Tempest Trials: Genealogy of Light!

Vaximillian

This is totally becoming a thing. Just you wait until they do another Greil Merc banner and then they release Shinon alongside Mist in a different banner. 

Although I have to admit, looking back it was pretty odd that they would give such an OP unit as ayra for free. 

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Jave said:

Although I have to admit, looking back it was pretty odd that they would give such an OP unit as ayra for free. 

I mean, they gave out Black Knight for free.

9 minutes ago, Jave said:

This is totally becoming a thing. Just you wait until they do another Greil Merc banner and then they release Shinon alongside Mist in a different banner. 

I did point out a few times how strange Ayra as any sort of free unit seemed. BK is powerful, but he doesn't have CYL stats, a CYL weapon, or Swift Sparrow. Guess that's why I'm a lot less surprised than other people.

But yeah, we should assume this will keep happening unless they specifically say otherwise.

Remember the leak that told us FE4 was coming? The leaker said we wouldn't get L'arachel for "at least two months". Did they mean that's how far their knowledge went and she wasn't available in that timeframe or that she would be available two months later?

Having spent 200 Orbs on Ayra as I said, I sincerely hope it's the former scenario. If we get another SS Banner with Myrrh right after this I'm going to be furious.

Back on topic, now that even the Japanese playerbase is angry, what are the odds that IS will try to make up for this at some point? I'm not expecting anything, but an Orb refund/ giveaway would be nice (as would a free Ayra, but I'm not THAT naive).

Edited by DefyingFates

13 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Remember the leak that told us FE4 was coming? The leaker said we wouldn't get L'arachel for "at least two months". Did they mean that's how far their knowledge went and she wasn't available in that timeframe or that she would be available two months later?

Having spent 200 Orbs on Ayra as I said, I sincerely hope it's the former scenario. If we get another SS Banner with Myrrh right after this I'm going to be furious.

Back on topic, now that even the Japanese playerbase is angry, what are the odds that IS will try to make up for this at some point? I'm not expecting anything, but an Orb refund/ giveaway would be nice (as would a free Ayra, but I'm not THAT naive).

i'm guessing that they'll try to do a event to make up for the decision that was tempest focus ayra

2 hours ago, Othin said:

The reward slot occupied by the coins belonged to crystals in previous TTs.

Oh good then, I was getting scared... I want to save orbs for Christmas

... Are you guys seriously expecting some kind of compensation from IS? It seems, FEH spoils people more than it's healthy.

Only Bonus unit is Arvis ... well, at least the multiplier will make this less of a drag. If anything, it will probably make the last ~5 days of TT more interesting.
Arvis, Nohr!Azura, Robin(M) and Nino will probably do it.

Had I known Ayra would come merely 3 days later on a banner that never otherwise introduces new characters I probably wouldn't have rolled a single orb on the Sigurd banner. Had I had any indication ANY new units could come on another banner 3 days later I would have at least waited to spend orbs to see what else there could be.

8 minutes ago, Talandar said:

... Are you guys seriously expecting some kind of compensation from IS? It seems, FEH spoils people more than it's healthy.

Only Bonus unit is Arvis ... well, at least the multiplier will make this less of a drag. If anything, it will probably make the last ~5 days of TT more interesting.
Arvis, Nohr!Azura, Robin(M) and Nino will probably do it.

I don't expect anything, I just don't want IS to pull this type of stunt again.  If and when they do SS or RD TTs I don't want my favorites from those games stuck with older units and with other older units of the same color.  It would have been fine if Ayra was with Sigurd or they released her next month with more new FE 4 units, but sticking her with old units and another red one at that was a bad thing to do to players at least IMO.

I'm not personally disappointed by any one thing regarding the Ayra situation. I'm disappointed by the combination of iffy choices going on here. A fan-favorite character being brought in as a strong unit? Sure, sounds neat. CYL stats and weapon? Weird, but whatever. An exclusive and powerful Special? Also kinda odd, but Black Knight had one too. Not being a free unit? Fine, that was on us for assuming things I guess. Not being on the same banner as the other Genealogy characters? Strange, but three-unit banners aren't uncommon nowadays. Being a new unit introduced on a banner with an old unit that shares the same color, and gives a lower bonus in TT? Probably the most suspicious thing on its own, and worrying for future trends, but it could be worse.

But then you combine everything. A brand new and fan-favorite character with CYL-level stats and weapon, with an exclusive Special, who is introduced and currently only available on a banner with an older red unit that gives a worse bonus in the TT? And all of this when she could've been on the Holy War banner, where she would've at least shared her color with another unit that has CYL-level stats and skills, and would've brought the new unit total up to four, which is arguably more normal than three unit banners? That is what concerns me about Ayra. Too many iffy things are going on all at once with her.

