[RELEASE] Fates: Conquest Story Overhaul Patch

AgahnimD

Fire Emblem Fates: Good Guy Garon Edition

xwyqTKv.jpgbDq5Oua.jpg

xdb3Vr6.jpgyRJ9Msw.jpg

TRAILER & RECORDED CHAPTERS HERE

HEAD HERE FOR THE LATEST PATCH AND UPDATE NOTES: MAIN THREAD

To use this modification you will need to either have CFW and Luma3DS installed, or another method to modify the game's core files.

Information:

Spoiler

Like many people, I was disappointed in the narrative given in Fire Emblem Fates. For something that claimed to speak to the grey nature of war, there was very little substance given to the Nohrians. I expected an obvious Good vs Evil scenario between the kingdoms, but even when you choose to follow Nohr, no effort was made to make them sympathetic. The most egregious example of this is King Garon, who is just awfully written.

This Conquest route mod seeks to fix this by transforming the pivotal role of King Garon from a cartoonishly evil caricature into a King loyal to Nohr who is slowly losing his mind. Many interactions with the Hoshidan and Nohrian siblings were also altered to give the player character more of a voice and to flesh out the world. IMHO, these changes bring new life to the character's motivation in the Conquest path which are borne throughout to the very end of the game.

I tried to keep as much of the original text and lore as possible while incorporating the new material, however there may be a few areas where things conflict. Please understand.

What this does:

-Replaces the dialogue on the Prologue Chapters (1-5), including Chapter Summaries

-Replaces the dialogue on all chapters of the Conquest Route, including Chapter Summaries

What this does not do:

-This does not make any gameplay changes of any kind

-This does not make any changes to support conversations

-This does not make any changes to paralogue quests

Chapter Videos:

Overview of Changes (Mild Spoilers Within):

Spoiler

General:

Expanded upon the reasons for the war between the two kingdoms. Neither side is blameless, though both claim to be.

Shifted the central theme of the game to emphasize family and the sacrifices one would make for them.

Added weight and consequences to decisions made.

Removed or addressed various plotholes and idiot-ball moments.

Provided a conclusive and satisfying ending to the route, making it its own stand alone game.

Garon:

Spoiler

No longer is a vessel at the start of the game, but is slowly being overwhelmed.

Acts as the stern but fair ruler of Nohr mentioned in supports.

Relationship with Corrin serves as the catalyst to the events in the second half of the game.

Corrin:

Spoiler

Takes a more active role in the decisions made and suffers the consequences as a result.

Grows into maturity over the course of the game.

Is sometimes clever, is FAR less passive, and is 70% less whiny.

Azura:

Spoiler

Takes a more supportive role and serves as a companion, not an instructor, to the player character.

Several key decisions were transferred to Corrin to make them more of a leader.

No longer a master of disguise.

Xander:

Spoiler

Xander's out of character actions were changed to be more in-line with his support self.

No longer blind to the changes in Garon.

Small bits of backstory added to enhance the character.

Camilla:

Spoiler

Backstory added to flesh out the character.

More maternal and supportive lines added to enhance the character.

Leo:

Spoiler

Lines were added to highlight him being the forgotten child.

Elise:

Spoiler

Lines were added within character.

Ryoma:

Spoiler

Is more savvy during encounters with Corrin.

Events in the later chapters are given depth and substance.

Iago:

Spoiler

Now less of a joke in later chapters.

MAJOR SPOILERS:

Spoiler

Anankos:

Spoiler

Plays an active and visible role over the course of the game.

Download (Updated 1/02/18):

Spoiler

Due to differences in the pathway and character limit between the English and Japanese version of the game, you will need to select the version that corresponds to yours. Please note the JPN version still uses the English names and has textual errors in the chapter summaries due to how it handles pronouns.

English version is here.

Japanese version is here.

Installation: (via Luma LayeredFS)

Spoiler

To Install:

Boot up your 3DS Luma’s config menu by holding the SELECT button.

Turn on “Enable Game Patching”

On your 3DS SD card go to “Lumas” folder.

Create a folder called “titles” if there isn’t one

Create a folder with the title of your specific game. For instance, the title for USA FE Fates Special Edition is 0004000000179800.

