Battle Tree team

Zanarkin

I need some help trying to make a battle tree super singles team. I plan on using a Milotic and Alolan Marowak core, but I could use some help deciding what the last pokemon should be as well as just any tips you may have. I wanted to have milotic as more of a tank rather than a toxic stall or something like that. Although I do really like a toxic staller for the battle tree. I had a rental team with a Toxapex stall and it was quite the saviour multiple times.

Milotic @ Sitrus Berry / Iappapa Berry (or the like)
Nature: Modest
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 Hp, 132 Def, 68 sp. Atk, 52 Sp.D, 4 Spe
Moves:
-  Scald
-  Ice Beam 
-  Recover 
-  Protect / Haze / Toxic / Mirror Coat

I was playing with the damage calculator for a while, but these Ev's allow surviving and ohko'ing mega salamence and garchomp (and has 56.3% chance to ohko Mega-Garchomp). Can't really remember why i had the 52 in Sp.Def, but i think it was to allow for a bit more bulk on the special side. the +4 in speed was just leftover due to how ev's work at level 50.

If i were to run with a calm/bold nature, I would likely use a toxic stall set and go with a more defensive spread (tbd). 

A-Marowak @ Thick Club
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Sp.D
Moves:
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Pretty standard A-Marowak. He is just a quick way to deal damage, although he is very slow. He takes care of grass types, electric types, and other bastards who dare threaten milotic.

What third pokemon would work well here? I thought of maybe having a bulky tapu bulu, Spore Breloom with focus sash, or celesteela for stalling [but i would need to get a celesteela first (i have sun)]. I guess Skarmory could work well too. 

Don't worry about stalling, honestly. The trick to Battle Tree is diverse offensive coverage.

Mimikyu is considered by many to be the best Battle Tree mon in the entire game. Disguise means a free Swords Dance and the AI is pretty straight forward so you'll pretty much always get it off. Ghost + Fairy STAB coverage hits everything except Pyroar for neutral or better damage. Something like

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

is really straight forward and collects wins really fast. If you can guarantee to avoid the OHKO, a second Swords Dance lets Shadow Claw sweep way too many things.

Another good option is mixed Koko. 

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb / Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe or 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt / Wild Charge
- Roost / Steel Wing / U-Turn / HP Ice

Can be built to lean more physical or special, depending on your team's needs.

You can also exploit the Battle Tree's limited banlist - Pheromosa, for example, is not banned. You can run the old cancer build that got her kicked out of OU.

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab

U-turn as the primary choice there. Pheromosa outspeeds every legal Pokemon except Ninjask, so outside of scarfs and other boosts, or priority moves, U-turn will basically always go first. And you can run the calcs for yourself, but U-turn deals crazy damage, and High Jump Kick hits super effective damage on most physical walls, shutting many of them down. 
For example: 
252+ Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 228-269 (66.4 - 78.4%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Steelix-Mega: 304-359 (85.8 - 101.4%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 121-144 (49.5 - 59%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Those are the three highest defense Pokemon in the game. The point is, this set deals crazy damage and very few things can wall it.

Other non-banned Ubers include Blaziken/Mega (Speed Boost Power-up Punch set is amazing vs CPUs), Mega-Kangaskhan (Fake Out, PUP, Return, Sucker Punch/EQ. And the AI doesn't understand tricky ways to beat it). Mega-Gengar (bonus points: use a Toxic Spikes lead and you can just spam Hex without having to setup on each Pokemon), Landorus (and although not Uber, all three forces of nature are amazing), Aegislash (Weakness Policy sweeper is 100% viable), Mega-Lucario and Mega-Metagross (though neither is nearly as broken in Battle Tree). 
You can also be a total degenerate and run Shadow Tag Wobbuffet. There's nothing stopping you, and it's a free kill 90% of the time.

I have found very little success with teams that only rely on offense. The best team I had were two offensive pokes (Mega-Scizor with swords dance and choice scarf Flygon) coupled with a toxic stall toxapex. That team did wonders up until battle 41 where i fell due to a godforsaken ohko walrein user that hit 3 times in a row... (I was not expecting it either because in the past the only thing i had faced were stockpille / rest / sleep talk walrein) .

If your aiming for a team to exceed 50+, you want to switch up the teams every 10 battles. The facility will adjust their leads to counter yours, and it will lead you to your demise. 

Here's  team I used to reach 50: 

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite  
Ability: Lightning Rod  
Level: 50  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Leaf Storm  
- Dragon Pulse  
- Energy Ball  
- Protect  

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb  
Ability: Electric Surge  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Discharge  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Thunderbolt
- Protect  

Gyarados @ Waterium Z  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 148 HP / 148 Atk / 4 Def / 148 SpD / 60 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Dragon Dance  
- Waterfall  
- Ice Fang  
- Protect  

Heatran @ Shuca Berry  
Ability: Flash Fire  
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Heat Wave  
- Flash Cannon  
- Earth Power  
- Protect  

Its a basic Discharge Lightning Rod combo, with a Water-Fire-Grass core to back it up. My only complaint is that due to new mega evolution mechanics,  Sceptile-Mega has to wait a turn for the buffs from lightning rod.  

Edited by ZeManaphy

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how well it goes with Milotic and A marowak , but I found Minior to be extremely useful in the battle tree. The Ai is too dumb to realise how its ability works so you are free to set up as they try and fail to use status effects on him.

Acrobatic, Shell smash, earthquake and its rock moves also give it some good moves if I remember correctly.

23 hours ago, Sasori said:

I don't know how well it goes with Milotic and A marowak , but I found Minior to be extremely useful in the battle tree. The Ai is too dumb to realise how its ability works so you are free to set up as they try and fail to use status effects on him.

Acrobatic, Shell smash, earthquake and its rock moves also give it some good moves if I remember correctly.

It has worked fairly well, and the times i lost, i had a good chance of actually beating it. It was just either a matter of staying in or switching, which i can be pretty bad at making that decision sometimes (specially cause some pokemon surprise me). I decided to have an all out attacker Bulu with grassy seed. It works fairly well at taking stuff down. I got to battle 40 (chain of 39) with this team... haven't been able to get that high again though.

Also, the AI doesn't understand lightning rod either. I end-up switching into a thunderbolt, only for the ai to use thunder wave the next turn. It is pretty silly. But once they see it doesn't work, they start attacking, unlike with minior.