Would YOU like to see a Second generation?

Would you like to See a Second Generation?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a second generation

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which Fire emblem handled children better

• Fire emblem 13, Fire emblem 14
    • Fire emblem 4
  3. 3. Should there even be children

• Yes
    • No

The problem with children in a game that doesn’t kill off the first generation is that it inherently kills unit diversity by making a third of the cast either objectively better than or carbon copies of their parents. In Awakening they were objectively better, but in Fates there’s almost nothing they can do that their parents can’t thanks to partner seals. I’d much rather have a larger cast of characters with more diverse class and skill sets.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God I wish there was a maybe option for questions 1 and 3. It really depends on circumstances.

Child units worked in FE4 because of how they were handled. It felt realistic with the time skip and we got to experience what happens when a Fire Emblem Lord actually loses.

While not ideal storywise, I do believe that Awakening was alright with the child mechanic because of how the plot handled it. Was it ideal? No. But it wasn't as bad as it could have been. How they handled it in Fates, however, was horrible and totally unnecessary.

I wouldn't mind seeing a second generation, but only in a game like Genealogy of the Holy War, or maybe even 2 separate games like the first game from the parents, and then you upload that save to the second game for the kids. But not like Awakening or Fates.

I'm not against S Rank, marriages and children BUT, making up some inter dimensional bullshit to justify children growing up in days is unacceptable. If they want to put children in FE 16, I would like to see them playable in a little 10 to 15 chapters post game story happening 20 years after the real story, if not, I don't want them at all

5 minutes ago, Heliozen said:

I'm not against S Rank, marriages and children BUT, making up some inter dimensional bullshit to justify children growing up in days is unacceptable. If they want to put children in FE 16, I would like to see them playable in a little 10 to 15 chapters post game story happening 20 years after the real story, if not, I don't want them at all

By that you mean the Fates mechanic of the Hyperbolic- I mean, Deeprealms. And since I doubt time travel will be a thing in the newer games, they can't pull an Awakening.

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

By that you mean the Fates mechanic of the Hyperbolic- I mean, Deeprealms. And since I doubt time travel will be a thing in the newer games, they can't pull an Awakening.

Yes, I think it was really made poorly it was incoherent but at least it was optional, Awakening children mechanic was okay since time travel was a part of the story but none of them handled it better than Genealogy 

On November 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Alastor15243 said:

The problem with children in a game that doesn’t kill off the first generation is that it inherently kills unit diversity by making a third of the cast either objectively better than or carbon copies of their parents. In Awakening they were objectively better, but in Fates there’s almost nothing they can do that their parents can’t thanks to partner seals. I’d much rather have a larger cast of characters with more diverse class and skill sets.

I can't really argue with that, but I like having extra options in terms of units - assuming Fates didn't have children, I'd find it very hard to give the likes of Arthur or Niles even so much as a cursory glance (and as is, they're both already among the first units I cut from the team when I have to make cuts). . .

On November 1, 2017 at 2:30 AM, Hopeofdespair said:

I think having the children for the second act of the game isn’t too bad. It worked well for FE 4, maybe they could try to replicate what they did before.

Let's just hope we get anymore Outrealms Bollucks. 

What makes me disagree with this is that it breaks the tempo of the game (basically, it requires a drop in difficulty to compensate for being stuck with a whole different set of units), and frankly, Genealogy's implementation is no better than that of Fates - hell, I dare say it was even worse.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

27 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I can't really argue with that, but I like having extra options in terms of units - assuming Fates didn't have children, I'd find it very hard to give the likes of Arthur or Niles even so much as a cursory glance (and as is, they're both already among the first units I cut from the team when I have to make cuts). . .

What makes me disagree with this is that it breaks the tempo of the game (basically, it requires a drop in difficulty to compensate for being stuck with a whole different set of units), and frankly, Genealogy's implementation is no better than that of Fates - hell, I dare say it was even worse.

Huh... that's a new one. I didn't think there'd be someone that would actually criticize Genealogy's 2nd Gen. 

37 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I think it's fine to dislike the pacing of the FE4 gen change ( I personally like a narrative to have a drop in tension, I kind of like it for games too, but to each their own), but I think it's taking the argument to a pretty extreme place.  The kids in Fates have literally no relevance, they are born, in this nebulous time(is there even enough time in the Fates narrative for the 9 months of human gestation to occur?), they go to their hyperbolic time chamber and then they come out.  They don't serve a purpose in the plot, outside of supports they don't interact at all, and they don't seem to really do much in terms of in-game contribution, Fates is mostly a Corrin and royals run anyway.  

