map sprite palette problem

Nuramon

Hi there :D

I've got a problem with a custom map sprite but first things first:

English isn't my native language, so please pardon me for my so called english "skills".

I'm also fairly new to spriting and ROM-hacking in total, but I try to wrap my head around it.

Anyway, the problem I have is the following.

I took the map sprite of King Zephiel from FE8 and customized it. Therefor I used the colours that were already in the sprite.

After that I tried to insert the map sprite in a clean FE7-ROM via Emblem Magic.

The outcome was rather strange. All colours where randomly swapped.

But see for yourself.

That's the sprite.

and that's the outcome.

I already checked the sprite using usenti and sorted the colours in the right order, but the outcome remains the same.

So what am I doing wrong? >.<

I attached the bitmap for reference.

Sincerely,

Nuramon

map sprit bmp.bmp

If you edited the image in Paint, and then saved it, it ruins the palette indexing, even if you reorder the palette in Usenti afterwards. If you open your .bmp in Usenti now, do you only see one palette on the side, or multiple? If you only see one then the indexing is gone.

What you can do is rip a .bmp from the game and then paste your map sprite image (the entire thing) over it IN USENTI and then save it WITH USENTI. Then try reinserting it. It should work as normal.

I missed the part where you said you used Emblem Magic. I haven't used the program before but it seems like a software glitch as the .bmp you're using seems fine. 

5 hours ago, Nuramon said:

Sadly it didn'd worked.

I see the different palettes in Usenti, pasted my sprite over the ripped once and saved it as a .bmp.

But still the same result..

You'll need to order the palette by pasting one pixel of each color(according to the order you can see downright in em) on the upleft of the image. right now, your image is fine, but its reading the colors in the wrong order.

On 21.10.2017 at 7:27 PM, Kirb1337 said:

You'll need to order the palette by pasting one pixel of each color(according to the order you can see downright in em) on the upleft of the image. right now, your image is fine, but its reading the colors in the wrong order.

It worked! :D Thank you. Both of you.

I didn't know that's the same as with the battle sprites. 

Also good to know that MS paint is wrecking the palette index.

Would it also be possible to save the palettes separatly via usenti and insert them afterwords? (given the case I lost the index by using MS paint)

Edited by Nuramon