Holy war banner

JDtheBA

5 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

I also don't get why Valflame has a whole bunch of ploys stacked on it. I mean, it's interesting sure, but the Valflame in geneology was all about raw, ridiculous damage. I expected it to be something along the lines of ragnarok, but only for attack.

I guess they kinda wanted to make him a Sigurd counter, fittingly. After all, Sigurd doesn't have that much RES and Valflame is basically just Atk/Res Ploy 2.5. However, there's still the issue of Sigurd having Divine Tyrfing and Crusader's Ward, which will help defend him from Valflame, even if he gets affected by the debuffs.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I guess they kinda wanted to make him a Sigurd counter, fittingly. After all, Sigurd doesn't have that much RES and Valflame is basically just Atk/Res Ploy 2.5. However, there's still the issue of Sigurd having Divine Tyrfing and Crusader's Ward, which will help defend him from Valflame, even if he gets affected by the debuffs.

True. I'm interested to see the Alvis GHB map... I wonder how it'll be set up.

Hey guys, I'm really liking how IS is introducing exclusive skills. It makes the characters more unique that way, but I wanted to say that the Hardy Bearing seal cancels out Arden's Follow Up Ring ability. It's essentially Desperation, but it activates when he's attacked at 50% HP. I checked when I was using Lucina to attack Arden in Lunatic, Follow Up Ring is cancelled out by Hardy Bearing. Go and try it for yourself if you don't believe me. 

21 minutes ago, BlazingMage said:

Hey guys, I'm really liking how IS is introducing exclusive skills. It makes the characters more unique that way, but I wanted to say that the Hardy Bearing seal cancels out Arden's Follow Up Ring ability. It's essentially Desperation, but it activates when he's attacked at 50% HP. I checked when I was using Lucina to attack Arden in Lunatic, Follow Up Ring is cancelled out by Hardy Bearing. Go and try it for yourself if you don't believe me. 

What? Based on its description, it should be nothing like Desperation and everything like a better Quick Riposte. It doesn't change the order of attacks, so Hardy Bearing shouldn't be relevant.

Edit: Yeah, I checked and it absolutely activates against Hardy Bearing. I think you're misunderstanding what Follow-Up Ring actually does.

Edited by Othin

9 minutes ago, Othin said:

What? Based on its description, it should be nothing like Desperation and everything like a better Quick Riposte. It doesn't change the order of attacks, so Hardy Bearing shouldn't be relevant.

Edit: Yeah, I checked and it absolutely activates against Hardy Bearing. I think you're misunderstanding what Follow-Up Ring actually does.

Huh, but I was using Lucina (with Hardy Bearing) and no follow up attack for Arden occurred when he was attacked and his HP was enough to activate the skill. ''It guarantees a follow up attack'' but with Desperation, a follow up attack immediately occurs afterwards. They are similar in that regard. Weird.

Edited by BlazingMage

33 minutes ago, BlazingMage said:

Hey guys, I'm really liking how IS is introducing exclusive skills.

I do but i don't. Legendary Weapons make sense for some characters. Exclusive Specials are fine too (we only have two of them and we need more Specials anyway) but i don't like how the A-B-C Skills are being locked to some characters. Plenty of units out there could benefit from having Follow-Up Ring but nope, only Arden can have it. Plenty of units could benefit from Crusader's Ward but nope, only Sigurd can have it. This is evidence of power creep. "But Skill Inheritance" you might say. You can't inherit if the Skill is uninheritable. If this becomes a trend in the future, it's gonna be bad and that's what i'm worrying about. We still have no way of knowing for sure, but i'm gonna hit someone if the next banner has characters with unique A-B-C Skills.

I'm not gonna go after the CYL units or any special banner units since they are supposed to be special.

Just now, BlazingMage said:

Huh, but I was using Lucina (with Hardy Bearing) and no follow up attack for Arden occurred when he was attacked and his HP was enough to activate the skill. ''It guarantees a follow up attack'' but with Desperation, a follow up attack immediately occurs afterwards. Weird.

Can you explain exactly how the combat played out? Who attacked first, etc.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Desperation, because Arden does not have Desperation. The way combat normally plays out is:

• Attacking unit attacks once. (Or twice, with a Brave weapon.)
  • Defending unit attacks once, if able to counter.
  • Attacking unit attacks again, if able to perform a follow-up attack due to high Speed or a skill. (Twice, with a Brave weapon.)
  • Defending unit attacks again, if able to counter and perform a follow-up attack due to high Speed or a skill.