46 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I wouldn't consider a decrease in both player and enemy level to be inherently a drop in difficulty depending on how it was implemented. If anything depending on the skill system used it could be an increase in difficulty because your're landed with a group of units you haven't thoroughly customized yet. But also, aren't there plenty of points in the series where the difficulty gets a bit easier after a plot climax, especially during a perspective shift? Like from Lyn mode to Eliwood mode, or Dawn Brigade to Elincia, or from Awakening chapter 11 to chapter 12 (on any difficulty lower than lunatic)?

1 hour ago, Zasplach said:

I think it's fine to dislike the pacing of the FE4 gen change ( I personally like a narrative to have a drop in tension, I kind of like it for games too, but to each their own), but I think it's taking the argument to a pretty extreme place.  The kids in Fates have literally no relevance, they are born, in this nebulous time(is there even enough time in the Fates narrative for the 9 months of human gestation to occur?), they go to their hyperbolic time chamber and then they come out.  They don't serve a purpose in the plot, outside of supports they don't interact at all, and they don't seem to really do much in terms of in-game contribution, Fates is mostly a Corrin and royals run anyway.  

I was more criticizing Genealogy's implementation from a gameplay perspective - it already has a lot of issues gameplay wise, but its implementation of kids doesn't really make things better, thanks to needing to go out of your way to get them (aside from Sigurd and Deirdre's children and those of Ethlyn and Quan, that is). Granted, they are relevant in the story, but I find that hard to praise in the face of Genealogy's ho-hum gameplay.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Huh... that's a new one. I didn't think there'd be someone that would actually criticize Genealogy's 2nd Gen. 

I'm not the only one - someone else itt wasn't a fan of Genealogy's implementation, albeit for different reasons.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

I wouldn't consider a decrease in both player and enemy level to be inherently a drop in difficulty depending on how it was implemented. If anything depending on the skill system used it could be an increase in difficulty because your're landed with a group of units you haven't thoroughly customized yet. But also, aren't there plenty of points in the series where the difficulty gets a bit easier after a plot climax, especially during a perspective shift? Like from Lyn mode to Eliwood mode, or Dawn Brigade to Elincia, or from Awakening chapter 11 to chapter 12 (on any difficulty lower than lunatic)?

I suppose you do have a point, but Genealogy is the only one where you end up not getting your old units back, which some might see as a turnoff if they liked the old units and/or don't like the new ones.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I find some of these a little difficult to answer.

I'd LIKE to see a Second Generation, but haven't played enough of Genealogy to compare Awakening and Fates to it personally. Additionally, I don't feel Fates handled the children great at all, at least in terms of storytelling for their existence. Being entirely possible to miss them entirely because of the way the game's written. In that respect, I'd say Awakening did the children better to Fates, but again, I still couldn't compare them to Genealogy.

As for whether there should even be children, I'd ask whether it's important in terms of plot or gameplay. Speaking in regards to gameplay they can make it trivially easy but on the other hand, it'd make it very difficult to play without them if you're making them the focus of the gameplay unless it's done like Genealogy in respect of how to use them.

In my opinion own opinion, I'd rather there be a way to get children but it has to be (at the bear minimum) written into the plot to accomodate them.

Hmm, I think if they implement children it should be different.
I like it more if it's handled like in genealogy, but on the other hand I know that other problems for players occur.
They could make something like this. The protagonist travels through time and certain units you can pair from one one time enable new units in the future, maybe the units are also limited to their own time. So you still can use them if you travel back in time, but you cannot mix up characters from future and past until a certain point in plot needs.
you to use them all (final battle/Aftergame/Online Mode).
Of course not all units in the future are through pairing, maybe some can only be born after you fulfill some requirements like saving a village from bandits in the past.

This is maybe not the most creative Idea, but I don't now how to manage it otherwise without any strange dimension they came up with. They should surprise us.

So I also want a little break from children, but I still want to build my ships, but I rather have them limited for certain characters with chemistry.
Fire emblem should not stagnate at the point it is now.

Edited by Stroud

18 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I laughed at this far more than I should have.  Dangitall!

I like tossing out a bit of dark humor when it's not expected.