2 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I have to wonder if the decision of making Ayra a desirable gacha unit a nod to how she was the coveted secret rare figure in the set of FE4 blindbox trading figures released in 2006.

https://imgur.com/a/2oztP 

It’s no less scummy though.

I wonder about this as well. I can see the thought process there at least, but that doesn't make it any better, for sure.

1 minute ago, EricaofRenais said:

I don't expect anything, I just don't want IS to pull this type of stunt again.  If and when they do SS or RD TTs I don't want my favorites from those games stuck with older units and with other older units of the same color.  It would have been fine if Ayra was with Sigurd or they released her next month with more new FE 4 units, but sticking her with old units and another red one at that was a bad thing to do to players at least IMO.

Unless IS specifically says they won't do this again, I think we just have to assume that this is how it works now and plan our resource management accordingly.

I think people are making too big of a deal out of the specifics of her banner, anyway. Eldigan doesn't change Ayra's odds of appearing at all aside from breaking the pity rate, and being a 5* exclusive, he's still a rare unit most players don't have.

I actually have a decent selection of 40 bonus units this time (Sigurd, Deidre, Arvis).  I'll probably just do a horse team with Sigurd but if that gets boring I may try an infantry team with Arvis and Deidre.   

I'm a little disappointed that Ayra isn't free, but i do already have a good selection of red units.  I've not been having any luck with the dancer banner so I may switch to her banner and try for her instead.  

At first when CYL units arrived i didnt thinknof powercreep. They are special units afterall. Even with BK and Elincia I didnt think of powercreep. One was free and the other was just a glorified Legendary weapon, but with the release of Sigurd Deirdra and Arya the powercreep is here. I am ok with Legendarys being locked away but those exclusiv not inheritable skills lock them away in their own Tier makein it imposdiblr for old units to come even close. Deirdra straight outshines Julia, Sigurd is on his own class and Arya is busted. What is zhe most critical thing is the fact that their skills cant be inherited to close the gap between existing units and new units. Imho Aryas Special should be inheritable by other melee units so they can catch up. Deirdres Naga should be inheritable to Julia as should Sigurds Tyrfing. Also Sigurds B Skill should be inheritable to infantery melee and horse melee units so they can catch up a bit.

Its also busted they have built in skills in the weapons that arent even in the game yet!!!

Before 2 weeks i wouldnt have talked of a powercrap now ido tough. I am waiting for the Hesler that will render my Azama useless..

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

We're probably getting "Apology" orbs, badges, feathers or...a new event where we get a free 5* that's not Ayra nor Arden. They'll have to make up for this rather soon. 

Free godly Kempf! 

Free Arvis merges would be very welcome as well. 

16 minutes ago, Othin said:

Unless IS specifically says they won't do this again, I think we just have to assume that this is how it works now and plan our resource management accordingly.

I think people are making too big of a deal out of the specifics of her banner, anyway. Eldigan doesn't change Ayra's odds of appearing at all aside from breaking the pity rate, and being a 5* exclusive, he's still a rare unit most players don't have.

He does though, since there are 2 focus reds there is only 1.5% chance of pulling Ayra.  Eldigan may be rare but he is not the best sword horse and unless you really like him I don't think many people are happy to pull him from this banner.

10 minutes ago, Hilda said:

At first when CYL units arrived i didnt thinknof powercreep. They are special units afterall. Even with BK and Elincia I didnt think of powercreep. One was free and the other was just a glorified Legendary weapon, but with the release of Sigurd Deirdra and Arya the powercreep is here. I am ok with Legendarys being locked away but those exclusiv not inheritable skills lock them away in their own Tier makein it imposdiblr for old units to come even close. Deirdra straight outshines Julia, Sigurd is on his own class and Arya is busted. What is zhe most critical thing is the fact that their skills cant be inherited to close the gap between existing units and new units. Imho Aryas Special should be inheritable by other melee units so they can catch up. Deirdres Naga should be inheritable to Julia as should Sigurds Tyrfing. Also Sigurds B Skill should be inheritable to infantery melee and horse melee units so they can catch up a bit.

Its also busted they have built in skills in the weapons that arent even in the game yet!!!

Before 2 weeks i wouldnt have talked of a powercrap now ido tough. I am waiting for the Hesler that will render my Azama useless..

I'm not sure I would count Deirdre as powercreep, honestly. She has more Res than Julia, but also less Atk, HP, and Def (not that the last two matter that much, especially Def). She also has 2 more Spd, but with +Spd for each that gap lessens to only a 1 point difference, and they both take a good bit of work to get their Spd anywhere helpful anyway. She certainly has a nice base kit compared to Julia, but I really don't see any Deirdre fully replacing my own Julia, other than to get HM because Julia's is already maxed out.

7 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

He does though, since there are 2 focus reds there is only 1.5% chance of pulling Ayra.  Eldigan may be rare but he is not the best sword horse and unless you really like him I don't think many people are happy to pull him from this banner.

