Opinions on Rowan? (Discussion)

Corbin

So the more I’ve seen content on Warriors, the more I’ve noticed that fans are a lot more divided on the younger Aytolian twin than they are on his older counterpart (given they have opinions at all). So I’d like to know what you think about Rowan as a character. For the sake of objectivity I’m not going to impose my own views and, please, keep it civil.

I'm not surprised that people don't have much to say about Rowan. As he hails from the most often skipped generation.

Oh, I did it again, didn't I? Yeah I'm not surprised there's mixed feelings about Lianna. I think we've all got our own (unhealthy) opinions about how women should talk, think, or look. And I really don't want to be part of that conversation, so I'm going with Rowan. But since I don't have the game yet I can't really provide anything. From what I've been hearing, Rowan's attack strings are slower than that of Lianna, which makes me wonder what aspect of Rowan makes up for it if they share a moveset. These differences are all that's going to matter once Tier List discussion starts rolling around.

As someone who has already played through the story (and gotten most of it) I have mixed feelings on Rowan. Neither pf the twins actually does much outside of gameplay. The early parts of it are the only ones they directly impact and... Rowan did not make a good impression here. He was basically shounen boy displaying all the requisite traits of an idiot hero (I know many people like "dorks" but I find them incredibly annoying). In retrospect it probably wasn't all that bad, but it's how I felt at the time. Didn't help when they 

Spoiler

made him the victim of Fates plot disease. They had him moan all throughout the chapter to get you to hurry (while hogging all the attention in what was supposed to be Takumi's focus chapter).

That certainly didn't endear him to me.

With all that said, the few supports I've read with him weren't all that bad. He was a lot less annoying for one.

Another thing I liked was that he cried at all (or at least most) of the same story beats that Lianna did. It's probably going to earn him mockery from the "tuff" western fanbase for not being "a real man" but whatever. I thought it was refreshing that the female character wasn't the only one to be emotional and affected by dramatic events.

Speaking of Lianna, I actually ended up liking her a lot. The story didn't really give her time to shine, but her supports showed her as very considerate and struggling with insecurities (something which I easily relate to). I can understand people wanting more variety from female characters, but I still ended up liking her.

Edited by Nanima

He's really eh. He definitely comes off as immature, but I think that's completely intentional (along with Lianna being pretty passive and reserved). The devs stated they were meant to learn and grow from their interactions with other characters (so as to put a spotlight on them, rather than having an Avatar force established ones to play second-string). Really though, I have no strong feelings either way (other than I'm picking him over Lianna).

I'm not a fan of Rowan. I can't speak much about how he behaves in the main story, but I really don't like the way he behaves in his Supports.

Spoiler

He thinks Tacticians are useless (In his support with Robin);

He claims that kings are weak (in his supports with Xander and Marth), also specifically insulting his deceased father (in his support with Xander);

He is incredibly arrogant despite the fact that often he almost gets himself killed (in his support with Takumi).

Edit: Forgot to mention that he also stole Lianna's cookies.

Edited by Luankachu

9 hours ago, Nanima said:

Rowan did not make a good impression here. He was basically shounen boy displaying all the requisite traits of an idiot hero (I know many people like "dorks" but I find them incredibly annoying).

Thats a really good way of putting it. He is most certainly dorky and not just because of his hair. lol On the other hand, Lianna is kind and supportive in her supports. She would likely make a better Ruler than her brother.

Edited by wissenschaft

9 hours ago, Nanima said:

He was basically shounen boy displaying all the requisite traits of an idiot hero (I know many people like "dorks" but I find them incredibly annoying).

Pretty much, at least as far as first impression is concerned. He's not that bad later on, but I wish he didn't have those intro and victory animations, which do highlight the idiot hero aspect.

Maybe the supports would make him look better. I didn't see all the supports (I prefer seeing them in-game), but I did like the one he has with Lucina.

When a game tells me too choose between either male or female, I've always picked male.... until FEW. His hair, his personality, his voice, I couldn't stand it... Even though the choice matters even less than it did in Dragon Quest Heroes, I couldn't pick the dude.

13 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Its funny because his stats are better than Lianna its almost like the game is tricking you in a sense.

His stats are not that much better than Lianna. He is still outclassed by the other sword users like Chrom and Ryoma (especially thanks to these two's default skills of Luna and Astra). Lianna has the advantage of being a good sword user and a staff user. Which means if you pick her you have no need for another healer on your team. Also, shes a good user of magic skill swords (not sure if thats relevant in story mode since I don't know if weapons drop with the magic skill in story mode).