Desperation and Vantage change this order, and Hardy Bearing stops any such changes to the order.

If you're having your Lucina initiate combat against an Arden with Follow-Up Ring and >50% HP, then if Lucina has at least 5 more Spd than Arden and no other relevant skills are involved, the way it should play out is exactly like the above example.

• Lucina attacks.
  • Arden counters.
  • Lucina attacks again.
  • Arden counters again, assuming he's still alive.

If Arden is the one to initiate combat, the order is inverted and Arden hits twice each time because of his brave weapon, but things are otherwise the same.

Some screenshots I took of Arden having his follow-up attack against both a Catria with Hardy Bearing and a Valter without it:

tumblr_oxx8x2NTMB1sn35pqo1_400.png

tumblr_oxx8x2NTMB1sn35pqo2_400.png

tumblr_oxx8x2NTMB1sn35pqo3_400.png

tumblr_oxx8x2NTMB1sn35pqo4_400.png

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

Can you explain exactly how the combat played out? Who attacked first, etc.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Desperation, because Arden does not have Desperation. The way combat normally plays out is:

• Attacking unit attacks once. (Or twice, with a Brave weapon.)
  • Defending unit attacks once, if able to counter.
  • Attacking unit attacks again, if able to perform a follow-up attack due to high Speed or a skill. (Twice, with a Brave weapon.)
  • Defending unit attacks again, if able to counter and perform a follow-up attack due to high Speed or a skill.

Desperation and Vantage change this order, and Hardy Bearing stops any such changes to the order.

If you're having your Lucina initiate combat against an Arden with Follow-Up Ring and >50% HP, then if Lucina has at least 5 more Spd than Arden and no other relevant skills are involved, the way it should play out is exactly like the above example.

• Lucina attacks.
  • Arden counters.
  • Lucina attacks again.
  • Arden counters again, assuming he's still alive.

If Arden is the one to initiate combat, the order is inverted and Arden hits twice each time because of his brave weapon, but things are otherwise the same.

Some screenshots I took of Arden having his follow-up attack against both a Catria with Hardy Bearing and a Valter without it:

Hide contents

tumblr_oxx8x2NTMB1sn35pqo1_400.png

tumblr_oxx8x2NTMB1sn35pqo2_400.png

tumblr_oxx8x2NTMB1sn35pqo3_400.png

tumblr_oxx8x2NTMB1sn35pqo4_400.png

I think maybe the battle played out differently, Lucina out-sped him but even with the HP he had Follow-Up ring should have activated but it didn't. I believe he was at 30 HP or something, but I'm telling you that Arden had no follow up attack when Lucina was initating combat against but he did have it with my other units.  And I agree with you about how Follow Up ring works.

Edited by BlazingMage

1 minute ago, BlazingMage said:

I think maybe the battle played out differently, Lucina out-sped him but even with the HP he had Follow-Up ring should have activated but it didn't. I believe he was at 30 HP or something, but I'm telling you that Arden had no follow up attack when Lucina was initating combat against but he did have it with my other units.  And I agree with you about how Follow Up ring works.

Did Lucina have Swordbreaker? That's the only thing I can think of that would stop it.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Did Lucina have Swordbreaker? That's the only thing I can think of that would stop it.

Not at all, looking back I should have taken a picture. The only units I have with Swordbreaker are Ike and Sully. Either Hardy Bearing worked, or it was a glitch but I remember he was doing 3 damage against Lucina and he had enough HP to activate the skill but it didn't activate. And Lucina also had enough HP to activate Hardy Bearing (Level 2 tier). I'm gonna upgrade the seal when I have more coins.

Edited by BlazingMage

Just in case I might sound stupid or something,this is a serious question.

Sigurd has this close defense skill which grants res and def when atacked by sword lance axe or dragonstone.

How does a boost in res help in those situations? To my knowledge these are all melee units which affect def.

Is this purely intended to increase a special which is based on res?

Sounds all a little bit ,not very useful, to me.

3 minutes ago, Prince Endriu said:

Just in case I might sound stupid or something,this is a serious question.