No, that's not how summoning works at all. If red orbs had a 1.5% chance of being Ayra and a 1.5% chance of being Eldigan while colorless orbs had a 3% chance of being Lachesis, the total odds of getting a focus unit when pulling without respect to orb color would be much less than 3%: it'd be just a bit over 1.5%.

The reality is that the game 3% focus rate is evenly divided among the focus units, so out of all orbs, 1% are Ayra, 1% are Eldigan, and 1% are Lachesis. But in pulling from a specific color, you're multiplying that rate by about 4, because you're only picking the quarter of the orbs that have that character. (Less than 4 for red because it's the most common color, more for green because it's the least common.)

I have a spreadsheet for calculating this stuff. Based on plugging this banner into it: of the red orbs on this banner, 3.21% are Ayra, 3.21% are Eldigan, and 3.32% are other 5*s, for a total 5* rate in red of 9.74%. If Eldigan was replaced with a non-red unit, Ayra's rate would only increase a tiny bit to 3.32%, while the overall 5* rate on red would drop to 6.75%. So unless you'd completely hate to get Eldigan, having him in the color you'd already want to pull is an advantage.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

No, that's not how summoning works at all. If red orbs had a 1.5% chance of being Ayra and a 1.5% chance of being Eldigan while colorless orbs had a 3% chance of being Lachesis, the total odds of getting a focus unit when pulling without respect to orb color would be much less than 3%: it'd be just a bit over 1.5%.

The reality is that the game 3% focus rate is evenly divided among the focus units, so out of all orbs, 1% are Ayra, 1% are Eldigan, and 1% are Lachesis. But in pulling from a specific color, you're multiplying that rate by about 4, because you're only picking the quarter of the orbs that have that character. (Less than 4 for red because it's the most common color, more for green because it's the least common.)

I have a spreadsheet for calculating this stuff. Based on plugging this banner into it: of the red orbs on this banner, 3.21% are Ayra, 3.21% are Eldigan, and 3.32% are other 5*s, for a total 5* rate in red of 9.74%. If Eldigan was replaced with a non-red unit, Ayra's rate would only increase a tiny bit to 3.32%, while the overall 5* rate on red would drop to 6.75%. So unless you'd completely hate to get Eldigan, having him in the color you'd already want to pull is an advantage.

All right I get it, but this is still a bad move for them to do.

I don't really see this whole focus thing as an issue, something similar happened with Ike and Herofest following immediately after.  My main annoyance is with how many uninheritable skills they're handing out nowadays.  I was first annoyed with this when Brave Roy was released (as much as I love him), Blazing Durandal by all means should've been inheritable by Eliwood, but it wasn't.  Instead he's stuck with a completely outclassed prf, not to mention outclassed all around. Same shit with Seliph, really.  Though they aren't the same class.  These Blazing/Holy/whatever weapons would've been perfect for a strengthening quest type thing, like in FGO.  Do a quest and your unit gets an upgraded weapon.  Why the hell not, really?  Brave Roy is still better than Eliwood, stat-wise, so it couldn't possibly hurt.  Why can't Lyn/Ike inherit their Beorc/Sacae blessings to their other alts?  BUT, these were CYL units.  The top of the top, chosen by the fans themselves.  I can accept this.

Now Legion/Berkut/Clarisse didn't have prf weapons, but suddenly Ayra does? Along with a personal special?  What the fuck?  It was acceptable with Black Knight, for obvious reasons, but Ayra being the first astra user isn't nearly enough justification for that.  She didn't even have Major Holy Blood to justify these special snowflake perks.  I could probably accept one or the other, but Ayra also gets boosted BST for no good reason so that's something to consider too.  I guess this is some new IntSys scheme to produce more marketable waifus by dredging them up from the past and making them better than anyone else in their class?  What's next, Mareeta with Balmung, Od's Blessing and armour BST because lol who cares?  Do people even remember Navarre, Lon'qu and Fir anymore?

I am actually unsure of how to feel about Sigurd getting a CYL-like boost.  I feel like it could be okay if they do this with one unit per game, but as Ayra has shown us that isn't the case.  I wouldn't say he outclasses anyone either, since Xander is still great as a defensive red horse.

As for Arvis and Arden with their rings...I feel this could be okay too, but then not. Just one personal skill (or two if you want to count Arvis and his obligatory Valflame) per average unit could help combat future power creep.  The main problem with this is that past units aren't getting shit and it's like "too bad, should've waited to join FEH until IntSys got their heads out of their asses".

I just don't know.  It isn't like I've forgotten FEH is still a mobile game, but they really dropped the ball with this one.