Edited by wissenschaft

1 hour ago, wissenschaft said:

His stats are not that much better than Lianna. He is still outclassed by the other sword users like Chrom and Ryoma (especially thanks to these two's default skills of Luna and Astra). Lianna has the advantage of being a good sword user and a staff user. Which means if you pick her you have no need for another healer on your team. Also, shes a good user of magic skill swords (not sure if thats relevant in story mode since I don't know if weapons drop with the magic skill in story mode).

Yeah but still its funny to me that he has more Speed when the devs stated Lianna was faster originally. 

Magic Skill I don't think drops in story, also relax I wasn't being super serious when I said that :P: 

Haven't played the game but from what I've seen, I disliked him at first but now he's actually pretty adorably dorky. Sure not the best designed but there's just something about this Japanese VA that works for me.

Also maybe because people don't really like him that I start to like him?

4 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Also maybe because people don't really like him that I start to like him?

... This may be me, too. Atm, 'cos so many people are saying they dislike him, I want to give him a chance, despite not liking the designs of either him or his sister. I may regret it, but I'll likely pick him for my playthrough ^.^

I haven't listened to the voice acting, but I will be going with the English dub. No idea how he sounds on either.

8 hours ago, Jedi said:

Yeah but still its funny to me that he has more Speed when the devs stated Lianna was faster originally. 

Magic Skill I don't think drops in story, also relax I wasn't being super serious when I said that :P: 

You don't get the Magic Sword until the final History Mode map, so yeah.

And I totally overlooked the fact that Lianna has higher magic than strength.

10 minutes ago, nocturnal YL said:

You don't get the Magic Sword until the final History Mode map, so yeah.

And I totally overlooked the fact that Lianna has higher magic than strength.

Really? Ouch, that sucks. Because with Lianna' stats and most sword users having lower res then def, she would actually do more damage with a magic sword.

Rowan would have the general offensive advantage for most of the game with Magical Sword being locked to the final history mode map.

Incidentally, Rowan, like Lianna, also has the option to use staves I believe, so it's not like it's something only Lianna can do.

Edited by Folt

On 10/16/2017 at 4:06 PM, wissenschaft said:

Mostly people just mock his super saiyan hairdo. Its really goofy looking. Also male bias because Lianna is rather cute.

This is something I hate about modern gaming. 

If a guy and girl have the same personality the popularity goes to the girls looks. If she’s cute, guy is hated. If she’s ugly, girl is hated. 

Even otherwise, a girls appearance is often one of the first things mentioned when discussing characters. I really don’t like it but it’s always been that way it’s jeut that as I get older I notice how true to life it is 

Both twins can use staves, and as do the Falcon Knights and Corrin. I don't know if they gain staff usage after promotion or if they can do it from the start, though.

I think Rowan and Lianna have different attack animations. If the in-game description (and my memory) is accurate, Lianna is slightly geared towards group fights while Rowan's damage output is more focused in a smaller area.

Even as someone who will defend shounen anime and its protagonists from all the crap they get until his last breath, I can't stand Rowan. The supports of his I've read place him on the wrong side of hubris, as an arrogant, obnoxious idiot that they were trying to make endearingly dorky but failed miserably. Most shounen protagonists work because even if they're book dumb, they tend to be clever or creative enough to make up for it, and they generally have positive traits like a good work ethic, determination, kindness, etc. that balances out their more grating traits. Rowan doesn't even seem to get that.

On 10/18/2017 at 12:04 PM, IEatLasers said:

This is something I hate about modern gaming. 

If a guy and girl have the same personality the popularity goes to the girls looks. If she’s cute, guy is hated. If she’s ugly, girl is hated. 

Even otherwise, a girls appearance is often one of the first things mentioned when discussing characters. I really don’t like it but it’s always been that way it’s jeut that as I get older I notice how true to life it is 

It is sad how true that is. Heck, that's why I see many people giving Female Corrin a pass even though she has the same crappy personality Male Corrin does.

Personally I don't like his personality,  and his character design. From what I've heard they changed both of the twins designs because they looked too much like Alfonse and Shareena 

He's an annoying walking cliché from what I have seen of him. Didn't care for his Japanese VA, and Nicholas Roye's take make him sound like an arrogant cocky brat. Only Fighting Shonen fanatics could ever like someone like Rowan. Lianna is a far more decent character, and has better magic stat to make use of staffs.