Sigurd has this close defense skill which grants res and def when atacked by sword lance axe or dragonstone.

How does a boost in res help in those situations? To my knowledge these are all melee units which affect def.

Is this purely intended to increase a special which is based on res?

Sounds all a little bit ,not very useful, to me.

Dragonstones hit Res.

2 minutes ago, Vespinae said:

Do we know how we're getting Ayra yet? I usually check stuff like the subreddit but I couldn't find anything.

No, we don’t. There is a possibility for a GHB.

My free pull was...

A 4 star Jaegan.

I'm so sick of seeing this old man.

But hey, when I plunked down 20 hard-earned orbs for five summons, I got Nino! Twice! And I already have a 5 star Nino that I trained up... (I love you Nino, but I don't need more 3 stars of you)

But I did finally get Cain! Never pulled him before, so I was excited to see him.

None of the FE 4 characters though. One day... one day...

I have the worst luck at Summons, but I still keep playing this game. Because it's surprisingly fun to train up my little warriors into total beasts.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

No, we don’t. There is a possibility for a GHB.

That's good. I'm hoping she's free, but I'm a little worried she won't be because of Arvis and that I knight dude I don't care about are in it too. If we get banners of 3 units now, I'm getting really worried about leaked characters like her.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I think he has so many ploys because he's a schemer that would send others to finish the job, rather than trying to make him a counter to anything in particular.  It seems more a case of using the lore to build the character skillset, similar to how Zephiel has Life and Death because of his insanity and the fact that he survived multiple assassination attempts.

18 minutes ago, Vespinae said:

That's good. I'm hoping she's free, but I'm a little worried she won't be because of Arvis and that I knight dude I don't care about are in it too.

Ayra's definitely free. She's either gonna be a Tempest Reward or a GHB. She'd fit the bill for a GHB too, since she does start out as an enemy.

Alternatively, they could have two Tempest Reward characters.

17 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

I think he has so many ploys because he's a schemer that would send others to finish the job, rather than trying to make him a counter to anything in particular.  It seems more a case of using the lore to build the character skillset, similar to how Zephiel has Life and Death because of his insanity and the fact that he survived multiple assassination attempts.

Wasn't that more along the lines of Manfroy though? Arvis isn't really a schemer. He personally gave Sigurd a Silver Sword and the, in Ch.5, gave him a barbecue. He wanted to build an Empire of peace, and he did, until Julius and Manfroy corrupted it. Arvis is not a schemer.

1 hour ago, BlazingMage said:

Huh, but I was using Lucina (with Hardy Bearing) and no follow up attack for Arden occurred when he was attacked and his HP was enough to activate the skill. ''It guarantees a follow up attack'' but with Desperation, a follow up attack immediately occurs afterwards. They are similar in that regard. Weird.

That's absolutely baffling, but I totally believe it. A ton of stuff doesn't work the way it says it should.

Just now, dragonlordsd said:

That's absolutely baffling, but I totally believe it. A ton of stuff doesn't work the way it says it should.

I'm just saying that's what happened, Arden's skill didn't activate but it did for other units.  Next time it happens I'll take a picture.

1 minute ago, BlazingMage said:

I'm just saying that's what happened, Arden's skill didn't activate but it did for other units.  Next time it happens I'll take a picture.

Awesome, thanks. This could be a really important thing to learn, so definitely keep us posted.

But, am I the only one who thinks Arden's art steps into the uncanny valley? It's not clicking, I think the artist tried to emulate the original FE4 art but updated it at the same time. Arden just looks creepy.

Edited by BlazingMage

Just now, dragonlordsd said:

Awesome, thanks. This could be a really important thing to learn, so definitely keep us posted.

Try and get him to the HP threshold, see if Hardy Bearing works. If he's at 30 HP or lower, it shouldn't activate when using the seal. And I will, if anything happens I'll immediately update you guys.

Edited by BlazingMage

27 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

I tested it and it didn't happen. See the screenshots I posted.

23 minutes ago, BlazingMage said:

Try and get him to the HP threshold, see if Hardy Bearing works. If he's at 30 HP or lower, it shouldn't activate when using the seal. And I will, if anything happens I'll immediately update you guys.

Follow-Up Ring works above 50% HP, not below. If he's below half, he won't be getting the follow-up attacks whether you have Hardy Bearing or not.