Fire Emblem PC game?

Devon The Mage

I was thinking of making a Fan Game with popular characters and I thought what sort of features would be good?

I'm thinking of using a lot of modern game play elements such as pair ups, my units, and child units but I also wanted a lot of new interesting stuff to make it sort of unique from other fan games. The plot would probably be pretty basic overall but with the unique game specific characters' personality and growth would be the main focus besides the actual gameplay. I have a link here for feedback on some things but if anyone has any other sorts of ideas or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them, as well as what already existing characters would people want to see make an appearance?

Link: http://www.strawpoll.me/darthax3l

Hey,

Very interesting idea, I would certainly love to play!

Maybe, if possible, you could post every poll with the question directly next to it, so that it would be easier to find and decide the ones you want to actually do. Only if you want, though

Edited by Macoal
a spelling mistake

On 10/13/2017 at 7:17 AM, Enaluxeme said:

Mixing mechanics from the whole series can definitely work, but I think you'll have more success with original characters.

Yeah, I planned on that. Already existing characters would be more likely making an appearance in a few chapters to either assist/deter the protagonists group, or something along those lines.

On 10/13/2017 at 4:03 AM, Macoal said:

Maybe, if possible, you could post every poll with the question directly next to it, so that it would be easier to find and decide the ones you want to actually do. Only if you want, though

Not sure what you mean there. Links for each individual question? As it is now each question is its own poll and they don't have to be answered together. 

If you're going to be featuring characters across the entire series, then I would suggest having a heroes-esque game as opposed to a standard game with a narrative.

You could for example have a rogue-like FE where there's a barracks/base (such as in the Tellius games) between each map and you get to choose one unit between a selection of five or so units to recruit. Those units could be characters from across the entire series. You may start the game with ~6 random units (one being a lord/MC in the series OR a 'My Unit', one being a Jeigan and another being a healer -- rest being completely random) and you go through each map that may be semi-randomised (same with loot and enemies).  Each playthrough is ~20 maps long or so and you can opt to have many difficulty modes and a ranking system (the latter being a a perfect fit for a game like this).

This can allow you to create a purely gameplay driven FE with plenty of re-playability and featuring a massive roster of units with popular characters. 

...But that's just one option. You may want to explore many different things.

Just as a thought, the plot could focus on the use of Outrealm Gates to wage wars with other worlds. The antagonists could have conquered their world entirely and decided to move onto others. The Smash characters could be deemed Legendary Heroes or such by the events of this story and perhaps have aged.

• 2 weeks later...

On a more technical note, what are you planning on using to create the engine for the game?  Will you be using something like OpenGL, GameMaker Studio, Unity, UE4, Python + PyGame, etc.?

I mean, Fire Emblem isn't that much of a graphically intensive game; if you're fine with just 2D Graphics, you could probably get away with something like software rendering.

also no smex in my christian fire emblem thank you very much

After about a month, I've collected the poll results and have a decent base scheme for the overall system. Unfortunately I've run into a Technological Crisis and will not be able to start development until sometime mid December. I will start planning the plot and characters in the mean time. I'll post more information around then. I'd like to thank you all for for the responses though. I appreciate it. 

On 11/4/2017 at 5:18 PM, B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N said:

On a more technical note, what are you planning on using to create the engine for the game?  Will you be using something like OpenGL, GameMaker Studio, Unity, UE4, Python + PyGame, etc.?

I mean, Fire Emblem isn't that much of a graphically intensive game; if you're fine with just 2D Graphics, you could probably get away with something like software rendering.

also no smex in my christian fire emblem thank you very much

Lol I'm thinking of making everything from scratch in Visual Studio. I might head to UE4 if it turns out to be simpler that way though.

6 hours ago, Devon The Mage said:

After about a month, I've collected the poll results and have a decent base scheme for the overall system. Unfortunately I've run into a Technological Crisis and will not be able to start development until sometime mid December. I will start planning the plot and characters in the mean time. I'll post more information around then. I'd like to thank you all for for the responses though. I appreciate it. 

Lol I'm thinking of making everything from scratch in Visual Studio. I might head to UE4 if it turns out to be simpler that way though.

Alright.  C# is a good language to write a game in; you have several options to choose from when making a game in C#.  IIRC there are OpenGL bindings for C#, but most just go with Unity or another game engine.