38 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

I'm not sure I would count Deirdre as powercreep, honestly. She has more Res than Julia, but also less Atk, HP, and Def (not that the last two matter that much, especially Def). She also has 2 more Spd, but with +Spd for each that gap lessens to only a 1 point difference, and they both take a good bit of work to get their Spd anywhere helpful anyway. She certainly has a nice base kit compared to Julia, but I really don't see any Deirdre fully replacing my own Julia, other than to get HM because Julia's is already maxed out.

I am not sure how you wouldnt call Divne Naga and Naga a powercreep. One clearly outperforms the other... As I side if Julia (and only Julia) could inherit it i would have no problem. Same goes with Tyrfing and Sigurd/Seliph. The problem i see lately is that so many char exclusiv skills kits are added that the old characters cant even inherit those skills to CLOSE the power gap anymore.

Ayras Regnal Astra is a perfect example. Lonqu Fire Hana etc all could close the now existign gap between Ayra and them if they could inherit the skill from Ayra but they cant its exclusiv and walled. Sol Katti Lyn would be with that Skill on the same Level as Ayra if not even stronger with Sol Katti/Life and Death3/Wrath3, but again she falls behind because exclusiv.

Same with Sigurds Crusaders ward. You can basicly throw all melee units away that arent physical oriented and could be tanky, because they cant inherit this skill... They cant inherit this skill and catch up.

I mean i am fine with exclusiv skills on the CYL units, those were meant to be special, but its going so overboard now that olde characters cant even inherit new skills to catch up?!?!

Just now, Hilda said:

I am not sure how you wouldnt call Divne Naga and Naga a powercreep. One clearly outperforms the other... As I side if Julia (and only Julia) could inherit it i would have no problem. Same goes with Tyrfing and Sigurd/Seliph. The problem i see lately is that so many char exclusiv skills kits are added that the old characters cant even inherit those skills to CLOSE the power gap anymore.

Ayras Regnal Astra is a perfect example. Lonqu Fire Hana etc all could close the now existign gap between Ayra and them if they could inherit the skill from Ayra but they cant its exclusiv and walled. Sol Katti Lyn would be with that Skill on the same Level as Ayra if not even stronger with Sol Katti/Life and Death3/Wrath3, but again she falls behind because exclusiv.

Same with Sigurds Crusaders ward. You can basicly throw all melee units away that arent physical oriented and could be tanky, because they cant inherit this skill... They cant inherit this skill and catch up.

I mean i am fine with exclusiv skills on the CYL units, those were meant to be special, but its going so overboard now that olde characters cant even inherit new skills to catch up?!?!

Divine Naga is certainly more useful when its effect applies, but Naga's effect is more reliable across game modes. In modes like Tempest Trial, I rarely see units with Hones, Fortifies, and Rallies, and it's even more rare to see those units use them well. In cases like that, Naga allows a neutral Julia to greatly lessen the Res gap between her and Deirdre on enemy phase, while keeping her Atk lead. For modes like Arena where those C skills are more commone (and against -blade mages and Horse/Flyer/Armor Emblem in general), Deirdre comes out ahead, but Julia is far from rendered obsolete just based on their tome effects.

Now, Seliph, on the other hand... I feel bad for him. Heroes was never kind to him, but Sigurd just takes every advantage that Seliph had (if he ever truly had any at all), and completely surpasses him in every way, except HP I guess. At least he can still make better use of Panic Ploy...?

3 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I have to wonder if the decision of making Ayra a desirable gacha unit a nod to how she was the coveted secret rare figure in the set of FE4 blindbox trading figures released in 2006.

...maybe even a nod to how uniquely and annoyingly tricky she was to recruit in FE4. 

w/e 

Pulled a 5 Star Sigurd. That's one focus unit from his banner I didn't want (there's an overabundance of competent swordsmen in my roster--dammit, I want mages!)

I'lll use him for the 40% bonus on TT and then probably bench him forever, unless I randomly pull another Hector or the game releases some other way to inherit distant counter. (I'm not sold on the usefulness of a res-tank that can't counter at 2-range)

Xander's super-duper benched if Sigurd ever gets Distant Counter.

Edited by Shoblongoo

I'm probably not as baffled as other people about Ayra being in the same banner as Eldigan because I want both of those characters, but at the same time I still wanna summon from the main FE4 banner and the Performing Arts one. C'mon game I don't have the orbs right now.

57 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...maybe even a nod to how uniquely and annoyingly tricky she was to recruit in FE4. 

w/e 

Pulled a 5 Star Sigurd. That's one focus unit from his banner I didn't want (there's an overabundance of competent swordsmen in my roster--dammit, I want mages!)

I'lll use him for the 40% bonus on TT and then probably bench him forever, unless I randomly pull another Hector or the game releases some other way to inherit distant counter. (I'm not sold on the usefulness of a res-tank that can't counter at 2-range)

Xander's super-duper benched if Sigurd ever gets Distant Counter.

how is throwing orbs at her a nod to annoyingly tricke to get oO