Unzip FatesGGG into that folder. You’re done!

Special Thanks:

SecretiveCactus for their Fire Emblem Conversation Editor

thane98 for their Fire Emblem Fate’s Editor

DeathChaos25 for their Fates ROM Hacking General Thread

Edited by AgahnimD
Updated OP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've made some significant updates to the original post over at GBATemp, which will give a greater overview of the changes. I have also recorded the first few chapters in case you would like to see the changes without having to mod your 3ds! Link to the first chapter is here.

• AgahnimD changed the title to [RELEASE] Fates: Conquest Story Overhaul

Seriously digging the rewrites. Between Nohr being rewritten to be like Jugdral's Thracia, Garon being a harsh ruler that unified a chaotic region (a la Qin Shi Huang), and the backstabbery of Garon's children in Camilla's backstory you've woven a more mature and complex tale that makes Garon out to be less of a cartoonish villain of wasted potential and turned him into a tragic antivillain.

I'm seriously digging this along with the work you've done on the YouTube uploads; keep this project going, I'll be following it!

On 1/12/2018 at 10:49 PM, Kysafen said:

Seriously digging the rewrites. Between Nohr being rewritten to be like Jugdral's Thracia, Garon being a harsh ruler that unified a chaotic region (a la Qin Shi Huang), and the backstabbery of Garon's children in Camilla's backstory you've woven a more mature and complex tale that makes Garon out to be less of a cartoonish villain of wasted potential and turned him into a tragic antivillain.

I'm seriously digging this along with the work you've done on the YouTube uploads; keep this project going, I'll be following it!

Thank you! I'm very curious to see what you think by the end!

18 hours ago, Solvaij said:

Any chance you'd consider posting a script somewhere? It looks awesome...

I'm working on a Revelations re-write so I unfortunately have my hands too full to parse the script from the programming language. However, you can find find the uploaded chapters here, which also include the vocal and musical changes that add to the experience. Once I'm done with Rev (and possibly BR) I'll see about going back and creating it in a script format!

On 1/14/2018 at 2:42 PM, AgahnimD said:

I unfortunately have my hands too full to parse the script from the programming language.

It should be fairly straightforward with some regex right? If you're trying to exclude certain sequences of characters that the programming language imposes

Or you can simply just tokenize everything and extract the tokens between the double quotes which is where strings are mostly stored in programming languages? There's tons of open source tokenizers that you can plug into the program and just add some logic to iterate through the data structure and extract the dialogue and then untokenize.

On 1/16/2018 at 8:53 AM, sorenwind said:

It should be fairly straightforward with some regex right? If you're trying to exclude certain sequences of characters that the programming language imposes

Or you can simply just tokenize everything and extract the tokens between the double quotes which is where strings are mostly stored in programming languages? There's tons of open source tokenizers that you can plug into the program and just add some logic to iterate through the data structure and extract the dialogue and then untokenize.

I have limited free time, so I'd rather put that creative energy to work on re-writing the Revelations route. In order to transcribe a working script from the program I use, I would need to copy and paste the twenty or so individual sub-chapters, arrange them so they were chronologically consistent, then go in and manually review each section to edit out the remaining artifacts the game uses to process in-game events. This would need to be done for every chapter.

Additionally, this is intended to be experienced as audiovisual media. There are moments, especially in latter chapters, that will completely lose their emotional impact if restricted to simple text. This is why I've gone through the effort of uploading the chapter videos, so people who do not wish to mod their 3DS can still experience the story in its completeness.

• 2 months later...

This looks very promising. Fates' writing was generally lackluster and simplistic, as you noted, and from everything I've seen, your changes look to be a vast improvement. When I get around to trying Conquest again (I lost interest around chapter 8), I'll install your mod and start a new game. Good luck with your planned rewrites to Revelations, too.

• 11 months later...

yo, trying to patch this onto my copy of Fates (which is a birthright physical cart, I have Conquest as DLC) and the patch seems to stop working once I reach chapter 7. I've tried patching using Conquest and Special Edtion's titleID's as well, but it doesn't seem to work. How do I patch this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...