn't even really know he existed until Heroes and after I pulled him he's become my strongest and most reliable character. I looked into his character, and honestly I have no idea whether I would've liked him if I'd played his game before Heroes. But Proto, Iris, and Lumi had nice things to say about him, and I think he is a better brother than a certain someone else. Olwen also falls under here to a certain extent, but her character in Thracia is actually cool. My Olwen in Heroes was -atk (all both of them), so I haven't used her nearly as much there XD

Other characters, well ... I do have a good reason for liking them as much as I do so they probably don't fall under this topic.

To recent knowledge I have to go with Peri and that's only due to her Laslow support and how it actually gives us a bit of back story for Peri besides Niles support. If I hadn't read through that support I still would have a pretty low opinion of her (well lower than it is now anyways).

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

I tend to find tsundere characters insufferable/annoying, but I don't mind Selena/Severa at all. It's probably because I can't stand Cordelia and Severa is the way she is because of her, so I sort of can understand Severa.

Same, and I actually think she has some great supports, too!

Also: Kliff. Kliff we know virtually nothing about; he has one support and no story interaction, there's nothing to really either dislike or like about him. I generally don't make much use of characters about whom we know very little, but not only is Kliff always in my Echoes party, but he ended up with the largest number of kills both times. I like his design and expressions a lot.

Here are some that I like, Heath (FE7), Benny (FE Fates), Brom (FE 9 & 10) Duessel (FE 8).

Now for a real stumper, I like Hans from Fates and I don't know why. Seriously I cannot figure out why, he's a villain and a very badly written one at that. No development, no personality, no motives or goals. A blank piece of paper has more development and personality than this guy.

I also like Faye, which doesn't make sense seen as how badly she was written, with her I guess I feel bad for her. She was about to be killed by Sir Scumbag and then Alm shows up and "saves" her, technically it was all Mycenae's doing but still. Maybe it's because I can easily imagine a girl who had been in that situation than wanting to marry the person who had saved them. 

I'm really surprised I liked Innes as much as I do, as I don't care that much for jerk characters in Fire Emblem. I didn't care much for him when I first watched my sister play, but when I played through I realized he was actually a pretty neat character. 

Odin. Some see him as a step down from Owain, but I still like him quite a bit. He also has shit stats in both Fates and Heroes but that doesn't stop me from wasting EXP and feeding him units. What can I say? His dorky speech and Dark Abs woo me every time. Also, his support with Kagero was one of a handful from Fates that I enjoyed.

Ilyana. Okay, I know she isn't a deep or even a good character. Everyone, you can stop reminding me now. Still, I have fond memories from my youth of struggling to recruit her and, when I did finally manage to stop being stupid, her rather decent ability in battle. I also enjoyed her dialogue with Zihark in RD if you supported them together. Funny, how brief optional dialogue gives her more character than most of her supports in the prequel game.

Makalov. I've stated this on several threads but Makalov is the definition of a "guilty pleasure" unit. His design is a bit odd; he's outclassed by the other cavaliers available before him; and he's a complete asshole with no reddeming qualities. But it's because of his douchebag nature that he's one of my favorite characters and units in the FE franchise. We need more genuine assholes in the FE series, to be honest.

Edited by saisymbolic

Sumia, Cynthia and Hana, I suppose. Really does highlight the 'if you don't like this one specific part of the Modern games, you're not getting appealed to at all' thing.

Seriously, I don't even see the appeal of the Cordelia/Subaki/Caeldori archetype, despite being a peg lover.

49 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Sumia, Cynthia and Hana, I suppose. Really does highlight the 'if you don't like this one specific part of the Modern games, you're not getting appealed to at all' thing.

Seriously, I don't even see the appeal of the Cordelia/Subaki/Caeldori archetype, despite being a peg lover.

Frankly, I can't really call that an archetype when outside of the usual suspects, archetypes have pretty much left the building.

8 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Frankly, I can't really call that an archetype when outside of the usual suspects, archetypes have pretty much left the building.

I'm talking more about their common characterisation. What's the word for that if not archetype?

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm talking more about their common characterisation. What's the word for that if not archetype?

I'd use expy instead.

I didn't think I'd love Raven as much as I do. I don't use him in Blazing Blade because by then, I've got my mainteam and he joins at such a low level, but his design and angstyness is A++

I also like Artur, despite what I said about Sacred Stones. He was possibly my best unit.

Basilio and Flavia are amazing, and I wish that they could S-support each other.

Idk why I love Jesse and Kamui so much. I love their voices, I love what thet say...ahhhh.

And this isn't Fire Emblem related but...freaking Shima Renzou. Just, the way he's been acting in recent chapters...mmm.

Probably Camilla. She is a lot of stuff that usually bothers me, but her being a great unit and her very limited backstory make me like her. I would like her a lot more if she had better armour and was less Corrinsexual, which unfortunately are the two worst things about her and also the two that stand out most. 

To this day I have no idea why I like Ilyana (or shipping her with Zihark), but I just do.

I usually can't stand jerky characters, but Innes is one of my favorites from SS and Azama makes me laugh.

And an optional "Heroes did it" mention of Reinhardt and Julia.